Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:09 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Given that Rogers and Addazio are BFFs, I think you can take Addazio off of any list related to BC.

I think the Addazio bridge was burned years ago.

That's a shame, he would be a really good fit.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BrightonEagle on Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:30 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:What about the local guy who coached all of the MacFuggers in high school?

Biff Bullkey? He died in 2010. Great coach. Coached for 34 years, and never lost to Walpole.

That's more than Spaz can say. I don't believe he's ever beaten Walpole once in the last three years.

Correct. Spaz has never won a single game on Thanksgiving.

One time TOB ruined my Thanksgiving.

I don't think BC has played on Thanksgiving since the early 1930s.

Was it the day after Thanksgiving against Miami? I remember TOB ruining something.

it was thanksgiving night. matt ryan's junior year i think
BrightonEagle
Carney Hall

Postby BrightonEagle on Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:31 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Given that Rogers and Addazio are BFFs, I think you can take Addazio off of any list related to BC.

I think the Addazio bridge was burned years ago.

That's a shame, he would be a really good fit.

how was it burned?

atl, could you explain what you meant by saying that spaz won't be out this year, almost no matter what.
BrightonEagle
Carney Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:46 am

Re: Addazio, the story according to this board is that he was supposed to fly up from Florida to interview for the BC job after Jags was fired, but he had to reschedule it a few days later for health reasons (I think he had to have a minor surgery, can't remember) and Gene being anxious to end the sham "national search" just went and hired Spaz without even going through with the Addazio interview. If that's how it actually went down then I can't imagine Addazio would have warm fuzzy thoughts about Gene and BC.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:18 pm

Addazio ain't looking too bad as a candidate today.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:19 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Addazio ain't looking too bad as a candidate today.

Addazio is awesome. He might burn out quickly and have some playcalling defficiencies but it would be fun.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bcnyceagle on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:20 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Addazio ain't looking too bad as a candidate today.

If Addazio the HC stays away from being Addazio the OC, I would not be opposed. It's like an opposite-Spaz.
bcnyceagle
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:29 pm

Since he is BFFs with Rogers, I think you can cross him off the list of candidates so long as GDF is sitting in Yawkey.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bcnyceagle on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:33 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Since he is BFFs with Rogers, I think you can cross him off the list of candidates so long as GDF is sitting in Yawkey.

Do you just dangle these things out there so you can enjoy crushing our spirits?
bcnyceagle
Cushing Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:43 pm

Adazzio--Lokk at Temple today.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:44 pm

bcnyceagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Since he is BFFs with Rogers, I think you can cross him off the list of candidates so long as GDF is sitting in Yawkey.

Do you just dangle these things out there so you can enjoy crushing our spirits?

Yes... yes, I do.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:45 pm

i don't anticipate another GDF lead coaching change. i'm generally less pessimistic than you
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:24 pm

Anyone catch BC Trustee, Bob Kraft on the sidelines of the WVU-LSU game last night talking to Urban Meyer??? One can dream...
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:06 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:iwnh

iwnh?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:07 am

hansen {l Wrote}:

iwnh?

it will never happen
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:15 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

iwnh?

it will never happen

Thanks not that quick yet this morning.

TRE will we have to block our sigs as IT'S WAKE WEEK!
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:38 am

Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:40 am

There are a lot of anti-spaz types. I think you need a birth date post 1950 and a pulse to qualify. I wonder how MD fans are feeling right now?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:41 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

There are a lot of anti-spaz types. I think you need a birth date post 1950 and a pulse to qualify. I wonder how MD fans are feeling right now?

this guy was born post 1970 and he goes to media days!
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:50 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

this guy was born post 1970 and he goes to media days!

what if he has a little league conflict?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:39 am

As I stated in the original post, it is not enjoyable to watch Spaz destroy my alma mater's football program. And, while I am fully aware that GDF may drive this program into the ground, I have to at least pretend that the end of this nightmare is near. In the spirit of trying to do something productive, I am UPDATING the list of potential replacements to discuss how those candidates who are actually coaching (i.e. no mention of guys like Leach, DickRod or Meyer) are doing this season:

College
Steve Addazio - Current Temple Head Coach. Temple is 3-1 with a almost-won loss to PSU and a drubbing of Maryland. Currently is the hotshot coach of the Northeast (though he is doing it with Golden's talent)
Troy Calhoun - Current head coach at Air Force. He is 2-1 with the wins over no one of significance and the one loss coming against TCU. Plays USNA, ND and BSU in the next 4 weeks.
Dave Clawson - Head coach at Bowling Green who Flip would love to be his puppet. Has been horrific at BGU but is off to a decent start (3-1). Hasn't beaten anyone of significance... the loss was by 1-point against Wyoming. Plays WVU next and in about 4 weeks, Temple.
Mario Cristobal - Current head coach at FIU. Currently sits at 3-1 with last weeks loss to the Ragin' Cajuns of Louisiana-Lafayette. But, they have nice wins over UCF and the Ville. Up until this weekend, Cristobal was the hotshot coach of the Southeast. (BTW... Mark Hudspeth is in his first year at ULL and I predict he will be a head coach in the SEC within 3 years... most likely going back to MissState when Mullen leaves for a better gig).
Skip Holtz - Current USF Head Coach. 4-0 with no wins over anyone of significance (depending on what you think of Notre Dame). Play WVU the last game of the year (which will likely decide the NBE Champion). Third to last game is against Al Golden. Other than those 2, Holtz should remain undefeated... and probably in the running for any major job that opens up.
Rob Ianello - Current Akron Head Coach. Continues to be a failure as a head coach this season. Is 1-3 with the sole win over VMI (losses against OSU, Temple and Cincy... all were beatdowns).
K.C. Keeler - The Steve Donahue of College Football. Current legend at Delaware. Currently 3-1... after being smoked by USNA in the first game of the season. Haven't played anyone yet as they close out their season with: WM, Umass, URI, Townson, Richmond and Villanova (a guantlet that BC sadly couldn't navigate through without a loss or two).
Garrick McGee - Current OC at Arkansas. They are 3-1 this year (with the loss coming at the hands of Bama!). Prior to that, they had an opening 3-game schedule ripped straight from the pages of GDF scheduling (i.e. they played no one). Have a ESPN-broadcast game this weekend against TAMU. Offense is averaging close to 450yards and 40points per game.
Bronco Mendenhall - Head coach at BYU. So far, 2-2 on the season with wins over Ole Miss and UCF, a 1-point loss to Texas and then Utah forcing them to be their 4th wife to weeks ago.
Chris Peterson - BSU head coach. 2-0 with a win over Georgia. Literally, doesn't play anyone before or after TCU on 11/19 (which is one of the easiest schedules of any coach out there... which may have been purposely done to anger the evil Lord Xenu).
Mark Stoops - Current DC at FSU. Youngest of the Stoops brothers. Currently 2-2 with wins over no one and losses to Okla and Clem. The defense has been good against everyone except Dabo Sweeney.
Charlie Strong - A star DC with Florida and ND. Finally getting a chance at Louisville. He is 2-1 having played no one (with the loss coming against FIU).
Kevin Sumlin - Head coach at Houston. Currently, 4-0. Haven't played anyone except UCLA. Really won't play anyone all year. Very likely could go undefeated and voila! will be way outside our price range. Think he would be awesome here, though. Current WVU head coach (Dana Holgorsen) was his OC a few years ago, but the offense ain't hurting right now as they lead the NCAA in passing yards and 11th overall in scoring.
Willie Taggart - Current Head Coach at Western Kentucky. Currently 0-3, one of which was against Larry freaking Bird's alma mater. They don't play anyone until they get criminally violated by LSU in mid-Nov.
Don Treadwell - Former BC assistant who was passed over during the "national" search, current HC at Miami (Ohio). Currently 0-3... Mich, Minn and BG.
Kyle Whittingham - A legit top-notch head coach (head coach at Utah). Currently 2-1 with a close loss to USC. Poised to make a very good showing in their first year in the conference.

NFL
Yeah, yeah... I know what Coach Flip said when he fired Jags... but there may be more of a true search if a change is made (and remember we have a Trustee who has connections in the League with Bob Kraft and there is also always the Mara family).
Pete Carmichael Jr. - Current New Orleans Saints OC. The Saints are 2-1 with one of the most potent offenses in the NFL.
Dick Jauron - Current Browns DC. Somewhat surprising 2-1 with the D leading the way.
Josh McDaniels - Offensive Coordinator of the Rams. St. Louis is off to a very disappointing start with the offense among the worst in the NFL.
Bill O'Brien - Pats OC. Currently, 2-1 with the best offense in the NFL.
Mike Shula - Current Panthers QB coach. Currently, 1-2 but with the most surprising passing game in the League. If Shula gets the credit for Cam Newton, he will be a hot property this off-season.
Steve Spagnuolo - Current head coach of the Rams, but don't know for how much longer. 0-3 and looking pretty terrible.
Tony Sparano - Current head coach of the MIami Dolphins, but probably not past this season. 0-3 with one foot already out the door as he is the odds-on favorite to be the first HC canned this year.
Mike Sullivan - Current QB coach with the Giants. G-men are a solid 2-1. Passing game has been adequate (if not spectacular).
Mark Whipple - Current QB coach with the Browns. Surprising 2-1, but it ain't due to the offense (and especially not the passing game which is only bringing in 200yards per).
Ken Whisenhunt - Current head coach of the Cardinals, but don't know for how much longer. 1-2 with three pretty non-descript games in which they were in it against meh teams.

It should be noted that GDF has passed on Brady Hoke, Chip Kelly, Brian Kelly, Al Golden, Mike London, Randy Edsall (twice) and John Harbaugh (among many others). So, there is little chance that he will make the right call this go-around.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:47 am

HJS - please remove the following from your list:

Dick Jauron - he is the ultimate "play not to lose guy." He is TOB all over again.
Josh McDaniels - he is a proven horse's ass.

Thanks.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:49 am

Please add "2012 Super Bowl winning coach" Chan Gailey and John De Fillipo.

Thanks in advance.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:50 am

Kraft isn't on the BOT anymore.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:57 am

Please add "Awshucks Anonymous," Avery and Andrew Spaziani.

Thanks in advance.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:54 pm

Speaking of the Bills... anyone catch who their TE coach is?
http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coache ... b41698ecac
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:03 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:As I stated in the original post, it is not enjoyable to watch Spaz destroy my alma mater's football program. And, while I am fully aware that GDF may drive this program into the ground, I have to at least pretend that the end of this nightmare is near. In the spirit of trying to do something productive, I am UPDATING the list of potential replacements to discuss how those candidates who are actually coaching (i.e. no mention of guys like Leach, DickRod or Meyer) are doing this season:

College
Steve Addazio - Current Temple Head Coach. Temple is 3-1 with a almost-won loss to PSU and a drubbing of Maryland. Currently is the hotshot coach of the Northeast (though he is doing it with Golden's talent)
Troy Calhoun - Current head coach at Air Force. He is 2-1 with the wins over no one of significance and the one loss coming against TCU. Plays USNA, ND and BSU in the next 4 weeks.
Dave Clawson - Head coach at Bowling Green who Flip would love to be his puppet. Has been horrific at BGU but is off to a decent start (3-1). Hasn't beaten anyone of significance... the loss was by 1-point against Wyoming. Plays WVU next and in about 4 weeks, Temple.
Mario Cristobal - Current head coach at FIU. Currently sits at 3-1 with last weeks loss to the Ragin' Cajuns of Louisiana-Lafayette. But, they have nice wins over UCF and the Ville. Up until this weekend, Cristobal was the hotshot coach of the Southeast. (BTW... Mark Hudspeth is in his first year at ULL and I predict he will be a head coach in the SEC within 3 years... most likely going back to MissState when Mullen leaves for a better gig).
Skip Holtz - Current USF Head Coach. 4-0 with no wins over anyone of significance (depending on what you think of Notre Dame). Play WVU the last game of the year (which will likely decide the NBE Champion). Third to last game is against Al Golden. Other than those 2, Holtz should remain undefeated... and probably in the running for any major job that opens up.
Rob Ianello - Current Akron Head Coach. Continues to be a failure as a head coach this season. Is 1-3 with the sole win over VMI (losses against OSU, Temple and Cincy... all were beatdowns).
K.C. Keeler - The Steve Donahue of College Football. Current legend at Delaware. Currently 3-1... after being smoked by USNA in the first game of the season. Haven't played anyone yet as they close out their season with: WM, Umass, URI, Townson, Richmond and Villanova (a guantlet that BC sadly couldn't navigate through without a loss or two).
Garrick McGee - Current OC at Arkansas. They are 3-1 this year (with the loss coming at the hands of Bama!). Prior to that, they had an opening 3-game schedule ripped straight from the pages of GDF scheduling (i.e. they played no one). Have a ESPN-broadcast game this weekend against TAMU. Offense is averaging close to 450yards and 40points per game.
Bronco Mendenhall - Head coach at BYU. So far, 2-2 on the season with wins over Ole Miss and UCF, a 1-point loss to Texas and then Utah forcing them to be their 4th wife to weeks ago.
Chris Peterson - BSU head coach. 2-0 with a win over Georgia. Literally, doesn't play anyone before or after TCU on 11/19 (which is one of the easiest schedules of any coach out there... which may have been purposely done to anger the evil Lord Xenu).
Mark Stoops - Current DC at FSU. Youngest of the Stoops brothers. Currently 2-2 with wins over no one and losses to Okla and Clem. The defense has been good against everyone except Dabo Sweeney.
Charlie Strong - A star DC with Florida and ND. Finally getting a chance at Louisville. He is 2-1 having played no one (with the loss coming against FIU).
Kevin Sumlin - Head coach at Houston. Currently, 4-0. Haven't played anyone except UCLA. Really won't play anyone all year. Very likely could go undefeated and voila! will be way outside our price range. Think he would be awesome here, though. Current WVU head coach (Dana Holgorsen) was his OC a few years ago, but the offense ain't hurting right now as they lead the NCAA in passing yards and 11th overall in scoring.
Willie Taggart - Current Head Coach at Western Kentucky. Currently 0-3, one of which was against Larry freaking Bird's alma mater. They don't play anyone until they get criminally violated by LSU in mid-Nov.
Don Treadwell - Former BC assistant who was passed over during the "national" search, current HC at Miami (Ohio). Currently 0-3... Mich, Minn and BG.
Kyle Whittingham - A legit top-notch head coach (head coach at Utah). Currently 2-1 with a close loss to USC. Poised to make a very good showing in their first year in the conference.

NFL
Yeah, yeah... I know what Coach Flip said when he fired Jags... but there may be more of a true search if a change is made (and remember we have a Trustee who has connections in the League with Bob Kraft and there is also always the Mara family).
Pete Carmichael Jr. - Current New Orleans Saints OC. The Saints are 2-1 with one of the most potent offenses in the NFL.
Dick Jauron - Current Browns DC. Somewhat surprising 2-1 with the D leading the way.
Josh McDaniels - Offensive Coordinator of the Rams. St. Louis is off to a very disappointing start with the offense among the worst in the NFL.
Bill O'Brien - Pats OC. Currently, 2-1 with the best offense in the NFL.
Mike Shula - Current Panthers QB coach. Currently, 1-2 but with the most surprising passing game in the League. If Shula gets the credit for Cam Newton, he will be a hot property this off-season.
Steve Spagnuolo - Current head coach of the Rams, but don't know for how much longer. 0-3 and looking pretty terrible.
Tony Sparano - Current head coach of the MIami Dolphins, but probably not past this season. 0-3 with one foot already out the door as he is the odds-on favorite to be the first HC canned this year.
Mike Sullivan - Current QB coach with the Giants. G-men are a solid 2-1. Passing game has been adequate (if not spectacular).
Mark Whipple - Current QB coach with the Browns. Surprising 2-1, but it ain't due to the offense (and especially not the passing game which is only bringing in 200yards per).
Ken Whisenhunt - Current head coach of the Cardinals, but don't know for how much longer. 1-2 with three pretty non-descript games in which they were in it against meh teams.

It should be noted that GDF has passed on Brady Hoke, Chip Kelly, Brian Kelly, Al Golden, Mike London, Randy Edsall (twice) and John Harbaugh (among many others). So, there is little chance that he will make the right call this go-around.

Even updated most of these names are flat out absurd or would be horrendous fits. Garrick McGee? In all seriousness, I would rather have John Defillipo. At least Coach Flip Jr has called his own plays. Ken Whisehunt? Why would we want him?
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:30 pm

I'd be glad to see ATL's not-absurd list, starting with:

1. Ryan Day, BC WR coach - looks fantastic waiving his arms like a moron on the sideline, while the players stand in the huddle looking like they are ignoring him completely, and Sirmans trails behind, thinking "this guy is the star of the program?"

2. Nobody else.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:38 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'd be glad to see ATL's not-absurd list, starting with:

1. Ryan Day, BC WR coach - looks fantastic waiving his arms like a moron on the sideline, while the players stand in the huddle looking like they are ignoring him completely, and Sirmans trails behind, thinking "this guy is the star of the program?"

2. Nobody else.

I've had trouble spotting FHCRD from our seats high atop the (moral) highground of Alumni Stadium, but now I know what to look for. Thanks.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:42 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'd be glad to see ATL's not-absurd list, starting with:

2. Nobody else.

I've had trouble spotting FHCRD from our seats high atop the (moral) highground of Alumni Stadium, but now I know what to look for. Thanks.

I believe he is the nut job that relays the plays to the offense, but I too am in the moral highground of the stadium, so maybe his number 1 fan can correct me.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium