Official Fire Don Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Fire Don Thread

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:10 am

Further to the point about the Don's ineptitude with respect to big men and his inability to recruit 4 and 5s, the following schools have placed 4 or 5s into the NBA over the last 3 years:
Oakland University
Morehead State
Colorado State
Bucknell
Norfolk State
Saint Bonaventure
North Texas
Richmond

Don't tell me that BC couldn't go head to head and win against that level. It is insane that we can't find a serviceable big man. Insane.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:20 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Further to the point about the Don's ineptitude with respect to big men and his inability to recruit 4 and 5s, the following schools have placed 4 or 5s into the NBA over the last 3 years:
Oakland University
Morehead State
Colorado State
Bucknell
Norfolk State
Saint Bonaventure
North Texas
Richmond

Don't tell me that BC couldn't go head to head and win against that level. It is insane that we can't find a serviceable big man. Insane.

As I stated elsewhere (and has been mentioned by others), Don simply does not put a premium on it (it's not something BC can't do... it's something Don doesn't feel the need to do). Just look at this recruiting class... well... look at who Don went after. Even a kid like Uhl is not a true PF... he is more a big wing. A big body down low is simply not in Don's playbook. We can all be frustrated by it, but EVEN WITH A HEALTHY CLIFFORD, we would still get owned by teams physical big men.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:26 am

Not putting a premium on a big man is a gimmick, like "playing without a QB". The Wildcat is a cute gimmick for a couple of plays; run it over and over and Division I teams are going to run train on you.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:35 am

He can't coach, recruit or sell tickets. The program is now at a historical low fanbase wise. The lack of customers due to dbs among other things is epic!

Bruce Pearl needs BC and BC needs Pearl. He knows and loves BC and all the AAU and local HS coaches like him. Pearl can recruit, coach and sell tickets. Given that nobody wanted the job 4 years ago we can forget about getting any established coach even from the A10 to take this job.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Mitch on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:38 am

For the first time in 3 years I got throughly fed up and disgusted with Donohue yesterday.

The Positives:

Very good X's and O's coach
Good eye for offensive talent
Good coach of guards

The Negatives:

His recruits lack swag and energy and Donohue doesn't seem to bring this out in them---look at Anderson---he always looks down in the dumps even when the team is ahead. And he's a captain.

You look at Ed Cooley and Derek Kellogg and they were firing they guys up. Donohue is a downer in that regard. Did you see his dead-pan interview at half-time?

UMass amped up the energy defensively yesterday which parked a 29-8 run---does a Donohue BC team even have that gear? His idea of defense is token pressure---it's totally passive resistive. Under Donohue, we don't even have a full-tilt boogie full court press. We don't attack dribblers like Cotton or Williams even when they are dominating the game---we don't defend the post---we don't box out---we play defense like it's just something you have to do before you get the ball back.

Icing your best player---how many coaches in the USA would have kept Hanlan out the entire first half after his 2nd foul? You think Coach K would have? Ridiculous. (Now one may argue the team was doing well enough without him---my rebuttal to that is that with Hanlan in there they could have opened up a much bigger lead and gotten into UMass' heads---AND---they wouldn't have been icing the best player for the 2nd half)

Calling timeouts with momentum and the lead at the end of the first half in both games---precious timeouts that could have been used in key situations later. Both times---0 for 2, anyway.

The team's best player ALWAYS getting to the stripe repeatedly at the end of games. No strategy otherwise.

Still a dwindling fan base.

No wonder---there's no swag, no excitement.

Still a quiet Conte.

Quiet coach + quiet team = quiet arena

Can't recruit centers---only point forwards. Look what legitimate centers do for PC and UMass. Plus, how important are shot blockers to a defense?

This year because so many starters and players were returning, i thought the team could overcome the weaknesses....and that it would be a year wiser and stronger---and far more aggressive. This team looks worse than last year. It looks like the life was sucked right out of them. This coach isn't bringing it.
Mitch
n00b

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:40 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Given that nobody wanted the job 4 years ago we can forget about getting any established coach even from the A10 to take this job.

I'm not sure how accurate that is. If it is at all accurate, there were likely 2 big contributing factors: (1) GDF being the AD and (2) BC not being able to pay money for a coach (as they just gave the coach they fired a big contract extension).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MaroonNGold on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:57 am

BC fans once again show their fickle and shortsighted nature.
Once again we have the same drivel that was posted about Skinner and O'Brien.
What established coach would come here? I challenge you to name even one.
The best we'll get is a coach hoping to move up and beyond, as Providence got with both Pitino and Barnes.
Though you may cringe at admitting it, BC sports has a credibility problem that hit its peak with our sneaky exit from the Big East and continues to plague us with the long list of fired coaches since Leahy took over.
With our track record, who would trust anything BC says that was not written into a contact ?
Sure, we're in the ACC, but only because of the size of the Boston TV market.
Our chances of landing any effective coach or another Troy Bell are zero.
And that won't change unless one big change is made.
Can you guess what that is?
Until that happens, get used to mediocrity - at best.
MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Location: St. Ignatius, praying for a leader who'll restore BC's trustworthiness.

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:24 pm

MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:BC fans once again show their fickle and shortsighted nature.
Once again we have the same drivel that was posted about Skinner and O'Brien.

This is the Fourth Year under Don and thus far has shown little promise.
Obie was at BC for 10 years.
Skinner was at BC for 13 years.
Three coaches over 27 years is the complete opposite of fickle and shortsighted.
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:What established coach would come here? I challenge you to name even one.
The best we'll get is a coach hoping to move up and beyond, as Providence got with both Pitino and Barnes.

I effing hate whalepants pieces of crap who views negatively the idea of hiring a great coach who ultimately leaves before we want him to go. Just saying.
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:Though you may cringe at admitting it, BC sports has a credibility problem that hit its peak with our sneaky exit from the Big East and continues to plague us with the long list of fired coaches since Leahy took over.

Really? You think BC leaving the Big East still hangs over our head? Seriously??? After all that has happened to that conference... after all the teams that have come and gone... we are still being held back by that? Seriously?
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:With our track record, who would trust anything BC says that was not written into a contact ?

No coach trusts anything a school says that isn't written into their contract.
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:Sure, we're in the ACC, but only because of the size of the Boston TV market.

Really??? This again? BTW... they only reason Mizzou and TAMU is in the SEC and MD and RU are in the B10 and Pitt and SU are in the ACC... are all related to the TV market.
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:Our chances of landing any effective coach or another Troy Bell are zero.

0% is an awfully small percentage. I would probably say that the chances of either happening are a little higher.
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:And that won't change unless one big change is made.
Can you guess what that is?

I don't like Leahy... never have... and look forward to him shoving off. That said, the idea that he gives a crap about sports enough to meddle in coach hiring and firing is comical.
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:Until that happens, get used to mediocrity - at best.

I love when we are terrible, whalepants start talking about mediocrity. Losing to UMass and PC is not medioctrity.

BTW... if this is a gag poster... well played.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:27 pm

Has to be a gag poster. Can't believe there are any real posters talking about leaving the AAC or whatever it is now.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:27 pm

I like Coen. He is Don's equal with regards to Xs and Os. While he hasn't brought in a program changer to Northeastern, he recruited well there for Northeastern and recruited well at BC (Dudley, Agbai and Hinnant were all his) and knows the type of talent required to win at this level. He closed on Dudley by watching game film with him. I also wouldn't mind the flex returning.

The downside is he's not a rah rah and that Skinner's best recruiters are in Lowell and Providence. I would hope Coen would hire an ace recruiter.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:33 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I like Coen. He is Don's equal with regards to Xs and Os. While he hasn't brought in a program changer to Northeastern, he recruited well there for Northeastern and recruited well at BC (Dudley, Agbai and Hinnant were all his) and knows the type of talent required to win at this level. He closed on Dudley by watching game film with him. I also wouldn't mind the flex returning.

The downside is he's not a rah rah and that Skinner's best recruiters are in Lowell and Providence. I would hope Coen would hire an ace recruiter.

I thought that the head coach of Bryant was a lock for the job.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:41 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:It would take an absolute travesty of a season for the Don to be fired. Sorry, but it's true. I thought he was a solid hire who had his work cut out for him but had the attitude and know-how to get there. I think I've seen all I need to see now. But BC will wait an extra year.

Sadly... this.

Yup. BB employed the same hoops coach for his entire stint at Miami(OH). Charlie Coles made the NCAA tournament 3 times in 16 seasons at Miami(OH).
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:48 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:It would take an absolute travesty of a season for the Don to be fired. Sorry, but it's true. I thought he was a solid hire who had his work cut out for him but had the attitude and know-how to get there. I think I've seen all I need to see now. But BC will wait an extra year.

Sadly... this.

Yup. BB employed the same hoops coach for his entire stint at Miami(OH). Charlie Coles made the NCAA tournament 3 times in 16 seasons at Miami(OH).

when can we start the official fire brad bates thread?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:49 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I love when we are terrible

We know.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby MaroonNGold on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:52 pm

Sorry, HOS, but the long-sorry state of BC sports ain't no gag.

Sorry too that you have to resort to name calling.

You miss the point about the shameful way that Leahy left the BE. When a college President, much less a priest, practices deception on his peers, that creates a lasting lack of trust. Period.

If you get out of Boston and around the country, BC is known as a good school but is not regarded as a force athletically. In large part, that is because of lacking coach stability - in SEVERAL sports. Just look at the record of firings under this regime. Both hoops programs and football. Quite a list of axed folks.

Disagree with your point of Leahy's involvement. If you don't think that he approved the firing of Jags and Skinner, with the
Millions due them on the remainder of their contacts, you don't know the business of college. What A.D. would risk his job by incurring that debt for the school without an OK from his boss?

That Leahy may not know a football from a snowball is just the point. We need a Pres who knows and cares about sports, as ND had with Fr. Hesburg and as we had with Fr. Monan.

Also, I'd have to say that seeing our fate in a negative light is being realistic. I wish it were otherwise but it's not.

Bates seems to be a good hire, mainly because he is honest, innovative and no tyrant. But the boy's hands are tied by the M.O. Of his boss, which ain't good.

Finally, while I don't think Donny Ho will ever be confused with John Wooden, he is a competent and decent man, who is saddled with a hurting horse.

Give the guy a break, and work on the fundamental problem we have.
BC once attracted stars like Abrams, Adams, Agbai, Austin, Bagley, Barros, Bell, Curley, Driscoll, Dudley, Eisley, Evans, Huckaby, Jackson, McCready, Murphy, O'Brien, Rice, Smith, Williams, et al.

Those days are gone.

And who is responsible for that?
MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Location: St. Ignatius, praying for a leader who'll restore BC's trustworthiness.

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I like Coen. He is Don's equal with regards to Xs and Os. While he hasn't brought in a program changer to Northeastern, he recruited well there for Northeastern and recruited well at BC (Dudley, Agbai and Hinnant were all his) and knows the type of talent required to win at this level. He closed on Dudley by watching game film with him. I also wouldn't mind the flex returning.

I thought that the head coach of Bryant was a lock for the job.

Ha. O'Shea really effed himself by taking the Bryant job. If he had just stayed at Ohio, GDF eventually would have hired him.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:25 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:The downside is he's not a rah rah and that Skinner's best recruiters are in Lowell and Providence. I would hope Coen would hire an ace recruiter.

I don't disagree with Cooley but who the hell did Pat Duquette bring into BC after Coen and Cooley left? One of the biggest issues for Skinner besides Moe Cassera sleeping on the job was Duquette.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:37 pm

GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:The downside is he's not a rah rah and that Skinner's best recruiters are in Lowell and Providence. I would hope Coen would hire an ace recruiter.

I don't disagree with Cooley but who the hell did Pat Duquette bring into BC after Coen and Cooley left? One of the biggest issues for Skinner besides Moe Cassera sleeping on the job was Duquette.

That's not all Cassera was doing...
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:40 pm

How can we fire Donahue while we're still fighting the stigma of leaving the Big East?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:44 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:How can we fire Donahue while we're still fighting the stigma of leaving the Big East?

We can't fire Don. He made the schedule hard, it's not his fault.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:48 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

:whammy
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:00 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

:whammy

I LOL'D
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:25 pm

The next head coach will be determined by the amount of money BC has to spend. If BC is willing to pay-up, they will have a lot of options.

I personally don't have much interest in hiring a Skinner assistant. That ship has sailed.
There will obviously be BC alum names like Pearl and Schmidt bandied about. Others can speak better to how realistic those options are.
There will also be a sentiment to make an irrational run at someone like Mark Few, Gregg Marshall and Shaka Smart.
As for coaches out there that BB could potentially have on his list, I don't think any of the following are unrealistic: Jay Wright, Chris Mooney, Buzz Williams, Chris Mack, Jeff Capel, John Pelfrey, Mick Cronin, Mike Hopkins (if he gets tired of waiting for Boeheim), Greg McDermott, Orlando Antigua (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... n-magazine).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:31 pm

For the record, I predicted this thread would happen if I was wrong about them winning 22 games, which I wasn't, yet.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:43 pm

I feel as if Brad Bates would spend the money on a coach. I would prefer we keep Donahue and use that cash to supply him with a recruiter or two, but I actually like our new AD a lot.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:48 pm

Rice, Williams, Jackson, Raji (but we really got him because of BJ), Paris, and Heslip were probably his biggest gets. Duquette was Director of ops until O'Shea left so he wasn't officially recruiting until 2002.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby tallsy on Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:11 pm

A little unconventional but I think Dan Monson should get a look. He didn't do that badly at Minnesota and was partially hampered by the Haskins fallout.

I just hate that these coaching searches get limited to a few names because BC is "unique." It's Chestnut Hill not the rings of Saturn.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:11 pm

anyone suggesting that jay wright is coming here is higher on crack cocaine than those suggesting bruce pearl is coming here
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:13 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:I feel as if Brad Bates would spend the money on a coach. I would prefer we keep Donahue and use that cash to supply him with a recruiter or two, but I actually like our new AD a lot.

i feel as if you dont know how spending on a basketball coach works.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:20 pm

I know for a fact Schmidt would take the job in a second if offered. Heard it from the horses mouth. Pearl would probably take it as it is probably the best job he will be offered. I highly doubt Pearl is considered.

There is also no way on God's Green Earth Jay Wright comes here, but that is no tragedy. He is a terrible X and Is coach.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum