Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:49 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Donahue would never ever, ever recruit a kid like courtney Dunn after watching the way he plays. the forst time he watched him miss the rim from 5 feet out, and shoot bricks at the the free throw line, he would have walked out the door. The problem is that BC needs a big, and this big doesnt necesaarily have to be an offensive weapon.

Side note: neither did skinner, he didn't see his game in person till he was at BC and was pissed at Bonzi when he saw dunn's game

Nothing about this shocks me.

Oh and Courtney Dunn was freaking awful. Donahue has a big in Van Nest who is mobile and can shoot, he just declines to play him big minutes. For all of Van Nest's faults, he's no worse than Southern or Dunn.

Van Nest can't rebound or defend. Thus he is like having a much taller Danny Rubin.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:56 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Donahue would never ever, ever recruit a kid like courtney Dunn after watching the way he plays. the forst time he watched him miss the rim from 5 feet out, and shoot bricks at the the free throw line, he would have walked out the door. The problem is that BC needs a big, and this big doesnt necesaarily have to be an offensive weapon.

Side note: neither did skinner, he didn't see his game in person till he was at BC and was pissed at Bonzi when he saw dunn's game

Oh and Courtney Dunn was freaking awful. Donahue has a big in Van Nest who is mobile and can shoot, he just declines to play him big minutes. For all of Van Nest's faults, he's no worse than Southern or Dunn.

He's worse because he is redundant of the shooting guards. At 7 feet.

Point is that getting a decent 7 footer that can shoot but doesn't rebound sucks worse than getting a below average 7 footer that actually addresses a need. Donahue is assembling a team for H-O-R-S-E
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:02 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Van Nest can't rebound or defend. Thus he is like having a much taller Danny Rubin.

Yep. I'd prefer a big who can do what a big is supposed to do.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:02 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Point is that getting a decent 7 footer that can shoot but doesn't rebound sucks worse than getting a below average 7 footer that actually addresses a need. Donahue is assembling a team for H-O-R-S-E

You need to be able to make shots playing HORSE. This team would absolutely suck at that game.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby branchinator on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:03 pm

I agree with Ballgame here. I thought Cortney Dunn sucked but this team absolutely needs another big who can rebound/defend. And it's not like Dennis Clifford is Tim Duncan out there anyways. Even when healthy, Clifford does not have much of an impact on the offensive end. We need another guy who can do what Clifford does defensively when he's out of the game (or injured). Otherwise, you're left with giving frontcourt minutes to Eddie freaking Odio.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:03 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

You need to be able to make shots playing HORSE. This team would absolutely suck at that game.

I didn't say it was a good HORSE team.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:03 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Yep. I'd prefer a big who can do what a big is supposed to do.

Since that's clearly not on this roster, Van Nest should play more.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:05 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

I didn't say it was a good HORSE team.

Unathletic, short, can't shoot and don't play defense. Pretty good squad we've assembled. You watch BC shoot jumpers in warm-ups and they're all freaking bricks. Incredible
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:41 pm

@TheRecruitScoop
Boston College & Fordham have offered 2013 SG Jon Severe of Christ the King (NY).
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:45 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:@TheRecruitScoop
Boston College & Fordham have offered 2013 SG Jon Severe of Christ the King (NY).

Severe (6'2", 180) has accumulated a mixture of high-major and mid-major offers over the past year, but now appears to be blowing up and attracting a wider range of high-major interest. Everything indicates he'd be a good get, but I'm never optimistic about jumping late into a crowded recruiting scene.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:15 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

Severe (6'2", 180) has accumulated a mixture of high-major and mid-major offers over the past year, but now appears to be blowing up and attracting a wider range of high-major interest. Everything indicates he'd be a good get, but I'm never optimistic about jumping late into a crowded recruiting scene.

Wonder if this is an indication we won't land Jorgenson.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:56 am

31southst {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

Wonder if this is an indication we won't land Jorgenson.

Don't believe so. Severe just lit it up for 37 points the other night. BC offered on the spot following the game, I believe
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby sweetriverbaines on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:39 am

sweetriverbaines
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:52 am

sweetriverbaines {l Wrote}:http://www.msgvarsity.com/brooklyn-bronx/severe-paces-christ-the-king-over-xaverian-1.1328295

Get it done...

Yes please. He looks really good.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:20 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
sweetriverbaines {l Wrote}:http://www.msgvarsity.com/brooklyn-bronx/severe-paces-christ-the-king-over-xaverian-1.1328295

Get it done...

Severe is really good, although apparently something of a late bloomer; that's why he has a bunch of high-major offers, and why some of the really heavy hitters (e.g., Indiana) are thinking seriously about jumping in. I fear that BC is going to get lost in the crowd on this one.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:21 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Get it done...

Severe is really good, although apparently something of a late bloomer; that's why he has a bunch of high-major offers, and why some of the really heavy hitters (e.g., Indiana) are thinking seriously about jumping in. I fear that BC is going to get lost in the crowd on this one.

It because he was the second option on the team until this year
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:32 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Get it done...

It because he was the second option on the team until this year

Thank you; I'd forgotten that Christ the King had Omar Calhoun as its main attraction one class ahead of Severe.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby Brablc on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:14 pm

A guard: Jorgenson or Severe

and

A Big: Kelly, Kanter, Reynolds

And I'll be happy. Get it done.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:16 pm

Brablc {l Wrote}:A guard: Jorgenson or Severe

and

A Big: Kelly, Kanter, Reynolds

And I'll be happy. Get it done.

Recruiting situations like this are where the assistant coaches are expected to earn their salaries. We'll have to hope that, like Odio, they've raised their game when we weren't looking.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby bcmurph on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:56 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Get it done...

SMU, St. John’s, Boston College, Wake Forest, West Virginia and Tennessee have begun recruiting Christ the King shooting guard Jon Severe, the top unsigned senior in the city.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball/rb_edwards_looking_to_head_south_y547FnrVrotzZk9bYNlaNP
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:01 pm

bcmurph {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Get it done...

SMU, St. John’s, Boston College, Wake Forest, West Virginia and Tennessee have begun recruiting Christ the King shooting guard Jon Severe, the top unsigned senior in the city.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball/rb_edwards_looking_to_head_south_y547FnrVrotzZk9bYNlaNP

This list, of course, doesn't mention the schools that started recruiting him last year -- Alabama, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Seton Hall, and most of the Atlantic 10. The list may grow some more; there are other high majors considering whether to offer Severe. As I said above, BC is caught in a mob scene on this one. At least the reporter put us on the list, so we can consider BC still alive in the recruiting contest.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:04 pm

We aren't getting this kid... Looks like he'll be a great player.
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:12 pm

Commits/Recruiting in summary: 50% We don't recruit highly enough ranked players with lots of offers, 50% We shouldn't bother to recruit this highly ranked player with lots of offers because we have no chance to sign him.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:16 pm

What percentage of posters feel that Don needs to target higher ranked players AND do a better job signing the players he targets?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:15 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:What percentage of posters feel that Don needs to target higher ranked players AND do a better job signing the players he targets?

The players he targets are fine. He just can't land any of them. Hopefully he realizes he needs help in recruiting at the end of the year and adds a staff member
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:44 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:What percentage of posters feel that Don needs to target higher ranked players AND do a better job signing the players he targets?

The players he targets are fine. He just can't land any of them. Hopefully he realizes he needs help in recruiting at the end of the year and adds a staff member

Someone with, you know, ACC experience wouldn't be a bad idea.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:00 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Someone with, you know, ACC experience wouldn't be a bad idea.

careful what you wish for...

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCEaglesFan on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:51 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Meh, Graham got him the Cali Kids and Hanlan, so you keep him. But Waheed has only got him Owens and Kampmann has gotten nobody.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:11 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Meh, Graham got him the Cali Kids and Hanlan, so you keep him. But Waheed has only got him Owens and Kampmann has gotten nobody.

Kampmann would be my first choice for re-location
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:45 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Someone with, you know, ACC experience wouldn't be a bad idea.

Now, not to perpetually review the same exercise (of course I am actually doing exactly that) but Coen, Coley, O'Shea were not BigEast experience guys. They were A-10 guys who figured it out.

I'm not saying it would hurt. I'm just saying its not the prerequisite to success it is being presented as. For instance Larranaga has all guys from George Mason.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum