Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby MattTheEagle on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:28 pm

Something tells me that the decision has just recently been made and now just awaiting an announcement which I anticipate will be coming within the next 24 hours. If so, this makes me very optimistic that it will be Diaco.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BCWest on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:28 pm

With Golden gone, if Kromer and Lembo are next in line, lets hope BC is wrapping up the Diaco deal now. With Wisco opening up, the competition is picking up.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby MrAwesomeII on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:30 pm

I'd love Golden, but Diaco is a really great choice. Hell, even Kromer would be a solid double. I think BC is on the verge of greatness!
MrAwesomeII
Carney Hall

Postby BCWest on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:31 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:Let me get this straight - Roman, Doeren, Hazell, and even some more long shot candidates (MacIntrye, Taggart, etc) never got calls and Golden "is not in the mix" suggesting that BC is not interested in him. And if we don't get Diaco, it's Aaron Kromer. Am I the only one bothered by this? I would prefer lower tier college guys than Kromer.

Golden opted out. Not Bc.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby bcaddict on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:32 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:With Golden gone, if Kromer and Lembo are next in line, lets hope BC is wrapping up the Diaco deal now. With Wisco opening up, the competition is picking up.

Agreed. Wisco is a great job with a lot of cash (and should be damn good situation next year), but I think we are too far along with Diaco at this point for UW to intervene (also because he wouldn't be their top candidate).
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby eagle216 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:32 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:Let me get this straight - Roman, Doeren, Hazell, and even some more long shot candidates (MacIntrye, Taggart, etc) never got calls and Golden "is not in the mix" suggesting that BC is not interested in him. And if we don't get Diaco, it's Aaron Kromer. Am I the only one bothered by this? I would prefer lower tier college guys than Kromer.

How is "not in the mix" equal to BC not being interested in Golden??? And 100% of what you are complaining about is simply a combination of facts gleamed exclusively from endless rumors, many of which may not be credible, and many of which may have been ultimately sourced from persons with a reason to lie (ie agents). Who the fuck knows who was interested, and who BC was interested in. The only known will be the man who sits at the mike next to BB. Nothing else will matter.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby eaglesmith on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:34 pm

Doeren has to be kicking himself. I imagine he would be among the first calls Wisconsin would've made to replace Bielema. Wisconsin probably offers comparable or more than NC State.
eaglesmith
McGuinn Hall

Postby hawaiirob on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:35 pm

Would you rather coach vs OSU, Mich, Neb, and your alma mater....or spend 3-5 years killing it in the ACC?
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:36 pm

bcaddict {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:With Golden gone, if Kromer and Lembo are next in line, lets hope BC is wrapping up the Diaco deal now. With Wisco opening up, the competition is picking up.

Agreed. Wisco is a great job with a lot of cash (and should be damn good situation next year), but I think we are too far along with Diaco at this point for UW to intervene (also because he wouldn't be their top candidate).

Wisco is a GREAT job. But, don't you think they can pretty much grab ANYONE they want? I'm thinking that Golden would be an incredibly good fit for them.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:36 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:Great source says Roman never interviewed, never got a call. This probably really is Diaco and then others. With Wisconsin opening up, we need Bates to wrap this up now.

If Westie is nervous, then I am nervous.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby tallsy on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:36 pm

eagle216 {l Wrote}:

How is "not in the mix" equal to BC not being interested in Golden??? And 100% of what you are complaining about is simply a combination of facts gleamed exclusively from endless rumors, many of which may not be credible, and many of which may have been ultimately sourced from persons with a reason to lie (ie agents). Who the fuck knows who was interested, and who BC was interested in. The only known will be the man who sits at the mike next to BB. Nothing else will matter.

I think we've learned over the past seven years that process matters a lot.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:37 pm

Wisconsin will hire Paul Chryst. I'm not worried about them luring Diaco.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BCWest on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:39 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Wisconsin will hire Paul Chryst. I'm not worried about them luring Diaco.

I agree with that. I just want this over. If Jones turns down CU, Wisco now open, there are other players out there.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:39 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:
eagle216 {l Wrote}:

But we don't get the whole process, we get pieces and opinions. Let's say BC did contact Roman or Carmichael, but then declined to interview them. Is is better, if you are Roman to say, through your agent that you were declined an interview or that you were never contacted? I don't know if that is what happened with that specific instance, but I am confident that happens.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:39 pm

Nick Englander @BeantownSports4
Wild rumors on EA about Al Golden now...this is insane #BCEagles #FireDSpaz

Don't know what said "wild rumors" are and its not showing up on twitter so who knows.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby eaglesmith on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:40 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Wisconsin will hire Paul Chryst. I'm not worried about them luring Diaco.

And Pitt will have their third head coach in three seasons? Yikes. Not sure Chryst can leave after one year, especially after what Todd Graham did to them. I wouldn't be surprised if Chryst had a hefty buyout clause due to that situation.
eaglesmith
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagletx on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:41 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:I'll tell you what bothers me about it: Kromer is a Miami Ohio guy.....that seems to be why he is in the mix at this point.

So with all the possible NFL assistants out there, some with BC ties, and some with recent meaningful college experience, like a Roman, how is it that Bates decided instead to consider an NFL position coach with no recent college experience, whose candidacy runs somewhat contrary to the criteria that Bates spelled out on numerous occasions, that is a guy with proven (head) coaching (and presumable college) experience other than his connection via Miami???? Does being the interim head at NO after their fiasco give him the HC experience that Bates advertised? Maybe....but it would be an off the charts choice, and yes, I think it would hurt the perception of the program and the AD, and fan interest in the football program in the short run.

Personally, I think the recruiting responsibilities of the hire is right up their in importance when you are looking at the chasm that BC is in....pulling a relative "no name" with no recent college experience from the NFL ranks is a huge gamble at a place like BC in our current depressed situation. So I gotta' question why this guy qualifies as a good choice when viewed in relation to the other names mentioned. In the college world of living rooms (i.e. of recruiting), the name Golden or Diaco certainly has more cache than the name Kromer.

Tom Coughlin didn't. Nor did Jags. People are literally just throwing shit at the wall right now.

Edit: Recent college coaching experience, not BC connection. I don't think the BC connection should be that big of a deal breaker.

That's beside the point and frankly not relevant, as Coughlin was here only three years, Jags was here two, and their recruiting, quite frankly, didn't have a huge impact on their success...I'm not saying that an NFL guy couldn't succeed eventually. But if the criteria that BB established up front was that we will look at anyone and everyone, college or pro, position coach or HC, recent college experience or not, then the world is his playground. But he didn't. At least not publicly. I'm not trying to say that Kromer will be a failure if he becomes HC here. But his candidacy is a surprise, it appears contrary to Bates' own stated objectives in the search process, and undoubtedly was a result, not forged of BFF relations, but more likely Kromer's agent letting Bates know he was interested, I assume. But then the Miami connection may have come into play, as I don't otherwise see what distinguishes Kromer over the many other mentioned NFL (or college) types that have been kicked around.

I think Golden or Diaco, or even one or two of the other MAC coaches would be in a better position in the BC scenario to do what needs to be done quickly, that is recruit.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:41 pm

SI reporting Malzahn to Auburn

ACC
Boston College
NC State - Dave Doeren ($1.8m)

Big East
USF

B1G
Purdue
Wisconsin

Pac-12
Cal
Colorado

SEC
Arkansas - Bret Bielema
Auburn - Gus Malzahn
Kentucky - Mark Stoops ($2.2m)
Tennessee

Mid-Majors
Arkansas St.
Idaho - Paul Petrino
Northern Illinois - Rod Carey
Southern Miss
UTEP
Western Michigan
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:41 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:Nick Englander @BeantownSports4

Don't know what said "wild rumors" are and its not showing up on twitter so who knows.

I trust the Twitter machine more than EA. Says a lot.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:42 pm

A poster is saying that Golden met with Bates today. The post was made at 1:55. West posted at 3:14 that Golden's agent says he is not a candidate. The initial poster then said he heard the same.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby shockdoct on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:42 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

But what about a twitter machine reporting from EA?
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby bcaddict on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:42 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
bcaddict {l Wrote}:

Wisco is a GREAT job. But, don't you think they can pretty much grab ANYONE they want? I'm thinking that Golden would be an incredibly good fit for them.

Doeren is definitely kicking himself. Wisconsin is a far, far better gig.

Golden would be a great fit, but I can't see Alvarez stealing Donna Shalalalalala's head coach, so that probably won't happen.

Chryst will be the most talked about name, but he won't be the only one.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:42 pm

eaglesmith {l Wrote}:

And Pitt will have their third head coach in three seasons? Yikes. Not sure Chryst can leave after one year, especially after what Todd Graham did to them. I wouldn't be surprised if Chryst had a hefty buyout clause due to that situation.

Do those exist, in that direction?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:44 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

But what about a twitter machine reporting from EA?

As reliable as this guy:

DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle216 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:48 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:
eagle216 {l Wrote}:

No, we have learned that hiring shit coaches matters a lot. The problem with trying to analyze or judge process is that we never really know what the process actually is. Its like trying to judge a teams performance while never seeing them play, and by reading stats and box scores that are built on conjecture and rumor.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:02 pm

We are not losing Diaco to Wisconsin. Barry Alvarez is not going outside of his own coaching tree. NC State and Pitt should be worried.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby LawyersGunsnMoney on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:05 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:We are not losing Diaco to Wisconsin. Barry Alvarez is not going outside of his own coaching tree. NC State and Pitt should be worried.

Do you think Doereen would leave NC STate so quick?
LawyersGunsnMoney
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:08 pm

LawyersGunsnMoney {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:We are not losing Diaco to Wisconsin. Barry Alvarez is not going outside of his own coaching tree. NC State and Pitt should be worried.

Do you think Doereen would leave NC STate so quick?

Hell yes. He didn't care about NC State. He just wanted to move up.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:08 pm

Kromer is denying BC has contacted him (from 98.5 via an EA poster)

PROCESS!!
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:13 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Kromer is denying BC has contacted him (from 98.5 via an EA poster)

PROCESS!!

Like I said, other than Golden and Diaco, the rest is ALL bullshit started by a guy that works twice as hard, yet is still twice as wrong, as he was when he was gainfully employed by the Globe, and has been regurgitated by such fine media outlets like ESPN (which pretended he and EA were "sources") and the Chicago Tribune, which just flat out admitted that those were the sources.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium