Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:38 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I know (mostly) everyone thinks Golden is a home run. I like Golden, and would have loved (obviously) for him to have been our last hire. I thought he really pulled of a miracle at Temple and his recruiting ability as an assistant is well documented. How much of a cause for concern is the likelihood of bringing D'Onofrio who has put together a defense which is only slightly better than Spaz' 2012 defense with what is likely to be better talent that we see in the short run?

Golden is a home run because (a) he is a great recruiter, (b) he understands what BC is about, (c) he is a good face of the program type (says all the right things) and (d) he is young and a tireless worker. No one is perfect, so I think there are also valid concerns about him. For instance, his love affair with the 3-4 in college is ridiculous. Further, the man is a job jumper who apparently never buys and only signs leases month-to-month. We would constantly be hearing his name whenever a B10 job opens (which will hinder his recruiting). Also, his leaving Miami will be widely critiqued... and, in some way, his reputation will be damaged. I'd still take him in a heartbeat as the known positives greatly outweigh the known negatives.

I agree and understand (a) through (c). I have some concern that (d) is something that wears away over time. I don't care too much about the job hopping although it would certainly cause agita later on. I do think his reputation will take a huge hit if he comes to BC from Miami,or leaves Miami at all. I also agree the good outweighs the bad, it just doesn't seem as home runnish as it once did. Also he's not leaving Miami would be my guess.

Leaving Miami should not be a hit to his rep (although I admit it probably will take some hit). It should at least be less than what Poodle got for leaving USC, Kiffin at Tenn, Cal at Memphis, etc (which were all fairly tame rep hits except from the particular fan base they screwed). Unlike most guys who get out of dodge before the hammer drops, he had nothing to do with what the sancitions are punishing. In addition, it has been suggested that Miami was not forthright with him in regards to what was comnig down the pipe - not even that they weren't honest, but that they didn't bother mentioning it even though they knew what the public did not yet know. He's very justified in leaving if that is the case, IMO. Although I admit some bias because I'd like to have him and hope the decisionmakers don't hesitate for these "reputation" or "poaching a fellow ACC member" reasons.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:01 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Honestly I hope all of them are on board for a scheduled 11/27 departure. There isn't a single one of them that has proven they deserve to stick around.

Im still of the belief that Al Washington and Sean Desai deserve a look by the new HC. Both are obviously younger and not goldilocks (which both play into the their ability to recruit), and the unit they both coach, ST, has been improved this year.

Its so comical to watch the new staff guys compared to the :pickle leftovers. It infuriates me to know end watch Devine walk around lifeless, just going thru the motions while AW, SD, and even Bollman are down there engaged.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:14 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Leaving Miami should not be a hit to his rep (although I admit it probably will take some hit). It should at least be less than what Poodle got for leaving USC, Kiffin at Tenn, Cal at Memphis, etc (which were all fairly tame rep hits except from the particular fan base they screwed). Unlike most guys who get out of dodge before the hammer drops, he had nothing to do with what the sancitions are punishing. In addition, it has been suggested that Miami was not forthright with him in regards to what was comnig down the pipe - not even that they weren't honest, but that they didn't bother mentioning it even though they knew what the public did not yet know. He's very justified in leaving if that is the case, IMO. Although I admit some bias because I'd like to have him and hope the decisionmakers don't hesitate for these "reputation" or "poaching a fellow ACC member" reasons.

First... it will never happen unless Miami decides to take a voluntary bowl ban this year and then agrees to release Golden from his contract. BC isn't going to poach another coach from the ACC. And, BC is not going to be willing to pay much (if any) buyout (the $750k N.Illinois is owed may be a deal-breaker for Doeren). However, Miami may admit that (a) the sanctions are going to be significant, (b) they never disclosed them as a possibility to Golden until after he arrived and (c) Golden's personality is not a great fit at The U. As such, I could see Miami going to Golden and asking him if he wants out. Whether that will be soon enough for BC to make a run at him... I can't say.

Second... in all the situations you mentioned, the coach left for a "better" program. The media is generally fine when a coach gets a perceived promotion. The one who got the most grief was Kiffin and that was because most viewed USC as a peer to Tenn. Nonetheless, the crap that Golden would get for dropping down to BC would be far more than any of the others mentioned.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:40 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Leaving Miami should not be a hit to his rep (although I admit it probably will take some hit). It should at least be less than what Poodle got for leaving USC, Kiffin at Tenn, Cal at Memphis, etc (which were all fairly tame rep hits except from the particular fan base they screwed). Unlike most guys who get out of dodge before the hammer drops, he had nothing to do with what the sancitions are punishing. In addition, it has been suggested that Miami was not forthright with him in regards to what was comnig down the pipe - not even that they weren't honest, but that they didn't bother mentioning it even though they knew what the public did not yet know. He's very justified in leaving if that is the case, IMO. Although I admit some bias because I'd like to have him and hope the decisionmakers don't hesitate for these "reputation" or "poaching a fellow ACC member" reasons.

First... it will never happen unless Miami decides to take a voluntary bowl ban this year and then agrees to release Golden from his contract. BC isn't going to poach another coach from the ACC. And, BC is not going to be willing to pay much (if any) buyout (the $750k N.Illinois is owed may be a deal-breaker for Doeren). However, Miami may admit that (a) the sanctions are going to be significant, (b) they never disclosed them as a possibility to Golden until after he arrived and (c) Golden's personality is not a great fit at The U. As such, I could see Miami going to Golden and asking him if he wants out. Whether that will be soon enough for BC to make a run at him... I can't say.

Second... in all the situations you mentioned, the coach left for a "better" program. The media is generally fine when a coach gets a perceived promotion. The one who got the most grief was Kiffin and that was because most viewed USC as a peer to Tenn. Nonetheless, the crap that Golden would get for dropping down to BC would be far more than any of the others mentioned.

I agree with your first point - and would add that it would bode well in the situation Golden wants to look around as he would have some leverage.

I see your point with the second, but why does "a demotion" (even under the rare circumstances) mean he'd get more crap than someone who cheated and moved on to a promotion not only because of the promotion, but also to avoid responsibility/punishment for said cheating? I'm sure some nitwits may go there and Miami's fans would react irrationally, but the majority of people who think two seconds about it will probably just say "Oh, makes sense" and move on. There is no real taint, and it should absolutely not be a reason for BC to avoid him.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:11 am

What about Bobby Wilder? In all candor, this isn't my suggestion. Someone this weekend asked me about him. I never heard of the guy before. But, if we are all still smarting after missing out on Chip Kelly and Mike London (and after mentioning KC Keeler last year), we could try to heal those wounds by tabbing the next great coach from FCS. Also... he is perhaps the coach most experienced at refurbishing the roster he will inherit. Wilder is the head coach at ODU. ODU played football from 1930-1941 and then cancelled the program. In 2005, they decided to re-start it. In February 2007, they hired Wilder to build the program... from scratch. Their first re-kindled season was 2009. He has gone 9-2, 8-3, 10-3 (including a loss to Paul Johnson's old school Georgia Southern in the qurterfinals) in the program's first 3 seasons. He is currently 9-1 and ranked #4.

The connections...
He grew up in Maine and played quarterback for the Black Bears. He was then a grad assistant for 2 years towards the end of Bicknell's tenure (88, 89)... during which time he earned as Masters from BC. He left to be the QB coach for Maine for 10 years and then promoted to OC for 7 seasons. He was the hand-picked choice at ODU of George Welsh... and we all know that Leahy has valued his opinion in the past. He also is close enough with Ben Sirmans that he is quoted in his ODU bio.

Other than being incredibly reluctant to turn the program (in its current state) to someone who has never coached at the FBS level, there would be a very minor PR hit... as Wilder will be skipping out of town after just signing a 10-year deal.

There are tons of videos with him on YouTube... the guy does a bunch of media stuff and motivational speeches in and around the Tidewater Area.
Here is a crappy student-produced 2012 promo/preview video (where you can see they do a form of spread): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVfZOVBo ... re=related
Here is a talk he gave after the school's first ever playoff win: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aae79KprH78
Here is a clip from his weekly radio show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWmerutG2wI
Here is a highlight video of ODU's record-breaking game a few weeks ago against UNH when their QB accounted for something like 800 total yards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul6v8VVVhKc
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:23 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:I see your point with the second, but why does "a demotion" (even under the rare circumstances) mean he'd get more crap than someone who cheated and moved on to a promotion not only because of the promotion, but also to avoid responsibility/punishment for said cheating? I'm sure some nitwits may go there and Miami's fans would react irrationally, but the majority of people who think two seconds about it will probably just say "Oh, makes sense" and move on. There is no real taint, and it should absolutely not be a reason for BC to avoid him.

Because the media sucks and essentially rips anything and anyone who acts counter to their approved narrative. There is no logic to why Calipari gets a bye even though he leaves each former program in shambles. In the case of Golden, the narrative will be: Al Golden is an opportunist and a job jumper who is constantly looking for the next gig. He is unwilling to put in the time to build a program and see it through. As a result, he had no appetite to stay true to Miami (who made a huge leap hiring an unproven coach from Temple). BC was the only offer he had and he took it. We fully expect for Golden to leave BC before Miami comes off of sanctions.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:40 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:I see your point with the second, but why does "a demotion" (even under the rare circumstances) mean he'd get more crap than someone who cheated and moved on to a promotion not only because of the promotion, but also to avoid responsibility/punishment for said cheating? I'm sure some nitwits may go there and Miami's fans would react irrationally, but the majority of people who think two seconds about it will probably just say "Oh, makes sense" and move on. There is no real taint, and it should absolutely not be a reason for BC to avoid him.

Because the media sucks and essentially rips anything and anyone who acts counter to their approved narrative. There is no logic to why Calipari gets a bye even though he leaves each former program in shambles. In the case of Golden, the narrative will be: Al Golden is an opportunist and a job jumper who is constantly looking for the next gig. He is unwilling to put in the time to build a program and see it through. As a result, he had no appetite to stay true to Miami (who made a huge leap hiring an unproven coach from Temple). BC was the only offer he had and he took it. We fully expect for Golden to leave BC before Miami comes off of sanctions.

I agree with your overall point, but I think the media narrative would be that he couldn't hack it at Miami and went to a less pressure situation in Boston.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:23 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Honestly I hope all of them are on board for a scheduled 11/27 departure. There isn't a single one of them that has proven they deserve to stick around.

That would be awesome.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:18 pm

Blauds claims his sources have given him the following names (although I'm calling BS anyone mentioned Whipple or Murphy to him):

Make no mistake, Bates is already well into the evaluating and search process. Last week, he met off campus with a group of advisors he has gathered to put together a list of potential replacements for Spaziani, who still has three-years remaining on his contract.

According to sources familiar with the process, Bates and Friends will make it a three-tier search.

Included are candidates who are probably not really interested, but might listen, a second group of coaches with head coaching experience at major FBS schools and a third group of coordinators and coaches from non BCS guarantee leagues such as the Mid-American conference

According to sources, the names at the top of the wish list include Penn State coach Bill O’Brien, Mississippi State Coach Dan Mullen and Miami coach Al Golden. None of those coaches would seem to be inclined to leave their jobs for BC.

The next group of coaches, who might consider a move, include Air Force Coach Troy Calhoun and Vanderbilt coach James Franklin. Again, Bates will probably have to do some heavy recruiting.

The third group, which seems most likely to produce a coach, could include people such as Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi, Notre Dame defensive coordinator Bob Diaco, and Northern Illinois coach Dave Doreen. Other names, such as former UMass coach Mark Whipple and Harvard coach Tim Murphy could also be included in the list. That story line will unfold in the next several days.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=3576#more-3576
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:31 pm

If BC seriously hired Tim Murphy I'd never watch a game again. Ever.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:58 pm

Take FWIW on BOB:

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2012/11/o.html

That's why I had to ask him in a clear yes/no manner whether he would be the Penn State coach next season. I won't ask again. But I wanted to do so once myself in a way that made crystalline the essence of his response. If he was going to waffle, it would be all his doing.

Me: “I think a lot of fans want to know the answer to this question and that's why I'm asking it. Are you going to be back here next season?”

O'B: “You guys gave legs last week to a story that... there's no story there. Y'know, I'm focused on one game at a time. I'm focused on this football team. That's not something that I even think about. I think about that I'm the head football coach at Penn State. And I'm looking forward to getting this team ready for Wisconsin. I mean, we give legs to a story that's not even there.”

Me: “It's a yes or no question.”

O'B: “It might be for you. For me, it's Wisconsin. And this football team and this senior class. That's where I think the questions should be directed: Indiana. The senior class. Getting ready for Wisconsin.”

Me: “Well, that's gonna sound to the fans like you're noncommittal.”

O'B: “I'm the head football coach at Penn State. I love coaching here. And I can't get back to work on Monday and get ready for Wisconsin.”

Actually, a simple “Yes” would have chopped off any legs the story may or may not have. It would immediately have been a non-issue. That's why I phrased the question the way I did.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:41 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Take FWIW on BOB:

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2012/11/o.html

That's why I had to ask him in a clear yes/no manner whether he would be the Penn State coach next season. I won't ask again. But I wanted to do so once myself in a way that made crystalline the essence of his response. If he was going to waffle, it would be all his doing.

Me: “I think a lot of fans want to know the answer to this question and that's why I'm asking it. Are you going to be back here next season?”

O'B: “You guys gave legs last week to a story that... there's no story there. Y'know, I'm focused on one game at a time. I'm focused on this football team. That's not something that I even think about. I think about that I'm the head football coach at Penn State. And I'm looking forward to getting this team ready for Wisconsin. I mean, we give legs to a story that's not even there.”

Me: “It's a yes or no question.”

O'B: “It might be for you. For me, it's Wisconsin. And this football team and this senior class. That's where I think the questions should be directed: Indiana. The senior class. Getting ready for Wisconsin.”

Me: “Well, that's gonna sound to the fans like you're noncommittal.”

O'B: “I'm the head football coach at Penn State. I love coaching here. And I can't get back to work on Monday and get ready for Wisconsin.”

Actually, a simple “Yes” would have chopped off any legs the story may or may not have. It would immediately have been a non-issue. That's why I phrased the question the way I did.

BOB or Golden would be home runs. Im not holding my breath on either, although there are obv under currents that could make them leave their current situations. Mullen has a good chance with a bowl win of having a 10 win season. Would love to know what fantasy land blauds "sources" are coming from (although we all know its from reading the Coaching Candidate thread and throwing more shit against the wall)
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Willie Taggart, Western Kentucky
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby miutbc on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:08 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:off the top of my head, here is my list of BCS jobs worse than BC:

ACC: duke, maybe WF(probably worse, but they pay very well)

clearly worse: Washington St, , Kansas State after Snyder leaves, Kansas, Indiana, Utah

comparable: Iowa St, Baylor, Minnesota, Colorado, Kentucky.

utah? are you serious? right now they have a far better program. whittingham was offered tn job, as well as many other higher profile jobs. it's a great program that's been crushing ours for a decade. they have 2 bcs wins, are in the pac12 and check out the number of nfl players are from utah. While I'm too lazy to look it up, I wouldn't be surprised if utah had more D1 talent than MA, plus they have a huge poly recruiting connection. Much better HC spot than BC
miutbc
Carney Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:22 pm

miutbc {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:off the top of my head, here is my list of BCS jobs worse than BC:

clearly worse: Washington St, , Kansas State after Snyder leaves, Kansas, Indiana, Utah

utah? are you serious? right now they have a far better program. whittingham was offered tn job, as well as many other higher profile jobs. it's a great program that's been crushing ours for a decade. they have 2 bcs wins, are in the pac12 and check out the number of nfl players are from utah. While I'm too lazy to look it up, I wouldn't be surprised if utah had more D1 talent than MA, plus they have a huge poly recruiting connection. Much better HC spot than BC

Great points about Utah. You left out the major detractor about the program though.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:45 pm

Also, if Blauds "sources" are correct, that means we wont even entertain PCJ ?????
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:56 pm

Outside of the stupid Whipple and Murphy names, it's a solid list. I think Some NFL names will also make it on that list too. But, I don't have a problem with what Blauds wrote since it was largely lifted from this thread.

BTW... a MD departure could certainly impact our search. For instance, any of the reach coaches immediately become untouchable.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby miutbc on Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:29 pm

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
miutbc {l Wrote}:

Great points about Utah. You left out the major detractor about the program though.

what that slc is 35% mormon? this ain't the presidential election
miutbc
Carney Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:37 am

Carmichael will get a shot.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:14 pm

Derek Dooley is available.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby tallsy on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:55 pm

Not that I'm saying hot shot coordinators or NFL guys shouldn't be considered but there are a wide range of guys who would leave their current job for BC.

Hudspeth, Doeren, Dykes, DeRuyter, Taggart, MacIntyre, Hazell, Cristobal, and Campbell. Now some of these guys might get better offers, but this is a pretty deep list.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby Mosi on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:33 pm

dont know if anyone else saw 60 Minutes, but did a story on the 'arms race in College Football, mostly about Mich and BAMA

but one line was just what we need to hear ' the most important hire on a college campus may be the head football coach'

and we've been led by Coach Fuckface
lhttp://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162- ... commodity/
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:14 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Carmichael will get a shot.

but they only put up 38 today.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:40 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Carmichael will get a shot.

but they only put up 38 today.

carmichael has nothing to do with their success. no matter what brees says. or logic would dictate.

he only has to do with their failures.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby xu9697 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:43 pm

I think Darell Hazell @ Kent is becoming a finalist. Would have never thought it at the beginning of the year, but when I look at his resume now, I think he will be up there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrell_Hazell

Connections to East and Ohio, HC experience, Bates experience in the MAC, etc.
xu9697
Carney Hall

Postby Bunratty on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:57 pm

Well, our last HC hire fron Kent State surely worked out swell :bag
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby xu9697 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:08 pm

Ed Chlebek? Before my time, but he got better every year.

I guess ND should have passed on Lou Holtz too.

While your statement is somewhat "factual", it kind of means absolutely nothing. Just saying.

EDIT:

OK, I have no idea who you are talking about. Chlebek went to Kent AFTER BC.

Is this a woman's synchronized dance reference?!?!
xu9697
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:20 pm

He's referring to Doug Martin... who Hazell replaced. Originally, I didn't think we would want to have the stigma of hiring a former Rutgers assistant. But, now they are better than on the field and have an exponentially stronger, more stable future... I'm all for it.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:08 pm

Jeff Tedford is available.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:24 pm

is our coaching postion less desireable today, then it was 48 hours ago, before Maryland left?
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium