New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby talon on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:59 am

bcmurph {l Wrote}:
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 1m

Dayton has given Archie Miller a contract extension through 2019.

Didn't UNM give Steve Alford a contract extension, too?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:11 am

Marquette and Wake Forest have both reached out and expressed interest to VCU coach Shaka Smart, multiple sources told ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10665268/marquette-golden-eagles-wake-forest-demon-deacons-reach-vcu-rams-coach-shaka-smart
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby Caber91 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:22 am

I really can't see Smart leaving for those two jobs. Marquette has a good history, but it would be a lateral move given the prominence he has given VCU these days. I don't really see him at Wake either. I don't think he would want to go to a school which most would argue is the 4th most popular in the state. FWIW, I think Smart is waiting for a job like UNC to come open - that could take years though. Can Wake money whip him?
Caber91
n00b

Postby talon on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:29 am

Dan Patrick's poll question of the day.

Who is least likely to leave?

Tommy Amaker 39.35%
Gregg Marshall 20.46%
Jabari Parker 17.05%
Joel Embiid 12.72%
Andrew Wiggins 10.41%
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:48 am

Given that Smart turned down UCLA and Marquette doesn't have a president or AD, I'd place that in the snowballs chance in hell category
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:52 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Given that Smart turned down UCLA and Marquette doesn't have a president or AD, I'd place that in the snowballs chance in hell category

does the snowball have a battery in it or is it comprised mostly of ice/slush?

THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!!
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCHerbert on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:54 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Given that Smart turned down UCLA and Marquette doesn't have a president or AD, I'd place that in the snowballs chance in hell category

does the snowball have a battery in it or is it comprised mostly of ice/slush?

THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!!

Sprinkle a little urine on it and we have a West Virginia snowball.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:43 pm

I think Bates is going to surprise us. I think he will wait until Wake and Marquette fill, which will piss everyone off on here as likely Howland and another good coach come off the board. Then BC will be the only show in town. There will definitely be some coaches who may be looking for an out form their spot. the Jay Wright's, the Tom Crean's, and probably a Few(Mark) who we arent even considering. I am not saying that Bates will close on one of these guys, but it wouldnt surprise me after whoever the hire is that we learn that Bates was in contact with some guys who we thought were unavailable.

And for the record, my opinion is that our public perception is going to take a major hit in the next few days. I expect ammaker to release a statement that he is withdrawing his name form the BC job, or even worse " after carefully considering the BC job, I have decided that Harvard is the best spot for me" When we get turned down by an Ivy league coach as we sit in the ACC, it is going to make us look like Cape Cod community College.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby carolina2010 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:11 pm

Johnny Dawkins' son Aubrey was a strong recruiting target for Donahue. (He's a strong contributor at New Hampton.) Anyway, this connection has apparently generated some interest from Dawkins in the BC opening, as his family would prefer to get back east. Also, he's trying to stay ahead of the posse and they were definitely on his heels this season. Just FYI.
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:14 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:I think Bates is going to surprise us. I think he will wait until Wake and Marquette fill, which will piss everyone off on here as likely Howland and another good coach come off the board. Then BC will be the only show in town. There will definitely be some coaches who may be looking for an out form their spot. the Jay Wright's, the Tom Crean's, and probably a Few(Mark) who we arent even considering. I am not saying that Bates will close on one of these guys, but it wouldnt surprise me after whoever the hire is that we learn that Bates was in contact with some guys who we thought were unavailable.

And for the record, my opinion is that our public perception is going to take a major hit in the next few days. I expect ammaker to release a statement that he is withdrawing his name form the BC job, or even worse " after carefully considering the BC job, I have decided that Harvard is the best spot for me" When we get turned down by an Ivy league coach as we sit in the ACC, it is going to make us look like Cape Cod community College.

Amaker does something shitty like that and you bury him and say he was never offered the job and that he was told he was being removed from consideration. Of course, our program would never do it.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:55 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:I think Bates is going to surprise us. I think he will wait until Wake and Marquette fill, which will piss everyone off on here as likely Howland and another good coach come off the board. Then BC will be the only show in town. There will definitely be some coaches who may be looking for an out form their spot. the Jay Wright's, the Tom Crean's, and probably a Few(Mark) who we arent even considering. I am not saying that Bates will close on one of these guys, but it wouldnt surprise me after whoever the hire is that we learn that Bates was in contact with some guys who we thought were unavailable.

Amaker does something shitty like that and you bury him and say he was never offered the job and that he was told he was being removed from consideration. Of course, our program would never do it.

Yup. BC can't be Harvard during the week if they're burying Amaker.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:00 pm

From Blauds, but it does include a quote from Bates:

The Boston College search for a new basketball coach appears to be following a traditional–for this generation of athletic directors–format

BC athletic director Brad Bates reportedly has reached out to former South Carolina and Vanderbilt head coach Eddie Fogler to help find candidates for a replacement for Steve Donahue, who was fired last week.

Such a move, coupled with the word that as of Monday afternoon all was still quiet about contact with Harvard, would suggest that BC is not making Harvard coach Tommy Amaker its primary choice.

Things could change rapidly in the next few days, especially if Fogler puts Amaker at the top of HIS List.

Fogler is well respected for doing a thorough job on vetting candidates and has helped in searches at such places as Auburn, Michigan, Penn State and Vanderbilt.

There is also linkage between Bates and Fogler, who was the head coach of the Commodores from 1989-93.

Bates arrived at Vanderbilt in 1985 as the head strength coach, moved to a job as assistant Athletic director in 1989, moving up the administrative ladder to Senior Associate AD before taking over as Director of Athletics at Miami of Ohio in 2002.

It makes perfect sense for Bates, who is know for his thoroughness in research to contact Fogler about the BC opening.

Bates only response to a question about Fogler was that “I use several people in the business that I trust.”

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=9773
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:04 pm

I would like this idea of using a consultant. Bates is a football guy first and seemed to have botched the bball HC position at Miami due to lack of experience. This would be filling a gap in his skill set.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:11 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Albany Patroons forever, Rapid City Thrillers never.

Where's 'Wardo?

I never actually went to a CBA game, but I like saying Patroons.

Did my where's waldo reference totally miss the mark here?

I see him!
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:55 pm

does Fogler have any idea about what candidate would be best for BC? Does he have any ties to the East Coast? Does he need these ties? I like the idea of a consultant, just not sure if a guy who spent his career in the SEC can relate to a small eastern seabood school.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:03 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:does Fogler have any idea about what candidate would be best for BC? Does he have any ties to the East Coast? Does he need these ties? I like the idea of a consultant, just not sure if a guy who spent his career in the SEC can relate to a small eastern seabood school.

I would think Bates is using Fogler for his basketball acumen. I imagine Fogler is being used to help put together a good list that Bates can choose from.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:18 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:does Fogler have any idea about what candidate would be best for BC? Does he have any ties to the East Coast? Does he need these ties? I like the idea of a consultant, just not sure if a guy who spent his career in the SEC can relate to a small eastern seabood school.

Folger's from New York and started his career at Dematha. I would say he has a good understanding of the northeast.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:19 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Albany Patroons forever, Rapid City Thrillers never.

Where's 'Wardo?

I never actually went to a CBA game, but I like saying Patroons.

Did my where's waldo reference totally miss the mark here?

I see him!

CBA ACTION. IT'S FANTASTIC!
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby talon on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:44 pm

Jerry Meyer @jerrymeyer247 {l Wrote}:Hearing from multiple sources that Shaka Smart to Marquette is after all very likely to happen and happen soon.

http://twitter.com/jerrymeyer247/status ... 1396386816
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:47 pm

talon
Cushing Hall

Postby NJM89 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:53 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
Jerry Meyer @jerrymeyer247 {l Wrote}:Hearing from multiple sources that Shaka Smart to Marquette is after all very likely to happen and happen soon.

Same guy said Howland asking price was too high with Marquette you can say goodbye to him if thats the case.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:30 pm

Walsh601 {l Wrote}:Bates arrived at Vanderbilt in 1985 as the head strength coach

Ah, so he must have been pulling double-duty as Donahue's S & C guy.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:54 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
Walsh601 {l Wrote}:Bates arrived at Vanderbilt in 1985 as the head strength coach

Ah, so he must have been pulling double-duty as Donahue's S & C guy.

i'm sure they had a contraption for that...

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:10 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

Same guy said Howland asking price was too high with Marquette you can say goodbye to him if thats the case.

I don't understand how Howland is demanding more than Shaka. I also don't understand how Shaka turns down UCLA and NCS and instead move to Wisconsin to take a job in a league coaches are fleeing.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:16 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
NJM89 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

I don't understand how Howland is demanding more than Shaka. I also don't understand how Shaka turns down UCLA and NCS and instead move to Wisconsin to take a job in a league coaches are fleeing.

Agree with your second point but the first, if true, seems obvious to me. Howland's track record is pretty sick.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Walsh601 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:16 pm

Houston job is now open as well.
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:16 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Folger's from New York and started his career at Dematha. I would say he has a good understanding of the northeast.

Months ago I mentioned John Pelfrey as a potential candidate. My thought was that he was the top recruiter for the top program when Bates was in the SEC (which essentially is Dazoo's resume). Fogler consulting could reinforce him as a candidate. Further, Fogler's time in South Carolina may also mean that he is very familiar with Marshall (from his time at College of Charleston).

Really just reading tea leaves here from the little info Bates lets out.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby talon on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:29 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
NJM89 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

Shaka is from Wisconsin.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:02 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
NJM89 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

Shaka is from Wisconsin.

He's from Madison. If Shaka wins at Marquette, he then waits for Ryan to retire at Wisconsin, and Shaka gets to go home and finish his career.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:09 pm

Shaka might have overplayed his hand in the past by passing on NC State and UCLA. Maybe he realizes that those sorts of jobs don't keep coming, especially when there is a new flavor of the month. Jumping on Marquette gets him a raise and slight promotion. Plus if he does well there he can still be in line for a Kentucky/Duke/UNC job down the road.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum