2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:38 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Dick:

Who do you think Arizona hires? I also don't understand their sudden Michigan/Carolina push to keep it in the family.

While I will have much to report on 3rd Down Donnie Brown in short order, my insight into the basketball program and Dave Heeke’s thinking is limited as a result of some harsh but fair comments directed at Mr. Albion College during this past year’s Desert Duel.

With that said, I have been told that the feeling is that it’s Lloyd’s job to lose. Stoudamire will get an interview to help raise his profile so that he can hopefully get a better job then Pacific. Basketball people appear to think he has done as well as can be expected at Pacific and they’d like to see him be able to move up to a program that is not at such a horrendous competitive disadvantage with the better teams in its conference. I was told that Heeke was looking at Pope last year, but was not given permission to shit can Miller because of some huge Athletic Department shortfalls caused by the football program utterly imploding under Sumlin and a corresponding fundraising implosion. Of course, now BYU has extended Pope out to 2027 with a big kick up in salary and buyout that Arizona would not be able to overcome, even if Pope was willing to leave Provo for Tucson, which isn’t likely anymore. Of course, the real reason that Heeke is stuck with the Gonzaga assistant as his first option is because Josh Pastner is a scumbag. He was always supposed to eventually return to Tucson—presumably when Sean Miller was ready to retire in a decade or so. That would have put Pastner at 50 years of age or thereabouts—roughly the same age Lute was when he arrived in Tucson. Using booster money to take recruits to strip joints would not be disqualifying for the UofA job in most circumstances—as anyone who watched Chris Mills driving around campus in a red 911 with the vanity plate “Lench Mob” (admittedly, this could have been leftover from his time at Kentucky) or Brian Williams/Bison Dele’s sweet decked out Bronco (admittedly could have been from Maryland) or Matt Othick’s Mercedes (Tarkanian later claimed “Back Door Lute” had outbid him for Othick’s services)—but having a post season ban on your resume after all of Sean Miller’s scumbaggery, took out the future head coach in waiting.

One completely wild ass rumor that is making the rounds is that if Heeke isn’t sold on Lloyd during the interview—which apparently happened this past Friday—that there is some basketball booster pressure to see if Luke Walton, who will certainly be fired by the Kings at the end of the season, has any interest in the job. The feeling in that camp is that Walton had an impossible situation in LA—between the roster being gutted, the front office getting fired, dealing with Magic Johnson’s prima donna act (and Johnson being an incredibly bad executive) and Bron-Bron and the cobbled together 2018-19 roster all getting hurt at the same time and missing the second half of the season. And the Kings will always be the Kings—the only blame there being taking the job in the first place instead of waiting for something better.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:08 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:I really don't care who the coach is as long as he's willing to wear a mock turtleneck from Eastern Clothing of Watertown.

I'm shocked that no one has yet mentioned the most obvious candidate. We don't deserve nice things when we can't come up with layup elite coaches (while tying ourselves in knots over Coen, Gates and Eisley).
There is a readily available... minority head coach... in his 40s... familiar with New England... 17 years in the NBA... and coached his team to a National Championship.

I was deep into Division III coaching staffs before I realized who you were talking about. NCAA violations notwithstanding, he couldn't be any worse than Dennis Gates.

Big miss my DOCTOR Kraft.
https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/31 ... ct-venture
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby durkcal on Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:45 am

yeah, the backstory on Ollie has to be interesting if he can't get hired. If you would tell this board in 2015 that we would have an opening and Kevin Ollie would be available, and yet never even mentioned, no one would believe that. Such is how fast the currents move in college basketball.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:09 am

durkcal {l Wrote}:yeah, the backstory on Ollie has to be interesting if he can't get hired. If you would tell this board in 2015 that we would have an opening and Kevin Ollie would be available, and yet never even mentioned, no one would believe that. Such is how fast the currents move in college basketball.

Ollie was given a show-cause penalty as a result of UConn paying a recruit. He's not hirable as a college coach until 2022. On top of that, he also did enough damage to his reputation as an actual coach that his next job will probably be at a mid-major.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:24 am

:suicide
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
durkcal {l Wrote}:yeah, the backstory on Ollie has to be interesting if he can't get hired. If you would tell this board in 2015 that we would have an opening and Kevin Ollie would be available, and yet never even mentioned, no one would believe that. Such is how fast the currents move in college basketball.

Ollie was given a show-cause penalty as a result of UConn paying a recruit. He's not hirable as a college coach until 2022. On top of that, he also did enough damage to his reputation as an actual coach that his next job will probably be at a mid-major.

He was a regular at a lot of west Hartford bars and was known to keep his actual work schedule pretty light.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:28 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}::suicide
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:

He was a regular at a lot of west Hartford bars and was known to keep his actual work schedule pretty light.

The amusing rumor is that by the time the recruiting violations surfaced, UConn had already resolved to fire the guy. Therefore, the school didn't fight the charges because firing the coach for cause saved them quite a bit of money over merely firing him for not winning games. He's suing the school over this.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:34 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Sean Miller out in Zona. Tough offseason for the Miller boys.

If Tommy Lloyd ends up at Arizona, I will be a bit frustrated. He would have been in the mix last year if not for COVID saving JC. This year we obviously went with "head coaching experience" as a must.

Be a bit frustrated.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:03 pm

Head coaching experience is a must, still stupid.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:04 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

If Tommy Lloyd ends up at Arizona, I will be a bit frustrated. He would have been in the mix last year if not for COVID saving JC. This year we obviously went with "head coaching experience" as a must.

Be a bit frustrated.

Interesting to see that this hire is not getting universal approval within Wildcat nation. Support is a lukewarm 60-40 percent. The McHale Center Mafia seems to think they should have been able to pry away a proven winner of a head coach—frustration that Heeke didn’t take a run at Beard, which I had not heard anything about until today’s hiring was announced. And a lot of angst that they couldn’t make that kind of hire (remember, they lured Olsen away from a far more established Iowa program back in the day and got Miller from Xavier when there were several baby rapists seeking his services) because (a) Heeke imploded the athletic budget and (b) Heeke didn’t cut ties with Miller sooner and got the NCAA sanctions behind them.

Lots of anger at “Mid Major Dave” across the Interwebs.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:51 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Be a bit frustrated.

Interesting to see that this hire is not getting universal approval within Wildcat nation. Support is a lukewarm 60-40 percent. The McHale Center Mafia seems to think they should have been able to pry away a proven winner of a head coach—frustration that Heeke didn’t take a run at Beard, which I had not heard anything about until today’s hiring was announced. And a lot of angst that they couldn’t make that kind of hire (remember, they lured Olsen away from a far more established Iowa program back in the day and got Miller from Xavier when there were several baby rapists seeking his services) because (a) Heeke imploded the athletic budget and (b) Heeke didn’t cut ties with Miller sooner and got the NCAA sanctions behind them.

I think it is understandable. He has lived his entire life in Washington and spent 20 years as an assistant who focused almost exclusively as an international recruiter. For a school like Zona, who views themselves as a basketball blue blood, it is underwhelming. The international thing could've worked at a crap program like BC. But, Zona thinks they should be landing Mickey D diaper dandies. And, then there is the never a head coach thing. Teddy is right that it is idiotic to limit a search (the worse the program, the dumber it is to constrain). Ultimately, you are hiring a person... not a resume. That said, Arizona likely feels that they should be able to poach pretty much any coach they wanted. And, if you were going to go the unproved route, they should've done it with someone from within the family (like a school legend toiling away as Pacific's head coach).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:05 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Be a bit frustrated.

I think it is understandable. He has lived his entire life in Washington and spent 20 years as an assistant who focused almost exclusively as an international recruiter. For a school like Zona, who views themselves as a basketball blue blood, it is underwhelming. The international thing could've worked at a crap program like BC. But, Zona thinks they should be landing Mickey D diaper dandies. And, then there is the never a head coach thing. Teddy is right that it is idiotic to limit a search (the worse the program, the dumber it is to constrain). Ultimately, you are hiring a person... not a resume. That said, Arizona likely feels that they should be able to poach pretty much any coach they wanted. And, if you were going to go the unproved route, they should've done it with someone from within the family (like a school legend toiling away as Pacific's head coach).

It’s entirely understandable, and the truth is it is ridiculous that Heeke kept Miller around for almost two years after he should have been fired or that he didn’t take a run at an established winner like Beard. I get why they didn’t make a run at Moser—probably not the right fit in terms of recruiting—but it does not sit well in Tucson that Oregon has got Altman and UCLA has Cronin and they are taking a chance on a guy who has never run a program. A lot of comparisons being drawn with Hopkins at U-Dub, which is not a good thing.

Interestingly, there was zero clamoring for Stoudemire. And I don’t think his hiring would be better received—more likely, it would be even more of a “meh” reaction. General consensus is he isn’t ready for prime time. He has surpassed expectations at Pacific, which is a graveyard job for football and basketball coaches, but the feeling is that he ought to parlay that into a better mid-major program job and show he can win there before he would be ready for a job like Zona. Nor was there any clamoring for Pastner, because he has pretty much hit a perfect level of medicority since Memphis moved from Conference USA to the AAC—his subsequent performance at Georgia Tech being equally meh (and including a recruiting scandal). Luke Walton is pretty much the only alum who might have entertained the job who would have excited the alumni and fan base.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:18 am

Stoudemire climbing the ranks, Sheed coaching high school ball. We’re getting closer to the ability to field an all Jailblazer staff. I hope someone has the courage to do so.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:27 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Be a bit frustrated.

It’s entirely understandable, and the truth is it is ridiculous that Heeke kept Miller around for almost two years after he should have been fired or that he didn’t take a run at an established winner like Beard. I get why they didn’t make a run at Moser—probably not the right fit in terms of recruiting—but it does not sit well in Tucson that Oregon has got Altman and UCLA has Cronin and they are taking a chance on a guy who has never run a program. A lot of comparisons being drawn with Hopkins at U-Dub, which is not a good thing.

Interestingly, there was zero clamoring for Stoudemire. And I don’t think his hiring would be better received—more likely, it would be even more of a “meh” reaction. General consensus is he isn’t ready for prime time. He has surpassed expectations at Pacific, which is a graveyard job for football and basketball coaches, but the feeling is that he ought to parlay that into a better mid-major program job and show he can win there before he would be ready for a job like Zona. Nor was there any clamoring for Pastner, because he has pretty much hit a perfect level of medicority since Memphis moved from Conference USA to the AAC—his subsequent performance at Georgia Tech being equally meh (and including a recruiting scandal). Luke Walton is pretty much the only alum who might have entertained the job who would have excited the alumni and fan base.

Here's the thing... none of those bolded rationale for not hiring someone is fulfilled by Lloyd. Can't go Moser because of recruiting fit so you choose an international expert? Can't go Stoudemire because he hasn't had sustained success as a mid-major head coach and can't go Pastner because he has mediocre success as a Power 5 head coach, so you choose Lloyd who is a mid-major assistant with zero head coaching success.

Again... you are hiring an actual person for the job and the resume doesn't always show the whole picture. They loved him at Gonzaga like Hopkins was loved in Cuse. But, it feels like one of those walks down Electric Avenue where there are complaints about all known quantities, so you wind up with something that hasn't had a chance to build-up negative groundswell.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri May 21, 2021 10:17 am

This is a counterpoint to those who feel BC should be spending significant resources on the basketball program.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/314 ... ources-say
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri May 21, 2021 1:06 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:This is a counterpoint to those who feel BC should be spending significant resources on the basketball program.

It is smart for the players. I assume most elite talent will start skipping college hoops.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu May 27, 2021 7:10 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:This is a counterpoint to those who feel BC should be spending significant resources on the basketball program.

It is smart for the players. I assume most elite talent will start skipping college hoops.

Blow out your Achilles and it isn’t looking so smart all the sudden without a college degree.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Thu May 27, 2021 10:24 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Blow out your Achilles and it isn’t looking so smart all the sudden without a college degree.

How many of the truly elite kids actually think that way, though?
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri May 28, 2021 6:08 am

BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

How many of the truly elite kids actually think that way, though?

Exactly. I also think the quality of education and degree most of these guys are getting is greatly overvalued.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri May 28, 2021 8:18 am

what degree do you get after a semester and a half, because you know these guys are moving out after their last game is over
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:16 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Lol at Brad Stevens be on the hot seat.

It’s the NBA. Every coach is on the hot seat each minute they are employed. Coaches are the most discarded commodity in that league. If you have no talent, a great coach can have you battling for the 8th seed. If you have talent, the coach doesn’t matter and usually ignored by the aforementioned talent. I think Stevens is excellent and does a great job with a roster that will never win anything. But, if Jayson Tatum or Jaylen Brown ever get pissed at him for any reason, he’s gone before you can say “5th longest tenure in the NBA”.

So your original point was you speaking out of your ass. Got it.

We already know how well you react to selectively reading comments that challenge your safe space. All I ever said was that Stevens likes his life in Wellesley (coming from his friends) and then commented on the fact that no job is ever safe in the NBA. I think the BC job is beneath him and we'd have to make him the highest paid coach in college. It ain't happening unless he wanted out knowing that (despite what you claim) he likely otherwise won't be in the area in 5 years.
Trigger Alert (the following could include statements that readers find objectionable and challenge their delicately-held beliefs. Please use caution while reading and know that the "x" in the upper right corner can be pushed at any moment to remove the content from view) - https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/12/19/ ... is-season/

Personally, I hate the NBA and it is probably partly due to how the league has devolved into something devoid of strategy and systems. I preferred the times where Detroit could scheme its way to a title. Now, the Association is nothing more than a McDonald's All Star game where the only strategy employed is clearing cap space and exacting draft picks from teams desperate for an All Star.

If that's the case, then I think Kerr and Popovich are in play.

Like everything, elvii and teddy being on the same side of an issue assures its inaccuracy.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/ce ... i=BB15ms5q

Coach For Life no longer the head coach of the Celtics. Shocker.
Last edited by HJS on Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:33 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Like everything, elvii and teddy being on the same side of an issue assures its inaccuracy.

while this hot take is pure mo'j fyre, the guy getting promoted within the same organization doesn't necessarily slap the faces of those that said he would not be fired.

it also keeps him close the the wellesley that he loves so much
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:44 am

Is the “guy that goes to the NBA conference finals every year” coaching the Celtics next year? I was assured multiple times in this thread that that was something that was guaranteed. The fact that he is offered by Indiana or a replacement for Danny Ainge is immaterial.

Brad Stevens is no longer the head coach of the Celtics. All that matters is that the posters who are always wrong can continue to wallow in their wrongness.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:23 pm

Wonder what Duke will do after missing out on Carolina’s finest?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:26 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Wonder what Duke will do after missing out on Carolina’s finest?

Brad Stevens. Duh.
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:27 pm

Now that the FBI and NBA make buying players harder, Coach K steps down. Any losses this season will be blamed on one of the floor slappers that takes over.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:00 pm

i can't decide if i am going to hate dook any less without ratface at the helm as the face of the program. my initial lean is to "yes" but it will be interesting to see if that comes to fruition.

does this mean that everyone will have to bend over even more than usual to make sure the foul mouthed cheater goes out with another national championship?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:19 pm

the coach k farewell tour is going to be hard to stomach.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:26 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

It’s the NBA. Every coach is on the hot seat each minute they are employed. Coaches are the most discarded commodity in that league. If you have no talent, a great coach can have you battling for the 8th seed. If you have talent, the coach doesn’t matter and usually ignored by the aforementioned talent. I think Stevens is excellent and does a great job with a roster that will never win anything. But, if Jayson Tatum or Jaylen Brown ever get pissed at him for any reason, he’s gone before you can say “5th longest tenure in the NBA”.

So your original point was you speaking out of your ass. Got it.

We already know how well you react to selectively reading comments that challenge your safe space. All I ever said was that Stevens likes his life in Wellesley (coming from his friends) and then commented on the fact that no job is ever safe in the NBA. I think the BC job is beneath him and we'd have to make him the highest paid coach in college. It ain't happening unless he wanted out knowing that (despite what you claim) he likely otherwise won't be in the area in 5 years.
Trigger Alert (the following could include statements that readers find objectionable and challenge their delicately-held beliefs. Please use caution while reading and know that the "x" in the upper right corner can be pushed at any moment to remove the content from view) - https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/12/19/ ... is-season/

Personally, I hate the NBA and it is probably partly due to how the league has devolved into something devoid of strategy and systems. I preferred the times where Detroit could scheme its way to a title. Now, the Association is nothing more than a McDonald's All Star game where the only strategy employed is clearing cap space and exacting draft picks from teams desperate for an All Star.

If that's the case, then I think Kerr and Popovich are in play.

Now is BC's chance since the Celtics fired him!
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:28 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Is the “guy that goes to the NBA conference finals every year” coaching the Celtics next year? I was assured multiple times in this thread that that was something that was guaranteed. The fact that he is offered by Indiana or a replacement for Danny Ainge is immaterial.

Brad Stevens is no longer the head coach of the Celtics. All that matters is that the posters who are always wrong can continue to wallow in their wrongness.

What matters is you said he would be available to BC. The rest is the strawman you built when people stated the obvious, that he would not be. Classic HJS. I did enjoying predicting it, made some cash.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:38 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i can't decide if i am going to hate dook any less without ratface at the helm as the face of the program. my initial lean is to "yes" but it will be interesting to see if that comes to fruition.

I was really hoping that Paulus was going to get this job as the least likable floor-slapper. But, the guy who got out-coached by Jim Christian, ain't a bad consolation prize.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum