Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:52 pm

YOU PLAY ... TO WIN ... THE GAME
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby billyshelby on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:53 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
billyshelby {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:HJS, you are thinking too big time. In Gene's ideal world Rogers and McG (and possible Siravo) stay on. The only guy who might buy that is Addazio since he and Rogers are BFFs.

I don't even think Adazio would take the gig. He probably thinks he'll clean up in the MAC and get a better offer. The mistake is in thinking GDF will be dreaming big. He'll want a protege, someone he can "mold." He's going to become more controlling, not less. Young or old, it will be someone he feels he's sharing the job with. I don't see many names on that list that fit the description of what he'll be looking for.

The only way GDF can be more controlling is if he simply dispenses with the formalities and puts on a headset and starts calling plays. The current staff has no loyalty to and very little interaction with Spaz. They pretty much all report up to the AD.

So then why would any guy on your list take the job? Gene is just going to switch regimes with the same protocol, not hand off the program to an actual football coach who has full control over his staff.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby bcnyceagle on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:53 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Not sure about Calhoun, and like Addazio better, but I am in agreement with your list.

I think that Calhoun is the most likely to seamlessly handle the special challenges at BC. He reminds me of Grobe. I really, really like Addazio a lot. I would put him hire on the list if Florida fans didn't hate him more than we hated Tranq. Christ... they had a FireAddazio website and everything. I really want to see what he can do at Temple beforehand.

As someone that watched most of Florida's games during the Addazio OC era, let's hope he never has much to do with our offense. He was a fucking epic fail with some of the best talent in the country. Of course, he could turn out to be an amazing HC and a terrible OC, but he has to prove it first. I'm not ready to jump on the Addazio bandwagon.
bcnyceagle
Cushing Hall

Postby BC923 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:53 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:YOU PLAY ... TO WIN ... THE GAME

YOU PLAY ... TO NOT LOSE ... THE GAME
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:54 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:

and then you lose anyway.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby billyshelby on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:54 pm

bcnyceagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Not sure about Calhoun, and like Addazio better, but I am in agreement with your list.

I think that Calhoun is the most likely to seamlessly handle the special challenges at BC. He reminds me of Grobe. I really, really like Addazio a lot. I would put him hire on the list if Florida fans didn't hate him more than we hated Tranq. Christ... they had a FireAddazio website and everything. I really want to see what he can do at Temple beforehand.

As someone that watched most of Florida's games during the Addazio OC era, let's hope he never has much to do with our offense. He was a fucking epic fail with some of the best talent in the country. Of course, he could turn out to be an amazing HC and a terrible OC, but he has to prove it first. I'm not ready to jump on the Addazio bandwagon.

Was Addazio that bad, or are expectations so freaking high in Florida that not averaging 117 points makes fans blow a gasket? Didn't he take over after they won the championship? That's a tough bar to work with.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:55 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:

Don't fuck with my Herm Edwards pipedream. It is cheering me up.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcnyceagle on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:58 pm

billyshelby {l Wrote}:
bcnyceagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Was Addazio that bad, or are expectations so freaking high in Florida that not averaging 117 points makes fans blow a gasket? Didn't he take over after they won the championship? That's a tough bar to work with.

IMO, he was fucking awful. He decided to diddle around with backfield misdirection and leaving it on his athletes to break big plays, rather than actually trying to out-scheme the opposing D.
bcnyceagle
Cushing Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:06 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The more I think about this, the more I think Herm Edwards would be awesome. Can you imagine that hyperactive dude in the locker room? Can you imagine a kid not wanting to come play for him, given his enthusiasm and his NFL connections?

It's certainly as good of a retirement gig as second string ESPN analyst. And it is low pressure, especially since I think he would upgrade the recruiting talent.

I would give my left arm to have a BC coach lose his shit in a presser and scream "YOU PLAY...TO WIN...THE GAME."

Is Dennis Green available by any chance?

Herm Edwards would be an A+ hire but I am really skeptical about this, could he really be a possibility? Does he have any desire to coach college football and at BC??? If so GDF needs to make this happen at all cost. He may be considered an "old" hire, but he has a young and energetic enough personality that I think he could really work wonders for BC.

On the other hand, Dennis Green would be BAD. I mean REALLY BAD maybe worse than Spaz. Green has a lot of experience yes, but he is an AWFUL HC. Furthermore, he is old and could not be reinvigorated to coach college again.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby bcnyceagle on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:08 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
On the other hand, Dennis Green would be BAD. I mean REALLY BAD maybe worse than Spaz. Green has a lot of experience yes, but he is an AWFUL HC. Furthermore, he is old and could not be reinvigorated to coach college again.

So, basically, you're saying he's a lock for the next HC?
bcnyceagle
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:09 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The more I think about this, the more I think Herm Edwards would be awesome. Can you imagine that hyperactive dude in the locker room? Can you imagine a kid not wanting to come play for him, given his enthusiasm and his NFL connections?

It's certainly as good of a retirement gig as second string ESPN analyst. And it is low pressure, especially since I think he would upgrade the recruiting talent.

I would give my left arm to have a BC coach lose his shit in a presser and scream "YOU PLAY...TO WIN...THE GAME."

Is Dennis Green available by any chance?

Herm Edwards would be an A+ hire but I am really skeptical about this, could he really be a possibility? Does he have any desire to coach college football and at BC??? If so GDF needs to make this happen at all cost. He may be considered an "old" hire, but he has a young and energetic enough personality that I think he could really work wonders for BC.

Okay, I will fill you in.

The Green thing is a joke.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eaglecaddy on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:30 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:I would take any of those guys over Spaz. As much as I like his personality he is a shit HC. To lose to UCF this badly is inexcusable in any year, but definitely in his third year. Not to mention he did not do anything impressive the last two years.

My #1 choice is Skip Holtz but there is an extremely low probability he would take the job unless we are willing to pay him around $4 million. I think he is pretty comfortable at USF. Addazio may be my #2. I also really like Taggart as he is young motivated, recruits well, and probably has the most upside. After Holtz, Addazio, and Taggart I am less certain (I am excluding the NFL options because I do not think any of those guys will be possibilities, even though I do really like a few of the guys on that list). I am convinced that there are not a whole lot of worse options than Spaz. I would happily take Brian White, Mangus, or Verducci. Oh yeah above all I would take Urban Meyer, but I have a hard time believing he will even give the BC job a thought.

At this point I do not even care if we win. If Spaz keeps losing GDF will be more likely to hire someone in his place, which will finally allow BC football to regain its footing. The future of our program benefits from a 2-10 year.

Wait, you like Spaz's personality? A guy who perpetually cries about how bad he has it at BC is the type of personality you like? I do not want any coach you suggest.
eaglecaddy
Campion Hall

Postby eagle216 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:57 am

I think Urban Meyer is more of a possibility than we think. He is young, and obviously loves to coach, but just was burnt out and risked health problems competing in the ACC. With our job, he can just be a coach. Get the right assistants, delegate more, and enjoy going to the local supermarket and have no one recognize you. He also would love to coach at a Catholic school.

The only question would be: how would he cope with actual student-athletes.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:58 am

Maybe we can grab Brian Kelly after the Irish fire him this season? One more loss in the next three games ought to do it.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:00 am

eagle216 {l Wrote}:I think Urban Meyer is more of a possibility than we think. He is young, and obviously loves to coach, but just was burnt out and risked health problems competing in the ACC. With our job, he can just be a coach. Get the right assistants, delegate more, and enjoy going to the local supermarket and have no one recognize you. He also would love to coach at a Catholic school.

He's not going anywhere that doesn't have that obnoxious THE in front of the school name...
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby tallsy on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:20 am

I think you need to add Garrick McGee to the list, because Flip wants a pro style offense. McGee turned down the Tulsa job and was a finalist at Uconn. Heck, why stop there. Isn't Petrino ready for a change of scenery?

Fears that we won't have candidates willing to take the job are unfounded. There are only so many BCS jobs. Ideally, I'd want a coach with some college experience, preferably with at least one stop at an academic school.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby janebc on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:31 am

tallsy {l Wrote}:I think you need to add Garrick McGee to the list, because Flip wants a pro style offense. McGee turned down the Tulsa job and was a finalist at Uconn. Heck, why stop there. Isn't Petrino ready for a change of scenery?

Fears that we won't have candidates willing to take the job are unfounded. There are only so many BCS jobs. Ideally, I'd want a coach with some college experience, preferably with at least one stop at an academic school.

The last thing BC should care about at this point is what "Flip wants"
janebc
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:36 am

tallsy {l Wrote}:I think you need to add Garrick McGee to the list, because Flip wants a pro style offense. McGee turned down the Tulsa job and was a finalist at Uconn. Heck, why stop there. Isn't Petrino ready for a change of scenery?

McGee is a good candidate who I should add to the list. But, he won't be a real candidate for the same reasons Sumlin, Edwards and Strong won't be on GDF's list.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:36 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Is Dennis Green available by any chance?

I believe he's too busy with his ass-crowning business to be lured to BC.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:41 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

McGee is a good candidate who I should add to the list. But, he won't be a real candidate for the same reasons Sumlin, Edwards and Strong won't be on GDF's list.

Subtle. :roll:
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:58 am

Hearing that JoPa could be available.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:36 am

What about the Navy head coach? If he can beat ND with that talent then he should have a field day at BC. After last nights game I :whiteflag :suicide
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:43 am

Bob Davie or bust.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:45 am

Did Schiano turn it down yet.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:58 am

eagle216 {l Wrote}:I think Urban Meyer is more of a possibility than we think. He is young, and obviously loves to coach, but just was burnt out and risked health problems competing in the ACC. With our job, he can just be a coach. Get the right assistants, delegate more, and enjoy going to the local supermarket and have no one recognize you. He also would love to coach at a Catholic school.

He would be awesome, if he actually wanted to take a step back but he is so driven I cant see him over working.

Ask an alum if they would foot the bill, you could probably get Barber on board if you canned GDF too.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby SJeagle09 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:18 am

I wish no one ever mentioned Herm Edwards, because he'd be awesome.
:pontif
SJeagle09
Cushing Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:19 am

HJS {l Wrote}:It is not enjoyable to watch Spaz destroy my alma mater's football program. And, while I am fully aware that GDF may drive this program into the ground, I have to at least pretend that the end of this nightmare is near. In the spirit of trying to do something productive, I am going to start a list of potential replacements. I mean for it to be somewhat realistic and a bit over inclusive.

If the colored-names want to tack this... feel free.

College
Steve Addazio - Current Temple Head Coach. Connecticut born and raised. Considered an OLine guru. Has a real chance to land this gig if he does well at Temple. Catholic.
Troy Calhoun - Current head coach at Air Force. Might be my top choice of all candidates. Proven successful at a school with tons of hurdles. Was also OC at Wake for a spell. Would be hard as hell to get him to leave his alma mater.
Dave Clawson - Young coach who Flip would love to be his puppet. Had success at Villanova, Fordham and Richmond. Was a miserable failure as Tenn OC (a job that GDF recommended him for that led to the shitcanning of friend Phil Fulmer). Has been pretty horrific as head coach of Bowling Green. I mention him only because if he had a good season would have to be considered a factor in any search. Catholic.
Phil Fulmer - Retired (but younger than Spaz). BFF of GDF. Never happen, but given his friendship and unemployment status, I figured it was worth mentioning.
Skip Holtz - Current USF Head Coach. Already shown the ability to beat ND (something Francisco Spazerelli could never do). Has enough success that this ain't some sorta Jay Paterno thing. Ties to New England and ACC recruiting grounds. Catholic.
Rob Ianello - Current Akron Head Coach. Was a top ND assistant (so familiar with the whole academic school thing). Was the best recruiter of NJ (taking the torch from Al Golden and passing it to Hafley). That said, he has been a miserable failure at Akron and would have to inverse his record to get a shot. Catholic.
K.C. Keeler - The Steve Donahue of College Football. Current legend at Delaware. Career small-time coach. Incredible success and longevity (9 years at Rowan, 10 at Delaware). Clearly not a job jumper. However, have to wonder if he could hire an FBS staff and whether he would leave his job with his alma mater.
Mike Leach - A superstar. Brilliant offensive mind. Quirky enough that he could totally vibe at a place like BC (ala Logan). Would likely mean the return of Bick Jr. The whole TT-thing (and subsequent lawsuit) obviously taints him. The fact that he wouldn't deal with the whole Coach Flip thing, makes him a non-starter. Mormon.
Bronco Mendenhall - I've always thought him to be an excellent coach. Quality program builder. Still quite young considering how long he has been at BYU. Has recruited well. Doubt he is going anywhere, but would be a nice fit for BC. Mormon.
Urban Meyer - Retired because the whole SEC-thing was killing him. After a year away, may miss coaching. Could find a happy medium at a low-pressure gig like BC (which to him could seem like ND-light). Catholic.
Chris Peterson - BSU head coach. Say what you want about BSU coaches sucking ass once they leave, but Peterson is a brilliant coach. He should be handed one of the elite schools in an elite conference. The problem with him is that he is a crazy person who believes in Scientology.
Rich Rodriguez - OK... DickRod won't likely happen. But... he was a freaking coaching genius before being chewed up and spit out by Michigan. I think he would be a great hire for a school like BC (don't need superstars for his system to be great). Catholic.
Charlie Strong - A star DC with Florida and ND. Finally getting a chance at Louisville (with mixed results).
Kevin Sumlin - Up-and-coming coach coming off a subpar year. Young, dynamic... Southern connections. Played LB at Purdue but cut his teeth as an offensive assistant.
Don Treadwell - Former BC assistant who was passed over during the "national" search. I've never really been a fan. He's gotten a little long in the tooth and is now finally been given a shot at the top spot at his alma mater (Miami of Ohio).
Jim Tressel - Another one of GDF's BFFs. Would never get the job, but given the connection to Gene and the slight possibility he would like to clear his name at a school known for being clean.
Kyle Whittingham - A legit top-notch head coach. An Urban Meyer Protege. Can't see him leaving Utah. Mormon.

NFL
Yeah, yeah... I know what Coach Flip said when he fired Jags... but there may be more of a true search if a change is made (and remember we have a Trustee who has connections in the League with Bob Kraft and there is also always the Mara family).
Pete Carmichael Jr. - Current New Orleans Saints OC. Won a Super Bowl. Rising star with the League. BC grad and son of former Coughlin assistant. Catholic.
Herm Edwards - Current ESPN NFL Commentator. He is getting a little long in the tooth (though a decade younger than Spaz) and I don't necessarily view him as a long term guy. That said, I've always thought his schtick would work wonders in college. Has tons of connections. Recruits would love his personality. Catholic.
Jeff Fisher - Current NFL commentator. former Titans head coach (would be a superstar head coach in college, but likely will get another HC in the League this year). No East Coast connections.
Eric Mangini - Current ESPN NFL commentator. Connecticut born and raised... Wesleyan grad. Spent time with the Pats and Belichick coaching tree. His relationship with Kraft (whether good or bad) would make or break his candidacy.
Josh McDaniels - Offensive Coordinator of the Rams. Former superstar coach who mentored under Saban and Belichick and rose at the ridiculous rate to become head coach of the Broncos. His relationship with Kraft (whether good or bad) would make or break his candidacy. Catholic (actually attended another Jesuit college).
Bill O'Brien - Current Patriots offensive coordinator. Spent 8 years at GT (RB coach, OC and Recruiting Coordinator). Brown grad. Dorchester native. Seems to have an excellent resume and supposedly likes the BC job. Have a concern that he is another Belichick protege who flops on his own. Catholic.
Mike Shula - Current Panthers QB coach. Would be an interesting option. Was the coach mainly responsible for the talent that Saban led to the national championship. Been a QB coach in the League since. Catholic.
Steve Spagnuolo - current head coach of the Rams, but don't know for how much longer. Part of the Coughlin coaching tree, born and raised in Mass, a fellow alum of GDF (Springfield College), been an assistant at UMass, Maine, UConn and Rutgres. Catholic
Tony Sparano - current head coach of the MIami Dolphins, but probably not past this season. From Parcells coaching tree. Offensive line guru. Connecticut born and raised with coaching stops at New Haven and BU. Catholic.
Mike Sullivan - Current QB coach with the Giants. USMA grad. Part of Coughlin coaching tree. Held assistant gigs at Army and Youngstown St. under Tressel. Catholic.
Ken Whisenhunt - current head coach of the Cardinals, but don't know for how much longer. He is an offensive guru. He had a cup of coffee at Vandy. But, no real connection to New England. Catholic.

It should be noted that GDF has passed on Brady Hoke, Chip Kelly, Brian Kelly, Al Golden, Mike London, Randy Edsall (twice) and John Harbaugh (among many others). So, there is little chance that he will make the right call this go-around. It should also be noted that with any firing, the next hire is usually the polar opposite. TOB to Jags to Spaz is a good example. As such, my guess is that the next guy will likely be younger and very animated.

Take another look at Clawson's start to the season. If :pickle had hired him 5 years ago BC would have been to at least 2 orange bowls. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby quillisswill on Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:22 am

Great list, and nearly any of these names would be an improvement over the travesty we have on the sidelines now.

One other name that may come up- Don Brown. He's proven he can win as a head coach, and he's done an incredible job so far this season with Yukon's defense. Mostly, though, he'd be a cheap date, and since our little greaseball AD will be paying severance to Spaz, someone like Brown will probably get some serious consideration. Let's just hope flip doesn't get the chance to make this decision.
quillisswill
n00b

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:35 am

SJeagle09 {l Wrote}:I wish no one ever mentioned Herm Edwards, because he'd be awesome.

I'm surprised (in a good way) that so many are behind the Herminator. I kinda thought folks would've panned me for the suggestion (that's why I explained why I liked him). Also surprised DickRod didn't solicit a viceral reaction
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:52 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:it'll never happen (any of it, by the way)

Agreed. If Kevin Rogers was the best we could do at OC, I can only imagine what crap of a head coach we would hire. We would probably bring in Bill Stewart.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium