Forde Calls BC a Historical "Underachiever"

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Forde Calls BC a Historical "Underachiever"

Postby bignick33 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:04 pm

I can't disagree with him here.

Boston College. Closest the Eagles have come: Three-time regional runners-up, in 1967, '82 and '94. The '82 team helped break open the bracket by stunning No. 1 seed DePaul before falling to sixth-seeded Phi Slama Jama in the regional final. Where they rank on the underachiever scale: High. Not much excuse for a school from a good basketball city that has been at it as long as the Eagles not to stumble into at least one Final Four.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4838196
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Re: Forde Calls BC a Historical "Underachiever"

Postby AdamBC on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:52 pm

Exalt Forde (sorry nick). That Nova game still stings.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:54 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:I can't disagree with him here.

Boston College. Closest the Eagles have come: Three-time regional runners-up, in 1967, '82 and '94. The '82 team helped break open the bracket by stunning No. 1 seed DePaul before falling to sixth-seeded Phi Slama Jama in the regional final. Where they rank on the underachiever scale: High. Not much excuse for a school from a good basketball city that has been at it as long as the Eagles not to stumble into at least one Final Four.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4838196

How can that be? Skinner is the best BC can do and he can't get to the sweet 16.

Its about time people are starting to see the light.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:57 pm

I love that. "Stumble into the Final Four" Fucking retarded.

This would be ever:

App. School
18 North Carolina, UCLA*
14 Duke
13 Kansas, Kentucky
10 Ohio State*
8 Indiana, Louisville
7 Michigan State
6 Arkansas, Cincinnati, Michigan**, Oklahoma State
5 Georgetown, Houston, Illinois
4 Arizona, Florida, Kansas State, LSU, Oklahoma, Syracuse, UNLV, Utah, Villanova*
3 California, Connecticut, Iowa, Marquette, Memphis*, N.C. State, San Francisco, Texas
2 Baylor, Bradley, CCNY, Colorado, Dartmouth, DePaul, Georgia Tech, Holy Cross, La Salle, Maryland, NYU, Oregon State, Providence, Purdue, St. John's, Stanford, Temple, USC, Virginia, Wisconsin
1 Charlotte, Dayton, Drake, Duquesne, Florida State, George Mason, Georgia, Indiana State, Iowa State, Jacksonville, Loyola (IL), Massachusetts*, Minnesota*, Mississippi State, New Mexico State, Notre Dame, Oregon, Penn, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Princeton, Rutgers, Santa Clara, Seattle, Seton Hall, SMU, St. Bonaventure, St. Joseph's*, UTEP, Wake Forest, Washington, Washington State, West Virginia, Western Kentucky*, Wichita State, Wyoming
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:59 pm

Oh, by the way, the asterisks are for appearances that never actually happened.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:02 pm

AdamBC {l Wrote}:Exalt Forde (sorry nick). That Nova game still stings.

I'll still never know how we pissed that game away. That was our chance. Can't really disagree with the article though, as much as it sucks.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I love that. "Stumble into the Final Four" Fucking retarded.

This would be ever:

App. School
18 North Carolina, UCLA*
14 Duke
13 Kansas, Kentucky
10 Ohio State*
8 Indiana, Louisville
7 Michigan State
4 Arizona, Florida, Kansas State, LSU, Oklahoma, Syracuse, UNLV, Utah, Villanova*
3 California, Connecticut, Iowa, Marquette, Memphis*, N.C. State, San Francisco, Texas
2 Baylor, Bradley, CCNY, Colorado, Dartmouth, DePaul, Georgia Tech, Holy Cross, La Salle, Maryland, NYU, Oregon State, Providence, Purdue, St. John's, Stanford, Temple, USC, Virginia, Wisconsin
1 Charlotte, Dayton, Drake, Duquesne, Florida State, George Mason, Georgia, Indiana State, Iowa State, Jacksonville, Loyola (IL), Massachusetts*, Minnesota*, Mississippi State, New Mexico State, Notre Dame, Oregon, Penn, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Princeton, Rutgers, Santa Clara, Seattle, Seton Hall, SMU, St. Bonaventure, St. Joseph's*, UTEP, Wake Forest, Washington, Washington State, West Virginia, Western Kentucky*, Wichita State, Wyoming

Thats a pretty fucking long list of teams that have made the final 4 at least once.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:04 pm

I agree that it is kind of nuts that BC has never made 1 Final Four given the number of appearances in the tourney. That said, using it as a benchmark, suggesting that it could happen by accident, referring to the basketball town when BC has rarely had homegrown talent are all retarded.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:08 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I agree that it is kind of nuts that BC has never made 1 Final Four given the number of appearances in the tourney. That said, using it as a benchmark, suggesting that it could happen by accident, referring to the basketball town when BC has rarely had homegrown talent are all retarded.

Almost 100 teams have made the FF at least once. BC plays in a major city, surrounded by basketball talent, and has been in one of the top 2 conferences in the country for 30 years. The fact that we haven't made the final 4 one time is most definitely a sign of underachieving. You are such an apologist its pathetic.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:12 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I love that. "Stumble into the Final Four" Fucking retarded.

This would be ever:

App. School
18 North Carolina, UCLA*
14 Duke
13 Kansas, Kentucky
10 Ohio State*
8 Indiana, Louisville
7 Michigan State

Thats a pretty fucking long list of teams that have made the final 4 at least once.

Sort of. Most of the one timers happened 30+ years ago.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I agree that it is kind of nuts that BC has never made 1 Final Four given the number of appearances in the tourney. That said, using it as a benchmark, suggesting that it could happen by accident, referring to the basketball town when BC has rarely had homegrown talent are all retarded.

Almost 100 teams have made the FF at least once. BC plays in a major city, surrounded by basketball talent, and has been in one of the top 2 conferences in the country for 30 years. The fact that we haven't made the final 4 one time is most definitely a sign of underachieving. You are such an apologist its pathetic.

Reading is not a strong suit for you.

And I thought I was an Al apologist. Am I apologizing for Gary Williams, Dr. Tom Davis and Bob Cousy now too?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:29 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

And I thought I was an Al apologist. Am I apologizing for Gary Williams, Dr. Tom Davis and Bob Cousy now too?

can you make a list of the 25-30ish schools that have made it to the final four since al's been to town?

kthxbye

Yea, show us the damn list. Coward!
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

can you make a list of the 25-30ish schools that have made it to the final four since al's been to town?

kthxbye

30 since 1990:

UNC, Duke, Kansas, Michigan State, Indiana, Arizona, Kentucky, Louisville, UNLV, Syracuse, UConn, Florida, Arkansas, Oklahoma State, Maryland, Texas, Wisconsin, LSU, Marquette, Georgia Tech, Cincinnati, George Mason, Utah, Ohio State, Stanford, Oklahoma, G'Town, Illinois, Villanova, Miss. State.

And 4 that never happened:

Michigan, UMass, Memphis, Minnesota
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:54 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:thanks teddy. its amazing that unlv's still stand

BC is going to "trip" into a Final Four or two, as soon as Al steps aside and someone brings some life and energy to this program. People say our fans suck, the fans suck because this team is so boring to watch, that I can't blame the general public for not wanting to waste $50.00 for two tickets to watch this crap.

I suppose we can put the dreams of a new basketball arena out of the picture right? :lame
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:05 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

You have crappy low expectations for the hoops program in general. That's WHY you are an Al apologist and thinks he's awesome for BC.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Shredder on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:06 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I'll still never know how we pissed that game away. That was our chance. Can't really disagree with the article though, as much as it sucks.

Someone who had trouble staying eligible to play also had trouble playing defense when it mattered most. The real what-if for that season is how it would have unfolded had the same player played the entire year with the team.

I agree that it is pretty bad that BC has never made a Final Four while quite a few no-names have been there. Now that the field is 64+1, stumbling in (by winning your conference with no at-larges, then playing a round or two virtually at home) is no longer possible. BC needs a coach who will take us to the next level. It's looking more and more every season that it won't be Al. If the 2004-05 and 2005-06 teams couldn't go deep, I don't know who will.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:12 pm

Shredder {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Someone who had trouble staying eligible to play also had trouble playing defense when it mattered most. The real what-if for that season is how it would have unfolded had the same player played the entire year with the team.

I agree that it is pretty bad that BC has never made a Final Four while quite a few no-names have been there. Now that the field is 64+1, stumbling in (by winning your conference with no at-larges, then playing a round or two virtually at home) is no longer possible. BC needs a coach who will take us to the next level. It's looking more and more every season that it won't be Al. If the 2004-05 and 2005-06 teams couldn't go deep, I don't know who will.

someone else sees the light! There are more and more converts every day.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:16 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}: People say our fans suck, the fans suck because this team is so boring to watch, that I can't blame the general public for not wanting to waste $50.00 for two tickets to watch this crap.

why did the fans suck when byrdman, cookie, junkyard, marshall and the man fka swatta were there?

A. I don't think they were AS bad as they have been the past 2-3 years.
B. The athletic Dept and the Coach need to do a better job of changing the atmosphere.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Shredder on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:27 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}: People say our fans suck, the fans suck because this team is so boring to watch, that I can't blame the general public for not wanting to waste $50.00 for two tickets to watch this crap.

why did the fans suck when byrdman, cookie, junkyard, marshall and the man fka swatta were there?

They didn't. I was a junior in 2005 and students came out for the Big East games. Non-students weren't great but came alive throughout the season. In addition to the Syracuse floor-rushing that year, I remember a late comeback against Villanova during the week where the place was pretty electric. The following year's move to the ACC brought more students to games and although a lot of the hype was for Duke that year, the crowds were good for Georgia Tech, Miami and the other conference games as well as the home opener.

I think a big part of it was that those teams had personality. People knew Smith and Dudley and were excited when *** ******* and Rice broke out. Now I haven't been a student since 2006 but from what I gather, students aren't making signs or internet groups about Sanders.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby shockdoct on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:31 pm

Shredder {l Wrote}:

They didn't. I was a junior in 2005 and students came out for the Big East games. Non-students weren't great but came alive throughout the season. In addition to the Syracuse floor-rushing that year, I remember a late comeback against Villanova during the week where the place was pretty electric. The following year's move to the ACC brought more students to games and although a lot of the hype was for Duke that year, the crowds were good for Georgia Tech, Miami and the other conference games as well as the home opener.

I think a big part of it was that those teams had personality. People knew Smith and Dudley and were excited when *** ******* and Rice broke out. Now I haven't been a student since 2006 but from what I gather, students aren't making signs or internet groups about Sanders.

That villanova midweek game was electric. They came storming back and I recall Dudley put up 35+.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:34 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

You have crappy low expectations for the hoops program in general. That's WHY you are an Al apologist and thinks he's awesome for BC.

Cart -------------------------------------- Horse.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:35 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:
Shredder {l Wrote}:

That villanova midweek game was electric. They came storming back and I recall Dudley put up 35+.

That was the game in which our shot clock operator erred and gave Nova an extra 35 for no reason. The refs tried to replay it (it was the first year of instant replay, IIRC), but BC didn't have an operable monitor court-side. It neatly cost of us the game, and it would have if Nardi hadn't missed a bunch of FTs at the end. Classic BC Athletic Department incompetence.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:53 pm

We've talked about this ad nauseam for the past several years but this team sucks so what else is there to talk about? I became a student in a transition phase for basketball, my freshman year was Dud's senior year. They had the student lottery where I was lucky enough to secure full season tickets as a freshman -for freshmen, sophs, & juniors on this board people offered me several hundred dollars for my tickets. If you didn't get to the arena more than 20 minutes for a noon game you were standing (not sitting like the new students do) in the red seats. People camped out multiple times during "Heights Week" for seats. This connection died when Dudley left.

My sophomore year (Rice's junior year) was an absolute out and out disaster. All there is to be said about this is the best game in the student package was Maryland and here are pictures from 8 minutes before tipoff.

Granted winning solves all but the dropoff from Dudley's senior year to Rice's junior year is mind numbing.

Last year the OOC games suck student wise but in ACC the environment improves and is topped off emotionally by the Duke game. I know BCMurt references this as one of the best games in his 4 years but for me it was the most fake environment I had ever been a part of. There were only three other games where the student section was 75% filled; Wake (when we got embarrassed), VTech, & FSU (which is severely pushing it). These semifans that will show up this weekend when BU comes to town and later next month when UNC & Duke come are completely unbearable and are the students when the nerdification is talked of. Back to the talk of connection between students and players, there is none (outside of maybe Reggie) -and the coach is even worse. The lack of midnight madness has been well-documented but it's in the little things like when the offer to buy full season tickets came out (the lottery has disappeared due to lack of interest) Pat Duquette was quoted, not even Al Skinner. You mean, you couldn't grab Al for one second to give you one sentence with regards to the positive impact of students at games (Lord knows he isn't out recruiting)?

We all know that without the 50 students that go to the games Bapst would be louder but the lack of connection between the players and students is one of the main reasons why student attendance remains only in double digits for every game (except Duke & UNC).
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Cart -------------------------------------- Horse.

either way you slice it, you have low expectations for the hoops program and you think Al is the best we can do.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:18 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

While I agree in part...

How many times has the University of New York made the Final Four? Or Detroit?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:20 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

While I agree in part...

And where the crap is all that inner-city Boston talent? It never seems to appear at BC, or anywhere else for that matter.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:25 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

While I agree in part...

or maryland/georgetown... wait a minute

Those are examples of successful inner-city teams that actually DO take advantage of their talent around them and within the state.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:37 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

While I agree in part...

The point isn't that every school in a big city should be able to be good at basketball. Villanova is a great example of a school that happens to be near a city and gets a ton of talent from that area, as well as surrounding areas. Georgetown and Maryland are two more examples. So is Illinois.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:41 pm

ALSLEEP AT THE WHEEL SKINNER"S entire tenure has been fair to good.

Fair to Good gets you a shot at an Elite 8.

Now BC in the past 3 years has been poor.

:whiteflag :whiteflag :whiteflag

:blah :blah :bored :bored :bored :bored
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCMcG on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:47 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:These semifans that will show up this weekend when BU comes to town and later next month when UNC & Duke come are completely unbearable and are the students when the nerdification is talked of.

Win or lose, I can't wait to storm the court after the Duke game!
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum