Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:29 am

DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Again, the only thing retarded on here is people trying to hire a rocket scientist to be head coach. The most successful head coach in BC history was a liquor and snake oil salesman that didn't call his own plays when he was an offensive coordinator.

How dare you speak of Frank Leahy that way!

I didn't.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Supahfan99 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:48 am

Head coach is important but just as important is going to be the staff assembled by the new HC. Which of these guys will assemble a great staff that can recruit their tails off?
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:30 pm

Lembo coached at Elon.

Elon team name - Phoenix

Former Elon team name --- Fighting Christians.

So he has that going for him. :pontif
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:34 pm

Lembo seems like a stretch, he has never recruited at the BCS level.

A quick update on who we are competing with:

ACC
Boston College
NC State

B1G
Purdue

Pac-12
Cal
Colorado

SEC
Arkansas
Auburn
Kentucky
Tennessee

Mid-Majors
Idaho
UTEP
Western Michigan
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:42 pm

I think we will see name overlap with NCS, Purdue, Cal and Colorado.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bcaddict on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:46 pm

If BC wants Golden, I think they'll get Golden provided TN or Auburn doesn't offer as well. Both those schools would be his preference.

But I'm not convinced that BC really wants Golden.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:52 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I think we will see name overlap with NCS, Purdue, Cal and Colorado.

At least for NCST, I've seen Franklin, Diaco, Hazell and Doeren mentioned.
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby mloyko54 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:12 pm

Tom Dienhart ‏@BTNTomDienhart
Seeing and hearing @CoachDuzzMSU (Pat Narduzzi) mentioned for Boston College job. Greg Roman, too.

FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop
.@BTNTomDienhart some coaches told me today that BC would like to meet w Diaco and D. Hazzell
mloyko54
n00b

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:24 pm

mloyko54 {l Wrote}:Tom Dienhart ‏@BTNTomDienhart
Seeing and hearing @CoachDuzzMSU (Pat Narduzzi) mentioned for Boston College job. Greg Roman, too.

FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop
.@BTNTomDienhart some coaches told me today that BC would like to meet w Diaco and D. Hazzell

Not completley sold on Hazzell but if BB is in fact meeting with Diaco and Roman this early in the process, than he has already eclipsed :pickle's last 2 "national searches".
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby 31southst on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:37 pm

I'm hoping for Roman but all I can ask is that he interviews solid guys and picks the best one. Already better names than GDF looked at either time.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby 31southst on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:05 am

Regarding Al Golden, does anyone know his buyout situation? Didn't he just sign a big extension with Miami?
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:09 am

31southst {l Wrote}:Regarding Al Golden, does anyone know his buyout situation? Didn't he just sign a big extension with Miami?

Recalled the same thing, hopefully there's a clause for sanctions

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7279733/al-golden-miami-hurricanes-agree-contract-extension-2020

Turns out it's through 2020 but found this line interesting:

Golden has said he's been assured Miami is not self-imposing any other penalties, including a reduction in scholarships.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:34 am

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/21158949/top-10-the-most-intriguing-coaches-to-keep-an-eye-on-during-silly-season

Bruce Feldman on 10 guys to watch. The BC mentions are as follows

4. Greg Roman, 49ers assistant: Jim Harbaugh's right-hand man has worked wonders with the 49ers offense, and he helped crank up the toughness when he was with Harbaugh at Stanford. I'm told the New Jersey native is a strong candidate at Boston College, as well as back in the Bay Area at California. Two years ago, Roman almost landed the Vanderbilt job. He might even get a shot back in the Volunteer state at UT.

8. Tim DeRuyter, Fresno State: There's two Air Force guys getting discussed for a few vacancies: DeRuyter, the former Air Force player, and Troy Calhoun, Air Force's coach. The hunch here is DeRuyter will emerge as the more viable option, whether it's at Cal, Colorado, Purdue or even Boston College; not Calhoun, who has turned down several good jobs in previous years. In his debut season in Fresno State, DeRuyter led the Bulldogs to their first conference title in 13 seasons while helping turn a dreadful defense into a formidable one.

9. Pat Narduzzi, Michigan State: Smart isn't the only DC whose stock is soaring. Narduzzi, a former Rhode Island linebacker who consistently cranks out elite defenses (Michigan State is No. 4 in the nation in D despite its 6-6 record), is one of three other defensive assistants generating buzz this month. The others: Stanford's Derek Mason and Notre Dame's Bobby Diaco. Of these three, Narduzzi, also an ace recruiter, seems like he would have the best shot to land the Boston College job.

10. (tie) Mike MacIntyre, San Jose State: In 2010, his first season at San Jose State, the Spartans went 1-12 as he began overhauling the program. This year, they went 10-2. MacIntyre, the guy who found Patrick Willis for Ole Miss, has SEC roots, but he has got the skills where he could be a good fit anywhere from BC to Arkansas to Cal.

Just missed the cut: Recently fired Cal head coach Jeff Tedford; Dave Doeren, Northern Illinois; Gus Malzahn, Arkansas State; Pep Hamilton, Stanford OC; Bobby Diaco, Notre Dame DC; Derek Mason, Stanford DC; Brent Pease, Florida OC; Darrell Hazell, Kent State; Justin Wilcox, Washington DC; Bob Stitt, Colorado School of Mines; Mark Hudspeth, UL-Lafayette; Hue Jackson, Bengals assistant.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:55 pm

domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:59 pm

ACC
Boston College
NC State

B1G
Purdue

Pac-12
Cal
Colorado

SEC
Arkansas
Auburn
Kentucky - Mark Stoops
Tennessee

Mid-Majors
Idaho
Southern Miss
UTEP
Western Michigan
Last edited by Walsh601 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:07 pm

Too bad about Stoops. I thought he would have been a good fit at BC. Kentucky is a tough place to win. This might be his first and only head coaching job.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby whalepants on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:17 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Too bad about Stoops. I thought he would have been a good fit at BC. Kentucky is a tough place to win. This might be his first and only head coaching job.

Bill-- what are you hearing about Sonny Terry or Brownie McGhee? thanks.
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:24 pm

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-foot ... pening-ncf

Boston College Eagles
How good is the job?
Expectations are fairly modest, but Frank Spaziani always appeared to be in over his head. Tom O'Brien (seven winning seasons in 10 years) and Jeff Jagodzinski (two in two) found ways to recruit and win in Chestnut Hill, but it's been a decline ever since. BC, like Wake Forest and Duke in the ACC, has to deal with a heightened academic standard. It's a tough job because of that, but it's possible to break through to be a division contender.

What are they looking for?
Regularly going to bowls is enough to maintain satisfaction. The Eagles went to 12 in a row from 1999 to 2010. It isn't an impossible bar to hurdle, even while minding academia.

Candidates

Bob Diaco, Notre Dame defensive coordinator: The Irish's defense has been one of the best stories in college football, and Diaco's name has been linked to this job for several weeks. Notre Dame's suffocating defense has allowed just eight touchdowns in 33 red zone trips by opponents this season. BC would be a nice place for Diaco to begin his head-coaching career. His previous coaching stops as an assistant, Cincinnati and Virginia, are similar-tiered programs.

Darrell Hazell, Kent State Golden Flashes head coach: Hazell coached previously at Army and Rutgers, so he understands some of the Northeast dynamic. He turned around the Golden Flashes from a 5-7 first season to 11-1 -- and on the verge of an improbable BCS berth -- in his second year.

Tom O'Brien, former NC State and Boston College head coach: They wouldn't take him back, would they? Wait, why wouldn't they? He was 75-45 at BC and also had a winning record at NC State (40-35) despite his firing Sunday.

Greg Roman, San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator: This was the first job I heard in connection with Roman, though others -- more appealing and lucrative jobs -- have opened in the time since.

Don Treadwell, Miami (Ohio) head coach: Treadwell's pair of 4-8 seasons at Miami is nothing special, but there are two reasons to believe he'll at least get a look: (1) He was the co-offensive coordinator and receivers coach at BC in 1997 and '98 under O'Brien, and (2) new Boston College AD Brad Bates came from Miami (Ohio). I've written several times that Bates' connection to the MAC might lead to his giving some coaches from the league, Treadwell included, a glance.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby whalepants on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:29 pm

I for one think that bringing Tom O'Brien back to BC would be the tits.
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:29 pm

Stoops to UK is good news as I see it....one job filled, and by a guy who was unlikely to be a candidate for us.

I see our main competitors as Purdue and Cal, and to a lesser extent Colorado and RCC. If those teams start hiring guys not on our radar, even better.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby Mod34b on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:30 pm

Meh.

I would have thought Kentucky could do better. But then again, the Stoop name is huge in Ohio (and Oklahoma, Texas etc) area, and hence should lead to more successful recruiting.

Maybe his brother Bob will pass the leftover recruits to his kid brother.
Mod34b

Postby whalepants on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:34 pm

BC needs a guy with an Irish last name. If they got O'Brien from Penn State it would be BC's third head coach named O'Brien in 20 years, which would really be something that no other school could claim.
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:54 pm

whalepants {l Wrote}:BC needs a guy with an Irish last name. If they got O'Brien from Penn State it would be BC's third head coach named O'Brien in 20 years, which would really be something that no other school could claim.

Some schools in Ireland could probably claim it.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby whalepants on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:56 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
whalepants {l Wrote}:BC needs a guy with an Irish last name. If they got O'Brien from Penn State it would be BC's third head coach named O'Brien in 20 years, which would really be something that no other school could claim.

Duh... everyone knows that Notre Dame is the only Irish BCS school.
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:59 pm

whalepants {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

WP - how many aliases would you estimate that you have had since EO started?
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:00 pm

I hope BB takes the time to talk to NFL assistants. They are some times more difficult to coordinate with, but you simply cannot ignore that some of the best coaches are there.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20 ... /110609685

Speaking of which, I find it interesting Feldman mentioned Hue Jackson, after I was saying he would be a great choice for Cal.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby whalepants on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:01 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
whalepants {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Please don't hijack this thread-- we're talking about coaching candidates here.
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby whalepants on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:02 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I hope BB takes the time to talk to NFL assistants. They are some times more difficult to coordinate with, but you simply cannot ignore that some of the best coaches are there.

Speaking of which, I find it interesting Feldman mentioned Hue Jackson, after I was saying he would be a great choice for Cal.

Why isn't anyone talking about Sonny Terry or Brownie McGhee?
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:11 pm

whalepants {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
whalepants {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Please don't hijack this thread-- we're talking about coaching candidates here.

Thanks for preventing me from hijacking this thread. It is nice to interact with a poster who always sticks to business.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:14 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I hope BB takes the time to talk to NFL assistants. They are some times more difficult to coordinate with, but you simply cannot ignore that some of the best coaches are there.

That's a great article. Roman's clearly got the drive and the football knowledge. If BB wants to hire the anti-Spaz then he should take a real close look at him.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium