Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby Mosi on Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:52 pm

BCdee {l Wrote}:Someone on the Clemson boards posted:

Chesnut Hill - The newly vacated position of Head Coach at Boston College will be intensely evaluated. There are early reports that former Clemson head coach Tommy Bowden could be a leading candidate.

Dee, tell hubby to stay away from the computer, hopefully he is playing a joke on you
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby mloyko54 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:19 pm

It's been confirmed that Kentucky interviewed Mark Stoops for their HC job.
mloyko54
n00b

Postby 31southst on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Not that it adds anything new, but EA's list of coaches is as follows:

- Al Golden
- Greg Roman
- Pete Carmichael
- Bob Diaco
- Pat Narduzzi
- Dave Doeren
- Darrell Hazell
- Mike Sullivan
- Josh McDaniels
- Bobby Wilder
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Just read somewhere that Butch Jones apparently wants to hold out for an offer to one of the bigger SEC jobs (Auburn)
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:26 pm

Another job opens up:

Jon Embree is out at Colorado after two seasons, two sources told CBSSports.com Sunday afternoon. The Buffs went 4-21 in his two seasons at CU. This year Embree's team went 1-11.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/bruce-feldman/21134667/more-coaching-turnover-at-colorado-embree-out-after-two-years
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby Skidmark on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:17 pm

One name that no one has mentioned that I think should be considered is Ball State Head Coach Pete Lembo. Despite being only 42 years old, Lembo has a career coaching record of 93-45 at the division one level. Everywhere he has been, he has been successful. Lembo took over as head coach of Lehigh in 2001 (he was only 31 years old) and led them to a 44-14 record in 5 seasons. In 2006, he took over an FCS Elon team that was AN ABSOLUTE MESS and turned them into a playoff team in only three years. Last year, he took over a Ball State team that had gone 4-8 the previous year and led them to bowl eligibility. This year, Ball State is on the verge of a 10 win season.

Lembo's biggest attribute as a coach is his organization and attention to detail. My one concern on Lembo is that history shows that after a couple of successful seasons, Lembo is eager to move on to bigger and better opportunities.
Skidmark
n00b

Postby SeaCaptim on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:21 pm

Chuck Martin (Offensive Coordinator Notre Dame) and a former head coach. He has "it".
Eric Mangini (failed NFL head coach, but his talent at NY and Cleveland was poor). He is young enough and if he wants to recruit, he deserves an interview.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby westcoastbernie on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Skidmark {l Wrote}:One name that no one has mentioned that I think should be considered is Ball State Head Coach Pete Lembo. Despite being only 42 years old, Lembo has a career coaching record of 93-45 at the division one level. Everywhere he has been, he has been successful. Lembo took over as head coach of Lehigh in 2001 (he was only 31 years old) and led them to a 44-14 record in 5 seasons. In 2006, he took over an FCS Elon team that was AN ABSOLUTE MESS and turned them into a playoff team in only three years. Last year, he took over a Ball State team that had gone 4-8 the previous year and led them to bowl eligibility. This year, Ball State is on the verge of a 10 win season.

Lembo's biggest attribute as a coach is his organization and attention to detail. My one concern on Lembo is that history shows that after a couple of successful seasons, Lembo is eager to move on to bigger and better opportunities.

Ok, let's take a look at him. I don't care about his upward mobility desires. BC is not a destination job but a stop along the way. if he can turn this shit show around and stay through a recruiting cycle, then he can move along. The life of a head coach at any one program is abut 5 years anyway and after about 7 years, they grow stale. So, at 41 Lembo comes in does a great job And at 45 leaves to take over an NFL franchise or "destination" college job. Given his backbround that would be Michigan, tOSU, Notre Dame or USC. Those places may have an opening at thta time.
westcoastbernie
Carney Hall

Postby durkcal on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:49 pm

the next coach will not be taking this as a "stepping stone". Coaches that are thinking that see that the roster is pretty well stacked. Any smart coach looking at our current roster is not going to have that impression. Our next coach will be planning to be here a while. Think TOB tenure.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:24 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:Not that it adds anything new, but EA's list of coaches is as follows:

- Al Golden
- Greg Roman
- Pete Carmichael
- Bob Diaco
- Pat Narduzzi
- Dave Doeren
- Darrell Hazell
- Mike Sullivan
- Josh McDaniels
- Bobby Wilder

It's nice to know that Farrell still reads my posts.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:27 pm

if a coach is coming from the mac, i want him to be young. otherwise, it probably means he wasn't on a very upward trajectory
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby ObserverCollege on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:01 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:the next coach will not be taking this as a "stepping stone". Coaches that are thinking that see that the roster is pretty well stacked. Any smart coach looking at our current roster is not going to have that impression. Our next coach will be planning to be here a while. Think TOB tenure.

Think TOB tenure??? Think TOB, period. Tom O'Brien is the only one who can salvage what Boston College has been.

Obviously, firing Frank Spaziani as Head Coach is a PR gesture. Anyone who knows football understands it was Jags and Gene who went 2-10; Spaz was stuck with their mess. Yet Bates wants to make a splash. Fine. I get it. But you have a responsibility to actually build a, you know, football program.

TOB can get Spaz to come back as DC, building a top-notch defense while avoiding having to go through with a buyout. He can bump McGovern back down to LB coach. He can bring in Dana Bible to fix the offense. And by keeping Spaziani on staff, TOB can salvage this recruiting class.

That's the biggest point. BC simply cannot afford to vaporize another recruiting class. Not when schools like Maine and CW Post and Kutztown State are circling like vultures around this class in the wake of all the "Spaz on the Hot Seat" talk. Bates has to have the guts to step beyond himself to what's right for BC.

He has to have the guts to step into Tom O'Brien's Daniel Island mansion and hand over whatever Tom wants to save this program.
Shake down the Thunder!!!
ObserverCollege
Carney Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:21 pm

ObserverCollege {l Wrote}:
durkcal {l Wrote}:the next coach will not be taking this as a "stepping stone". Coaches that are thinking that see that the roster is pretty well stacked. Any smart coach looking at our current roster is not going to have that impression. Our next coach will be planning to be here a while. Think TOB tenure.

Think TOB tenure??? Think TOB, period. Tom O'Brien is the only one who can salvage what Boston College has been.

Obviously, firing Frank Spaziani as Head Coach is a PR gesture. Anyone who knows football understands it was Jags and Gene who went 2-10; Spaz was stuck with their mess. Yet Bates wants to make a splash. Fine. I get it. But you have a responsibility to actually build a, you know, football program.

TOB can get Spaz to come back as DC, building a top-notch defense while avoiding having to go through with a buyout. He can bump McGovern back down to LB coach. He can bring in Dana Bible to fix the offense. And by keeping Spaziani on staff, TOB can salvage this recruiting class.

That's the biggest point. BC simply cannot afford to vaporize another recruiting class. Not when schools like Maine and CW Post and Kutztown State are circling like vultures around this class in the wake of all the "Spaz on the Hot Seat" talk. Bates has to have the guts to step beyond himself to what's right for BC.

He has to have the guts to step into Tom O'Brien's Daniel Island mansion and hand over whatever Tom wants to save this program.

The alli-ass ObserverCollege enjoys Riesling.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby miutbc on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:27 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:As we finally embark on our long-awaited coaching search (and as I have spent over a year cultivating this list of candidate and frustratingly watched as quality candidates like Kevin Sumlin, Bill O'Brien and Paul Chryst were chosen by more proactive programs), I figured it would be a good time for me to go on record with the specific list of coaches I would have if I was the AD.

Here is my list, in order. Yes, ATLeagle, I know some would be a questionable "fit". Yes, merrymen, some of these names may use BC as a stepping stone and may leave for a better job in 3-5 years. Yes, BCWest, some of these names will be non-starters for Fr. Leahy due to dissimilar religious beliefs. But, this is MY list. And, I don't give a shit about fits... just wins. I feel that operating under the delusion that BC is some sort of uner-unique university (it's not) hinders us and results in us justifying failure. Nonetheless, you will note that the poorer fits are generally down the list. The thought is that as, you move down the list, I would be more willing to roll the dice with a great coach who is a poor cultural fit (rather than go with a great fit who might not be the best coach). I broke it up into 2 categories... reaches and targets. I also included a list of crap coaches who I have no interest in. Finally, there are some coaches who have been mentioned (MacIntyre, Campbell, Kingsbury, Bobo, Addazio) who I don't think will suck, but certainly think we can do much, much better.

REACHES: See what it will take knowing that it will be nearly impossible

Dan Mullen
Al Golden
Chris Petersen
Bronco Mendenhall
Kyle Whittingham
Charlie Strong
Troy Calhoun
Jason Garrett
Herm Edwards

TARGETS: Coaches ready to make the move to take over a BCS program

Bob Diaco
Greg Roman
Pete Carmichael Jr
Mark Hudspeth
Butch Jones
Dave Doeren
Mike Sullivan
Sonny Dykes
Gus Malzahn
Willie Taggart Jr
Darrell Hazell
Bobby Wilder
Mario Cristobal

MISTAKES: Names who will be mentioned but are non-starters for me

Dave Clawson
Mark Whipple
Skip Holtz
Jim Turner
Don Brown
Jason Swepson
Don Treadwell
Dave Brock
Sean Ryan
Ryan Day
Doug Martin

bronco sucks. he inherited good team, and they've progressively gotten worse. kyle whittingham is solid but his main advantage, along to some degree with bronco, is their ability to recruit moron athletes and polynesian athletes. This will be non factors at bc. Also, kw can freely recruit juco's. both would be awful fits for bc, although kw is a good coach overall.
miutbc
Carney Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:35 pm

miutbc {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:As we finally embark on our long-awaited coaching search (and as I have spent over a year cultivating this list of candidate and frustratingly watched as quality candidates like Kevin Sumlin, Bill O'Brien and Paul Chryst were chosen by more proactive programs), I figured it would be a good time for me to go on record with the specific list of coaches I would have if I was the AD.

Here is my list, in order. Yes, ATLeagle, I know some would be a questionable "fit". Yes, merrymen, some of these names may use BC as a stepping stone and may leave for a better job in 3-5 years. Yes, BCWest, some of these names will be non-starters for Fr. Leahy due to dissimilar religious beliefs. But, this is MY list. And, I don't give a shit about fits... just wins. I feel that operating under the delusion that BC is some sort of uner-unique university (it's not) hinders us and results in us justifying failure. Nonetheless, you will note that the poorer fits are generally down the list. The thought is that as, you move down the list, I would be more willing to roll the dice with a great coach who is a poor cultural fit (rather than go with a great fit who might not be the best coach). I broke it up into 2 categories... reaches and targets. I also included a list of crap coaches who I have no interest in. Finally, there are some coaches who have been mentioned (MacIntyre, Campbell, Kingsbury, Bobo, Addazio) who I don't think will suck, but certainly think we can do much, much better.

Dan Mullen
Al Golden
Chris Petersen
Bronco Mendenhall
Kyle Whittingham
Charlie Strong
Troy Calhoun
Jason Garrett
Herm Edwards

Bob Diaco
Greg Roman
Pete Carmichael Jr
Mark Hudspeth
Butch Jones
Dave Doeren
Mike Sullivan
Sonny Dykes
Gus Malzahn
Willie Taggart Jr
Darrell Hazell
Bobby Wilder
Mario Cristobal

Dave Clawson
Mark Whipple
Skip Holtz
Jim Turner
Don Brown
Jason Swepson
Don Treadwell
Dave Brock
Sean Ryan
Ryan Day
Doug Martin

bronco sucks. he inherited good team, and they've progressively gotten worse. kyle whittingham is solid but his main advantage, along to some degree with bronco, is their ability to recruit moron athletes and polynesian athletes. This will be non factors at bc. Also, kw can freely recruit juco's. both would be awful fits for bc, although kw is a good coach overall.

So they should go to the SEC then?
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby miutbc on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:01 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
miutbc {l Wrote}:

Dan Mullen
Al Golden
Chris Petersen
Bronco Mendenhall
Kyle Whittingham
Charlie Strong
Troy Calhoun
Jason Garrett
Herm Edwards

Bob Diaco
Greg Roman
Pete Carmichael Jr
Mark Hudspeth
Butch Jones
Dave Doeren
Mike Sullivan
Sonny Dykes
Gus Malzahn
Willie Taggart Jr
Darrell Hazell
Bobby Wilder
Mario Cristobal

Dave Clawson
Mark Whipple
Skip Holtz
Jim Turner
Don Brown
Jason Swepson
Don Treadwell
Dave Brock
Sean Ryan
Ryan Day
Doug Martin

So they should go to the SEC then?

yeah with all those other mormom & poly rucruits
miutbc
Carney Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:50 am

I would like us to hire under 50. I've said it a million times but we should hire someone who is young, energetic, and has a high ceiling.

I like many of the "top candidates" that have been listed including Golden and Calhoun. I would also be very happy with Hazell.

I do not like Butch Jones. He has virtually no experience at any decent football school, even as a position coach. I also seriously question his ability to recruit.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby mloyko54 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:51 am

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS
Noticed Greg Roman not among the 10 NFL assts who may get sniffs for NFL HC jobs in @SI_PeterKing MMQB. Good sign for BC & Cal fans
mloyko54
n00b

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:01 am

HJS' reach list is retarded. There I said it (Golden excepted).
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:04 am

If I'm Cal, I'd take a hard look at Hue Jackson. I think he would make a great college head coach. I'd be fine for BC to hire him, but haven't really mentioned him much because the guy is a lifelong Californian.

As you can tell from my list of coaches, I think very highly of both Roman and Carmichael. However, so much of this process is going to be dictated by the interview. BC needs someone who is intense, focused and has a burning desire to make BC great. I think, if you were to sit down with Coughlin, Henning, TOB, Jags and Spaz and interview each, you would immediately know their personality which was ultimately on display as a head coach. Now, you may have been surprised (pleasantly or negatively) by the results, but they never deviated from their personality. The more I think about it, the more I think we are going to need someone who is a bit of a micromanager. Not to a fault... but enough so that his assistants stay on their toes and everyone is 100% certain who is in charge and where responsibility lies.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:05 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:HJS' reach list is retarded. There I said it (Golden excepted).

I guarantee none of them would lose to Bryant.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:08 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:HJS' reach list is retarded. There I said it (Golden excepted).

There are a few names on there that aren't retarded. I still say bring in Herm and he will fix recruiting and have the team fired up to play, which is 90% of head coaching in college football.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:09 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Herm Edwards might.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:09 am

awesome timing.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:13 am

Again, the only thing retarded on here is people trying to hire a rocket scientist to be head coach. The most successful head coach in BC history was a liquor and snake oil salesman that didn't call his own plays when he was an offensive coordinator.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:54 am

Skidmark {l Wrote}:One name that no one has mentioned that I think should be considered is Ball State Head Coach Pete Lembo. Despite being only 42 years old, Lembo has a career coaching record of 93-45 at the division one level. Everywhere he has been, he has been successful. Lembo took over as head coach of Lehigh in 2001 (he was only 31 years old) and led them to a 44-14 record in 5 seasons. In 2006, he took over an FCS Elon team that was AN ABSOLUTE MESS and turned them into a playoff team in only three years. Last year, he took over a Ball State team that had gone 4-8 the previous year and led them to bowl eligibility. This year, Ball State is on the verge of a 10 win season.

Would you rather a have a guy who's 3 and out but successful or a guy who works 2 years as a RB coach, then 14 years as a DC after his promotion, and then finally four years as a HC?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:00 am

The main thing I don't like about Pete Lembo is that he looks like an uncle from Staten Island.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:05 am

He looks exactly like Maury Levy

Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:16 am

HJS {l Wrote}:The main thing I don't like about Pete Lembo is that he looks like an uncle from Staten Island.

domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:22 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Again, the only thing retarded on here is people trying to hire a rocket scientist to be head coach. The most successful head coach in BC history was a liquor and snake oil salesman that didn't call his own plays when he was an offensive coordinator.

How dare you speak of Frank Leahy that way!
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium