Heckmann committed

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Heckmann committed

Postby eepstein0 on Fri May 13, 2011 5:36 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:Does anyone know if Humphries and Swiggert are friends?

I dunno, I'm just excited to see what Coach Donohue has in store this year.

I'm not sure if their gonna be as bad as predicted, we shall sea.

10 wins would be about average. Anything over 15 including any type of post season and I'd be ecstatic.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Bunratty on Fri May 13, 2011 6:23 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:The reason I didn't have daniels starting is because teams almost never start an undersized freshman unless he is a highly touted recruit. I think he should learn from mostly watching in the first season.

That's a good point. However, I read that in 8th and 9th grade, Daniels was the #1 ranked player in the country (for his grade). Since then, he hasn't grown - and therefore slipped in the national rankings. However, by all accounts, he is loaded with skills.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri May 13, 2011 8:00 pm

Bunratty {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:The reason I didn't have daniels starting is because teams almost never start an undersized freshman unless he is a highly touted recruit. I think he should learn from mostly watching in the first season.

That's a good point. However, I read that in 8th and 9th grade, Daniels was the #1 ranked player in the country (for his grade). Since then, he hasn't grown - and therefore slipped in the national rankings. However, by all accounts, he is loaded with skills.

I'm pumped for him, but that is the exact story of Shamari Spears.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri May 13, 2011 9:46 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Love this commit. You never know what'll happen (Elmore).

Don't really understand what you mean by that? Elmore was nothing more than a glorified walk-on who was used to get reggie jackson to come to BC

Elmore left unexpectedly. So, it's nice to fill the roster just in case history repeats.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Fri May 13, 2011 10:05 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:

An undersized PG can overcome the height problem more easily than an undersized PF; he just has to be quick enough.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Fri May 13, 2011 10:14 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Love this commit. You never know what'll happen (Elmore).

Don't really understand what you mean by that? Elmore was nothing more than a glorified walk-on who was used to get reggie jackson to come to BC

Elmore left unexpectedly. So, it's nice to fill the roster just in case history repeats.

Ah, I thought you were trying to say he can be as productive as elmore
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat May 14, 2011 12:23 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:

This is fair, but it is a different position.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Sat May 14, 2011 3:13 pm

Can Coach D recruit football players too?
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sat May 14, 2011 7:04 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Can Coach D recruit football players too?

If we're looking for miracles from him, I'd rather have Kaleb T.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Sat May 14, 2011 11:29 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:

I didn't realize Daniels was a 6'4" 300 lb PF....
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon May 16, 2011 7:52 am

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:

No but Spears was ranked near the top in the country (I'll defer to you h00ps weird0s on the 2002 8/9th grade rankings for the exact number) and didn't grow. Came in with skill, etc.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon May 16, 2011 8:52 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:

No but Spears was ranked near the top in the country (I'll defer to you h00ps weird0s on the 2002 8/9th grade rankings for the exact number) and didn't grow. Came in with skill, etc.

Spears was fat and out of shape under Skinner just like the rest of the roster. Under the current regime he wouldn't have been a star, but he would have been a respectable bench player in the ACC (see Josh Southern as Example A, sort of)
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Mon May 16, 2011 10:43 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:

Spears was fat and out of shape under Skinner just like the rest of the roster. Under the current regime he wouldn't have been a star, but he would have been a respectable bench player in the ACC (see Josh Southern as Example A, sort of)

You really need to keep doing this? :lame
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon May 16, 2011 10:46 am

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:

Stop being so soft. It's the truth. Spears was about 20 lbs overweight when he was here.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby joemack13 on Mon May 16, 2011 12:51 pm

20 lbs sounds like an understatement
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby apbc12 on Mon May 16, 2011 1:42 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:

Stop being so soft. It's the truth. Spears was about 20 lbs overweight when he was here.

I don't think he's disputing your facts, I think he's rightly criticizing your continuing need to dump on Skinner. If you stopped complaining about Skinner and the fact that we have several white wide receivers, we'd never hear from you again.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon May 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Shamari Spears would have fit the Donahue system worse than Corey Raji. Fat or no fat.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon May 16, 2011 3:37 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:

I don't think he's disputing your facts, I think he's rightly criticizing your continuing need to dump on Skinner. If you stopped complaining about Skinner and the fact that we have several white wide receivers, we'd never hear from you again.

It's the white guys returning kicks actually. Get your facts straight geez.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Mon May 16, 2011 3:39 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:

Yeah, this, although there was a 10% chance epstein was kidding with the subsequent Spears line just because it was so over the top.

And no, it's never a good idea to have arms that look like they are composed of tootsie rolls when your job title has "power" in it.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby joemack13 on Mon May 16, 2011 3:49 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:

Yeah, this, although there was a 10% chance epstein was kidding with the subsequent Spears line just because it was so over the top.

And no, it's never a good idea to have arms that look like they are composed of tootsie rolls when your job title has "power" in it.

joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon May 16, 2011 4:11 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:

And no I wasn't kidding on the Spears comment. Notice the improvement conditioning had last season with a much less "talented roster".
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Tue May 17, 2011 11:23 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:

And no I wasn't kidding on the Spears comment. Notice the improvement conditioning had last season with a much less "talented roster".

It is generally true that the more gifted the college player, the lower their work ethic. Combine outstanding skill and outstanding work ethic and you've found someone exceptional. Troy Bell is a good example. Agbai is an example of a marginal talent that worked extremely hard and he was in excellent shape.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby BCMcG on Tue May 17, 2011 11:54 am

Give it up, guys. BC basketball players were terribly out of shape from 1997 to 2010 and we all know who was to blame.

You should have seen this guy when he showed up on campus. He was lean and twice as muscular as when he left.

And, this guy. When he arrived in Chestnut Hill, he weighed 45 pounds. By the time he left, he was a fatty.

Troy Bell was the top athlete in the 2003 NBA draft. "Results of the physical testing done at the NBA's Chicago combine are in, and Boston College's Troy Bell is at the top of the list. Among all players tested, Bell ranked second in vertical jump (41 inches), second in the 3/4-court run (3.06 seconds) and bench pressed the 185-pound bar an impressive 17 times. His combined total score of 299.0477 ranked him far and away the best athlete in the draft. The next closest player was Ohio's Brandon Hunter who scored 290.1428." If only he had entered the draft straight out of high school, his career would have lasted.

Jared Dudley was a fat, out-of-shape kid when he arrived and he turned himself into an NBA caliber athlete. I could go on. For every Spears and Sanders, there are just as many players who turned themselves into exception athletes. I'm not going to credit Skinner with this, just as epstein is trying to discredit Skinner and heap praise on Donahue. Ultimately, it's on the player to put in the effort to make himself better. If Danny Rubin bulks up or Gabe Moton improves his vertical, that's great; good for them. If they don't, I'm not going to get on Donahue because his players don't buy into the system.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum