Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:11 pm

1. Notre Dame has improved dramatically under the Brian Kelly regime. How much of this do you attribute to Bob Diaco and his defense?

Eric Murtaugh: I attribute a ton of the improving over the past three years to Bob Diaco and his defense. You have to remember the season prior to Kelly & Diaco taking over the Irish defense was at an all-time low. Possibly the worst in school history. The players had been through multiple coordinators over 4 years. There was a grab-bag philosophy with players moving positions every offseason with each new system that was installed.

Three years later the defense has done a complete 180. And it's not like it took this long to improve the defense either. From the first game under Diaco the defense began tackling much better and stopping the run. They weren't quite the elite unit they've become in 2012 but you could see the vast improvement in fundamentals and in players knowing what they were supposed to do within the defensive system.

Now after 5 years of Charlie Weis teams that were all offense and no-defense, Notre Dame has finally built a team that revolves around the dominance of the defense and Bob Diaco deserves most of the credit for that.

2 . What can you tell us about the philosophy behind Diaco's "no crease" defense?

Eric Murtaugh: We covered the basics of Diaco's defense this preseason with a chapter devoted to it in our digital magazine. We made that chapter available to our readers so if you really want a more in-depth look at Diaco's philosophies you can read it here:

Here's the quick synopsis.

It's a 3-4 defense whose primary goal is to stop the run. The secondary goal is to keep everything in front of the defense. And lastly tighten up in the red zone and keep points off the scoreboard.

The defensive linemen's job is to eat blocks and let the linebackers fill gaps and make tackles. He wants 300 pound ends, and a big "War Daddy" nose tackle who can demand double teams. The nose guard is the key in a lot of ways the Irish have an enormous talent in Louis Nix who does this and makes everyone else's job easier.

The middle linebackers are the guys putting up the big tackling numbers as they read the defense and fly to the ball on running plays. One of the outside linebackers (called the Cat) typically plays with his hand on the ground up on the line. His main responsibility is to set the edge, but he's also a rush linebacker who occasionally drops into coverage. The other outside linebacker (called the Dog) has a role that is primarily based around covering tight ends and slot receivers.

The secondary plays a ton of Cover-2 soft zone that sacrifices a lot of underneath stuff in exchange for preventing big plays. If you check out the stats this year it's worked to perfection for Notre Dame. Some teams will dink and dunk down the field but they inevitably make a mistake and punt the ball or turn it over. Another aspect of the secondary is how much tackling is stressed. Diaco is always talking about size and he expects his corners and safeties to come up and make tackles at the line of scrimmage.

3. What are the strengths and weaknesses of his defense?

Eric Murtaugh: There are a lot of strengths to Diaco's defense when it's being executed properly, but you could say that about just every defense couldn't you?

I think the big strengths are what I mentioned above: Stopping the run and preventing big plays. When you put so much focus on that and you're able to do it you're going to win a lot of football games.

I think a weakness of the offense is that it's susceptible to a really smart and accurate quarterback. The scheme will give you a lot of underneath throws and in the past the Irish have been vulnerable to a lot of crossing patterns and little dump offs in the flat. There have been some games in the past (like the Oklahoma game this year) where the opponent is just easily throwing little 5 yard passes and moving down the field with ease.

I also think it's a scheme in which you really need top-notch talent to execute, to an extent. Diaco has that talent at his disposal now, but if the defensive line can't get pressure or eat blocks with just 4 players things can start to crumble from there. He doesn't like to blitz a lot and if the line isn't getting pressure they are giving the QB a lot of time to make some pretty easy throws.

Unfortunately, Notre Dame has been able to get a lot of pressure without blitzing. If you have the talent to do that it will take away a weakness of the Diaco defense.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Bunratty on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:14 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:reports coming out that indeed bates met with disco

We will never see 12 superior athletes on the defensive side .....

I agree. But can we hope for 11?
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:15 pm

Bunratty {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:reports coming out that indeed bates met with disco

We will never see 12 superior athletes on the defensive side .....

I agree. But can we hope for 11?

:D :laugh :lol:
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby footer20 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Tough to say that Diaco's defense would be successful immediately. We don't have that legit DT. It would b great if Kaleb comes back for another go. Montgomery could be the guy but I can't see him being the guy for another year or two. If Diaco comes here his first priority should be flipping Hurst and MacDonald. The defensive ends are also a problem. If Diaco wants them big I would assume that Edebali, And Borcich see the majority of the time as "run stoppers". Regardless of the scheme, our DLine is weak and will be a liability. Moving on to the LBs, Diaco's philosophy would work. We are known for our excellent linebackers and KPL, and Divitto could definitely play the outside positions. Divitto would be the cat and KPL the dog. Duggan must get bigger and we must find another linebacker to fill the middle. Maybe Steven Daniels can but he looked slow and out of shape. We'll have to wait and see if Joy, Strizak, or Wolford develop into quality players too. The DBack philosophy is what we've done for the past 10 years. ALJ needs to come back healthy and Simmons, Sylvia, and Rositano are decent enough tacklers. The big question mark is wether or not Asprilla plays. Personally I don't think he's good enough but Sylvia just isn't fast enough to play corner. We'll see how everything plays out but if Diaco comes it might be a few years until he can establish his personnel. He better be as good of a recruiter as people say he is.
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCWest on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:42 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
mloyko54 {l Wrote}:Schefter says many NFL coordinators are interested in becoming BC Head Coach..Lists - Kromer, PCMJ, Roman, Sullivan, Kevin Gilbride and Chris Palmer

What is it and Kevin Gilbride????? Enough already.

Gilbride is interested in BC. BC is not interested in him.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:43 pm

TGOSB posted that Tenn is looking at Golden and Jimbo. Amazes me that anyone would want Jimbo Fisher.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BCWest on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:48 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
mloyko54 {l Wrote}:Schefter says many NFL coordinators are interested in becoming BC Head Coach..Lists - Kromer, PCMJ, Roman, Sullivan, Kevin Gilbride and Chris Palmer

Outside of Diaco and guys who aren't interviewing who should be (Calhoun, Hudspeth, Dykes), the NFL guys are much better than the college candidates. I also wouldn't mind seeing guys like Jay Gruden and Mike McCoy mentioned. As for Gilbride and Palmer, they are both the same age as Spaz... which means that they can't get the job. We are talking major age discrimination case here at BC after what Spaz did to the program.

Underestimating who BC has researched vs who they ultimately interview.
Calhoun: Signing an extension with Air Force. Passed on several interested programs. Still may leave, but not for those who have called to date.
Hudspeth: Absolutely terrible fit for BC. Not even close. If you have talked with people about him, say Dan Mullen, and he told you the same thing, why call?
Dykes: Not as bad a fit as Hudspeth, but not even close. I am not a regional candidate person. I don't care where they come from. But Dykes has NOTHING in his background which is indicative of anything remotely resembling a BC. Actually just the opposite.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCWest on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:50 pm

footer20 {l Wrote}:Tough to say that Diaco's defense would be successful immediately. We don't have that legit DT. It would b great if Kaleb comes back for another go. Montgomery could be the guy but I can't see him being the guy for another year or two. If Diaco comes here his first priority should be flipping Hurst and MacDonald. The defensive ends are also a problem. If Diaco wants them big I would assume that Edebali, And Borcich see the majority of the time as "run stoppers". Regardless of the scheme, our DLine is weak and will be a liability. Moving on to the LBs, Diaco's philosophy would work. We are known for our excellent linebackers and KPL, and Divitto could definitely play the outside positions. Divitto would be the cat and KPL the dog. Duggan must get bigger and we must find another linebacker to fill the middle. Maybe Steven Daniels can but he looked slow and out of shape. We'll have to wait and see if Joy, Strizak, or Wolford develop into quality players too. The DBack philosophy is what we've done for the past 10 years. ALJ needs to come back healthy and Simmons, Sylvia, and Rositano are decent enough tacklers. The big question mark is wether or not Asprilla plays. Personally I don't think he's good enough but Sylvia just isn't fast enough to play corner. We'll see how everything plays out but if Diaco comes it might be a few years until he can establish his personnel. He better be as good of a recruiter as people say he is.

I like Diaco. But, BC's defense will be awful initially under almost anyone. The talent is simply subpar. BCs old defense was one that tried to hide it. So it is worse people think.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby bluefishskip on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:51 pm

What is the story behind Diaco and his supposedly being uncomfortable with the Press? I've heard things about him having personality issues.
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:56 pm

According to blauds and his new BB-must-hire-a-coach-yesterday agenda, Cal's AD has already met with Diaco, Hazell and Narduzzi
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:56 pm

bluefishskip {l Wrote}:What is the story behind Diaco and his supposedly being uncomfortable with the Press? I've heard things about him having personality issues.

According to some dickweed Holy Cross grad, no one cares about BC in Boston anyway.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:59 pm

Walsh601 {l Wrote}:According to blauds and his new BB-must-hire-a-coach-yesterday agenda, Cal's AD has already met with Diaco, Hazell and Narduzzi

BB has met I person with at least as many and has talked to many more. He just hasn't told the fat fuck what he's doing. I expect the Leahy interviews mid-week with a hire on Friday.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bluefishskip on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:01 pm

Haven't heard anything on Cal interviewing Narduzzi, but they interviewed Hazell today (per Brett McMurphy ESPN), and interviewed Sonny Dykes the other day.
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:03 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
bluefishskip {l Wrote}:What is the story behind Diaco and his supposedly being uncomfortable with the Press? I've heard things about him having personality issues.

According to some dickweed Holy Cross grad, no one cares about BC in Boston anyway.

You can YouTube any and all of our finalists as they all conduct their own press conferences. Judge for yourself.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:04 pm

Blauds is a MEGA-douche. I think he is slighting Bates to stick up for GDF & make it seem like he isnt doing anything & is being outmaneuvered, when he probably just isnt feeding the turd any info.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:20 pm

Ive heard this as well (actually on ATL's site when he interviewed BGS before the ND game). They cited a specific interview (one year vs Navy) as him coming off very awkward. From everything I was able to see on youtube, I personally think he comes off very well. Seems well spoken and intelligent. It seems that in re: to his access to the media, Kelly may have in fact cut him off because his interviews seem to stop after early games.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:39 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Walsh601 {l Wrote}:According to blauds and his new BB-must-hire-a-coach-yesterday agenda, Cal's AD has already met with Diaco, Hazell and Narduzzi

BB has met I person with at least as many and has talked to many more. He just hasn't told the fat fuck what he's doing. I expect the Leahy interviews mid-week with a hire on Friday.

This.

Blauds is just pissed that he's been cut off and now is exclusively relying on the nexus & the blogs
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:46 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

This.

Blauds is just pissed that he's been cut off and now is exclusively relying on the nexus & the blogs

He is a blog now, and low man on the totem pole.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Heard this evening that the unnamed California caller made a strong impression and has not been topped over the weekend. Timing may be important, though - supposedly Bates and the caller have different ideas of when the job might start. Still won't tell me who it is.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:54 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:Heard this evening that the unnamed California caller made a strong impression and has not been topped over the weekend. Timing may be important, though - supposedly Bates and the caller have different ideas of when the job might start. Still won't tell me who it is.

either hawaiirob or westcoastbernie.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:29 pm

Irish Illustrated ‏@NDatRivals
Brian Kelly, when asked about a report Bob Diaco will interview at Boston College, "it wouldn't be surprising to me."
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bluefishskip on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:40 pm

California Candidate must be Roman.........Bates would want him on the job immediately, 49ers/Roman wait till after NFL Playoffs?
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Postby footer20 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:46 pm

I'm under the impression that Greg Roman was the California interviewer an that Diaco has spent the weekend evaluating Diaco. Given the lack of buzz regarding everyone else (except for a few desperate NFL guys), it seems it might be down to these two, and I am perfectly fine with this.
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:53 pm

Don't be so sure... Oakland is also in California.
http://www.raiders.com/team/coaches/joh ... bbdabbde75
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:55 pm

Irish Illustrated ‏@NDatRivals
Brian Kelly, when asked about a report Bob Diaco will interview at Boston College, "Ha, those idiots could've had me.."
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:59 pm

bluefishskip {l Wrote}:California Candidate must be Roman.........Bates would want him on the job immediately, 49ers/Roman wait till after NFL Playoffs?

If this is true, and you think Roman is best, then wait for Roman. It's a credit to Roman that he doesn't want to jilt his current team as they reach the most critical point of the season. BC wound up doing that with Coughlin (by accident), and it worked out very well. Unless you think Jimmye Laycock would have been better...

You use Al Washington and a couple of others to target a few guys to boost your recruiting class, understanding that not even a full staff on Dec. 20 is going to salvage what Spaz and Siravo have wrought. Benefit from the positive publicity Roman generates during the 49ers playoff run, even if it goes through Super Bowl Sunday. Even if it lasts past Signing Day. Roman will make sure the S&C program is installed, he'll set the expectation that the players are working hard to prove themselves, and he'll commit himself "ever to excel" in a way we haven't seen. Then he sells that for next year's recruiting class--a class he'll have enough time to court.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:19 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If Roman and Diaco are interested, as it seems they are, the list should be 2.

Seconded

Thirded

Fourthded

Rex isn't getting fired

Even though the Jets suck serious balls?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:20 pm

I'm a huge fan of Greg Roman. However, there is zero buzz about him and this job. Now, there isn't much buzz about this job... PERIOD.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:30 pm

Paul Petrino was hired by Idaho. That's a he'll of a hire for a shit program.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:34 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I'm a huge fan of Greg Roman. However, there is zero buzz about him and this job. Now, there isn't much buzz about this job... PERIOD.

I'd rather have Diaco then Roman.

The only thing that worries me about Diaco is whether he can get a solid NT at BC for his system. In my mind,it's a big question mark.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium