Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:07 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Heights Sports editor announced that the team was told a new coach will be hired in 24-48 hours

AJG saying the final three are Diaco, Lembo, and Kromer.

What is AJG?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:10 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Heights Sports editor announced that the team was told a new coach will be hired in 24-48 hours

Blaudschun's sources are the guys at EA. He knows no more about what's going on than the rest of us.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:12 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

So it better be Diaco or we will all be pissed.

Lembo has zero experience at a D1 level and then I may believe the Patriot League level.
Kromer has no college experience and until this year was never even a coordinator/HC.

So much for Diaco or Golden.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:12 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

Blaudschun's sources are the guys at EA. He knows no more about what's going on than the rest of us.

That's an ugly final 3. It better be Diaco
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:12 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

Thank god it was him, now I dont believe the silliness. I didnt remember who AJG was.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:16 am

The speed at which this is moving leads me to believe that one of the candidates knocked Bates' socks off. It could be anyone, given the lack of viable leaks from the program, but you have to believe given what we know that Diaco is the most likely.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:16 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

Thank god it was him, now I dont believe the silliness. I didnt remember who AJG was.

"AJG" looks a lot like "AJC," I understand your initial reaction.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:26 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

What is AJG?

A Jersey Guy, aka Blaudscum.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:28 am

Question about Diaco: if he is named the new HC in the next day or so, will he still be able to coach in the BCS Championship and take over at BC after the game? I can't imagine he would leave ND before that. So that has me wondering if the timing could work against him here.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:34 am

Dave Shook on the Twitter box:

1. This is Golden's job to turn down. There is a small chance that he will take it, but he hasn't ruled it out.
2. If he turns it down, Diaco is the new coach.
3. Lembo/Kromer are "2nd-tier" and will only be contacted if for some reason neither of the two above take the job.

https://twitter.com/DShookCSL
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:40 am

Dave Shook @DShookCSL
This is Al Golden's job to turn down (he's a legit candidate). If he does turn it down, Bob Diaco is the new #BCEagles coach.

Dave Shook @DShookCSL
As has been noted, I think the chances of Golden walking away are small, but the fact that he's in the mix is big.

Dave Shook @DShookCSL
For those asking, I've heard the same rumors that this process will be completed by Thursday at the latest (probably from the same source)

Dave Shook @DShookCSL
I can also confirm that Pete Lembo and Aaron Kromer are 2nd tier candidates who will be contacted again only if BOTH Diaco and Golden say no

Looks like we have our pecking order as reports are starting to mesh together.

I will say that in the doomsday event that Golden says no and Diaco similarly declines, I've been sold pretty well here on Lembo as, at the very least, something of a football genius (with recruiting skills TBD) while Kromer, again, is somewhat anonymous but I think will be significantly less so very soon. Was supposedly STL's backup plan to Fisher if Ross lured him to Miami - viewed favorably within NFL coaching circles, supposedly. These are likely non-factors at this point, but I think BB did a good job here amassing a variety of guys he seemingly feels good about. No Whipples, Addazzio's, Treadwells, etc.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:43 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

That's an ugly final 3. It better be Diaco

This.

I never thought guys like Mullen, Golden or BOB were realistic (you ask, but it ain't happening). So, I'm not disappointed that they aren't being announced. But, when we are discussing folks who REALLY want the job like Roman, PCJR and Mike Sullivan (all of whom have been or will be considered for a freaking head coaching job in the NFL)... it is a MAJOR letdown to be looking at Kroemer and Lembo instead. I also think it somewhat bad form for BC to grab someone off of New Orleans Saints staff and have it not be PCJR.

All that said... WHOEVER IT IS... even though I will be disappointed, I will give him a chance to show something. I didn't initially want BB, but he has thus far done everything that you would want. I will give the next coach the same leeway. The truth, however, is that if he starts to fail... people (including myself) will be quicker to jump on him and harken back to the questionableness of the hire (especially when we see these other finalists landing in gigs MUCH better than BC).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:44 am

does anybody think that lembo and kromer are 2nd tier candidates that only get an offer if golden and diaco turn it down?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle05 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:44 am

Can someone please point me to whatever posts that indicate why in God's name Lembo would be a final candidate for this job? It's clearly not in his background (no peer schools, no BCS schools) or his record (decent, but nothing special). I know ATL loves the guy, but still have yet to see any posts about why. Someone care to enlighten me?
BCEagle05
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:45 am

Glad to see that HJS accurately predicted that he would be disappointed with the hire.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby GT BoSox on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:50 am

Here's to hoping if it's not Golden, that Diaco gets the job.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:55 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Glad to see that HJS accurately predicted that he would be disappointed with the hire.

I would defend (like I did Jags and still do) if it is announced that the next coach is Golden, Roman, Diaco, PCJR, Sullivan. Lembo and Kroemer would disappoint. I'd give them a chance, but I'd probably be skeptical.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:59 am

Bates just said he updated the seniors today on the search

Probably CONFIRMS Joyce's report
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Mod34b on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:01 pm

Diaco, Lembo and Kroemer are the final 3?

What does that say? 2 #2s and one seemingly marginal HC.

Is this a sign that BC is being cheap? maybe. I always assume $2M was a ceiling amount, not an actual amount BC was going to pay.

Where are the hot shots? I am surprised BB cold not even give the appearance of going for the gusto. Interview Doeren, Hazell, Jones and others. My god BB look where BC is. look how tenuous our perch is. Make a splash BB. I just kinda think BB is a drone, process-obsessed, non-spalsh type, and the new coach with be like-minded.

Diaco probably is a good choice, maybe, but the other 2 seem almost embarrassing as finalists. I hope this finalist list is just AJG bullshit.
Mod34b

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:06 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Glad to see that HJS accurately predicted that he would be disappointed with the hire.

I would defend (like I did Jags and still do) if it is announced that the next coach is Golden, Roman, Diaco, PCJR, Sullivan. Lembo and Kroemer would disappoint. I'd give them a chance, but I'd probably be skeptical.

Didn't you hate PCJR like two weeks ago?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:07 pm

ATL's saying this morning he heard Golden, Diaco and an unknown third person are the final three.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:12 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Didn't you hate PCJR like two weeks ago?

You can see my preferences for coaches here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9896&start=1500
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bcaddict on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:16 pm

This job has always been and will be for the rest of today, Al Golden's to turn down. Expect a big hint on what he's thinking when he goes on Feldman's show today. Given the fact that he's even going on the show suggests to me that he's not leaving Miami as he would be put in the uncomfortable position of either shooting down rumors of his departure/sidestepping the question (and then agreeing to leave that day) or talking about the future of the Miami program in glowing terms (and agreeing to leave that day). If you're leaving, why go on the show?

Given the likelihood that Golden turns this down, it's Diaco's. if Diaco didn't want this job, he wouldn't have come in for a second interview with Leo and Leahy yesterday. The public turn down doesn't have the same optics when coming from the Coordinator position as it does from the HC. He wants this job.

80% Diaco.
15% Golden.
5% third person
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:24 pm

Mod34b {l Wrote}:Where are the hot shots? I am surprised BB cold not even give the appearance of going for the gusto. Interview Doeren, Hazell, Jones and others. My god BB look where BC is. look how tenuous our perch is. Make a splash BB. I just kinda think BB is a drone, process-obsessed, non-spalsh type, and the new coach with be like-minded.

Diaco probably is a good choice, maybe, but the other 2 seem almost embarrassing as finalists. I hope this finalist list is just AJG bullshit.

When it comes to MAC coaches, you are just going to have to trust that BB knows Lembo, Doeren, Hazell and Campbell better than anyone. If he thinks Lembo is the best... he probably is.

As far as Butch Jones... would you pay him the $3mm per that he is getting for Colorado??? He's a good coach and all... but there is simply no way you can convince me he is worth that type of money. PCJR, Sullivan and Roman have all been linked to this job. PCJR and Roman have both interviewed for head coaching jobs in the NFL... all 3 will likely be looked at this off-season. Those are big names in the coaching fraternity. Why didn't BB choose them? I don't know. That has more to do with the decision than the search.

No one should be disappointed in Diaco. He has been named on this board forever... he is known as a great recruiter... he already has connections with every Catholic school in the country... he played for Hayden Frye and was mentored by Brian Kelly... HE is the only reason that ND is in the National Championship... he is young... and he has ties to the recruiting grounds of New Jersey and the Northeast.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:31 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

"AJG" looks a lot like "AJC," I understand your initial reaction.

Atlanta Journal is a lot more credible then a jerk in his basement.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:33 pm

bcaddict {l Wrote}:This job has always been and will be for the rest of today, Al Golden's to turn down. Expect a big hint on what he's thinking when he goes on Feldman's show today. Given the fact that he's even going on the show suggests to me that he's not leaving Miami as he would be put in the uncomfortable position of either shooting down rumors of his departure/sidestepping the question (and then agreeing to leave that day) or talking about the future of the Miami program in glowing terms (and agreeing to leave that day). If you're leaving, why go on the show?

Given the likelihood that Golden turns this down, it's Diaco's. if Diaco didn't want this job, he wouldn't have come in for a second interview with Leo and Leahy yesterday. The public turn down doesn't have the same optics when coming from the Coordinator position as it does from the HC. He wants this job.

80% Diaco.
15% Golden.
5% third person

I agree. Based on the timing of everything, I get the impression that BB has made his decision. Since Diaco was in yesterday, you have to assume that its him (or that he was at least the finalist and BB was convinced yesterday that the other guy is better). I assume that Golden has been stringing BC along and BC has told him that they are moving on (possibly giving him a deadline to say yes or no). They will get the "no thanks" from Golden and then they will finalize the contract and make the announcement tomorrow. I assume the name will leak at some point tonight. All that said... you never know what will happen in contract negotiations. What if Golden refuses to put a buyout in his contract or if Diaco says that he'll have a buyout but with a carve-out for Iowa? Things could fall apart quickly. I... like I assume most on the board... would feel a lot more comfortable with everything if Roman was the 3rd option (instead of Lembo and Kromer).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagletx on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Golden has so much more in his favor from my perspective than the others: he knows BC and knows the task it would be to rebuild; he knows the ACC and the competition, and as an adjunct, the kind of players he will have to recruit to be ACC ready; we know he has succeeded in rebuilding projects before; and lastly, and maybe more importantly, with his coaching credentials, he wouldn't put that all at risk at BC unless he felt confident he could turn things around in reasonably short order. I love the fact that his name is still viable, meaning he hasn't preempted the possibility that he may take the job. I hope, as some have suggested, that $$ won't be an impediment.

Diaco would be my #2 choice, primarily because he is a defensive guy, and I happen to believe that a defensive focus can make you more quickly competitive going forward.

Kromer and Lembo would drive me out of the financial support mode entirely. My money (literally and figuratively) is riding on either Golden or Diaco. MAC guys leave me cold; Kromer doesn't seem to fit the expressed criteria of a guy with HC experience anyway, and it just seems like Bates would be falling back to a familiar face with Kromer, his NFL experience notwithstanding.

Roman's name seems out of the mix now, but he would be my next choice. Sullivan also intrigues me, but again seems now to be an unlikely candidate.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:38 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:Where are the hot shots? I am surprised BB cold not even give the appearance of going for the gusto. Interview Doeren, Hazell, Jones and others. My god BB look where BC is. look how tenuous our perch is. Make a splash BB. I just kinda think BB is a drone, process-obsessed, non-spalsh type, and the new coach with be like-minded.

When it comes to MAC coaches, you are just going to have to trust that BB knows Lembo, Doeren, Hazell and Campbell better than anyone. If he thinks Lembo is the best... he probably is.

As far as Butch Jones... would you pay him the $3mm per that he is getting for Colorado??? He's a good coach and all... but there is simply no way you can convince me he is worth that type of money. PCJR, Sullivan and Roman have all been linked to this job. PCJR and Roman have both interviewed for head coaching jobs in the NFL... all 3 will likely be looked at this off-season. Those are big names in the coaching fraternity. Why didn't BB choose them? I don't know. That has more to do with the decision than the search.

No one should be disappointed in Diaco. He has been named on this board forever... he is known as a great recruiter... he already has connections with every Catholic school in the country... he played for Hayden Frye and was mentored by Brian Kelly... HE is the only reason that ND is in the National Championship... he is young... and he has ties to the recruiting grounds of New Jersey and the Northeast.

These are all the reasons I like Diaco. The only thing to hate is that he is another italian from North Jersey and I am a self hating guinea.

I think he will be a quality hire and that he has a long illustrious career here, he can be the anti-Frank Leahy, REVERSE THE CURSE.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:42 pm

I kind of understand the Lembo hate, because his resume is pretty unspectacular, but why the Kromer hate? If you like or at least tolerate Sullivan or Carmichael, he's really not very far from those candidates at all.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:43 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:These are all the reasons I like Diaco. The only thing to hate is that he is another italian from North Jersey and I am a self hating guinea.

Good point. I'm surprised the board supports Diaco. This option must be confusing for angryDick. An Italian who is having success at ND. I'd be curious to hear his thoughts.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium