Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:59 pm

BCEagles66 {l Wrote}:Why do people think that Diaco's 3-4 defense will not work at BC? I for one feel quite the opposite. Sure he'll need to find a stud NT, but our defensive lines are consistently a weak bunch (save for the Raji-Brace tandem). We generate ZERO pass rush from the front four.

On the contrary, our LB core is now a consistent strength. Someone prove me wrong here, but I think BC's biggest problem this year was Spazzo/McGovern being too stubborn and not utilizing more 3-4.

BC has been horrible on the DL since Brace/Raji I think more because of coaching. Those two were such dynamic guys that they were able to rise above the coaching. There is nobody on the current roster who can play at the level of Brace and Raji, but the coaching idea that they dont teach new moves and try to let players stick with the one move they know is ridiculous. I think even without an effective NT, you will see a difference in the DL play next year based on scheme alone. Honestly outside of McGovern (and only if he agreed to take a paycut and move back to LB coach) the entire fulltime defensive staff can go. I dont consider AW part of that staff because he was only an asst line coach and ST coach.

I really dont think that any of us understand the level of incompetence that we have had to suffer under the last few years untill we can see it in contrast to what Diaco employs.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby MrAwesomeII on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:02 pm

The rumor de jour is that BC is making a push for Ellington MacFuggar, whose boy Nails was a recruit of ours some years back.
MrAwesomeII
Carney Hall

Postby BCWest on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:19 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:What has Lembo ever done? What a disaster that would be. Im not even nuts about Diaco, the 3-4 is a bad idea at BC

Why?
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCWest on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:20 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
2008Eagle {l Wrote}:
Buttercup {l Wrote}:ATL posts that he's heard BC has told an agent who tried to get his guy involved that they already have their 3 finalists. Thinks they get called in to meet Leahy this week and we make a decision by week's end. Doesn't know names of guys who are definitely in, but guesses that the 3 are Diaco, Lembo, and Sullivan. If those are really the top 3, I pray for Diaco despite any hesitations I have.

I like Diaco but I agree on the others. Considering some of the names we've heard, Lembo would be a pretty weak hire.

If those are the 3 and it is not Diaco, we may have to reserve FireBates.com.

I am surprised guys are not more positive on Sullivan.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:22 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles66 {l Wrote}:Why do people think that Diaco's 3-4 defense will not work at BC? I for one feel quite the opposite. Sure he'll need to find a stud NT, but our defensive lines are consistently a weak bunch (save for the Raji-Brace tandem). We generate ZERO pass rush from the front four.

On the contrary, our LB core is now a consistent strength. Someone prove me wrong here, but I think BC's biggest problem this year was Spazzo/McGovern being too stubborn and not utilizing more 3-4.

There are very few effective college NTs.

You also can't just go to settings and change your base D from 4-3 to 3-4, no matter how easy Madden makes it seem.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:24 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:What has Lembo ever done? What a disaster that would be. Im not even nuts about Diaco, the 3-4 is a bad idea at BC

Why?

The 3-4, as a general rule, is horrible against the run. Diaco plays the backers close in run support and has a great NT, but they have been playing 3-4 at ND since Corwin Brown, and this year is the first year it has been any good.

You need a great DT, two large and athletic OLBs that can set the edge and play pass coverage,m and a sick ILB or converted safety that can cover slot receivers and TEs 1-on-1. Those things are exceedingly rare individually in college football, getting all of them generally doesn't happen unless you are in the NFL or SEC (or this year, ND, sort of).

BC could have gotten away with a 3-4 with Raji at NT, Albright and Herzy on the outside, and Dunbar and Francois in the middle. But that is rare at a school like BC - an amazing amount of defensive talent at one time.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle216 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:34 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:

Why?

The 3-4, as a general rule, is horrible against the run. Diaco plays the backers close in run support and has a great NT, but they have been playing 3-4 at ND since Corwin Brown, and this year is the first year it has been any good.

You need a great DT, two large and athletic OLBs that can set the edge and play pass coverage,m and a sick ILB or converted safety that can cover slot receivers and TEs 1-on-1. Those things are exceedingly rare individually in college football, getting all of them generally doesn't happen unless you are in the NFL or SEC (or this year, ND, sort of).

BC could have gotten away with a 3-4 with Raji at NT, Albright and Herzy on the outside, and Dunbar and Francois in the middle. But that is rare at a school like BC - an amazing amount of defensive talent at one time.

If you subscribe to the theory, as I do, that there is little talent presently at BC, than it should not matter what system a new coach wants to run. We will only win with newly recruited players anyway, and said coach will recruit to his system. That being said, I would be nervous about a 3-4 at BC in the long run for the reasons stated above. You need a rediculous NT that commands a double team, and a few Mike Vrabal edge types. But if Diaco can recruit it, than it will work. I would say that all of the talent mentioned above was recruited by TOB. If TOB can stock a team like that, why not Diaco, and why not any HC secured by the super great BB coaching search. If BB is to earn his keep, he should be bringing in a coach who will get us above TOB in talent. For the most part, this will be ACC championship talent.
Last edited by eagle216 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:35 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
2008Eagle {l Wrote}:
Buttercup {l Wrote}:ATL posts that he's heard BC has told an agent who tried to get his guy involved that they already have their 3 finalists. Thinks they get called in to meet Leahy this week and we make a decision by week's end. Doesn't know names of guys who are definitely in, but guesses that the 3 are Diaco, Lembo, and Sullivan. If those are really the top 3, I pray for Diaco despite any hesitations I have.

I like Diaco but I agree on the others. Considering some of the names we've heard, Lembo would be a pretty weak hire.

If those are the 3 and it is not Diaco, we may have to reserve FireBates.com.

I am surprised guys are not more positive on Sullivan.

I think Sullivan is ok (I like the idea of working under both Coughlin and Schiano, granted the latter in a non-recruiting capacity) but I get the complaints. One year as a coordinator on any level. Zero experience ever at a BCS level school. No college experience in over a decade. I know all our choices are risky to some degree but I think you can make a very easy argument that he's the riskiest of all legit names.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:35 pm

Charlie Strong when asked to make a definitive statement on whether he’ll be at U of L next year: “I’ll say that at the right time.”

— Mike Rutherford (@CardChronicle) December 3, 2012

So if I had to guess, I'd say there will be an opening at Louisville soon. I'd like to get our next coach locked up before that happens.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle216 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:38 pm

From what little I have seen of Diaco on the You Tube in his pressers, he seems very much into being an academic type and coming across as being well read and well educated. He seems to want to be the complete opposite of someone like Rex Ryan - whose pressers are filled with grunts and bluster and coach speak. Diaco seems to want to play the intellectual. I would like to think that said coach will want to be at a BC and not at a Louisville. But who knows.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:44 pm

what are his feelings on wine, ipods and guitars?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:53 pm

Things are a mess at UVA, but London was and still is a better head coach than Spaz. While neither can manage a game, London is still a hard working recruiter. If he is fired next year, the new coach will inherit a lot of talent.

Spaz is not working again. He has no financial incentive to do so.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:58 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Things are a mess at UVA, but London was and still is a better head coach than Spaz. While neither can manage a game, London is still a hard working recruiter. If he is fired next year, the new coach will inherit a lot of talent.

Spaz is not working again. He has no financial incentive to do so.

Obviously he's better than Spaz, but that's saying very little.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:58 pm

HJS {l Wrote}: I could see TOB and Spaz reuniting to put an end to London's career.

I can't stop laughing.

Ginger: How's retirement going for you, Frank?
Spaz: Have to say, this couch I bought at Ethan Allen with my settlement isn't as comfy as the old Walsh lounge retread the furniture crew put in my office.
Ginger: You still got the itch?
Spaz: To really fuck something up beyond repair and make a bunch of diehard fans hate themselves for wasting time with football? Yeah.
Ginger: Me, too.
Spaz: Tommy, we threw a monkey wrench into BC and NCSU.
Ginger: YOu think we could do the same for UVA?
Spaz: And ruin the career of a young, promising coach? That tastes better than cookies.

HJS, I salute you - that was brilliant for so many reasons.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:00 pm

Saying Diaco is not good with the media is nitpicking. Watch his youtube videos. Without ever being a head coach, he is already better than TOB, Spaz, Jags and Henning were with the media at BC.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:04 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Saying Diaco is not good with the media is nitpicking. Watch his youtube videos. Without ever being a head coach, he is already better than TOB, Spaz, Jags and Henning were with the media at BC.

Agreed, but Roman is kind of a goof. I can't see him making players want to run through walls. But it's probably moot, because it doesn't sound like he is a candidate.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:09 pm

I still like London and still wish we would've hired him. UVA had a dreadful season, but he was great last year. It is all about which year you think was the fluke.

As for this search... We've seen names like Mullen, BOB, Golden, Sullivan, Diaco and Roman mentioned. Every single one of them have been named in this thread well over a year ago. As long as they were considered, we really have no grounds to complain about the search. From that perspective, the process seems to have been excellent thus far. That doesn't mean the hire will "Wow!" people and it doesn't mean that the hire will ultimately prove to have been the best coach.

Given the lack of info out there (good job by BB), I think there is anxiousness from those few who really care. No coach is going to be 100% all good or bad. Hell... half this board talked themselves into believing that maybe Spazoo wouldn't be terrible when he was announced. I think we all just want to get on the bandwagon so quickly that we want someone whose Wikipedia page is flawless and who then gives a Jags-like introductory presser. The only thing that is important is that BC hires someone who has a plan to get BC back relevancy... someone who will having you give shit again in 2-3 years. That's not accomplished in a press release no matter how impressive his name...
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:10 pm

The only real downside of Diaco is that once he is hired and has success, HJS will post a million times about how we are going to lose him to Iowa.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:11 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Saying Diaco is not good with the media is nitpicking. Watch his youtube videos. Without ever being a head coach, he is already better than TOB, Spaz, Jags and Henning were with the media at BC.

Agreed, but Roman is kind of a goof. I can't see him making players want to run through walls. But it's probably moot, because it doesn't sound like he is a candidate.

I don't know if Roman is a candidate or not (his name has barely been mentioned outside this board)... but I think he would be GREAT here.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bluefishskip on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:26 pm

from Meterparel on Twitter:
#BC may be closing in on a coach. Many sources indicate #ND Def Cord Bob Diaco is the top choice if Al Golden turns it down.
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Postby thebs19 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:28 pm

bluefishskip {l Wrote}:from Meterparel on Twitter:
#BC may be closing in on a coach. Many sources indicate #ND Def Cord Bob Diaco is the top choice if Al Golden turns it down.

Yeah I'm reminded of the WEEI disaster with reporting on the AD hire, but IF this is true, BB pretty much hit it out of the park.

There's no wrong answer here.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:32 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:

Yeah I'm reminded of the WEEI disaster with reporting on the AD hire, but IF this is true, BB pretty much hit it out of the park.

There's no wrong answer here.

If it is down to these two. I do not think i will be disappointed with either.
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCWest on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:35 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:

Why?

If you are Diaco, you are probably pretty confident you will get the guys you want to run your defense. BC can get a stout NT and a slew of good LBs. I agree we have not gotten that outside LB style player and that will require recruiting hard.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:35 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:The only real downside of Diaco is that once he is hired and has success, HJS will post a million times about how we are going to lose him to Iowa.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... ncaaf.html
Only 999,999 to go...
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:35 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:The only real downside of Diaco is that once he is hired and has success, HJS will post a million times about how we are going to lose him to Iowa.

Just a million?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:41 pm

HJS {l Wrote}: I could see TOB and Spaz reuniting to put an end to London's career.

I'm chuckling like a moron at this one.

We all know that Spaz is done. He's already turned his buyout into a down payment on a yacht called "Bankin' Skollies."
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:43 pm

Diaco's is the first name discussed coming to campus for an interview. It was dropped on EA and then Kelly gave a "Why wouldn't they want him" response. I'm not surprised (given the timeline thus far) that the media would jump to the conclusion that he will be the next coach... it's somewhat logical. That said, I also have to believe that there either will be or have been similar interviews which haven't been made public. I assume BB will let Leahy meet with multiple candidates and get his input. I guess what I'm saying is that while I like Diaco an awful lot, I'm not yet certain that we are definitely hiring Kirk Ferentz's replacement.

999,998 to go
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:00 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

This interests me because it means there is still interest of him going from UM to BC. I always saw him as the ultimate social climber, but what would he want from BC that they may not want to give: years or $$$?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:02 pm

Putting golden in play is setting everyone up to be miserable if and when the hire is made and it is not golden. Somehow, he has become the one guy left who can save our program. Diaco, will all of a sudden become the "typical, safe BC hire". then someone will leak inside information that golden would have taken the job for 5 years at 2.5 million per, but BC found his demands to be too extravagant. then we will have months of argument about whether BC is really committed to excellence on the football field. Next will be Leahy's true desire to move to the athletic program to a academic, Patriot league environment.

If it is not Golden, Diaco or Roman, but someone like Sullivan, PC JR, Lembo or someone else, then we will be in for epic level meltdown.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:07 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Putting golden in play is setting everyone up to be miserable if and when the hire is made and it is not golden. Somehow, he has become the one guy left who can save our program. Diaco, will all of a sudden become the "typical, safe BC hire". then someone will leak inside information that golden would have taken the job for 5 years at 2.5 million per, but BC found his demands to be too extravagant. then we will have months of argument about whether BC is really committed to excellence on the football field. Next will be Leahy's true desire to move to the athletic program to a academic, Patriot league environment.

If it is not Golden, Diaco or Roman, but someone like Sullivan, PC JR, Lembo or someone else, then we will be in for epic level meltdown.

I may be in the minority here, but I will take the wait-and-see approach with all of those names you mentioned. Not sure how some are convinced that Roman and Diaco are much better than Sullivan and PCJR. Who knows how they will do at BC?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium