Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:33 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
SJeagle09 {l Wrote}:I wish no one ever mentioned Herm Edwards, because he'd be awesome.

I'm surprised (in a good way) that so many are behind the Herminator. I kinda thought folks would've panned me for the suggestion (that's why I explained why I liked him). Also surprised DickRod didn't solicit a viceral reaction

Herm would do what a head coach should - be charismatic and excellent in the (a) locker room and (b) living room. He's a no-brainer.

I don't mind Rich Rod so much, but BC is never running the Veer, sorry.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle216 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:37 pm

You know what would be great about Herm. He would give his "what are you talkin about Willis" face when presented with the idea that any of our current clownshoes coaches should be retained.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:41 pm

Herm might actually decide he wants Rogers. The rest of the clowns would be gone.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:44 pm

You forgot FHCRD. :chewbanka
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby bcnyceagle on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:44 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Herm might actually decide he wants Rogers. The rest of the clowns would be gone.

Would like to see Sirmans stick around as well. Can we just make him HC for the rest of the season and skip this HCRD nonsense?
bcnyceagle
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:49 pm

I have no issue with Sirmans. They should make him the recruiting coordinator.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:30 pm

Herm would be great. I think the guy's a little bit annoyingly preachy, but that particular quality would probably be helpful. He would bring in monster recruiting classes.

EDIT: Also, what about Gruden, if he doesn't get the OSU job at the end of this season?
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:35 pm

Tommy Bowden
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby tallsy on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:27 pm

Sumlin has implied in interviews that he's not leaving unless it's to a school with a recruiting base. And as a larger point: as much as academics, the low quality of New England HS football, turns off some coaching candidates
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:31 pm

Based on ATL's last thread, why are we killing ourselves talking about this.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:34 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Based on ATL's last thread, why are we killing ourselves talking about this.

Mostly because as much as I enjoy his blog, ATL is usually wrong 9 times out of 10.

Sincerely,
HCRD
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Based on ATL's last thread, why are we killing ourselves talking about this.

Mostly because as much as I enjoy his blog, ATL is usually wrong 9 times out of 10.

Sincerely,
HCRD

Stop giving me hope. I am looking at he renaissance festival for bext Saturday.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:42 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Sincerely,
HCRD

ATL may get things wrong from time to time but this one has been a not well kept secret since the extension was given last December. Gene basically guaranteed Spaz up to 2013 as coach no matter what. Spaz does go 0-12 sure something might happen but the reality on this is he will be no worse than 4-8 and will be the head coach at BC for at least 1 more year if not 2 should he get us to 7-6 in 2012. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:50 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Sincerely,
HCRD

ATL may get things wrong from time to time but this one has been a not well kept secret since the extension was given last December. Gene basically guaranteed Spaz up to 2013 as coach no matter what. Spaz does go 0-12 sure something might happen but the reality on this is he will be no worse than 4-8 and will be the head coach at BC for at least 1 more year if not 2 should he get us to 7-6 in 2012. :ace

We will see. People underestimate Napoleon's desire to win and fear for his own legacy.

And ATL is wrong more often than just time to time. Just saying.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Sincerely,
HCRD

We will see. People underestimate Napoleon's desire to win and fear for his own legacy.

And ATL is wrong more often than just time to time. Just saying.

I'm hearing that GDF's desire to win has little to do with it. Apparently, Flip backed himself into a corner with Spaz. I personally find it mind-boggling that he would hitch his fate to Mr. Cookies-n-Naps, but it seems he has done just that. So... I think the point that ATL and Logi is making is that Flipper ain't in position to fire Spaz, because (if he does) he won't be in position to hire his replacement. As such, GDF will do everything possible to make sure that Frankie is still coaching in 2012.

That said, it is possible that: (a) GDF has the decision forced upon him or (b) realizes the folly of supporting Spaz and decides to make a move and work with the search committee.

N.B. - ATL is about the best source this board has and one of the few who post actual CONTENT. Because things like HCRD don't come to fruition, doesn't mean that they weren't considered.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:59 am

What about Mr. Excitement Chan Gailey, miracle worker of Orchard Park, NY? I think it took the Bills 4 games to put up 41 points last season.

Feel the excitement!!!!
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby weinerdog on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:13 am

It's a good list, a good starting point, but if GDF is as hitched to Spaz as is suggested, then it seems likely that they'd exit together, and the situation a coach would be entering is far different from the present reporting structure. In that case, a lot of the "would never put up with GDF" dismissals don't apply, and the job would be way more appealing to A-list coaches.

It's a pipedream, but I'd love to see Urban Meyer take it on. As was said, BC is a low-pressure gig. In the absence of GDF, a VERY low-pressure gig. And the guy can flat-out coach, obviously. That's BC's only shot to return to the pre-Spaz level within 3 years.

Pipedream, though. When's the last time BC made a splash with an established national name like that? Ever? As much as GDF has harped on loyalty and not using this job as a stepping stone, unknowns and up-and-coming stepping-stone guys are all the school seriously pursues, in football OR basketball. Guys like Addazio and Clawson (neither of whom interests me) fit that mold better. That building process will be slower, and the end product will have stairs instead of an elevator.
"...and, more importantly, me."
--Gene DeFilippo, January 7, 2009.
weinerdog
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:15 am

Addazio is intriguing but wasn't he a total disaster at Florida?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:16 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:What about Mr. Excitement Chan Gailey, miracle worker of Orchard Park, NY? I think it took the Bills 4 games to put up 41 points last season.

Feel the excitement!!!!

Shut up, jerk. Let me enjoy one stinking game for a change. As a Bills fan, I feel something...what's the opposite of "shame"?
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:28 am

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:What about Mr. Excitement Chan Gailey, miracle worker of Orchard Park, NY? I think it took the Bills 4 games to put up 41 points last season.

Feel the excitement!!!!

Shut up, jerk. Let me enjoy one stinking game for a change. As a Bills fan, I feel something...what's the opposite of "shame"?

Pretty much all my friends grew up Bills fans. I spent yesterday watching games with the Bills Backers organization in Fenway. I like you guys.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:58 am

great list HJS. A few thoughts:

1/ Lets stop witht he Urban Meyer nonsense. Wer make fun of other boards(ie, Uconn) when they post crazy coaching ideas, so lets be consistent here. If Urban leaks that he wants to get back in coaching, there will be a minimum of 15-20 schools who will break every rule and pay him 3x what BC would pay him. Not happeneing.

2. Any love for my man Cristobal at Dircetion Florida (FIU). young, energetic, and seems to recruit like crazy. though I imagine many of his recruits wouldnt get near BC. Has some ACC experience aform Miami as well.

3. I expect Skip holtz to parlay this season into a bigger job than BC.

4. Is Whipple a name that comes around again, or has the fact that he has interviewed at least twice preclude him.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby shockdoct on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:02 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

Feel the excitement!!!!

Pretty much all my friends grew up Bills fans. I spent yesterday watching games with the Bills Backers organization in Fenway. I like you guys.

I thoroughly enjoy watching games with Bills fans. They are always a positive bunch. A few years ago, I was at a watering hole in nyc enjoying another fine NFL sunday. Bills fans had their game on a tv in the corner and boy was it a real barn burner. TOB would have been proud. Every time I looked over I saw each team's punter out there booting the ball to the other team. Yet if you listened to all the noise the Bills fans were making, you would have thought it was a shoot-out.

All the other games finished early and there was the Browns/Bills game tied at 3-3 as the only game left from the 1:00 slate. The Bills fans proceeded to plead with the bartender to put it on the big screen behind the bar instead of the afternoon pre-game shows. The next thing you know everyone at the bar is watching Bills/Browns. As a result, I hadn't seen a happier bunch in a long time.

I don't recall the details, but somehow the Browns end up with the ball in the red zone due to a turnover in the waning minutes of the 4th Qtr. The Browns ended up getting a field goal to take a seemingly insurmountable lead of 6-3. But the Bills fans still had a tremendous amount of faith even with under a minute to go. The excitement in the bar started to build as they approached midfield with under a minute to go before a botched lateral ended the game.

After a few minutes of consoling each other on yet another loss, the bills fans were all smiles and ready for next week by the 4:15 game kick off. Great bunch.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:07 am

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:great list HJS. A few thoughts:

1/ Lets stop witht he Urban Meyer nonsense. Wer make fun of other boards(ie, Uconn) when they post crazy coaching ideas, so lets be consistent here. If Urban leaks that he wants to get back in coaching, there will be a minimum of 15-20 schools who will break every rule and pay him 3x what BC would pay him. Not happeneing.

2. Any love for my man Cristobal at Dircetion Florida (FIU). young, energetic, and seems to recruit like crazy. though I imagine many of his recruits wouldnt get near BC. Has some ACC experience aform Miami as well.

3. I expect Skip holtz to parlay this season into a bigger job than BC.

4. Is Whipple a name that comes around again, or has the fact that he has interviewed at least twice preclude him.

I agree that Urban Meyer won't happen. Also, I don't want a coach who takes this gig because he thinks he can half-ass it.

I thought about Cristobal, but I didn't put him on the list as the academic thing (or lack there of at FIU) would be a huge negative for any search committee. Also, wasn't he the coach when his players went wilding on The U a year or two ago???

As for Whipple... can't go on him now. He has been unemployed for the 5 years since we last checked him out. Furthermore, he couldn't land the freaking Yukon job!
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby tallsy on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:16 am

I like Cristobal too, but I think, like Sumlin, he's talked about the "importance of local talent" and would be loathe to go to a place without a recruiting base.

This is BC's fundamental issue: any college coach knows how important a local pipeline is, in case you miss on national talent. Any NFL coach has no idea how important recruiting is until they actually have to do it.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:51 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

Feel the excitement!!!!

I thoroughly enjoy watching games with Bills fans. They are always a positive bunch. A few years ago, I was at a watering hole in nyc enjoying another fine NFL sunday. Bills fans had their game on a tv in the corner and boy was it a real barn burner. TOB would have been proud. Every time I looked over I saw each team's punter out there booting the ball to the other team. Yet if you listened to all the noise the Bills fans were making, you would have thought it was a shoot-out.

All the other games finished early and there was the Browns/Bills game tied at 3-3 as the only game left from the 1:00 slate. The Bills fans proceeded to plead with the bartender to put it on the big screen behind the bar instead of the afternoon pre-game shows. The next thing you know everyone at the bar is watching Bills/Browns. As a result, I hadn't seen a happier bunch in a long time.

I don't recall the details, but somehow the Browns end up with the ball in the red zone due to a turnover in the waning minutes of the 4th Qtr. The Browns ended up getting a field goal to take a seemingly insurmountable lead of 6-3. But the Bills fans still had a tremendous amount of faith even with under a minute to go. The excitement in the bar started to build as they approached midfield with under a minute to go before a botched lateral ended the game.

After a few minutes of consoling each other on yet another loss, the bills fans were all smiles and ready for next week by the 4:15 game kick off. Great bunch.

My friend runs the Boston chapter at Bleacher Bar. Last year when they were in the midst of going 0 and 8, they still had over 100 people there drinking their faces off for every game and screaming "Come on Fitzy!" with every snap. When they finally won on week 10, the place was a zoo. I had so many shots bought for me that I blacked out.

I like that they hang their hat on the franchise and use it as a not-so-blatant excuse to party and have fun every week. It helps morale. There's not a lot positive going on in Upstate NY. Ask IB about it sometime.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:00 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
I like that they hang their hat on the franchise and use it as a not-so-blatant excuse to party and have fun every week.

As BC fans we don't even have that to fall back on because the school doesn't allow fun.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:05 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
I like that they hang their hat on the franchise and use it as a not-so-blatant excuse to party and have fun every week.

As BC fans we don't even have that to fall back on because the school doesn't allow fun.

please elaborate. I've never heard that before.

First I want to hear your thoughts on people in yellow undershirts.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:22 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

please elaborate. I've never heard that before.

First I want to hear your thoughts on people in yellow undershirts.

5 or 6 weeks from now and the yellow undershirt will have gone the way of the dodo.

The students won't be wearing shirts any more? But it will be getting cold in 5 or 6 weeks.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:29 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
shockdoct {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

Feel the excitement!!!!

My friend runs the Boston chapter at Bleacher Bar. Last year when they were in the midst of going 0 and 8, they still had over 100 people there drinking their faces off for every game and screaming "Come on Fitzy!" with every snap. When they finally won on week 10, the place was a zoo. I had so many shots bought for me that I blacked out.

I like that they hang their hat on the franchise and use it as a not-so-blatant excuse to party and have fun every week. It helps morale. There's not a lot positive going on in Upstate NY. Ask IB about it sometime.

Buffalo is not upstate. Only NYC queefsparklers call Buffalo "upstate".

The rest of your comments are true.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:34 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
shockdoct {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

Feel the excitement!!!!

Buffalo is not upstate. Only NYC queefsparklers call Buffalo "upstate".

The rest of your comments are true.

I've lived in Boston for 11 plus years now and am thus conditioned to call where I'm from "Upstate." Because most people don't know what the Finger Lakes are. Or the Southern Tier. And god forbid you throw out a Central-Leatherstocking region reference.

So yeah, I know the difference between Buffalo and Ithaca, Rochester, Oneonta, Watertown and Jamestown. But as you must realize (for I feel I'm speaking to a fellow native), most of the ignorant jagoffs out there have no clue.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium