Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby Fire Spaz on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:25 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:is our coaching postion less desireable today, then it was 48 hours ago, before Maryland left?

Yes.
Wikipedia {l Wrote}:Spaziani is known as a wordsmith often answering interview questions with unintelligible murmurs or seemingly invented words. He has been honored by his peers as the most underqualified coach ever assigned to a head coaching role at a Division 1 school
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCWest on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:32 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:is our coaching postion less desireable today, then it was 48 hours ago, before Maryland left?

Yes. No question. But is it significant? No candidates from a non Big 5 conference will care unless they think they will have other offers. All things being equal, if a guy gets a comparable offer, what is he going to do go Big Ten or ACC?
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby 31southst on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:36 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:

Yes. No question. But is it significant? No candidates from a non Big 5 conference will care unless they think they will have other offers. All things being equal, if a guy gets a comparable offer, what is he going to do go Big Ten or ACC?

Agreed and it seems like very few of our candidates would be in a position to be so picky. If we make a real run at Al Golden, he'd be one. Greg Roman also might have options. Beyond that, I think any of the realistic possibilities discussed would jump at an offer.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby Shaddix on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:52 am

Darryl Hazel 4 coach?
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby durkcal on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:55 pm

from the "dream" Blauds list, my ranking would be:

1) Doeren
2) Mullen
3) B O'Brien
4) Franklin
5) Diaco - I'd rank him higher, but I don't think he is ready

I would not want any of the rest. Hopefully the search will look at a lot of better candidates.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:50 pm

How about Ed Orgeron? A bit older than I'd like (51) and not a great gameday coach, but as good a recruiter as there is in college football. Obviously not a northeast guy, but has spent time at USC, Syracuse, and Miami and in the pros so wouldn't be a total fish out of water at BC. And he's known for building great defensive lines, which IMO is the first area we need to rebuild. Just a thought but an intriguing one(ellipses)
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:06 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:from the "dream" Blauds list, my ranking would be:

1) Doeren
2) Mullen
3) B O'Brien
4) Franklin

I would not want any of the rest. Hopefully the search will look at a lot of better candidates.

I don't want Diaco only because i think the 3-4 is fucktarded in college. it can only work at an SEC school or ND because they can get the rare NT that's big and fast. those guys don't grow on trees and are the key to the 3-4 working. he has done wonders at ND though ; i expect he will do big things at an SEC-type school in the future.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eaglesmith on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:11 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:How about Ed Orgeron? A bit older than I'd like (51) and not a great gameday coach, but as good a recruiter as there is in college football. Obviously not a northeast guy, but has spent time at USC, Syracuse, and Miami and in the pros so wouldn't be a total fish out of water at BC. And he's known for building great defensive lines, which IMO is the first area we need to rebuild. Just a thought but an intriguing one(ellipses)

Not unless we want massive NCAA violations. He's from Pete Carroll's staff. All of those guys had to know about the problems with Bush back then.
eaglesmith
McGuinn Hall

Postby eaglesmith on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:13 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

1) Doeren
2) Mullen
3) B O'Brien
4) Franklin

I don't want Diaco only because i think the 3-4 is fucktarded in college. it can only work at an SEC school or ND because they can get the rare NT that's big and fast. those guys don't grow on trees and are the key to the 3-4 working. he has done wonders at ND though ; i expect he will do big things at an SEC-type school in the future.

I think Doeren is more likely thank BOB, Mullen, or Golden. Other than Purdue, who is going to try to beat us out for him? The SEC schools are not going to hire a MAC coach, no matter how promising he looks.
eaglesmith
McGuinn Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:55 pm

eaglesmith {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:How about Ed Orgeron? A bit older than I'd like (51) and not a great gameday coach, but as good a recruiter as there is in college football. Obviously not a northeast guy, but has spent time at USC, Syracuse, and Miami and in the pros so wouldn't be a total fish out of water at BC. And he's known for building great defensive lines, which IMO is the first area we need to rebuild. Just a thought but an intriguing one(ellipses)

Not unless we want massive NCAA violations. He's from Pete Carroll's staff. All of those guys had to know about the problems with Bush back then.

Honestly at this point I don't care. NCAA sanctions won't take the celebratory alcohol out of my system, and would show the world that someone at BC at least gives a shit.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:33 pm

What's the worst they can do? We aren't going bowling for a for years anyway.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:00 pm

eaglesmith {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

1) Doeren
2) Mullen
3) B O'Brien
4) Franklin

I think Doeren is more likely thank BOB, Mullen, or Golden. Other than Purdue, who is going to try to beat us out for him? The SEC schools are not going to hire a MAC coach, no matter how promising he looks.

Either I'm blind....or Doeren has 0 history of northeast football. I'd be moderately surprised if he was hired. Bates seems like a pretty "safe" guy. He will probably hire someone with Northeast recruiting experience as well as prior D1 head coaching experience.

IMO Bates options will be in this order

1. Golden- kick the tires
2. O'Brien- kick the tires
3. Hazell- NJ guy, heavily praised, offensive coach
4. Clawson- NY guy, offensive coach
5. Carmichael Jr- BC guy, offensive (recruiting?)
6. Calhoun- Solid choice, ACC experience at Wake, offensive system would be a good fit a BC
7. Roman- NJ guy as well as a Stanford guy, not a secret what his offenses bring

PS. Don't sleep on Mike MacIntyre
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:18 pm

Picking a coach based on his Northeast ties is fucktarded. What was TOB's ties prior to being lifted off UVA's staff?

Bates knows this hire is crucial to his own success. The last thing the man can afford to do is make a compromised hire. I don't think anyone has a clue on what BB is or isn't. Simply no one has insight into who he might favor. I will just point out that all three of his previously hires were offensive coordinators. One was a super-young promotion from within. The last two were Black coaches lifted off of major programs.

For a soup-to-nuts rebuild (which is what this is), you need to hire someone with a vision, a plan to realize it and the determination to pull it off. Recruiting will necessarily have to be a huge part of the plan and execution. When you look at the successful head coaches who inherited a mess (like Coughlin, Schiano and Brian Kelly), they all had a very clear vision of what they wanted the program to be and an understanding on how to get there.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:22 pm

its nice to remember that we could have had kelly...
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby tallsy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:12 am

All things being equal (which they never are), I think I'd prefer a candidate who had Northeast OR academic restrictions at a stop along the way, but I don't think both are necessary. Generally speaking I'd be hesitant about someone who's had major talent within one gas tank of their campus every job they've had. Although, in fairness, I think a candidate like that would be hesitant about BC too. It's why I don't expect Dykes or Hudspeth (or Kingsbury) to even come for an interview.

I disagree though with the idea that Doeren will only get a look at Iowa. When reality sets in at some of these lesser SEC jobs or if there are a couple of surprise vacancies, his name will come up.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby kdurkin on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:47 am

Northeast ties as a constraint makes no sense. You need a successful leader. If the best future leader of our football program is from Saturn, he'd be smart enough to hire people to help him recruit in convenient places! Chip Kelly doesn't seem to have spent a professional minute outside the NE before 2007, yet he might just be the most successful college head coach in a very removed outpost.

btw, Jim Caldwell is probably the best idea for our future head coach. Look no further than what Jim Mora Jr has done at UCLA. JC had a .540 winning % vs JM's .470 in NFL (Saban is at .469). And only 6 years older than Mora Jr., and of course younger than Saban.

Caldwell has to be easier to get than Mullen, Franklin or BOB.
kdurkin
n00b

Postby Shaddix on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:45 am

Look, I didn't say I'd do it, if it were up to me...Kliff Kingsbury would be the next BC coach...but I understand why Brad Bates would make a safer choice. Having northeast roots does matter. I'm not really a football guy as much as basketball, but it's easier to create pipelines and continue pipelines.

Example: Al Skinner ruined a few AAU pipelines for BC, which Donahue came in and fixed because of he knew the coaches from Cornell (NY school)
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:47 am

kdurkin {l Wrote}:Northeast ties as a constraint makes no sense. You need a successful leader. If the best future leader of our football program is from Saturn, he'd be smart enough to hire people to help him recruit in convenient places! Chip Kelly doesn't seem to have spent a professional minute outside the NE before 2007, yet he might just be the most successful college head coach in a very removed outpost.

btw, Jim Caldwell is probably the best idea for our future head coach. Look no further than what Jim Mora Jr has done at UCLA. JC had a .540 winning % vs JM's .470 in NFL (Saban is at .469). And only 6 years older than Mora Jr., and of course younger than Saban.

PS that was a pretty bad example, Chip Kelly was originally hired as OC, which tied him to the program as well as the northwest. Also this doesn't apply because Oregon was already a powerhouse. BC isn't going to beat those big schools for recruits in Texas, California, Washington, etc. Oregon will.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:24 am

Don't we actually have to ensure Caldwell has a pulse before hiring him? If people gated Soaz's lack if energy and emotion I campus only imagine what they have to say about ole Jimmy Stoneface.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:13 am

kdurkin {l Wrote}:Northeast ties as a constraint makes no sense. You need a successful leader. If the best future leader of our football program is from Saturn, he'd be smart enough to hire people to help him recruit in convenient places! Chip Kelly doesn't seem to have spent a professional minute outside the NE before 2007, yet he might just be the most successful college head coach in a very removed outpost.

That's powerful stupid. Does he get to bring Peyton with him? Without Peyton Manning, his winning % is a lofty .125. And should we ignore the fact that he was the head coach at Wake for eight seasons and won 26 games?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:52 am

jim caldwell would be pretty much as bad as spaz.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:41 pm

As we finally embark on our long-awaited coaching search (and as I have spent over a year cultivating this list of candidate and frustratingly watched as quality candidates like Kevin Sumlin, Bill O'Brien and Paul Chryst were chosen by more proactive programs), I figured it would be a good time for me to go on record with the specific list of coaches I would have if I was the AD.

Here is my list, in order. Yes, ATLeagle, I know some would be a questionable "fit". Yes, merrymen, some of these names may use BC as a stepping stone and may leave for a better job in 3-5 years. Yes, BCWest, some of these names will be non-starters for Fr. Leahy due to dissimilar religious beliefs. But, this is MY list. And, I don't give a shit about fits... just wins. I feel that operating under the delusion that BC is some sort of uner-unique university (it's not) hinders us and results in us justifying failure. Nonetheless, you will note that the poorer fits are generally down the list. The thought is that as, you move down the list, I would be more willing to roll the dice with a great coach who is a poor cultural fit (rather than go with a great fit who might not be the best coach). I broke it up into 2 categories... reaches and targets. I also included a list of crap coaches who I have no interest in. Finally, there are some coaches who have been mentioned (MacIntyre, Campbell, Kingsbury, Bobo, Addazio) who I don't think will suck, but certainly think we can do much, much better.

REACHES: See what it will take knowing that it will be nearly impossible

Dan Mullen
Al Golden
Chris Petersen
Bronco Mendenhall
Kyle Whittingham
Charlie Strong
Troy Calhoun
Jason Garrett
Herm Edwards

TARGETS: Coaches ready to make the move to take over a BCS program

Bob Diaco
Greg Roman
Pete Carmichael Jr
Mark Hudspeth
Butch Jones
Dave Doeren
Mike Sullivan
Sonny Dykes
Gus Malzahn
Willie Taggart Jr
Darrell Hazell
Bobby Wilder
Mario Cristobal

MISTAKES: Names who will be mentioned but are non-starters for me

Dave Clawson
Mark Whipple
Skip Holtz
Jim Turner
Don Brown
Jason Swepson
Don Treadwell
Dave Brock
Sean Ryan
Ryan Day
Doug Martin
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby talon on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:45 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:We would constantly be hearing his name whenever a B10 job opens (which will hinder his recruiting).

That will only be an issue if Golden takes us out of the ACC basement.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:47 pm

any chance you can add where each candidate is currently coaching and in what capacity? Is Sean Ryan the former BC TE?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:49 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:As we finally embark on our long-awaited coaching search (and as I have spent over a year cultivating this list of candidate and frustratingly watched as quality candidates like Kevin Sumlin, Bill O'Brien and Paul Chryst were chosen by more proactive programs), I figured it would be a good time for me to go on record with the specific list of coaches I would have if I was the AD.

Here is my list, in order. Yes, ATLeagle, I know some would be a questionable "fit". Yes, merrymen, some of these names may use BC as a stepping stone and may leave for a better job in 3-5 years. Yes, BCWest, some of these names will be non-starters for Fr. Leahy due to dissimilar religious beliefs. But, this is MY list. And, I don't give a shit about fits... just wins. I feel that operating under the delusion that BC is some sort of uner-unique university (it's not) hinders us and results in us justifying failure. Nonetheless, you will note that the poorer fits are generally down the list. The thought is that as, you move down the list, I would be more willing to roll the dice with a great coach who is a poor cultural fit (rather than go with a great fit who might not be the best coach). I broke it up into 2 categories... reaches and targets. I also included a list of crap coaches who I have no interest in. Finally, there are some coaches who have been mentioned (MacIntyre, Campbell, Kingsbury, Bobo, Addazio) who I don't think will suck, but certainly think we can do much, much better.

REACHES: See what it will take knowing that it will be nearly impossible

Dan Mullen
Al Golden
Chris Petersen
Bronco Mendenhall
Kyle Whittingham
Charlie Strong
Troy Calhoun
Jason Garrett
Herm Edwards

TARGETS: Coaches ready to make the move to take over a BCS program

Bob Diaco
Greg Roman
Pete Carmichael Jr
Mark Hudspeth
Butch Jones
Dave Doeren
Mike Sullivan
Sonny Dykes
Gus Malzahn
Willie Taggart Jr
Darrell Hazell
Bobby Wilder
Mario Cristobal

MISTAKES: Names who will be mentioned but are non-starters for me

Dave Clawson
Mark Whipple
Skip Holtz
Jim Turner
Don Brown
Jason Swepson
Don Treadwell
Dave Brock
Sean Ryan
Ryan Day
Doug Martin

Good lists except for Herm Edwards. I think he would be a disaster. Might as well suggest Jim Caldwell. I hear he has a good winning percentage in the NFL.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby tallsy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:13 pm

I don't disagree with the names on the HJS's list, although I'd put more emphasis on HC experience. And if we're going failed NFL coach, I'd rather go with Spagnulo than Edwards. One thing that hasn't been discussed much and I wouldn't want any of them, but I suspect some retreads will be considered - Mike Shula, Mike Stoops, Karl Dorrell, etc .
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby mloyko54 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:49 pm

Bruce Feldman @BFeldmanCBS
A couple of names to watch for Boston College: Mich St DC Pat Narduzzi, 49ers OC Greg Roman & Cards asst John McNulty

Joe Schad @schadjoe
Have to imagine ND DC Bob Diaco gets long looks from Purdue, Boston College
mloyko54
n00b

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:16 pm

Dear Al,

KTHXBYEEE
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby tallsy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:25 pm

Twitter Machine rumor that MacIntyre is going to UK.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCdee on Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:51 pm

Someone on the Clemson boards posted:

Chesnut Hill - The newly vacated position of Head Coach at Boston College will be intensely evaluated. There are early reports that former Clemson head coach Tommy Bowden could be a leading candidate.
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium