Your immediate reaction to the Maine loss

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

What is it?

Fire Al
50%
Change the starting line-up
5%
Nothing. Nobody will do anything. Just BC being BC. Al being Al.
45%

Total votes : 42

Re: Your immediate reaction to the Maine loss

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:45 pm

Shredder {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:If you think this team is going to win 10 games in the ACC you're nuts. After we get pasted by Clemson and Duke, the team will mail it in for the season.

Have you not followed BC basketball before? As frustrating as it is in the early goings, these stupid losses are not new. 2004-05 and 2005-05 were great starts but that team of Louis, Craig and Dudley is gone. Now we're stuck with this Jekyll and Hyde team until something shakes up. Even the 20-straight win opening to 2004 had overtime wins over Holy Cross and Yale.

2006-07: losses to Providence, Vermont and Duquesne
2008-09: SLU, Harvard (followed by three straight ACC losses; two at home)

After we get off to a good start in the ACC, you'll still be in Fire Al mode because the Maine-RI-Harvard losses outweigh beating conference opponents and will cost us tournament time.

I am concerned with the team's lack of a reliable post player because Southern is out of the starting lineup (and may very well be labeled a bust at this point) and Dunn and Ravenel have been non-factors so far. Trapani is a good enough scorer but is not a center or power forward who can muscle is way inside.

Also, what you're saying here, is that you accept medicority from our basketball program. It's fine to have all those horrible losses because we do fine in ACC play and then get knocked out in the first round of the NCAA Tournament (which we're getting nowhere near this season). If you're okay with losing to Harvard and Maine all the time and first round NCAA exits, you're in the wrong place.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby auggiebc on Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:52 pm

With the exception of JoePa and Bobby Bowden, every coach of every team in every sport has a shelf life. You can only stay so long in one place no matter how successful you are.

I just think it's time for Al to move on. I appreciate everything he's done for this program and have no ill-will toward him.

It's just simply time for him to go. When you are coaching an ACC basketball program full of veteran players and you lose at home to Maine in a (for all intents and purposes) must-win game, then it's simply just time to go.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:58 pm

Plus, we have always had bad losses. But never this many in one season already. Al has lost this team. If Gene cared about hoops this wouldn't be happening because Al would have to produce to keep his job. Unfortunately we are stuck with Al until he wants to leave.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby uconnite on Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:13 pm

RyanBC {l Wrote}:
uconnite {l Wrote}:my immediate reaction is that you suck

Yukon sucks, worst school ever. go die .

they beat maine
uconnite
n00b

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:36 pm

uconnite {l Wrote}:
RyanBC {l Wrote}:

they beat maine

At the end of the day, you're a UCONN Grad. Nothing says "I'm a failure in life" like a UCONN Diploma hanging on your wall. Ha ha ha, UCONN.....
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:53 pm

uconnite {l Wrote}:
RyanBC {l Wrote}:

they beat maine

This is actually pretty funny.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby screagle on Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:42 pm

my immediate reaction is this is BY FAR al's worst season on the heights. if he wins the regular ACC season and/or the ACC tourney, then i'll take these words back -- but that ain't happening. he lost one player from last year and returned an experienced core of very talented players. tyrese was great, but he wasn't michael jordan. al has simply not demonstrated that he can coach or inspire this team. one or two WTF's to start the season... fine, shaking off the rust and finding a rythym... i get it. but five? (yes, northern iowa counts). not acceptable. i went back and checked the archives -- we have not had more than three OOC WTFs in previous seasons, including al's 98-99 rebuilding year. this season tops the cake and is a complete head scratcher.

i shlepped my ass out to the game in the snow. i cheered and heard my own echoes from the other side of the arena. for what? shot clocks winding down and no warning from the coaching staff. no hustle from the players. no hunger from the floor or the bench. the players don't give a shit and neither does al.

i'll be sitting on my couch during the NJIT game.
screagle
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:19 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
uconnite {l Wrote}:
RyanBC {l Wrote}:

they beat maine

Ryan BC -- 0
uconnite -- 1

And so it begins!
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby dman on Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:41 pm

Greetings all, it has been a while but finally made my way over.

I have been the biggest Al Skinner supporter however I am growing tired of these. These types of losses should not happen. My issue is that since Al has taken over the program, he still has not gotten the program to a point and a level of performance to be above the frey of a Maine, URI, Harvard. I really believe it is time for him to go. We need someone that is going to take this program to a new level. Its never going to get there with Al
dman
n00b

Postby commavegarage on Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:04 pm

dman {l Wrote}:Greetings all, it has been a while but finally made my way over.

Were you with us before?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby dman on Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:41 pm

yup dman1997 from scout world. Much more active a few years ago
dman
n00b

Postby Eagledom on Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:49 pm

I have been the biggest Al Skinner supporter however I am growing tired of these. These types of losses should not happen. My issue is that since Al has taken over the program, he still has not gotten the program to a point and a level of performance to be above the frey of a Maine, URI, Harvard. I really believe it is time for him to go. We need someone that is going to take this program to a new level. Its never going to get there with Al

thank you...been saying that forever. but welcone aboard
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby TheAngryChair on Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:50 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

thank you...been saying that forever. but welcone aboard

You have never been an Al supporter. Stop lying.
Formerly BCEagles25, who still likes BC basketball.
TheAngryChair
n00b

Postby BC923 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:46 pm

:suicide
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:27 am

A few posters have been saying be patient, for the last couple of years. They've said this line up will come around, Al knows what he is doing etc... So, I stopped posting about Al and basketball in general. With losses to Harvard, St. Joes, URI and now Maine, do you pro-Al guys think BC will actually make the tournament? If Al doesn't pull another one out of his butt and make it to the tournament, what do you chalk up the bad season to?

I was talking to a UNC alum/fan. He said, what do you expect, it's BC. I really think this is a sad commentary on the program because I know that is probably the general concensus about BC basketball for most non-BC fans and some Al fans. I really do not understand the Al loyalty at the expense of having a strong BC basketball program.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:24 pm

I don't think Raji is in the doghouse. During this game (and others) I've been convinced he is still playing hurt. Groin injuries just don't go away when you're still playing. Plus I've heard he still hasn't been practicing a whole lot.

Dunn doesn't appear to be hurt. I watched him closely throughout warmups and saw nothing that I took as an injury. He did look like he wasn't overly concerned about warming up because he probably wasn't playing. Not sure what is going on with the big man rotation.

Southern left for the locker room with 7 minutes left, and I figured he wouldn't come back out. He did.

As far as the loss, I've been in Skinner's corner for years. Essentially he has slowly bled away the good faith he has earned with me and witnessing this game was the culmination of the bleeding out. I will continue to support and cheer for BC basketball, but I will not defend Skinner the way I used to because he's making it near impossible to defend him. I'm sure the administration will give him at least through next season, so I'm not holding my breath that something drastic will happen soon.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Heights on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:04 pm

I hope you're right about Raji being still hurt. I don't see him showing any effects or getting any kind of attention during the games though. And he's visibly unhappy to be coming out at key times during the games. It looked like Raji had gone up a level this year, big trouble if he drops off.

I still defend Skinner, but I look at this roster and it's almost as if Al went against his instincts; this is not the kind of group Al has put together throughout his career.

No easy answer either, this can't be fixed in one year.
"We have everyone on our 2010 schedule but the New England Patriots"

Frank Spaziani
Heights
n00b

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:29 pm

If someone did mention this already, sorry for posting it again...but the end of the game was even more horrendous than I thought. Upon leaving I recall thinking BC scored only one point in the final 3 minutes. But in reality their last FG was at 6:02. 0-7 from the floor, 3 TOs, 1 made FT, and 6 minutes later and they lose by 1. What's worse - the fact they only took 7 shots in the last 6 minutes of the game or the fact that they didn't make one of them?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:06 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:If someone did mention this already, sorry for posting it again...but the end of the game was even more horrendous than I thought. Upon leaving I recall thinking BC scored only one point in the final 3 minutes. But in reality their last FG was at 6:02. 0-7 from the floor, 3 TOs, 1 made FT, and 6 minutes later and they lose by 1. What's worse - the fact they only took 7 shots in the last 6 minutes of the game or the fact that they didn't make one of them?

BC couldn't have scored points against a men's rec league team that knew how to play a 2-3 zone. They still would have stood around and jacked 3's.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby doteagle on Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:13 pm

The never ending story. Al could mentor bigs- but never recruits them.
No interior offense again.

Just a shot at our Uconn guest... Having visited that scary minimalist campus. Students should get jail time credit- just for attending.
doteagle
n00b

Postby GodofBeasts94 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:32 am

Heights {l Wrote}:I hope you're right about Raji being still hurt. I don't see him showing any effects or getting any kind of attention during the games though. And he's visibly unhappy to be coming out at key times during the games. It looked like Raji had gone up a level this year, big trouble if he drops off.

I still defend Skinner, but I look at this roster and it's almost as if Al went against his instincts; this is not the kind of group Al has put together throughout his career.

No easy answer either, this can't be fixed in one year.

Word from the bench before the South Carolina game was that Raji is banged up.....
GodofBeasts94
Carney Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:02 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
uconnite {l Wrote}:
RyanBC {l Wrote}:

they beat maine

Agreed.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:12 pm

GodofBeasts94 {l Wrote}:Word from the bench before the South Carolina game was that Raji is banged up.....

Let me guess. It's okay that we lost to Maine because Raji wasn't 100%.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Eagledom on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:49 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
GodofBeasts94 {l Wrote}:Word from the bench before the South Carolina game was that Raji is banged up.....

Let me guess. It's okay that we lost to Maine because Raji wasn't 100%.

No - Maine is really good! And our best player by far was only in his 3rd game back!
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby RyanBC on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:16 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
uconnite {l Wrote}:
RyanBC {l Wrote}:

they beat maine

Ryan BC -- 0
uconnite -- 1

And so it begins!

LOL, ya just saw this. Beating Maine doesn't make up for being a piece of shit school. Yukon beat Maine, BC Lost to Maine. Yukon is still Yukon, and We are BC. case closed.

Enjoy!
RyanBC
Carney Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:52 am

b0mberman recieves text message while at a bar before a wedding in Upstate NY: can you believe we lost to Maine?

(checks score on phone)

Immediate reaction: "Who wants to do a shot?"
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby AdamBC on Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:04 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:b0mberman recieves text message while at a bar before a wedding in Upstate NY: can you believe we lost to Maine?

(checks score on phone)

I thought TRE's wedding was in Florida?
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:08 am

AdamBC {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:b0mberman recieves text message while at a bar before a wedding in Upstate NY: can you believe we lost to Maine?

(checks score on phone)

I DIDN'T GET INVITED.

I wish he and his husband misery and anal warts.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby AdamBC on Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:09 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
AdamBC {l Wrote}:

(checks score on phone)

I DIDN'T GET INVITED.

I wish he and his husband misery and anal warts.

Since his husband is a doctor, they may already be stocking up on the wart creme.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:11 am

if bc doesnt get in the tourney this year, then i think Al needs to go. there is still time to right this ship but it will not be easy. the team will need at least 9 ACC wins and maybe even 10 with some of these WTF losses. i think change would do this program good. we have been underachieving for some years now. that said, i don't see GDF making any changes any time soon unless 1) Skinner disrespects him by flirting with another suitor 2) Skinner start banging cocktail waitresses and dental hygienists two at a time.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum