Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:51 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I'd be terrified for the program if we hired Josh McDaniels and very nervous if we hired Matt Campbell but to call either moderate reward seems wrong. Either could be a major homerun (I doubt it) but could be based on no more than McDaniels background and Campbell's age. The others in your last category are all names that I would be somewhere from disgusted by the hire (addazio, wipple, clawson) to unimpressed (McNulty, Ryan).

McDaniels isn't coming.

If we hire anyone from your disgusted list, it might be in attempt to cross the program

Oh I agree that McDaniels isn't coming, but in the context of HJS's list I think he is misplaced. An Addazio, Whipple, Clawson hire would be as you say.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:09 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I'd be terrified for the program if we hired Josh McDaniels and very nervous if we hired Matt Campbell but to call either moderate reward seems wrong. Either could be a major homerun (I doubt it) but could be based on no more than McDaniels background and Campbell's age. The others in your last category are all names that I would be somewhere from disgusted by the hire (addazio, wipple, clawson) to unimpressed (McNulty, Ryan).

McDaniels isn't coming.

If we hire anyone from your disgusted list, it might be in attempt to cross the program

Josh McDaniels is a shitty offensive coordinator. No interest in him as coach whatsoever.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:19 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

McDaniels isn't coming.

Josh McDaniels is a shitty offensive coordinator. No interest in him as coach whatsoever.

So is Jags and we liked him.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:57 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Why would you hire the Arizona WR coach when you could hire the New Orleans OC? If he doesn't want to coach at BC.
Why would you hire Matt Campbell when you could hire Dave Doeren? If he doesn't want to coach at BC.
Why would you hire Pat Narduzzi when you could hire Bob Diaco? If he doesn't want to coach at BC.

I think that is the answer.

I have a difficult time crafting a scenario where a MAC coach, a college assistant and an alum coordinator all say no to BC. The most realistic version I come up with is: BC drags its feet with firing Spaz and interviewing for his replacement. In the course of that time, Purdue fires Danny Hope and targets Doeren, Iowa retires Ferentz and tabs Diaco AND PCJR gets wind that he will be promoted when Sean Payton goes to the Cowboys (even though the Saints picked like 3 other coaches to be the interim instead of him). Possible? Sure. Likely? No.

Nonetheless, even if all that happens, you STILL have available Butch Jones and Greg Roman. But, for fun, let's say they too have been grabbed by better jobs. At that point, BC would be at a critical juncture that would highlight the University's commitment (or lack thereof) to the program. Since all the top candidates that were fits (both from a background perspective and salary demand) are no longer available, BC would have to sacrifice something. They could (a) decide to pay-up and make a run for a coach at another school (like Calhoun) or (b) they could go for a hot prospect even though they haven't coached before in a BC-like environment (e.g. Hudspeth or Dykes) or (c) they could drop to the more disappointing names just because they have geographic commonality and are cheap. Let's just hope that (c) never becomes a reality.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:43 pm

Bates or Leahy or the budget could still f this process up, but Doeren, Diaco and Carmichael should be the baseline for the search. Gene napalmed a bunch of bridges in the coaching community yet people were still willing to come to BC. You have to remember that these jobs don't grow on trees.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:54 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Bates or Leahy or the budget could still f this process up, but Doeren, Diaco and Carmichael should be the baseline for the search. Gene napalmed a bunch of bridges in the coaching community yet people were still willing to come to BC. You have to remember that these jobs don't grow on trees.

"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hinghameagle on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:53 pm

Addressing a few of the recent posts:

1.Spaz should be gone within 48 hours after the game in Raleigh. He is not coming back. It is not a secret. the only thing that could hold it up, would be if there was some negotiating to be done on his buyout, but those negotiations should be going on now behing closed doors if BC were to once be proactive.

2. There are some names floated, that just don't seem to be in play for me. Butch Jones will not be leaving Cincy for BC. He is paid well there, and when he does leave it will be for a job better than BC. Greg Roman has East Coast ties, but I just don't see him leaving the NFL for a mediocre East Coast college job. His resume may be too good. I could see him at Cal. As much as we say that diaco doesnt seem like a fit in the SEC becuase he is an East Coast guy, shouldnt the inverse be true, that the Hudspeths, Sonny Dykes, and the good young college coaches from SEC country don't seem like a good fit at BC?

3. Uconn is going to be in an interesting situation with Pasqualoni. He is pulling a Spaz. He has had two subpar years in a row and shouldn't be given a third, much as Spaz shouldn't have been given this year. I could see Addazzio pushing hard for that job, though his star is dimming with a bad year at Temple.

4. I think the best thing that happened to Edsall was that every quarterback on his roster went down. He is playing a linebacker at qb, and that will allow him to hide behind the fact that he has had two crappy years. he went 2-10 in year one, with one of the wins over Towson. 1-7 in conference. they beat Miami in the opener and then lost every other game except Towson. He is on his way to a 4-8 (2-6) season this year with a 7-6 win over William and Mary thrown in there. For the record, Fridge went 9-4 in his last season before the ouster. That is a huge dropoff. And for the record I would take the Fridge as my OC any day of the week. Is the sole reason why he can't find another job or even get mentioned in one is becasue he is 600 pounds? Either way, Randy is the clock beginning next season. No bowl game, then adios.

5. The one random phone call I would certainly make if I were bates would be to Bronco Mendanhall. He has always been very publicly affectionate towards BC and going from BYU to BC in terms of recruiting applicant should not be that difficult. He just recently had two or three players who got in a horrific fight in a restaurant where a woamn was knocked out, so a courtesy call should be made.

6. Golden should also get a call. I have seen peole say it is too complicated becasue he would be staying in the conference. It wasnt that complicated for TOB to go to Raleigh.

&. I still hold Diaco high on the list and it is true that there are only so many jobs. i just hope that what he saw from BC on Saturday night didnt scare the living crap out of him, in terms of wow, they have no talent. that is a 4-5 year rebuild, and I dont want to take that on as my first head job.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:37 pm

I think your comments are fair.

Spaz is gone. BC is lucky MD and UConn are terrible. Roman highly unlikely to be interested. Worth giving a why-the-hell-not call to guys like Bronco and Golden to see it there is any chance. After assessing everything, Diaco is likely to be near the top of the list. If he is, BC should make damn well sure they don't alienate him through a drawn-out process/negotiation.

The one point I'd disagree with is the availability of Butch Jones. Jones makes $1.5 (or $100k less than Paul P). BC doesn't have to really go much beyond that to land him. Cincy is a terrible school and the rubble of the imploded conference that surrounds him will have him amenable to any lifeboats that come his way. Not to mention... BC would not be a terrible fit for him. That said, I have no idea if he has a buyout. That is likely to constrain BC significantly in trying to land a current head coach. They simply will not pay Spaz to go away and also some other school for stealing their coach.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:42 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:&. I still hold Diaco high on the list and it is true that there are only so many jobs. i just hope that what he saw from BC on Saturday night didnt scare the living crap out of him, in terms of wow, they have no talent. that is a 4-5 year rebuild, and I dont want to take that on as my first head job.

I'd imagine Diaco wouldn't scrutinize the attractiveness of the BC job by the current talent on the field, but rather by what he thought of BC as a whole. Perhaps someone can enlighten me, but I would imagine Diaco had some time to check out the campus in some way. What did he think of the area, the campus, the gameday vibe, etc? It would then all come down to how he felt about the program as a whole, and his relationship with BB should they get down to serious talks. All in all, the historical record of BC should speak louder than the performance of Spaz's team.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:57 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:&. I still hold Diaco high on the list and it is true that there are only so many jobs. i just hope that what he saw from BC on Saturday night didnt scare the living crap out of him, in terms of wow, they have no talent. that is a 4-5 year rebuild, and I dont want to take that on as my first head job.

I'd imagine Diaco wouldn't scrutinize the attractiveness of the BC job by the current talent on the field, but rather by what he thought of BC as a whole. Perhaps someone can enlighten me, but I would imagine Diaco had some time to check out the campus in some way. What did he think of the area, the campus, the gameday vibe, etc? It would then all come down to how he felt about the program as a whole, and his relationship with BB should they get down to serious talks. All in all, the historical record of BC should speak louder than the performance of Spaz's team.

I think his interest in the job boils down to how successfully he thinks he can recruit at BC. When talking to recruits, does he get the impression that BC is toxic or do these kids would happily explore BC if it wasn't the trainwreck its been under Spazoo? Perhaps the most attractive thing about Diaco is that the recruiting areas BC needs for success are the same that Diaco has been dominating for ND: Jersey, Catholic schools, Big Ten country.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle216 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:08 pm

A young Assistant who would view BC as their first HC job, but certainly not their last, should find BC very attractive. Unlike say Tennessee, where you need to win SEC titles or you are a failure, all the while competing against giant programs, at BC it will not take much for a competent HC to be deemed "successful", and therefore able to make a move up. In recent decades, everytime BC has had a competent HC, they have won a lot of games and the HC has been deemed successful. An informed assistant will know that if he has any HC acumen, he will, at the very least be a perenial 7-5/8-4 team with BC, and will as such, be deemed a huge success. And of course, their is still a chance at getting and ACC title and/or a BCS bowl bid.

The bottom line is that BC is a very safe bet for the first time HC. Its like an undervalued stock, or a floundering company that can be bought at 10 cents on the dollar and turned into a winner.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:24 pm

The program is a disaster... no way to sugarcoat it. BC can be very attractive for the very reason that it is at rock bottom. The fandom will allow you time to rebuld and ANY progress will be viewed by outsiders as a miracle working. After 5 or 6 years, if BC has gotten back to its normal level, you can pretty much write your own check. In the meantime, your wife and family have a great place to live. And... you will have the least amount of media interaction and rubber chicken circuit than any other BCS coach. While I don't think BC should constrain its search (meaning that guys who don't seem like traditional fits should be explored), I do think that BC will need to select a coach who fully understands what he is getting into. He needs to understand the state of the talent and recruiting he inherits, whatever salary constraints he may have regarding assistants, the importance of recruiting literate players, the impossibility to sneak in partial qualifiers or JuCos and the importance that the kids graduate and not get arrested. They need to have a plan on how and where they will recruit and what schemes they feel will work offensively and defensively. I think ultimately, BC is a perfect fit for a coach like Coughlin... tireless worker who is obsessed with winning but really can't be bothered with the dog-and-pony show of alumni speeches and media interviews.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCWest on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:25 pm

Comments in red.

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Addressing a few of the recent posts:

1.Spaz should be gone within 48 hours after the game in Raleigh. He is not coming back. It is not a secret. the only thing that could hold it up, would be if there was some negotiating to be done on his buyout, but those negotiations should be going on now behing closed doors if BC were to once be proactive.

The negotiations will not even be handled by Bates. It really does not matter much. Bates already knows what they maximum cost will be. Plus, Leahy is not going to handcuff him with GDF's mistakes.

2. There are some names floated, that just don't seem to be in play for me. Butch Jones will not be leaving Cincy for BC. He is paid well there, and when he does leave it will be for a job better than BC. Greg Roman has East Coast ties, but I just don't see him leaving the NFL for a mediocre East Coast college job. His resume may be too good. I could see him at Cal. As much as we say that diaco doesnt seem like a fit in the SEC becuase he is an East Coast guy, shouldnt the inverse be true, that the Hudspeths, Sonny Dykes, and the good young college coaches from SEC country don't seem like a good fit at BC?

BC is a much better job than you are giving it credit for. To the right kind of coach, the BC job is very appealing. Why did Grobe turn down Bama? Why did Troy Calhoun turn down the vols? The kind of coach BC wants and needs is also the kind of guy who will value they type of school it is and the kind of kids they can recruit and coach. Remember a few things about Roman. He is only 41. He is mentioned for some NFL jobs, but not a leading candidate. The real question for him is, do you wnat to coach in the NFL or college? The BC job will be a solid fit for him if he wants to go the college route. I completely think Dykes is a bad fit for BC for the same reasons Diaco would be a good fit.

3. Uconn is going to be in an interesting situation with Pasqualoni. He is pulling a Spaz. He has had two subpar years in a row and shouldn't be given a third, much as Spaz shouldn't have been given this year. I could see Addazzio pushing hard for that job, though his star is dimming with a bad year at Temple.

Addazio turned that Uconn job down. Be interesting to see if they come knocking again. IF I was at Uconn I would pull the ripcord on Pasq. Bad hire.

4. I think the best thing that happened to Edsall was that every quarterback on his roster went down. He is playing a linebacker at qb, and that will allow him to hide behind the fact that he has had two crappy years. he went 2-10 in year one, with one of the wins over Towson. 1-7 in conference. they beat Miami in the opener and then lost every other game except Towson. He is on his way to a 4-8 (2-6) season this year with a 7-6 win over William and Mary thrown in there. For the record, Fridge went 9-4 in his last season before the ouster. That is a huge dropoff. And for the record I would take the Fridge as my OC any day of the week. Is the sole reason why he can't find another job or even get mentioned in one is becasue he is 600 pounds? Either way, Randy is the clock beginning next season. No bowl game, then adios.

5. The one random phone call I would certainly make if I were bates would be to Bronco Mendanhall. He has always been very publicly affectionate towards BC and going from BYU to BC in terms of recruiting applicant should not be that difficult. He just recently had two or three players who got in a horrific fight in a restaurant where a woamn was knocked out, so a courtesy call should be made.

6. Golden should also get a call. I have seen peole say it is too complicated becasue he would be staying in the conference. It wasnt that complicated for TOB to go to Raleigh.

No question. It is worth the call. BC just needs to know if he is interested and what his buyout is.

&. I still hold Diaco high on the list and it is true that there are only so many jobs. i just hope that what he saw from BC on Saturday night didnt scare the living crap out of him, in terms of wow, they have no talent. that is a 4-5 year rebuild, and I dont want to take that on as my first head job.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCWest on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:30 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:The program is a disaster... no way to sugarcoat it. BC can be very attractive for the very reason that it is at rock bottom. The fandom will allow you time to rebuld and ANY progress will be viewed by outsiders as a miracle working. After 5 or 6 years, if BC has gotten back to its normal level, you can pretty much write your own check. In the meantime, your wife and family have a great place to live. And... you will have the least amount of media interaction and rubber chicken circuit than any other BCS coach. While I don't think BC should constrain its search (meaning that guys who don't seem like traditional fits should be explored), I do think that BC will need to select a coach who fully understands what he is getting into. He needs to understand the state of the talent and recruiting he inherits, whatever salary constraints he may have regarding assistants, the importance of recruiting literate players, the impossibility to sneak in partial qualifiers or JuCos and the importance that the kids graduate and not get arrested. They need to have a plan on how and where they will recruit and what schemes they feel will work offensively and defensively. I think ultimately, BC is a perfect fit for a coach like Coughlin... tireless worker who is obsessed with winning but really can't be bothered with the dog-and-pony show of alumni speeches and media interviews.

Some thoughts:

Any coach BC is hiring this go round better be the kind of guy where he does his homework on BC. If BC has to explain all this, BC is making another bad hire.

I do not believe admissions is going to be the problem. The challenge for the new coach is simply recruiting kids who can stay eligible. There is no place to hide at BC. Admissions, IMHO, will be fine. But the coach has to know a kid can make it through every semester at BC.

Sure, BC is a great fit for a TC. But those guys are more than rare. Who else is like TC? I would like to see BC actually hire a guy who is recruiter. Not that TC wasn't. But when - ever - has BC hired a known capable recruiter as the HC? Also, BC needs a guy who does do the alumni speeches and media. College football is in a different place. BC really is a different place. We do need a guy who can represent the program. Or at least learn to do it quickly.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:53 pm

I know (mostly) everyone thinks Golden is a home run. I like Golden, and would have loved (obviously) for him to have been our last hire. I thought he really pulled of a miracle at Temple and his recruiting ability as an assistant is well documented. How much of a cause for concern is the likelihood of bringing D'Onofrio who has put together a defense which is only slightly better than Spaz' 2012 defense with what is likely to be better talent that we see in the short run?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:06 pm

Good posts by HJS and WEST. I agree with HJS though that the BC program as it currently sits, is probably one of the least attractive in the BCS: The negatives:

1. History of underpaying head coach (no. 1 point of interest for any coach)
2. Tremendous lack of talent on roster: 4-5 year rebuild.
3. Difficult admissions, so no quick fixes via Juco
4. no fertile recruiting area locally
5. poor gameday atmosphere
6. Facilities dramatically on the low end of the BCS
7. weather
8. local interest in program
9. bowl game snubs, ie BC can be 8-4 and will get passed over by every 7-5 team in conference.
10.small budget for assistants.
11. Pro town, no media coverage.

PROS:

1. Pro town, no media coverage. IE, no one is trashing you in the newspaper when your firdt three years are 3-8,4-7, 5-6.
2. Can sell the great academic avenue
3. if you turn it around at BC, you can punch your ticket anywhere, as most media consider it impossible to win at BC
4. you have a 3-4 year window where nobody expects anything form you.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:07 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:Sure, BC is a great fit for a TC. But those guys are more than rare. Who else is like TC? I would like to see BC actually hire a guy who is recruiter. Not that TC wasn't. But when - ever - has BC hired a known capable recruiter as the HC? Also, BC needs a guy who does do the alumni speeches and media. College football is in a different place. BC really is a different place. We do need a guy who can represent the program. Or at least learn to do it quickly.

I don't necessarily think they are all that rare. I think there are a decent number of coaches who really can't be bothered to do anything but coach to win. And, what I was trying to say is that we probably would be better off with that than a media hound.

I just don't think getting along with the media or the Gridiron Club is at all important. Heck... we pretty much have that now with "Good Guy" Frank. BC is a national school with no centralized alums (so a weekly gridiron dinner will attract the same 15 people). Further, Boston is a front-running town. You simply aren't going to get Massholes interested or NY area alums willing to sacrifice their weekend unless they are seeing a winner. The next coach's media persona will not change this.

That said, I've said elsewhere in this thread that the single greatest attribute for the next football needs to have is the ability to recruit. There is no way around it. Recruiting is the lifeblood of college football. While BC's stance may have been noble to buck that trend and focus more on "blue collar", "hard working", "immensely coachable" kids, the bottom line is that at the end of the day, you need to have certain amount of talent... and that is the most glaring thing lacking in the Spaz Error.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:13 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:That said, I've said elsewhere in this thread that the single greatest attribute for the next football needs to have is the ability to recruit. There is no way around it. Recruiting is the lifeblood of college football. While BC's stance may have been noble to buck that trend and focus more on "blue collar", "hard working", "immensely coachable" kids, the bottom line is that at the end of the day, you need to have certain amount of talent... and that is the most glaring thing lacking in the Spaz Error.

Even more so with the position we're in. This team needs a serious talent upgrade.

Sure it has some nice pieces, but on the whole this team is light years removed talent wise from 5 years ago (let alone coaching wise).

Not to pile on the kid, but we're starting a true FR RB who didn't have another BCS offer and was projected to be a DB. The OL can't block for shit and there isn't a single thing this D does well.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:16 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I know (mostly) everyone thinks Golden is a home run. I like Golden, and would have loved (obviously) for him to have been our last hire. I thought he really pulled of a miracle at Temple and his recruiting ability as an assistant is well documented. How much of a cause for concern is the likelihood of bringing D'Onofrio who has put together a defense which is only slightly better than Spaz' 2012 defense with what is likely to be better talent that we see in the short run?

Golden is a home run because (a) he is a great recruiter, (b) he understands what BC is about, (c) he is a good face of the program type (says all the right things) and (d) he is young and a tireless worker. No one is perfect, so I think there are also valid concerns about him. For instance, his love affair with the 3-4 in college is ridiculous. Further, the man is a job jumper who apparently never buys and only signs leases month-to-month. We would constantly be hearing his name whenever a B10 job opens (which will hinder his recruiting). Also, his leaving Miami will be widely critiqued... and, in some way, his reputation will be damaged. I'd still take him in a heartbeat as the known positives greatly outweigh the known negatives.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:22 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I know (mostly) everyone thinks Golden is a home run. I like Golden, and would have loved (obviously) for him to have been our last hire. I thought he really pulled of a miracle at Temple and his recruiting ability as an assistant is well documented. How much of a cause for concern is the likelihood of bringing D'Onofrio who has put together a defense which is only slightly better than Spaz' 2012 defense with what is likely to be better talent that we see in the short run?

Golden is a home run because (a) he is a great recruiter, (b) he understands what BC is about, (c) he is a good face of the program type (says all the right things) and (d) he is young and a tireless worker. No one is perfect, so I think there are also valid concerns about him. For instance, his love affair with the 3-4 in college is ridiculous. Further, the man is a job jumper who apparently never buys and only signs leases month-to-month. We would constantly be hearing his name whenever a B10 job opens (which will hinder his recruiting). Also, his leaving Miami will be widely critiqued... and, in some way, his reputation will be damaged. I'd still take him in a heartbeat as the known positives greatly outweigh the known negatives.

I agree and understand (a) through (c). I have some concern that (d) is something that wears away over time. I don't care too much about the job hopping although it would certainly cause agita later on. I do think his reputation will take a huge hit if he comes to BC from Miami,or leaves Miami at all. I also agree the good outweighs the bad, it just doesn't seem as home runnish as it once did. Also he's not leaving Miami would be my guess.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:27 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:The OL can't block for shit and there isn't a single thing this D does well.

I think that's a bit harsh. I think the D has proven to be very well accomplished at: getting blocked, giving up TDs, cure struggling offenses, bouncing off tackles and allowing running backs to run unabated.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle216 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:58 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Good posts by HJS and WEST. I agree with HJS though that the BC program as it currently sits, is probably one of the least attractive in the BCS: The negatives:

7. weather
9. bowl game snubs, ie BC can be 8-4 and will get passed over by every 7-5 team in conference.

PROS:

1. Pro town, no media coverage. IE, no one is trashing you in the newspaper when your firdt three years are 3-8,4-7, 5-6.
3. if you turn it around at BC, you can punch your ticket anywhere, as most media consider it impossible to win at BC

While I don't disagree with your bullet points, I do disagree with your conclusion that this is "one of the least attractive [jobs] in the BCS". Whenever we have had even a decent HC, we have won, and more importantly, said coach was deemed a success by the college football inteligensia. All a candidate will need to know is that Tom fucking O'Brien was thought to be a coaching god simply because he shot even par at BC. On paper, a job like Tennessee is a million times better, but after 5 years, you will look better having gone to BC than Tenn if you can coach.

And I somewhat disagree on the amount of time it will take us to get to 7-5 IN THE ACC. Most of our talent over the last 10-15 years has played well as Frosh and Sophs. Just need a Raji and Brace and the DL will be fine. I really think the LB core is not that far off. And while the DB core is miserable, we just need it to suck less, and that can happen quickly. For offense, I suspect, based on just rank speculation, that this is the one area where coaching may help, but nonetheless, guys like Snee, et al played well as youngins. Will said coach hit all of this year one? Of course not. But I think said coach could have us at 6-6 in year 2, which will seem like a SB championship by that point.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:40 pm

eagle216 {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Good posts by HJS and WEST. I agree with HJS though that the BC program as it currently sits, is probably one of the least attractive in the BCS: The negatives:

7. weather

PROS:

While I don't disagree with your bullet points, I do disagree with your conclusion that this is "one of the least attractive [jobs] in the BCS". Whenever we have had even a decent HC, we have won, and more importantly, said coach was deemed a success by the college football inteligensia. All a candidate will need to know is that Tom fucking O'Brien was thought to be a coaching god simply because he shot even par at BC. On paper, a job like Tennessee is a million times better, but after 5 years, you will look better having gone to BC than Tenn if you can coach.

And I somewhat disagree on the amount of time it will take us to get to 7-5 IN THE ACC. Most of our talent over the last 10-15 years has played well as Frosh and Sophs. Just need a Raji and Brace and the DL will be fine. I really think the LB core is not that far off. And while the DB core is miserable, we just need it to suck less, and that can happen quickly. For offense, I suspect, based on just rank speculation, that this is the one area where coaching may help, but nonetheless, guys like Snee, et al played well as youngins. Will said coach hit all of this year one? Of course not. But I think said coach could have us at 6-6 in year 2, which will seem like a SB championship by that point.

I actually tend to agree with this. The talent level of the recruits is down slightly no doubt, but not dramatically different from what TOB brought to BC from high school. The main difference is that the players that TOB brought to BC were not relied upon until they were sophomores or juniors (AFTER A REDSHIRT YEAR).

Spaz has proven to be bad enough that even with a redshirt and time to mature, the players still may not have developed in the same way TOB's players did, but taking these recruits and throwing them out there with no time to mature has been a death sentence (it really just plays to the faults of spaz as he ran off capable players (because they weren't a fit/dreadlocks vs goldilocks) that could have provided him depth in the early years that would have allowed him to redshirt his first few classes and the classes since).

Still, I think there is enough top line talent on this team to be semi competitive next year with a competent staff. There is no depth, but I would rather take the chance next year with a thin roster if it allows the next coach to redshirt the incoming class and begin to build a program.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:44 pm

off the top of my head, here is my list of BCS jobs worse than BC:

ACC: duke, maybe WF(probably worse, but they pay very well)

clearly worse: Washington St, , Kansas State after Snyder leaves, Kansas, Indiana, Utah

comparable: Iowa St, Baylor, Minnesota, Colorado, Kentucky.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby Mosi on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:47 pm

I've heard two interesting things in the past 24 hours, not on the search per se, but on Blauds' bestist friend 'Good Guy Frank'

1) guy I know was at a BC Club Flynn Fund thing back in the spring to meet the new coaches, Martin, Bulman and McGovern was there as well. Durring the Q&A someone basicly asked 'why recruiting sucks' Mc Goo said that in the past we'd compteted for the top NE players with 'cuse, SUNJ, etc and we'd pull more then our share but now any (gonna use the S word) Stud NE prospect is also being recruited by the Big'uns and we cant compete with them. This is why we have a roster full flyers and guys who should be playing FCS

2) heard this from a coworker who knows a players dad, last year Spaz ripped the LBs position coach over and over on the practice field to the point where the players were uncomfortable with Fearless Leader. so Keeks, on behalf of the players told Good Guy Frank, they as a group wanted no part of it. Our leader of men told one of the two best LBs ever to put on the uniform to 'get the fuck out of his office'

two more games!!! :spaz2 :spaz3
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:54 pm

People are way underselling the BC job here. Is Nick Saban leaving Alabama for it? No. But over the last 30 years Jack Bicknell, Dan Henning, TOB, Jags and freaking Spaz have taken us to bowl games. Coaches in general are an overconfident bunch. Most think that if that list of coaches can win games at BC, "I can too." All the issues with recruiting are overblown. Vanderbilt is now recruiting well. So is Northwestern. A good recruiter can bring in enough talent to have us compete for the Division every year.

Look at TOB at NC State. On paper NC State might be considered a better job but where do you think he earned more respect from his fellow coaches? Where do you think he enjoyed recruiting more? Where did he have a better lifestyle? The desirability of the job is really going to depend on the guy.

In the end I don't think Golden is coming here, but the rumors are not an accident. Miami is still trying to decide if self imposing a bowl ban this year will help. They won't get hit as hard as Penn State, but I think it will be worse than USC's Reggie Bush penalties. Golden is an opportunist and knows that he's got to leave while he still has a place to go. He might not be headed to BC, but don't be surprised if he ends up in a random place like Cal or Purdue just to stay one-step ahead of the sanctions.
Last edited by ATLeagle on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle216 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:11 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:People are way underselling the BC job here. Is Nick Saban leaving Alabama for it? No. But over the last 30 years Jack Bicknell, Dan Henning, TOB, Jags and freaking Spaz have taken us to bowl games. Coaches in general are an overconfident bunch. Most think that it that list of coaches can win games at BC, "I can too." All the issues with recruiting are overblown. Vanderbilt is now recruiting well. So is Northwestern. A good recruiter can bring in enough talent to have us compete for the Division every year.

Look at TOB at NC State. On paper NC State might be considered a better job but where do you think he earned more respect from his fellow coaches? Where do you think he enjoyed recruiting more? Where did he have a better lifestyle? The desirability of the job is really going to depend on the guy.

In the end I don't think Golden is coming here, but the rumors are not an accident. Miami is still trying to decide if self imposing a bowl ban this year will help. They won't get hit as hard as Penn State, but I think it will be worse than USC's Reggie Bush penalties. Golden is an opportunist and knows that he's got to leave while he still has a place to go. He might not be headed to BC, but don't be surprised if he ends up in a random place like Cal or Purdue just to stay one-step ahead of the sanctions.

We also have to remember that Miami is not a real baby rapists. They basically invented the ghetto program that is now the norm in college football. But everyone else caught up - the entire SEC for example. Now, they are just a south Florida version of us, granted with much furtile local recruiting. Us older guys on the board remember the early to mid 80s when they came out of nowhere to challenge the traditional powers. Going forward, the real baby rapists in the ACC will be FSU and Clemson .... Assuming they come back.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:47 am

If Schiano can get shithole program in NJ to recruit 5 star talent (from Catholic schools no less) then we can get recruits too. That sentence just annoyed my. Spaz has been a fucking disaster in oppurtunity costs.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:24 am

The staff is full of a bunch of mopes. I heard that they blamed attendance at the Spring game and also kids don't grow up dreaming of playing for BC for their recruiting issues. And Spaz was nowhere to be found for 3 weeks during summer camps. The previous poster is correct. Say what you want about coach monkey face. He worked his ass of in recruiting and earned his money. Spaz should be required to pay back a portion of his salary for his efforts. Fortunately, his rocket ship is scheduled to take off during Thanksgiving weekend. I hope Gallup is on board.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:36 am

Honestly I hope all of them are on board for a scheduled 11/27 departure. There isn't a single one of them that has proven they deserve to stick around.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

PreviousNext