New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby Brooklyneagle on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:15 pm

Quality is like oats. If you want good clean oats, you'll have to pay a fair price. If however, you don't mind oats that have been through the horse, they are cheaper.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:35 am

Celtics assistant coach Walter McCarthy wants the job, per today's Herald.

I love Waltah!
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:42 am

DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:Celtics assistant coach Walter McCarthy wants the job, per today's Herald.

I love Waltah!

Herald {l Wrote}:WALTHAM — The list of candidates for the head basketball coach’s position at Boston College includes Walter McCarty, the Herald has learned.

And the Celtics assistant coach acknowledged yesterday he is intent on exploring the possibility.

“I’m very interested,” said McCarty, who spent 71⁄2 years as a player for the Celts. “I want to be highly considered. I love the city. I have great ties in the city. I have a great foundation here, especially with recruiting.

“If you look at Louisville’s 2013 national championship team, four of those five starters were my guys. So I’m very confident in my ability to coach and lead a program. I think that I’m ready.”

After retiring from active duty, McCarty spent three years as an assistant under Rick Pitino in Louisville and moved back to the NBA for one year as an assistant for the Pacers.

Boston College’s basketball fortunes have fallen in recent years, and McCarty said he would relish the opportunity to return it to prominence at a school more known for its football and hockey programs.

“This city loves basketball, and that’s a great university,” McCarty said. “I think the people in the area and the students can be re-engaged with the basketball program. There’s a good fan base. It just needs to be revived and be resurrected with the right person in place who can re-engage the community, who can engage the fan base and bring them back together.

“And it also has to be a person who can bring players to campus who will be a part of not just the program, but the community. I think if you bring the right type of players here and put a good product on the floor, you can do that.”
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:53 am

Have we filled the basketball S&C coaching position yet?
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:05 am

Shaka Smart spoke to VCU commits & their coaches yesterday & assured them he isn't going anywhere

https://twitter.com/AdamFinkelstein/status/448447507069423616
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:20 am

Walsh601 {l Wrote}:
Shaka Smart spoke to VCU commits & their coaches yesterday & assured them he isn't going anywhere

https://twitter.com/AdamFinkelstein/status/448447507069423616

My sources on this board assure me that he, Howland, Heisman and Wooden are the finalists for the prestigious Wake job.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:24 am

he was linked to marquette but... whatever
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:31 am

Word on the street is that Dr.James Naismith is on the short list. I like it for 2 reasons:
1) he knows how to develop a program
B) he knows New England
iii) hiring him will bring back the tradition of digging up grave sites and riding the pony.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:32 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:he was linked to marquette but... whatever

"My sources indicate that Shaka Smart is interested in the BC job." - twballgame

Now he has been linked to the BC job, and just as reliably and with as much credibility as Goodman or Thamel. Oh, and the Wake rumors were first.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:47 am

at this point i don't care who they get as long as they bring back the best wake forest tradition that's ever existed

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:49 am

I just think its funny that the Albany grad thinks the BC job is a good job while the BC grads (other than ATL) prefer to hit themselves with the self-loathing chilice.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:05 am

Does McCarty have any chance? Interesting idea, although I'm not sure if he can coach at all
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:05 am

I want bates to talk to Gregg Marshall. I love the way his teAms play and I think there's a chance he wants to come back east.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:07 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Does McCarty have any chance? Interesting idea, although I'm not sure if he can coach at all

I like the idea, but I'm not sure either. I didn't know that he had 3 years at Louisville, which means that he was learning from Pitino which I think is a good thing. That also means he was doing some recruiting, which is important. You'd need to be really sure about his coaching (he has obviously been with Brad Stevens) but I think it's not the worst thing to at least check on
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:14 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:I want bates to talk to Gregg Marshall. I love the way his teAms play and I think there's a chance he wants to come back east.

I don't think Marshall would come to BC without some sort of major promise of support (and money). But, I'd say he and Howland represent the Alpha and Omega of big time candidates we realistically have a shot (likely a longshot) at hiring.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby WilpertsRevenge on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:38 am

i would prefer we not hire him based on the extra g in greg.
WilpertsRevenge
Carney Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:55 am

McCarty played at Kentucky, coached at Louisville and in the NBA. the ol' crick in my bone make me think he doesn't quite understand the admissions hurdle at BC
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:58 am

McCarty has a better chance of winning a Grammy than landing the BC job.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:12 am

Manhattan coach Steve Masiello will be introduced as the next head coach at USF later this week, multiple sources told CBSSports.com.

The deal is for five years and worth more than $1 million per year.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24499847/manhattans-masiello-expected-to-accept-offer-to-be-usfs-coach
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:35 am

Walsh601 {l Wrote}:
Manhattan coach Steve Masiello will be introduced as the next head coach at USF later this week, multiple sources told CBSSports.com.

The deal is for five years and worth more than $1 million per year.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24499847/manhattans-masiello-expected-to-accept-offer-to-be-usfs-coach

I'm not necessarily a huge fan of Masiello. Manhattan coaches have very spotty records. However, he did represent the up-and-comer types (along with Marshall and Miller) I would prefer over the "best coach who will stay route" (e.g. Schmidt, O'Shea, Lonergan, Jones, Coen, etc). However, I'd wager the admin thinks the opposite.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby tallsy on Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:37 am

With all this SEC talk, I wonder if Rick Stansbury is a candidate. I'd be worried about someone with no NE connections, but we could do worse.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:37 am

I don't think Walter McCarty is a legit candidate.

Anyone who is selling themselves that hard to the media for an open job is basically just pandering for more money or a better job elsewhere.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:08 pm

the fight goes continues says amaker's out:

Amaker staying at Harvard?

by Mark • March 25, 2014

If Boston College wanted to hire Harvard Coach Tommy Amaker as its next basketball coach, it could have simply picked up the phone and told Amaker that he was their first choice and work on a deal to get it done.

According to sources familiar with the process, BC didn’t do that and Amaker is withdrawing his name from consideration.

It is not a done deal, but all indications were pointing toward Amaker removing himself from consideration, although there were also indications that BC could still be working on getting Amaker to change his mind.

The resolution of the issue–either way–is expected in the next few days.

Athletic director Brad Bates consulted several people, brought in a search firm headed by former South Carolina and Vanderbilt coach Eddie Fogler and compiled a list of candidates as replacements for Steve Donahue.

Amaker’s name may or may not have been on that list, but it was on a list.

Amaker reportedly was not pleased with that. His theory was that if someone wanted him to be their coach, it was a plain and simple deal.

He felt that he was beyond the point of auditioning.If you wanted him, offer him the job. If you didn’t want him, don’t bother calling. He did that when he was hired by Seton Hall. He did that when he was hired by Michigan. He did that when Harvard hired him seven years ago.

Bates chose to go the traditional way, of putting a list of several candidates together.

Amaker, who has guided Harvard to 3 consecutive NCAA tournaments and won second round games the past two years, did not want to work under those parameters and reportedly has withdrawn his name from consideration for the BC job.

If that has happened, there might still be some wiggle room to get Amaker back into the mix, but Bates will then have to move to the next names a list that is still being compiled

----------------

I take gumshoes at his word when he says people are out, because he probably still has some connects in the boston area, just not at BC. thus someone from Harvard could very well say to him that amaker is not leaving. from there, he is backing into any bc commentary

I stand by what ive said before re this search
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:16 pm

that was entirely predictable, not complaining at all
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:16 pm

Harvard has never been strong at teaching humility.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:16 pm

Fight Goes Continues {l Wrote}:It is not a done deal, but all indications were pointing toward Amaker removing himself from consideration, although there were also indications that BC could still be working on getting Amaker to change his mind.

The resolution of the issue–either way–is expected in the next few days.

Wait, what? All indications say X, but there were also indications that say not-X, regardless, no one knows but X or not X will be decided soon.

This is from the HJS school of posting. He literally predicted every possible outcome.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:18 pm

Fight Goes Continues {l Wrote}:Amaker’s name may or may not have been on that list, but it was on a list.

Furthermore, what?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:21 pm

Fight Goes Continues {l Wrote}:“Amaker reportedly was not pleased with that. His theory was that if someone wanted him to be their coach, it was a plain and simple deal.”

“there might still be some wiggle room to get Amaker back into the mix”
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:29 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Fight Goes Continues {l Wrote}:Amaker’s name may or may not have been on that list, but it was on a list.

Furthermore, what?

Are you no longer a lawyer?
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:31 pm

My money, fwiw, says Amaker never was a candidate. The main reason being he'd be the same mistake Donahue was (the hot Ivy coach of the moment)
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum