Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:45 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I'm a huge fan of Greg Roman. However, there is zero buzz about him and this job. Now, there isn't much buzz about this job... PERIOD.

I'd rather have Diaco then Roman.

The only thing that worries me about Diaco is whether he can get a solid NT at BC for his system. In my mind,it's a big question mark.

I think this is a legitimate concern, but I also think that he is smart enough to understand the idea of building something, and that his "system" will have to be altered as he recruits and develops players, someting :spaz2 never got as he ran the same scheme that worked well with Raji/Brace, but clearly worked like shit the last few years and he was unwilling to change.

Im really indifferent on both candidates, if BB can land Diaco or Roman I think it will be a home run (saying that, I think Diaco will come with some more name recognition, DC of team in NC, in regards to recruiting in the immediate term).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:45 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I'm a huge fan of Greg Roman. However, there is zero buzz about him and this job. Now, there isn't much buzz about this job... PERIOD.

Even when the BUZZ has proven dead wrong...you still want the BUZZ?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:56 pm

We aren't hiring Diaco as a DC (or Roman as an OC). While they may have ideas and preferences as to the style of play, we simply can't lose track on the fact than he will be the head coach... and will likely let his coordinators call the plays and schemes. That is why things like salesmanship and organization and hard work are so vitally important... as it sets the tone for the entire staff.

I get the sense that BB knows where he is going with this search and a finalist list is developed. I have no clue who may be on it. But, I'm hoping Diaco and Roman are both given the chance to meet Leahy.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Buttercup on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:50 am

I still don't know what to think of Diaco. I think people assume, as a young successful defensive coordinator with recruiting success, that he must be an enthusiastic face of the program type guy. But watch his press conferences... he comes off weird. He runs a bend but don't break defense... people here didn't seem to like that under Spaz. He runs a 3-4 defense. He better not plan on trying to bring that here. He recruited very well... at Notre Dame... I could recruit very well at Notre Dame. We all know the positives but I don't think he's the home run some people think he is. Would love to see how he interviews. If he is able to sell himself to Bates that is a good sign I guess... hopefully Bates knows to press him on how he'll handle staff building, how rigid his on field philosophies are, etc. Read below and tell me it doesn't remind you of the way Spaz was out of touch with his players' minds. Notre Dame fans really seem to want to keep him... so hopefully I'm just being psyched out by the stuff they're putting out there to make it seem like he's not HC ready.

http://irish.nbcsports.com/2010/12/27/d ... h-defense/
Buttercup
Carney Hall

Postby Buttercup on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:13 am

ATL posts that he's heard BC has told an agent who tried to get his guy involved that they already have their 3 finalists. Thinks they get called in to meet Leahy this week and we make a decision by week's end. Doesn't know names of guys who are definitely in, but guesses that the 3 are Diaco, Lembo, and Sullivan. If those are really the top 3, I pray for Diaco despite any hesitations I have.
Buttercup
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:22 am

Buttercup {l Wrote}:I still don't know what to think of Diaco. I think people assume, as a young successful defensive coordinator with recruiting success, that he must be an enthusiastic face of the program type guy. But watch his press conferences... he comes off weird. He runs a bend but don't break defense... people here didn't seem to like that under Spaz. He runs a 3-4 defense. He better not plan on trying to bring that here. He recruited very well... at Notre Dame... I could recruit very well at Notre Dame. We all know the positives but I don't think he's the home run some people think he is. Would love to see how he interviews. If he is able to sell himself to Bates that is a good sign I guess... hopefully Bates knows to press him on how he'll handle staff building, how rigid his on field philosophies are, etc. Read below and tell me it doesn't remind you of the way Spaz was out of touch with his players' minds. Notre Dame fans really seem to want to keep him... so hopefully I'm just being psyched out by the stuff they're putting out there to make it seem like he's not HC ready.

http://irish.nbcsports.com/2010/12/27/d ... h-defense/

After viewing a few minutes of Diaco and Roman on YouTube, I can't say either comes off like a Tom Coughlin or Nick Saban. But Diaco seems to present himself a bit better in terms of who is more head coach material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMweQYjC7Rs
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:48 am

I'd be very happy with Diaco.

I have my doubts about Roman. Nonetheless, I much prefer Roman over Lembo or Sullivan.

I still think Hazell could do well at BC.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby 2008Eagle on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:49 am

Buttercup {l Wrote}:ATL posts that he's heard BC has told an agent who tried to get his guy involved that they already have their 3 finalists. Thinks they get called in to meet Leahy this week and we make a decision by week's end. Doesn't know names of guys who are definitely in, but guesses that the 3 are Diaco, Lembo, and Sullivan. If those are really the top 3, I pray for Diaco despite any hesitations I have.

I like Diaco but I agree on the others. Considering some of the names we've heard, Lembo would be a pretty weak hire.
2008Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:35 am

2008Eagle {l Wrote}:
Buttercup {l Wrote}:ATL posts that he's heard BC has told an agent who tried to get his guy involved that they already have their 3 finalists. Thinks they get called in to meet Leahy this week and we make a decision by week's end. Doesn't know names of guys who are definitely in, but guesses that the 3 are Diaco, Lembo, and Sullivan. If those are really the top 3, I pray for Diaco despite any hesitations I have.

I like Diaco but I agree on the others. Considering some of the names we've heard, Lembo would be a pretty weak hire.

If those are the 3 and it is not Diaco, we may have to reserve FireBates.com.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:47 am

What has Lembo ever done? What a disaster that would be. Im not even nuts about Diaco, the 3-4 is a bad idea at BC
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:19 am

Soaring to Glory is reporting this is a 2nd round interview with Diaco after 1st round late last week (I'm sure Blauds will post and take credit for it sometime today)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby SeaCaptim on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:32 am

We do not need a fat shit as the leader of our football program. Period. We have to run the football program the way York runs the hockey program. You look good, dress good, act properly, cut your hair, and became part of a team.
Diaco is the right man and I hope that he spends time with Jerry York as he builds BC football program.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:32 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Soaring to Glory is reporting this is a 2nd round interview with Diaco after 1st round late last week (I'm sure Blauds will post and take credit for it sometime today)

Out of the 3 options presented, he's clearly choice #1 even with my concerns about the 3-4
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:35 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:Irish Illustrated ‏@NDatRivals
Brian Kelly, when asked about a report Bob Diaco will interview at Boston College, "Ha, those idiots could've had me.."

Nice work
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:49 am

I feel like everyone's always a "little disappointed" with a coaching hire. And I guess its understandable. We're looking at guys who are either going to be first-time head coaches, going to be coaching at a level they've never been at before, have recently been in the NFL, haven't ever been in the college level, or a combination of some of those. There's an unknown to what's going to happen when they actually get here. Jags was one of those guys. And not to open that debate again, a lot of people did go from "who???" to "awesome!" once we saw the Logan offense/started winning game/etc. That's what will have to happen here.

There's a few names I would be pissed off with, but they aren't these guys. These are more of the "I don't actually know that much about them and let's see what happens" type. Its certain FCS and Ivy league coaches in New England, Mark effing Whipple, Gilbride, that would upset me.

The only scenario I see someone being happy with our hire is if we get Herm Edwards. And it only really seems to apply to twb.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:06 am

I'd have to think Golden is still in the fold, at least until he announces he's staying at Miami.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:08 am

I know nothing about Lembo or Sullivan (and wasn't even sure of their names). I had to Google both, starting with "Football Coach (Lembo/Sullivan)". Assuming "Sullivan" has the first name "Mike," I did catch this part off Wikipedia:

Personal Life
Sullivan is a blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Sullivan is also a former U.S. Army Ranger.

Can you say DISCIPLINARIAN! I think Sullivan's our man!
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:08 am

SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:We have to run the football program the way York runs the hockey program.

are you suggesting that we find a bunch of 3 and outs that leave campus the minute after the final gun sounds on season 3?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:42 am

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:Irish Illustrated ‏@NDatRivals
Brian Kelly, when asked about a report Bob Diaco will interview at Boston College, "Ha, those idiots could've had me.."

Nice work

Gene should still be kicked out of the HOF for passing on either Kelly.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:48 am

1. Diaco is Diaco... we seem to know the plusses and negatives with him.

2. Sullivan is an excellent coach and I think would make a very good college head football coach. He is highly organized, hard-working and runs a pro-style offense. The guy played DB at Army. Coached under Tressel at Youngstown State. Became a Coughlin staple in Jax and his entire time with the Giants. And, now is learning from the world's greatest snake oil salesman. I only question his ability to recruit and sell the program (I know, those are huge). But, my hope is that he has been around enough to have made some nice connections with coaches who he'd hire (Hafley).
http://www.buccaneers.com/team/coaches/ ... 0e7ed36153

BTW... here is his latest Press Conference: http://www.buccaneers.com/multimedia/vi ... a921abe2f8
He comes off great. But, where my recruiting/sell the program question comes from is that he is very reserved (which is fine for a presser). It's hard to say what kind of motivator he is or closing on a kid. He's basically a more polished version of TOB... that's a good thing for what the program needs right now.

3. ATL's father-in-law: I don't think Lembo is someone the fanbase will quickly rally around. Looks aside, hiring what is perceived to be the 3rd or 4th best QB in the MAC isn't going to play well Nationally or locally. While he has won at Lehigh and Elon, his teams have all tailed-off the longer he has been there (Elon was 6-5 his last season). Elon replaced him with... Jason Swepson who went only one game worse the following season. He also has never coached (or recruited) at a BCS school. It's really hard to blame BC fans for being underwhelmed by Lembo's inclusion when Ball effing State fans reacted similarly: http://www.hustlebelt.com/2010/12/20/18 ... ly-wow-you
If BC wants to roll the dice with someone completely unproven, I'd much rather have them go on Wilder (who runs an offense that put up 700 yards and is one hell of a promoter/motivator).

As for who gets the job? Well... if this is really the final 3, then the next round of interviews will be with Leahy who will have significant influence on the final decision. Does he pick the guy who already knows how to sell a Catholic school? Or will he pick another TOB disciplinarian (figuring BC had success when he did so the last time the program was in shambles)? Or will he pick the guy that looks exactly like him? Personally, I think BB is stupid for allowing Leahy to even talk to Lembo (who could sell Leahy on his Lehigh days). But, while it's our program, this hire is BB's legacy and the only thing that will get the Flynn Fund back to viability.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby whalepants on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:22 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:We have to run the football program the way York runs the hockey program.

are you suggesting that we find a bunch of 3 and outs that leave campus the minute after the final gun sounds on season 3?

Where'd you get a preposterous idea like that?
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby fs33 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:57 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:I know nothing about Lembo or Sullivan (and wasn't even sure of their names). I had to Google both, starting with "Football Coach (Lembo/Sullivan)". Assuming "Sullivan" has the first name "Mike," I did catch this part off Wikipedia:

Personal Life
Sullivan is a blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Sullivan is also a former U.S. Army Ranger.

Can you say DISCIPLINARIAN! I think Sullivan's our man!

I saw that too and thought: (1) if he ever gets in a locker room fight with a coach he will be dead before he hits the ground; (2) Montel and him could have had a sensei/pupil battle for his transfer release.
fs33
McGuinn Hall

Postby BearTerritory on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:05 am

FWIW Cal AD reportedly in Chicago this weekend interviewing Diaco, Hazell and Narduzzi. No mention of Roman.
BearTerritory
Carney Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:29 am

fs33 {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}: (2) Montel and him could have had a sensei/pupil battle for his transfer release.

Vergil vs Ted Dibiase redux :duchE
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby ClubMed93 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:48 am

Apparently there is a rumor among the ND folk that, if we hire Diaco, they will hire Spaz to replace him. Just a rumor, but how deliciously ironic would that be
ClubMed93
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:53 am

First of all... I'm not sure how the buyouts work... but, often future earnings offset the amounts owed. For instance, it has always been my understanding that Jags getting hired by Tampa saved us a boatload. If that is the case, you have to assume Spazoo is done working.

Second of all... if anyone is going to hire Spaz, it will likely be London who just fired his entire staff. I could see TOB and Spaz reuniting to put an end to London's career.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:04 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:First of all... I'm not sure how the buyouts work... but, often future earnings offset the amounts owed. For instance, it has always been my understanding that Jags getting hired by Tampa saved us a boatload. If that is the case, you have to assume Spazoo is done working.

Second of all... if anyone is going to hire Spaz, it will likely be London who just fired his entire staff. I could see TOB and Spaz reuniting to put an end to London's career.

While not the out and out abortion of a hire that Spaz was, I think those who pushed for London should conceed that he probably wouldn't have crushed it the Heights. He's an average coach at best. A TOB/Spaz reunion would bring me more glee than the reunification of Randolph and Mortimer Duke.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:32 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:First of all... I'm not sure how the buyouts work... but, often future earnings offset the amounts owed. For instance, it has always been my understanding that Jags getting hired by Tampa saved us a boatload. If that is the case, you have to assume Spazoo is done working.

But Spaz is the greatest defensive coordinator in the history of Boston College football.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles66 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:35 pm

Why do people think that Diaco's 3-4 defense will not work at BC? I for one feel quite the opposite. Sure he'll need to find a stud NT, but our defensive lines are consistently a weak bunch (save for the Raji-Brace tandem). We generate ZERO pass rush from the front four.

On the contrary, our LB core is now a consistent strength. Someone prove me wrong here, but I think BC's biggest problem this year was Spazzo/McGovern being too stubborn and not utilizing more 3-4.
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:37 pm

BCEagles66 {l Wrote}:Why do people think that Diaco's 3-4 defense will not work at BC? I for one feel quite the opposite. Sure he'll need to find a stud NT, but our defensive lines are consistently a weak bunch (save for the Raji-Brace tandem). We generate ZERO pass rush from the front four.

On the contrary, our LB core is now a consistent strength. Someone prove me wrong here, but I think BC's biggest problem this year was Spazzo/McGovern being too stubborn and not utilizing more 3-4.

There are very few effective college NTs.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium