I'm Just Going to Say It

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

I'm Just Going to Say It

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:36 am

This move makes absolutely no sense unless we get a phenomenal replacement.

Think about it:

-If Gene wanted Al gone, why the fuck didn't he do it at the end of the season? We lost out on a chance for McCaffrey because of it.
-If Al doesn't go to SJU, we're on the hook for $3 million. This basically assures you Gene will go on the cheap for a replacement.
-There have been multiple great possibilities to replace Al in the past two years. We have missed out on all of them by firing him now. The timing just makes no sense.

Look, I wanted Skinner gone, but I was not (and I think very VERY few were) in the anybody but Skinner camp. If Gene could line up a suitable replacement than I would be thrilled to see him leave. Looking at the potential replacements, I am not overwhelmed.

Sure, there are good midmajor coaches- Few, Brad Stevens, etc. But it will take a lot of convincing for them to move (Read: $$$$). Gene won't do that. He can't afford to- now that he's on the hook for millions due to Skinner and Jags.

Again, if we get a suitable replacement I will be thrilled and will call it the right move. I just think given our options I think the chances of doing so are slim.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Re: I'm Just Going to Say It

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:38 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:This move makes absolutely no sense unless we get a phenomenal replacement.

Think about it:

-If Gene wanted Al gone, why the fuck didn't he do it at the end of the season? We lost out on a chance for McCaffrey because of it.
-If Al doesn't go to SJU, we're on the hook for $3 million. This basically assures you Gene will go on the cheap for a replacement.
-There have been multiple great possibilities to replace Al in the past two years. We have missed out on all of them by firing him now. The timing just makes no sense.

Look, I wanted Skinner gone, but I was not (and I think very VERY few were) in the anybody but Skinner camp. If Gene could line up a suitable replacement than I would be thrilled to see him leave. Looking at the potential replacements, I am not overwhelmed.

Sure, there are good midmajor coaches- Few, Brad Stevens, etc. But it will take a lot of convincing for them to move (Read: $$$$). Gene won't do that. He can't afford to- now that he's on the hook for millions due to Skinner and Jags.

Again, if we get a suitable replacement I will be thrilled and will call it the right move. I just think given our options I think the chances of doing so are slim.

Welcome to the HJS/TWB bandwagon. There is plenty of room here.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:40 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Welcome to the HJS bandwagon. There is plenty of room here.

Fixed. You thought he deserved another year based on his record. I didn't and still don't. I think the time to fire Al was three weeks ago.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:41 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:This move makes absolutely no sense unless we get a phenomenal replacement.

Think about it:

Replacement doesn't have to be phenominal to make it a good decision, just better than Al. Al not getting the SJU job does not automatically leave us on the hook for his money. There are other jobs out there, and I have no doubt Skinner will get one and BC will not owe that $3 million. The timing would make sense if the replacements you want to talk to are still playing basketball.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:42 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Think about it:

Replacement doesn't have to be phenominal to make it a good decision, just better than Al. Al not getting the SJU job does not automatically leave us on the hook for his money. There are other jobs out there, and I have no doubt Skinner will get one and BC will not owe that $3 million. The timing would make sense if the replacements you want to talk to are still playing basketball.

Unless the new coach pretty much crashes the program into the ground, they'll be better than Al Skinner. I'll always believe that.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:43 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Think about it:

Unless the new coach pretty much crashes the program into the ground, they'll be better than Al Skinner. I'll always believe that.

This is what I'm hoping.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:45 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Welcome to the HJS bandwagon. There is plenty of room here.

Fixed. You thought he deserved another year based on his record. I didn't and still don't. I think the time to fire Al was three weeks ago.

I didn't think he deserved to be fired, no. I have no problem with him being fired, however.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:46 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Think about it:

It's going to be difficult to find someone below Al, however it could easily happen.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:48 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Think about it:

It's going to be difficult to find someone below Al, however it could easily happen.

...hello Gene DeFilippo.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:48 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Think about it:

...hello Gene DeFilippo.

And this is precisely what I am worried about.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:50 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Think about it:

do you actually believe this? I think there's probably a pretty fair chance this hiring takes the program in the wrong direction. Not saying its not time for Al to go, and it very well could be a great change, but its not difficult to find someone below Al by any means. I mean there are multiple Amaker threads floating around right now.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby auggiebc on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:51 am

I'm in the ABAAAA camp.

Anyone But Al, Als Assistants or Ammaker.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:52 am

Bottom line is that finally, for the first time in a while, I'm excited about BC Basketball. I really don't even care who we hire, it'll at least give me hope that we'll escape from the boredom known as Al Skinner. Not seeing the flex in the first game next year will make me so happy.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:52 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Bottom line is that finally, for the first time in a while, I'm excited about BC Basketball. I really don't even care who we hire, it'll at least give me hope that we'll escape from the boredom known as Al Skinner. Not seeing the flex in the first game next year will make me so happy.

can't disagree with that.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:54 am

BC didn't run a ton of flex this year. Just sayin'.

I agree with the idea that this is exciting and could be great. But it could be a fucking disaster.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:54 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Think about it:

do you actually believe this? I think there's probably a pretty fair chance this hiring takes the program in the wrong direction. Not saying its not time for Al to go, and it very well could be a great change, but its not difficult to find someone below Al by any means. I mean there are multiple Amaker threads floating around right now.

Where Al currently is in terms of effort and performance - yes I absolutely believe it. Most of the probable candidates floating around have both positives and negatives, accomplishments and holes in their resume. People highlight want they want to and ignore the rest. Amaker could bring in some talent and let them play. I don't want him, but it's true.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:55 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Bottom line is that finally, for the first time in a while, I'm excited about BC Basketball. I really don't even care who we hire, it'll at least give me hope that we'll escape from the boredom known as Al Skinner. Not seeing the flex in the first game next year will make me so happy.

can't disagree with that.

A also agree with this...
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:55 am

Boredom with an offensive system is not a reason to get rid of a basketball coach.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:56 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:BC didn't run a ton of flex this year. Just sayin'.

I agree with the idea that this is exciting and could be great. But it could be a fucking disaster.

Boom. I think I have more hand-wringing here than I did with the FB team. The football team attracts the kind of guys that do well at BC. The program is bigger than the coach.That, and our schedule is set up to maintain at least a certain level of respectability.

Basketball has none of those things. True, we have been a mediocre ACC team these last three years (uneven). But there is a basement and we're not there. Frank Haith would probably welcome the company.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:58 am

Nolan Richardson...

,,,his phone rings...

Nolan...its someone with a Yankee accent and he sounds like the Godfather....

Nolan runs to the phone flying across the floor, presses the reciever up to his ear and traps GDf into a long conversaton.

Ok Dorothy 74. you are not in OZ anymore....
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:59 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:

Nolan Richardson...

,,,his phone rings...

Nolan...its someone with a Yankee accent and he sounds like the Godfather....

Nolan runs to the phone flying across the floor, presses the reciever up to his ear and traps GDf into a long conversaton.

Ok Dorothy 74. you are not in OZ anymore....

Is Nolan Richardson still alive?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:59 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:-If Gene wanted Al gone, why the fuck didn't he do it at the end of the season?

This is what bothers me. It looks like once again Gene cares more about some perceived image of "loyalty" than actually winning. That's a bad sign about who the next BC coach will be.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby totheights on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:00 am

I just want a change to the overall culture here at BC. Meaning no Coen's or Amaker's.

Lets get a young face in here that can recruit and build it into the "National Power" the GDF touts us as. The ball is in Gene's court and he needs to spend the money to turn the program around. Now do it.
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:02 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:-If Gene wanted Al gone, why the fuck didn't he do it at the end of the season?

This is what bothers me. It looks like once again Gene cares more about some perceived image of "loyalty" than actually winning. That's a bad sign about who the next BC coach will be.

This is horseshit. He. Gave. Permission. To. Interview. According. To. St. John's.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:04 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

This is horseshit. He. Gave. Permission. To. Interview. According. To. St. John's.

If he's being fired for interviewing, I don't see a difference.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby totheights on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:05 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

More like he had to get permission from the higher ups to potentially spend $3 million on a buyout.
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:06 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

He's not being fired for interviewing. He was told he was being fired last week.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:10 am

What will be the response when people see the flex in the first game under Coach Coen/Cooley? Or the exciting Princeton offense of Coach Mooney?

The truth is that BC could hit a homerun here. Bring in a great coach who will recruit decently well. The reality is that with GDF making the hire, we will get a boring coach, who will never leave but not demand a penny over $650k.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:10 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

IMO, Al's camp's grumblings are that it wasn't a mutual parting (Al being stubborn about assistants to SJU, Al being stubborn abotu assistants to BC = pattern?)*TM Logitano, not about disagreeing about the firing timing or reason.

Nothing points to him being fired for interviewing with SJU. He was either fired beforehand or afterward Gene gave permission. You really think after what happened with football Gene would be scared to give an ultimatum? He clearly didn't, so to me that means it's not Jags Firing 2.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:12 am

HJS {l Wrote}:What will be the response when people see the flex in the first game under Coach Coen/Cooley? Or the exciting Princeton offense of Coach Mooney?

The truth is that BC could hit a homerun here. Bring in a great coach who will recruit decently well. The reality is that with GDF making the hire, we will get a boring coach, who will never leave but not demand a penny over $650k.

The optimism you bring to the table is inspiring.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum