Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:43 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:These are all the reasons I like Diaco. The only thing to hate is that he is another italian from North Jersey and I am a self hating guinea.

I think he will be a quality hire and that he has a long illustrious career here, he can be the anti-Frank Leahy, REVERSE THE CURSE.

I don't understand how anyone could be disappointed in BC hiring a first time head coach who is an Italian, life-long Defensive Coordinator from Jersey who played for a legendary Big Ten coach.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I agree. Based on the timing of everything, I get the impression that BB has made his decision. Since Diaco was in yesterday, you have to assume that its him (or that he was at least the finalist and BB was convinced yesterday that the other guy is better). I assume that Golden has been stringing BC along and BC has told him that they are moving on (possibly giving him a deadline to say yes or no). They will get the "no thanks" from Golden and then they will finalize the contract and make the announcement tomorrow. I assume the name will leak at some point tonight. All that said... you never know what will happen in contract negotiations. What if Golden refuses to put a buyout in his contract or if Diaco says that he'll have a buyout but with a carve-out for Iowa? Things could fall apart quickly. I... like I assume most on the board... would feel a lot more comfortable with everything if Roman was the 3rd option (instead of Lembo and Kromer).

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DrJackRyan on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:46 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:These are all the reasons I like Diaco. The only thing to hate is that he is another italian from North Jersey and I am a self hating guinea.

I think he will be a quality hire and that he has a long illustrious career here, he can be the anti-Frank Leahy, REVERSE THE CURSE.

I don't understand how anyone could be disappointed in BC hiring a first time head coach who is an Italian, life-long Defensive Coordinator from Jersey who played for a legendary Big Ten coach.

If only he had some experience in the Canadian Football League, he would be perfect.

When the moon hits
your eye
Lik a big
pizza pie
That's Diaco!
That's Diaco!

(Sung to "That's Amore").
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:48 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I kind of understand the Lembo hate, because his resume is pretty unspectacular, but why the Kromer hate? If you like or at least tolerate Sullivan or Carmichael, he's really not very far from those candidates at all.

PCJR is a BC alum... and Sullivan is a Coughlin disciple. I think those two things hold powerful influence over our fans (understandably so). I also don't like that the only reason Kromer is a candidate is his connection with Bates. If he didn't previously have a connection with BB (he's a Miami Ohio grad and former coach), would he even have gotten a courtesy interview??? I'm guessing no. After a decade plus of GDF nepotism, I think such an out-of-left-field hire would be viewed skeptically... at least be viewed as another Jags (which initially was a positive).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:49 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Glad to see that HJS accurately predicted that he would be disappointed with the hire.

I would defend (like I did Jags and still do) if it is announced that the next coach is Golden, Roman, Diaco, PCJR, Sullivan. Lembo and Kroemer would disappoint. I'd give them a chance, but I'd probably be skeptical.

Didn't you hate PCJR like two weeks ago?

You can see my preferences for coaches here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9896&start=1500

That was only one week ago. I'm talking about two weeks ago.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:49 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I kind of understand the Lembo hate, because his resume is pretty unspectacular, but why the Kromer hate? If you like or at least tolerate Sullivan or Carmichael, he's really not very far from those candidates at all.

I'm only using nospacepedia as a reference, but it looks like Kromer has never been anything more than a position coach (I refuse to acknowledge his 6 week stint as interim head coach earlier this year). I'm not ready to hand over the reigns to a guy who hasn't even spent a season as a coordinator.

I'm not as down on Lembo as the rest of you. He wouldn't make a splash like Golden or Diaco, but I see a consistent record of turning teams around on his resume. Ball State was 4-8 prior to his arrival in 2010, 9-3 this year including a road win over a ranked team. Remember what those felt like? Yeah, me neither.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:51 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

PCJR is a BC alum... and Sullivan is a Coughlin disciple. I think those two things hold powerful influence over our fans (understandably so). I also don't like that the only reason Kromer is a candidate is his connection with Bates. If he didn't previously have a connection with BB (he's a Miami Ohio grad and former coach), would he even have gotten a courtesy interview??? I'm guessing no. After a decade plus of GDF nepotism, I think such an out-of-left-field hire would be viewed skeptically... at least be viewed as another Jags (which initially was a positive).

So you are saying you would support Jim Turner for HC?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bcaddict on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:52 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
bcaddict {l Wrote}:This job has always been and will be for the rest of today, Al Golden's to turn down. Expect a big hint on what he's thinking when he goes on Feldman's show today. Given the fact that he's even going on the show suggests to me that he's not leaving Miami as he would be put in the uncomfortable position of either shooting down rumors of his departure/sidestepping the question (and then agreeing to leave that day) or talking about the future of the Miami program in glowing terms (and agreeing to leave that day). If you're leaving, why go on the show?

Given the likelihood that Golden turns this down, it's Diaco's. if Diaco didn't want this job, he wouldn't have come in for a second interview with Leo and Leahy yesterday. The public turn down doesn't have the same optics when coming from the Coordinator position as it does from the HC. He wants this job.

80% Diaco.
15% Golden.
5% third person

I agree. Based on the timing of everything, I get the impression that BB has made his decision. Since Diaco was in yesterday, you have to assume that its him (or that he was at least the finalist and BB was convinced yesterday that the other guy is better). I assume that Golden has been stringing BC along and BC has told him that they are moving on (possibly giving him a deadline to say yes or no). They will get the "no thanks" from Golden and then they will finalize the contract and make the announcement tomorrow. I assume the name will leak at some point tonight. All that said... you never know what will happen in contract negotiations. What if Golden refuses to put a buyout in his contract or if Diaco says that he'll have a buyout but with a carve-out for Iowa? Things could fall apart quickly. I... like I assume most on the board... would feel a lot more comfortable with everything if Roman was the 3rd option (instead of Lembo and Kromer).

I agree, but I'm not convinced that Roman isn't in the tier two group with Kromer/Lembo. I frankly don't think we get to any of those guys tho b/c if there were much doubt over Diaco's potential contract demands, Bates doesn't tell the football team that we have 24-48 hours before an announcement (unless all of tier 2 have gotten the Leo/Leahy treatment). I'd imagine the "Iowa possibility/clause" has already been discussed between Bates and Diaco--I have more faith in BC running these things than some other schools. That said, anything can happen and there could be a last minute change of heart.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:52 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:ATL's saying this morning he heard Golden, Diaco and an unknown third person are the final three.

HOGAN IS THE THIRD MAN!!!
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:53 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

I'm only using nospacepedia as a reference, but it looks like Kromer has never been anything more than a position coach (I refuse to acknowledge his 6 week stint as interim head coach earlier this year). I'm not ready to hand over the reigns to a guy who hasn't even spent a season as a coordinator.

I'm not as down on Lembo as the rest of you. He wouldn't make a splash like Golden or Diaco, but I see a consistent record of turning teams around on his resume. Ball State was 4-8 prior to his arrival in 2010, 9-3 this year including a road win over a ranked team. Remember what those felt like? Yeah, me neither.

I'd be more excited about Lembo if he wasn't ATL's father-in-law. I mean... really... his looks have a lot to do with people's perception of him. It means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme... but that combined with the fact that he has (a) never coached at a BCS program and (b) his teams have plateued (or gone down) at his previous stops... raised concerns.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:56 pm

Does it say anything (I really can't decide) that Kromer and not Carmichael was named interim? Was it because Carmichael had too many other important things to do, or because Kromer was a better CEO? I really have no idea.

Carmichael has college experience at La Tech and UNH and that's going back to the days of Huang and TRE transitiving in real time. Kromer was Butch Davis' OL coach for a year when the U was still a thing.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:58 pm

What is Golden making at Miami now? I searched for it but haven't been able to find a figure yet.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:58 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

So you are saying you would support Jim Turner for HC?

In all candor... if Jim Turner was an OC in the NFL for 4 or 5 years and won a Super Bowl during that time... I absolutely would be fine with him (though I would be pissed that the fools on EA would've been right about him).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:01 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:What is Golden making at Miami now? I searched for it but haven't been able to find a figure yet.

His initial contract there was rumored to be 5 years, $10 million. Then Miami extended him to keep him from leaving for Ped State. I don't know what the new terms are.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:01 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:What is Golden making at Miami now? I searched for it but haven't been able to find a figure yet.

I think his salary is something like $1.3 but his all-in figure is $2mm. He's going to be getting a raise to stick around The U. I also believe we have officially moved on from him.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bcaddict on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:02 pm

$1.75m
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:13 pm

McMurphyESPN: Boston College finalists: ND DC Bob Diaco, Ball St's Pete Lembo & Saints OL coach Aaron Kromer sources told @espn
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby shockdoct on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:13 pm

ESPN is claiming it is down to Diaco, Lembo, Kromer.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:14 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Does it say anything (I really can't decide) that Kromer and not Carmichael was named interim? Was it because Carmichael had too many other important things to do, or because Kromer was a better CEO? I really have no idea.

Carmichael has college experience at La Tech and UNH and that's going back to the days of Huang and TRE transitiving in real time. Kromer was Butch Davis' OL coach for a year when the U was still a thing.

Kromer wasn't at the U. He was at the other Miami. I would root for him, but I think he would be a bad choice for BC. Of all the NFL names mentioned, he is the least appealing. If Kromer is such a great choice, why didn't Bates hire him the three other times he was hiring football coaches at Kromer's Alma Mater -- Miami of Ohio?
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:16 pm

I will give the new coach a chance no matter what, but I would not be excited about Lembo or Kromer. I would be jacked up about Diaco.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:17 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:ESPN is claiming it is down to Diaco, Lembo, Kromer.

Well... that's disappointing (both that BB thinks Lembo and Kromer are better than the others who wanted the job and that Blauds was correct).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby shockdoct on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:17 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Kromer wasn't at the U. He was at the other Miami. I would root for him, but I think he would be a bad choice for BC. Of all the NFL names mentioned, he is the least appealing. If Kromer is such a great choice, why didn't Bates hire him the three other times he was hiring football coaches at Kromer's Alma Mater -- Miami of Ohio?

This really looks like a "favor" by BB to put Kromer in the final 3 of an already made decision.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:20 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:This really looks like a "favor" by BB to put Kromer in the final 3 of an already made decision.

Or it could be a "favor" to hire a guy that he likes personally... ala Jags. Its sad... but, after dealing with GDF... you have to understand that the fanbase would be more than a little skeptical about a NATIONAL search that resulted in the hiring of one the AD's buddies (who otherwise would never have been considered for the job).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:24 pm

Here's what I hope... by letting it be known who the finalists are... BB is conditioning the market. By that I mean, if we were to announce the finalists are Golden, Roman and Diaco, there would be debate over whether we chose the right one. By announcing Diaco, Kromer and Lembo... he right now has universal support for Bob Diaco.

However, since this apparently was all leaked by the agents of these coaches and not the school, I'm reading way too much into this and need to start preparing for Superfanshirts with AK-47s on them... or a contemplating them warm reception the students will give Lembo upon hearing that a fellow nerd was hired.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:31 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Carmichael has college experience at La Tech and UNH and that's going back to the days of Huang and TRE transitiving in real time. Kromer was Butch Davis' OL coach for a year when the U was still a thing.

Act 1 or Act 2 (which was three years later).

THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:31 pm

Joyce will be meeting with Bates tonight, we should have some more on the search if nothing is announced
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:32 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:However, since this apparently was all leaked by the agents of these coaches and not the school, I'm reading way too much into this and need to start preparing for Superfanshirts with AK-47s on them... or a contemplating them warm reception the students will give Lembo upon hearing that a fellow nerd was hired.

https://twitter.com/footballscoop/statu ... 5274541056
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:37 pm

I think it is pretty clear right now that the only thing that is pretty clear is that Golden was high on the wish list but is not leaving Miami and that Diaco is a heavy favorite for the job. Given that it is only being reported by two of the least reliable rumor mills in internet history (A Jersey Guy, ESPN [Larry Walker to the Sox anyone?]) I think the rest is all bullshit and would be shocked if Roman wasn't in final consideration.

All that said, Meterparel has been saying Diaco for 24 hours. While he is a shitty play-by-play guy, he is the BC shitty play-by-play guy, and he seems to be fairly certain.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:42 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:All that said, Meterparel has been saying Diaco for 24 hours. While he is a shitty play-by-play guy, he is the BC shitty play-by-play guy, and he seems to be fairly certain.

He is probably right, but he also announced the Army AD would be the next AD at BC.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MrAwesomeII on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:42 pm

Im hearing there is going to be a complete curveball thrown here, and its Steve Spagnuolo....
MrAwesomeII
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium