Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby Walsh601 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:36 pm

ACC
Boston College
NC State - Dave Doeren

B1G
Purdue

Pac-12
Cal
Colorado

SEC
Arkansas
Auburn
Kentucky - Mark Stoops
Tennessee

Mid-Majors
Idaho
Northern Illinois
Southern Miss
UTEP
Western Michigan
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:41 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
mloyko54 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:Doeren was a very solid candidate but I really like that we seem well positioned for either Roman or Diaco (in that order). I liked Doeren but I'd rather go with one of those two.

I like Doeren too, but I would rather other candidates as well. Golden is obviously the ultimate prize and I like Roman, Diace and I really like Kromer as well. If I had my choice between Hazell and Doeren, I think I would have gone with Hazell, because I think he will be the better recruiter and I liked some of the things he has instilled at Kent State.

I like Hazell a lot. Good recruiter.

I prefer Hazell, I think he's a better fit at BC
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:45 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
mloyko54 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:Doeren was a very solid candidate but I really like that we seem well positioned for either Roman or Diaco (in that order). I liked Doeren but I'd rather go with one of those two.

I like Doeren too, but I would rather other candidates as well. Golden is obviously the ultimate prize and I like Roman, Diace and I really like Kromer as well. If I had my choice between Hazell and Doeren, I think I would have gone with Hazell, because I think he will be the better recruiter and I liked some of the things he has instilled at Kent State.

Spaz disagrees. Definitely not a better fit.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:52 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
mloyko54 {l Wrote}:

I liked Doeren much better than Hazell (mainly based on his time with Wisco and his reputation as a hard worker). That's said, I do NOT like him better than Dykes and Hudspeth. I'd be disappointed if I was a State fan. I'd also be disappointed as they think that names like Gruden and Cowher.

Speaking of Gruden... am surprised that Jay isn't getting more play in these job openings.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:52 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
mloyko54 {l Wrote}:

Spaz would prefer Diaco or Narduzzi. But not Tattaglia. Tattaglia is a pimp. He never could have outfought Santino. But I didn't know until this day that it was Barzini all along.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby Mod34b on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:54 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
mloyko54 {l Wrote}:

I liked Doeren much better than Hazell (mainly based on his time with Wisco and his reputation as a hard worker). That's said, I do NOT like him better than Dykes and Hudspeth. I'd be disappointed if I was a State fan. I'd also be disappointed as they think that names like Gruden and Cowher.

Speaking of Gruden... am surprised that Jay isn't getting more play in these job openings.

$1,800,000 per year for Doeren. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1429 ... head-coach (linking to CBS)
Mod34b

Postby Shaddix on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:58 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
mloyko54 {l Wrote}:

Your aware that Hazell is known as a better recruiter, right? Also, Hazell was with Ohio State as assistant head coach under Tressell for 6 years. Not to mention that Hazell is from NJ (Doeren Kansas), and has pipelines already planted in Ohio and NJ. Offensive coaches have faired better for BC in the recent past anyways.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby footer20 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:11 pm

Classifying the candidates by how i would react if they were hired, this is my list:

Ecstatic
Al Golden - HC Miami(FL)

Happy
Greg Roman - OC San Fransisco 49ers
Butch Jones - HC Cincinnati
Bob Diaco - DC Notre Dame
Darrell Hazell - HC Kent State

Mehhhh
Pete Carmichael Jr - OC New Orleans Saints
Pat Narduzzi - DC Michigan State
Mike MacIntyre - HC San Jose State
Aaron Kromer - OL coach New Orleans Saints

If we hired anyone else I'd be genuinely upset and frustrated.
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:16 pm

footer20 {l Wrote}:Classifying the candidates by how i would react if they were hired, this is my list:

Ecstatic
Al Golden - HC Miami(FL)

Happy

Mehhhh

what about:

hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:18 pm

footer20 {l Wrote}:Classifying the candidates by how i would react if they were hired, this is my list:

Ecstatic
Al Golden - HC Miami(FL)

Happy

Mehhhh

I can get on board with this, but I dont want Butch Jones.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:25 pm

I'd move Hazell into the meh category. Otherwise I agree.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:29 pm

74 just PM'd me that Turner Gill is available.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby mloyko54 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Looking though this recent list of coaches salaries, found a couple things very interesting. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/11/19/ncaa-college-football-head-coaches-salary-database/1715543/

1) If BC can and will pay 2m for a coach they will get themselves someone very very good. Elite company.

2) The 2nd lowest paid HC in FBS football - Darrell Hazell - $300,000

3) I find if hard to believe if we truly wanted someone like Dykes, Hudspeth, McIntyre, Cristobal, even Calhoun and offered them close to that 2mil that any of them would turn it down. Would essentially be more than doubling their current salary.

4) To see some of the coaches that made substantially less than :spaz3 last season is criminal.
mloyko54
n00b

Postby hansen on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:42 pm

I think Hazell is the bet choice of the options I think are realistic.

I never considered golden or BOB as realistic.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby mloyko54 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:44 pm

Brad Bates ‏@BCBradBates
Head first in the search process & continue to be energized about our football future! Flew back in time to see Jerry tie the NCAA record.

Sounds like BB is flying around the country interviewing candidates, which makes it plausible he is interviewing NFL guys like Roman today/yesterday.
mloyko54
n00b

Postby Reverend Mike on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:45 pm

mloyko54 {l Wrote}:Brad Bates ‏@BCBradBates
Head first in the search process & continue to be energized about our football future! Flew back in time to see Jerry tie the NCAA record.

Sounds like BB is flying around the country interviewing candidates, which makes it plausible he is interviewing NFL guys like Roman today/yesterday.

I don't know whether BB knows what the hell he is doing, but he is definitely saying the right things.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:50 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
mloyko54 {l Wrote}:Brad Bates ‏@BCBradBates

I don't know whether BB knows what the hell he is doing, but he is definitely saying the right things.

Quick someone find out what flights just got into Logan I'm last 1-2 hours. Perhaps one from South Bend or San Fran (actually prob STL) ???
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby footer20 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:02 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

Ecstatic
Al Golden - HC Miami(FL)

Happy

Mehhhh

I can get on board with this, but I dont want Butch Jones.

Looks like he's headed to Purdue anyways which I think is very good for us considering Hazell and Diaco are still available
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby westcoastbernie on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:12 pm

They will make thier run at Al Golden and he will probably say no...that said look for the list to shorten to in the following order:
1.Diaco
2.Hazell; and
3. Narduzzi

in that order. Look for the coach to be announced by Friday.
westcoastbernie
Carney Hall

Postby bluefishskip on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:31 pm

Believe Delta is the official airline of BC Athletics.....unless he took a private jet, here are the flight arrivals on Delta at Logan, from 4:30-7:30

Delta 848 Minneapolis 4:36P At Gate 21
Delta 5888 New York-LGA 4:51P At Gate 3
Delta 3446 New York-JFK 5:17P At Gate 20
Delta 9069 SeattleTcoma 5:17P At Gate 18
Delta 5528 Raleigh/Drhm 5:26P At Gate 10
Delta 858 Minneapolis 6:39P At Gate 20
Delta 2300 Atlanta 7:17P At Gate 14
Delta 1594 New York-JFK 7:34P At Gate 13
Delta 5008 Detroit-DTW 7:34P At Gate 10
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:03 pm

bluefishskip {l Wrote}:Believe Delta is the official airline of BC Athletics.....unless he took a private jet, here are the flight arrivals on Delta at Logan, from 4:30-7:30

Delta 848 Minneapolis 4:36P At Gate 21
Delta 5888 New York-LGA 4:51P At Gate 3
Delta 3446 New York-JFK 5:17P At Gate 20
Delta 9069 SeattleTcoma 5:17P At Gate 18
Delta 5528 Raleigh/Drhm 5:26P At Gate 10
Delta 858 Minneapolis 6:39P At Gate 20
Delta 2300 Atlanta 7:17P At Gate 14
Delta 1594 New York-JFK 7:34P At Gate 13
Delta 5008 Detroit-DTW 7:34P At Gate 10

Based on that here are the interviews:

Delta 848 Minneapolis --> Minnesota Gophers Offensive Coordinator Matt LImegrower
Delta 5888 New York-LGA ->Fordham Head Coach Joe Moorhead
Delta 3446 New York-JFK -> Army Defensive Backs Coach Tony Coaxum
Delta 9069 SeattleTcoma-> UW Defensive Coordinator Justin Wilcox
Delta 5528 Raleigh/Drhm-> Dana Bible
Delta 858 Minneapolis -> North Dakota Associate Head Coach MIke Mannausau
Delta 2300 Atlanta -> Atlanta Falcons Offensive Coordinator Dirk Koetter
Delta 1594 New York-JFK -> Rutgers TE Coach Darnell Dinkins
Delta 5008 Detroit-DTW -> MIchigan Offensive Line Coach Darrell Funk

Or this could just be list of people whose names I find amusing.
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:12 pm

I'm surprised that people actually think Hazell is a better choice. Either that, or they are just rationalizing shit because Doeren is gone. Both guys built shit as they are winning with predecessor's players. DD is 7 years younger (41) and has much more impressive resume (coordinator at Wisco vs. a career position coach who was a never a coordinator). While some seem to think that Hazell is a sick recruiter, he wasn't the best even the best one at OSU (Luke Fickell). DD on the other hand was the recruiting coordinator at both Kansas and Wisco. Whatever... DD is gone. Regardless, I still think there are better names out there than BOTH MAC coaches (Golden, Calhoun, Roman, Diaco, Hudspeth, Dykes).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby jboston19 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:19 pm

Raliegh Durham? Must be Steve Logan returning!
jboston19
n00b

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:30 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I'm surprised that people actually think Hazell is a better choice. Either that, or they are just rationalizing shit because Doeren is gone. Both guys built shit as they are winning with predecessor's players. DD is 7 years younger (41) and has much more impressive resume (coordinator at Wisco vs. a career position coach who was a never a coordinator). While some seem to think that Hazell is a sick recruiter, he wasn't the best even the best one at OSU (Luke Fickell). DD on the other hand was the recruiting coordinator at both Kansas and Wisco. Whatever... DD is gone. Regardless, I still think there are better names out there than BOTH MAC coaches (Golden, Calhoun, Roman, Diaco, Hudspeth, Dykes).

Calhoun dykes and hudspeth are only candidates on your posts as far as I can tell
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:35 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:http://campuscommuter.blogs.goupstate.com/17048/new-hampshires-head-coach-candidate-for-boston-college/
Ugh... why is it the more names that get mentioned in the press associated with this search, the less impressive they are. Wonder if being left outside the 64 has anything to do with it?

First, there is no magical "64". Whatever number it ends at is the number this conference alignment ends at. As for wether or not BC is out of it, I think you are way ahead of yourself on this one. THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT THERE IS NOT A TON OF STUFF THAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN. Just that it is far from anywhere near true the BC will be left out of whatever number of teams end up in whatever number of super conferences there ends up being.

I don't see how BC fits in any of these Super Conferences. We got nothing in common with the large State universities of the B10. We have zero in common with the shit schools of the B12 and SEC. I honestly think we have more in common with the P12 schools than the rest.

Nonetheless, this shit is all going down NOW and we are absolutely at our weakest point in our history (on the field/court). Will the Big 4 keep the Big East-heavy ACC around? Maybe. But, we won't have much access and will be treated much like the NBE has been in the BCS. Even if the Big 4 eventually go to 20 and the B10 adds us, Cuse and Pitt... we are talking a decade of Rutgers-like limbo before that happens.

This is a perfect storm for us... we absolutely suck at a time of conference realignment. Makes it impossible for us to be attractive to another conference and makes it all the much harder for us to hire a top coach.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:36 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I'm surprised that people actually think Hazell is a better choice. Either that, or they are just rationalizing shit because Doeren is gone. Both guys built shit as they are winning with predecessor's players. DD is 7 years younger (41) and has much more impressive resume (coordinator at Wisco vs. a career position coach who was a never a coordinator). While some seem to think that Hazell is a sick recruiter, he wasn't the best even the best one at OSU (Luke Fickell). DD on the other hand was the recruiting coordinator at both Kansas and Wisco. Whatever... DD is gone. Regardless, I still think there are better names out there than BOTH MAC coaches (Golden, Calhoun, Roman, Diaco, Hudspeth, Dykes).

Calhoun dykes and hudspeth are only candidates on your posts as far as I can tell

Plus if Hazell got hired and Doeren was still available, Hazell would be the better candidate and Doeren would be worse. You know, just to HJS things up.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:37 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

They're candidates for other schools. So, them not being on BC's list is on BB.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:54 pm

Hasn't Maryland shown us that the suck factor doesn't really factor into the expansion equation? Ultimately, I feel that one of the superferences will decide that the Boston(to a lesser extent New England) market is too big to ignore. FSU, Clemson, Virginia, NC, GT, Miami, Syracuse and BC might add about 100 million or more TVs to the B1G. VT and NC state would probably be SEC bound. That's how I think it ends up.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby mloyko54 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:11 pm

l[/quote]
Plus if Hazell got hired and Doeren was still available, Hazell would be the better candidate and Doeren would be worse. You know, just to HJS things up.[/quote]

I honestly don't think Hazell is even that high on the list. It might just be me, but I get the feeling BB is shooting higher than the MAC coaches and he would know, he has spent the last ten years in the conference so he has a better understanding of all those coaches than anyone.
mloyko54
n00b

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:15 pm

Doeren was a better fit at BC than Hazell. Lembo is better than both of them. I really liked Doeren and think he would have worked his ass off like Coughlin but there are plenty of good guys out there. I am not upset about this. If anything I feel sorry for Doeren. NC State is the Bermuda Triangle of coaching careers and that is before Debbie Yow took over. An NC State head coach has not been hired for another head coaching job since Lou Holtz in the 1970s.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium