Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:46 pm

MrAwesomeII {l Wrote}:Im hearing there is going to be a complete curveball thrown here, and its Steve Spagnuolo....

For a team having a terrible season, BB seems to think that it is chockful of awesome BC coaches.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:47 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
MrAwesomeII {l Wrote}:Im hearing there is going to be a complete curveball thrown here, and its Steve Spagnuolo....

For a team having a terrible season, BB seems to think that it is chockful of awesome BC coaches.

Sigh.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:49 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I think it is pretty clear right now that the only thing that is pretty clear is that Golden was high on the wish list but is not leaving Miami and that Diaco is a heavy favorite for the job. Given that it is only being reported by two of the least reliable rumor mills in internet history (A Jersey Guy, ESPN [Larry Walker to the Sox anyone?]) I think the rest is all bullshit and would be shocked if Roman wasn't in final consideration.

All that said, Meterparel has been saying Diaco for 24 hours. While he is a shitty play-by-play guy, he is the BC shitty play-by-play guy, and he seems to be fairly certain.

Then you are shocked. BCWest apparently posted on TOS that Roman's agent was never contacted... actually that Roman's agent reached out but was never given a call back.

If Lembo doesn't think he is a finalist, it seems like we are either hiring Iowa's next coach or we have GDF-like cronyism at play.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:52 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I think it is pretty clear right now that the only thing that is pretty clear is that Golden was high on the wish list but is not leaving Miami and that Diaco is a heavy favorite for the job. Given that it is only being reported by two of the least reliable rumor mills in internet history (A Jersey Guy, ESPN [Larry Walker to the Sox anyone?]) I think the rest is all bullshit and would be shocked if Roman wasn't in final consideration.

All that said, Meterparel has been saying Diaco for 24 hours. While he is a shitty play-by-play guy, he is the BC shitty play-by-play guy, and he seems to be fairly certain.

Then you are shocked. BCWest apparently posted on TOS that Roman's agent was never contacted... actually that Roman's agent reached out but was never given a call back.

If Lembo doesn't think he is a finalist, it seems like we are either hiring Iowa's next coach or we have GDF-like cronyism at play.

Last edited by bchockey04 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby eagletx on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:53 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
shockdoct {l Wrote}:This really looks like a "favor" by BB to put Kromer in the final 3 of an already made decision.

Or it could be a "favor" to hire a guy that he likes personally... ala Jags. Its sad... but, after dealing with GDF... you have to understand that the fanbase would be more than a little skeptical about a NATIONAL search that resulted in the hiring of one the AD's buddies (who otherwise would never have been considered for the job).

EXACTLY.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:03 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
shockdoct {l Wrote}:This really looks like a "favor" by BB to put Kromer in the final 3 of an already made decision.

Or it could be a "favor" to hire a guy that he likes personally... ala Jags. Its sad... but, after dealing with GDF... you have to understand that the fanbase would be more than a little skeptical about a NATIONAL search that resulted in the hiring of one the AD's buddies (who otherwise would never have been considered for the job).

EXACTLY.

Blauds is now confirming that Lembo isn't in the final 2.

BB... you might've been able to bring in a qualified buddy of yours. That would be fine at virtually any job in the country. However, you simply cannot do it at a school that just had to deal with GDF all these years. This shit ain't about you and your friends.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:08 pm

If it is Aaron Kromer, I would've rather BB been transparent and immediately limit the search to Kromer, Narduzzi and Treadwell. It would be much better off for us fans not to get our hopes up with another sham search. We all would've preferred for you to be up front in making this all about BC becoming Miami of Massachusetts. We could've even let you know about our long illustrious history of Reebok Red.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle216 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:08 pm

Who gives a fuck about who is in the final whatever. They will be doing no more coaching at BC than I will. For a variety of reasons some agents may be asking that their "finalist" not be disclosed as such, while some agents might be leaking that their client is a "finalist" when such may only be true in a hyper technical sense. All that matters is who is chosen.

And all this talk about who is NOT in the final 3 is equally silly. All of these so-called hot NFL assistants, who could be in the running for HC jobs in the league - why would they want to short change that for BC. Who knows how many of these guys even want to come back to college.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:09 pm

Kromer would get no slack. Diaco would at least get 3 years to show some life.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby BCdee on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:19 pm

All day, I have been glued to the message boards, twitter, etc....this is the most excited I've been about BC football in years. How refreshing! :elephant
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby TurdFerguson on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:20 pm

All I want for Christmas is a necktie... roaming the sidelines. :angrychicken
Well, when I see five weirdos, dressed in togas, stabbing a man in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's *my* policy!
TurdFerguson
Carney Hall

Postby eagletx on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:21 pm

There is an eerie "deja vu" quality about the Kromer candidacy/credentials and the relationship with BB only troubles me more, no doubt.
There is so much riding on the PERCEPTION of the hiring process, regardless of what the candidates ultimate success or failure might be, in terms of credibility for the program and the position of AD.

Kromer just seems to be the WORST possible alternative when viewed from the perspective of perception.....BB will definitely be playing from way, way behind if Kromer is his choice. But hey, on the bright side, I'll save myself five grand next year.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby chuckiedukes on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:21 pm

Bates had months to decide who the next HC would be and his first interview was Kromer. Speaks volumes.
chuckiedukes
n00b

Postby JesuitIvy on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:24 pm

BCdee {l Wrote}:All day, I have been glued to the message boards, twitter, etc....this is the most excited I've been about BC football in years. How refreshing! :elephant

I know me too - don't blow it BB!
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:25 pm

Kromer = Quentin Williams
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:26 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:There is an eerie "deja vu" quality about the Kromer candidacy/credentials and the relationship with BB only troubles me more, no doubt.
There is so much riding on the PERCEPTION of the hiring process, regardless of what the candidates ultimate success or failure might be, in terms of credibility for the program and the position of AD.

Kromer just seems to be the WORST possible alternative when viewed from the perspective of perception.....BB will definitely be playing from way, way behind if Kromer is his choice. But hey, on the bright side, I'll save myself five grand next year.

BB has acted flawlessly and refreshingly since his hiring. But, pulling a GDF would just destroy any goodwill he had. Look... who is to say Kromer won't be another great hire like Jags? I'll give AK-47 a chance. But, as someone else posted, he'll get no leeway from the fans. As soon as he stumbles, people will be calling for both their heads. And, the reality given the roster, is that the next coach WILL stumble and will need time to turn it around.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:28 pm

Diaco just won the Broyles Award.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:33 pm

bchockey04 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

can someone explain this joke to me...
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:34 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
bchockey04 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

It's a countown from a million to reflect the number of times HomoJS is going to complain about whomever is hired.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:35 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
bchockey04 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Earlier in the thread ATL said that hiring Diaco would cause HJS to post about how we're losing him to Iowa one million times. The joke is a countdown.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:35 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:There is an eerie "deja vu" quality about the Kromer candidacy/credentials and the relationship with BB only troubles me more, no doubt.

BB has acted flawlessly and refreshingly since his hiring. But, pulling a GDF would just destroy any goodwill he had. Look... who is to say Kromer won't be another great hire like Jags? I'll give AK-47 a chance. But, as someone else posted, he'll get no leeway from the fans. As soon as he stumbles, people will be calling for both their heads. And, the reality given the roster, is that the next coach WILL stumble and will need time to turn it around.

Relax. He's throwing his friend a bone by including him in the list of finalists. More and more, I'm thinking Golden is the longshot top choice and Diaco is the plan B. It's refreshing how decisive this process has been (if my read of the situation is correct).
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:37 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
bchockey04 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Someone mentioned that if Diaco is hired...HJS will take every opportunity to mention that if the Iowa job comes open, Diaco will be the favorite to land it/take it. And that number was deemed to be 1 million times. So he's now mentioned Diaco and Iowa 4 times already.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:38 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

Do you really think the average BC fan cares much whether it is Diaco or Kromer? The average fan hasn't heard of either one. Brian Kelly was successful before he had Diaco, correct? Why are people convinced Diaco is the next best thing? Not saying he isn't, but Kelly has had success everywhere he has been and Diaco has only been around for part of that ride.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:38 pm

@slmandel Coaching searches have surged far ahead of realignment in the amount of misinformation circulated on Twitter.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:39 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:[ But, when we are discussing folks who REALLY want the job like Roman, PCJR and Mike Sullivan (all of whom have been or will be considered for a freaking head coaching job in the NFL)

Look, we may be going through the motions here for nothing re: Kromer, but I just don't see how the bolded makes those guys better candidates than Kromer considering, um, Kromer:

- Was next in line for St. Louis Rams gig if Fisher went to Miami (no real shame in losing out to Fisher)
- Was chosen to be a head coach (albeit interim) which gives him more "CEO" experience than those 3.

Sullivan especially seems to be a weird inclusion in here as I don't think he's ever been considered or rumored to be close-to-being-considered for any head coaching gigs and has a few months' experience as a coordinator. If we're going on the "We don't want position coaches" thing, Sullivan would seem to be disqualified for it on that basis, no?

I would certainly declare that Kromer seems to be as big of an NFL name as the group above.

Now thats a completely separate group from the Diacos and others in the college ranks b/c the arguments about him being out of the college game are totally legit. I just don't see how Greg Roman is the bestest and Aaron Kromer is the worstest and the justification is "Well Roman is in demand" - so, apparently, is Kromer. As far as him being a buddy of BB, their Miami (OH) tenures never overlapped. It looks to me to be nothing more than a talking point in an interivew rather than a nepotism moment - and how do we know that Kromer isn't a slam dunk and the whole "connection" isn't something that helped the marriage, which otherwise seems to be an odd fit, happen?
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:40 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
bchockey04 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Earlier in the thread ATL said that hiring Diaco would cause HJS to post about how we're losing him to Iowa one million times. The joke is a countdown.

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:The only real downside of Diaco is that once he is hired and has success, HJS will post a million times about how we are going to lose him to Iowa.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:43 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:[ But, when we are discussing folks who REALLY want the job like Roman, PCJR and Mike Sullivan (all of whom have been or will be considered for a freaking head coaching job in the NFL)

Look, we may be going through the motions here for nothing re: Kromer, but I just don't see how the bolded makes those guys better candidates than Kromer considering, um, Kromer:

- Was next in line for St. Louis Rams gig if Fisher went to Miami (no real shame in losing out to Fisher)
- Was chosen to be a head coach (albeit interim) which gives him more "CEO" experience than those 3.

Sullivan especially seems to be a weird inclusion in here as I don't think he's ever been considered or rumored to be close-to-being-considered for any head coaching gigs and has a few months' experience as a coordinator. If we're going on the "We don't want position coaches" thing, Sullivan would seem to be disqualified for it on that basis, no?

I would certainly declare that Kromer seems to be as big of an NFL name as the group above.

Now thats a completely separate group from the Diacos and others in the college ranks b/c the arguments about him being out of the college game are totally legit. I just don't see how Greg Roman is the bestest and Aaron Kromer is the worstest and the justification is "Well Roman is in demand" - so, apparently, is Kromer. As far as him being a buddy of BB, their Miami (OH) tenures never overlapped. It looks to me to be nothing more than a talking point in an interivew rather than a nepotism moment - and how do we know that Kromer isn't a slam dunk and the whole "connection" isn't something that helped the marriage, which otherwise seems to be an odd fit, happen?

Well done.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:47 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:

The issue with Kromer is that he and BB are BFFs. We've had the preious 2 "national" searches end similarly. We all thought that we had moved beyond such sham searches when GDF was retired. Kromer's resume is fine (though his complete absense from the college game remains a huge concern... as does him never being a coordinator). It's the appearance of cronyism that is the concern.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bcaddict on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:49 pm

Golden was in NYC today and Blauds reported on Sunday that Bates had a commitment in NYC on Tuesday. Last I heard, Bates was on campus but...

Also, count me in the camp that believes Kromer is more of nice gesture from BB to Kromer than a reflection of him as the top non-Diaco candidate.

Anyone know the back story why Kromer was the Saints interim (while Vitt was out) instead of PCJR?
Last edited by bcaddict on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby eagletx on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:49 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Do you really think the average BC fan cares much whether it is Diaco or Kromer? The average fan hasn't heard of either one. Brian Kelly was successful before he had Diaco, correct? Why are people convinced Diaco is the next best thing? Not saying he isn't, but Kelly has had success everywhere he has been and Diaco has only been around for part of that ride.

Diaco has been on Kelly's staff at three places: central Michigan, Cinncinati and ND...if you like Kelly you got to like Diaco, as Kelly clearly has a boner for him.
eagletx
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium