Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby BCWest on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:53 pm

Greg Roman, OC at 49ers.
New Jersey native. Holy Family High School.
Went to Jesuit college (John Carroll).
Coached at Stanford, went to 49ers with Harbaugh.

The reason to look beyond BOB is there might be someone better. He has never been a Head Coach. There are lots of potential candidates.

It would be nice to see BC conduct a REAL search. BOB should be one of may who are reviewed, the list narrowed. Then interviewed. Then interviewed again.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCWest on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:55 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I don't think Sumlin would come here.

Sumlin has SEC / Big 12 type school feel to him. Don't see it.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCWest on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:58 pm

bcaddict {l Wrote}:Sumlin is not a BC type of coach and he's done little to suggest that he ever would want to be--so don't waste your breath, it's not happening. I'd almost put the likelihood below that of Leach (which is also not happening).

BO'B seems interesting. HIgh risk, high reward, but the type of coach I'd prefer. Stoops is much less likely, but he'd bring name recognition...and surely an interest in any SEC job that opened down the road (I'm fine w/ BC being a stepping stone to the NFL and a handful of college jobs--UT, UF, USC, OSU, Bama--but I'm not OK with our coach parlaying BC into a job at Tennessee or ND).

Chryst is awesome, but you'd have to pay him a shit-ton. Already getting over 400K w/ a $250K annuity. He turned down the UT OC position last year (interviewed for the HC jobs at Pitt and Minny) and will likely come in high demand as Wisco continues to run roughshod through the B1G this year. I'd expect to see some pretty high profile schools become interested in him...possibility.

I'd need more guidance on Calhoun's offensive plans before I supported his candidacy.

Addazio certainly deserves an interview this time around, Gene.

I'd also throw cash at Golden once this UM shit hits the fan.

BC would be lucky if Calhoun even considers the job.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:30 am

BCWest {l Wrote}:Greg Roman, OC at 49ers.

The reason to look beyond BOB is there might be someone better. He has never been a Head Coach. There are lots of potential candidates.

It would be nice to see BC conduct a REAL search. BOB should be one of may who are reviewed, the list narrowed. Then interviewed. Then interviewed again.

I was just going to mention him. I was trying to think of a few names more out of left field, that haven't yet been mentioned. Came up with:
Greg Roman
Ken Norton Jr.
Darrell Bevell
Bill Musgrave
Jim Mora Jr.
Cam Cameron
Curtis Modkins
Mike Nolan
Rob Chudzinski
Brian Schottenheimer
Tom Cable
Brent Venables
Kirby Smart
Dave Doeren
Mike Bobo
Greg Olson
Russ Grimm
Winston Moss
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCWest on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:07 pm

Link to an article about Greg Roman. Worth the read. http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_18826000

Also, heard from a former player and Stanford alum these comments:

"Very good recruiter especially for the Stanford type kid. Big part of the Stanford recruiting success."
"Offensive genius."
"Tough, hard worker."
"Smart."
"BC would be crazy to not have him on their short list."
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby bosa90 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:27 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:Link to an article about Greg Roman. Worth the read. http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_18826000

"Very good recruiter especially for the Stanford type kid. Big part of the Stanford recruiting success."
"Offensive genius."
"Tough, hard worker."
"Smart."

I like this guy. Would he come back east though??

:dildodog
bosa90
McGuinn Hall

Postby Bernard Lonergan on Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:25 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:Greg Roman, OC at 49ers.

I was just going to mention him. I was trying to think of a few names more out of left field, that haven't yet been mentioned. Came up with:
Greg Roman
Ken Norton Jr.
Darrell Bevell
Bill Musgrave
Jim Mora Jr.
Cam Cameron
Curtis Modkins
Mike Nolan
Rob Chudzinski
Brian Schottenheimer
Tom Cable
Brent Venables
Kirby Smart
Dave Doeren
Mike Bobo
Greg Olson
Russ Grimm
Winston Moss

Chudzinksi was screened (but not interviewed) prior to the Jags hire. The Panthers suck, but his offense is #3 in the NFL with a QB that many thought would be a project. Would be worth a look... Edit: He is also a product of a Jesuit HS.
Bernard Lonergan
Carney Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:53 pm

bosa90 {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:Link to an article about Greg Roman. Worth the read. http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_18826000

"Offensive genius."
"Tough, hard worker."
"Smart."

He might come back but he is not working for Gene.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BCWest on Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:17 pm

bosa90 {l Wrote}:

"Offensive genius."
"Tough, hard worker."
"Smart."

Because their are only 60ish BCS jobs (depends on the day, 67 last year) in the country. People would be pleasantly surprised at who is interested in the BC job.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby bosa90 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:29 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:
bosa90 {l Wrote}:

"Offensive genius."
"Tough, hard worker."
"Smart."

Because their are only 60ish BCS jobs (depends on the day, 67 last year) in the country. People would be pleasantly surprised at who is interested in the BC job.

I agree with this 100%. I think the self-loathers in the wawwa camp don't have a clue at how great of a gig this is and is perceived to be. Unfortunately, I also agree with Greenville that GDF makes BC less attractive to some (and possibly a non-starter for others).

bosa90
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:49 pm

bosa90 {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:
bosa90 {l Wrote}:

"Offensive genius."
"Tough, hard worker."
"Smart."

I agree with this 100%. I think the self-loathers in the wawwa camp don't have a clue at how great of a gig this is and is perceived to be. Unfortunately, I also agree with Greenville that GDF makes BC less attractive to some (and possibly a non-starter for others).

There will be plenty of people who want the job if it comes open. If Gene is neutered it will be that much more attractive.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby tallsy on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:43 pm

I think my top choices are: Pete Carmichael Jr., Paul Petrino, or Garrick McGee.

Edsall after Friedgen (and RichRod after Carr) shows that Fat Pope after Skinny Pope is too high risk. We need a coach who can utilize the current talent to the best of their abilities.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:39 pm

I feel like Mark Richt has been perennially on the hot seat since Moreno and Stafford left. If he got fired do you think he would come here? Played at Miami, coached at FSU.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:49 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:I feel like Mark Richt has been perennially on the hot seat since Moreno and Stafford left. If he got fired do you think he would come here? Played at Miami, coached at FSU.

No chance in Hell.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:52 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
BrightonEagle {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Mitch Connor {l Wrote}:Bill O'Brien is as close to a sure thing as you could get. New England guy, he's from Dorchester. Great coaching roots under Belichik. I've heard he'd love the job. I'm not sure why we're even looking at other coaches.

He should be a candidate, but his time as OC at Duke is the reason why we would need to interview others.

why? what did he do (or not do) at duke? also, can this guy recruit? what was his rep when he was still in college? is he an outgoing guy or is he more of a belichek jr.?

BOB was considered a great recruiter at Georgia Tech -- one of the best they ever had. He was OC for the final O'Leary year and the first Gailey year and did okay. He was OC at Duke a few years later and was absolute shit. They won one game in his time there. If he were to come to BC, I would hope he has an solid, experienced college playcaller ready to join him.

Beliceck's coaching tree (at least the New England one) has sucked donkey dick. But, I'm slightly intrigued by BOB's time at GT. In fact, I've always been a real big fan of Ted Roof. He sucked at Duke... but everyone sucks at Duke. It very well could be a Gene Chizik thing. I'd move BOB pretty high up the list if he was bringing Ted Roof with him as DC.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:37 am

Should I add Rex Ryan to the list?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby LawyersGunsnMoney on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:52 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Should I add Rex Ryan to the list?

No. Instead of "what kind of dog is that?" we would hear "what size shoe do you wear?"
LawyersGunsnMoney
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:15 pm

LawyersGunsnMoney {l Wrote}:

No. Instead of "what kind of dog is that?" we would hear "what size shoe do you wear?"

Well... the Personals section of the Phoenix sure would see a lot of traffic...
http://deadspin.com/5715741/this-may-or ... ish-videos
(make sure you click on the first screen grab in the "Update" section at the bottom of the page.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:17 pm

Any thoughts on Cincy's Butch Jones or Toledo's Tim Beckham?

Mario Cristobal plays on TUESDAY night (I thought the NBE had an exclusive for games on that night) against Arkansas State.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:28 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Any thoughts on Cincy's Butch Jones or Toledo's Tim Beckham?

Mario Cristobal plays on TUESDAY night (I thought the NBE had an exclusive for games on that night) against Arkansas State.

I like both of then, and I believe I mentioned Jones' name earlier in the thread. Both would be easy and reasonably inexpensive. However, I think we should be able to get someone who is more accomplished. Both could probably use more seasoning (compared to Cristobal...I'd say both are safer, but Cristobal probably has the highest upside if only because we know the least about him).
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:30 pm

Stoops is available
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:40 pm

I should rephrase my concern with Jones. He inherited two great teams. I want to see if he's legit or just riding masshole coattails, and we won't know that definitively for a couple of years.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:54 am

For those Florida fans that hated Addazio as OC, are you guys seeing an improvement this season with him gone? Seems like Charlie Weis is doing less with more (i.e. a healthy Chris Rainey).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:55 am

HJS {l Wrote}:For those Florida fans that hated Addazio as OC, are you guys seeing an improvement this season with him gone? Seems like Charlie Weis is doing less with more (i.e. a healthy Chris Rainey).

Having watched very little of UF this year, that's a little unfair given that they're on their third string QB.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:45 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:For those Florida fans that hated Addazio as OC, are you guys seeing an improvement this season with him gone? Seems like Charlie Weis is doing less with more (i.e. a healthy Chris Rainey).

Having watched very little of UF this year, that's a little unfair given that they're on their third string QB.

I'm not a big fan Addazio fan. I don't really trust his results for this year as he is playing Golden's players. I also think we've seen enough Eyetals in the athletic department for a while. That said, I seem to recall Addazio having a TON of personnel issues last year (Rainey suspended for 6 games, Demps injured... no clear heir apparent to Tebow with the Newton transfer). Just curious as UF complaints were my major strike against him and UF offense is sucking under Weis too.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bcnyceagle on Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:41 pm

Definitely not fair, they were good with Brantley (against admittedly lesser competition).
bcnyceagle
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:43 pm

Mitch Connor {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Mitch Connor {l Wrote}:Bill O'Brien is as close to a sure thing as you could get. New England guy, he's from Dorchester. Great coaching roots under Belichik. I've heard he'd love the job. I'm not sure why we're even looking at other coaches.

The Belichick coaching tree hasn't exactly produced great fruit...

I reject this talking point. Sure Weis and Groh blew and McDaniels, Crennel and Mangenius, but Saban(obviously) and Pat Hill are good and Ferentz has had his moments. Also Jim Schwartz may end up a good NFl HC.

Sore loser -definitely out of the Belichick coaching tree
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:48 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Mitch Connor {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

The Belichick coaching tree hasn't exactly produced great fruit...

I reject this talking point. Sure Weis and Groh blew and McDaniels, Crennel and Mangenius, but Saban(obviously) and Pat Hill are good and Ferentz has had his moments. Also Jim Schwartz may end up a good NFl HC.

Sore loser -definitely out of the Belichick coaching tree

You are a Jets fan, correct?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:37 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:You are a Jets fan, correct?

Harbaugh was wrong but Shwartz is the exact same type of coach. He looks like Ryan Day on speed on the sidelines, even yesterday when Harbaugh challenged a scoring play (which you can't do and results in a 15 yard penalty) he yells across the field, "know the fucking rules Jimmy".
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Nothing is likely to move me off my favorites of Sumlin and Calhoun. But, I was looking at the list to get an idea of who would be in that next tier... guys like BOB, Cristobal, Carmichael, etc.

After our miserable experience with Spaz, I think the ideal candidate would be someone who has precious head coaching experience. But, that doesn't necessarily mean you don't explore the top up-and-coming college assistant coaches (just like you don't deny every candidate who coaches in the NFL). I've always been a big fan of defensive coaches as a head coach as they usually have fire and aggressiveness (those, of course, who don't line their CBs 30 yards off the LOS). That said, there simply ain't no way BC is going to fire Spaz and replace him with another career defensive coordinator with no head coaching experience. As a result, I don't think someone like Mark Stoops will get any attention.

In looking at everything, I think the most likely candidates from the college assistant world is Jim McElwain and Paul Chryst. Both have potential. Both have pretty damn impressive resumes. Both come from programs we hope to emulate. However, both are not without their risks. For instance, Jim McElwain was a part of the worst offensive coaching staff in the history of the NFL. Paul Chryst was born, raised, went to college and has spent almost his entire career in Madison, Wisconsin. Moreover, one of the most challenging things for any assistant plucked from a top program is assembling a staff (as they will not be able to take any of their fellow coaches with them without giving them a HUGE step-up in title). So... I thought it would be interesting to look at the other stops these guys made to see where they may have made connections that could result in a BC staff.

Jim McElwain is in his 4th year with Saban at Bama. He previously spent 1 year as OC with Pat HIll (who I think is great and has a good coaching tree). Before that, he destroyed his entire career by being the QB coach for literally the worst NFL offense ever. 2006 was the year Al Davis re-hired Art Shell... who stupidly pulled Tom Walsh out of retirement to lead his offense. Walsh was running a goddamn bed and breakfast in Idaho before getting the call. Walsh was demoted midseason and John Shoop (current UNC OC) was given the reigns until everyone was canned at year's end. Other than Shoop and McElwain, none of the offensive coaches from the 2006 team ever coached again (Walsh, Fred Biletnikoff, Jackie Slater or Irv Eatman). Prior to that, McElwain was a protege of John L. Smith. He followed him from Louisville to Michigan State. He joined the shitty Raider staff likely because JLS's time at MSU was about to end. They missed a bowl game McElwain's last 2 seasons in East Lansing and JLS didn't survive when he missed a 3rd. An interesting note, McElwain's last season at MSU overlapped with everyone's favorite BC assistant... Ben Sirmans. McElwain has clearly been around many staffs and likely has connected with a number of good assistants. It should be noted that Pat Hill's time in Fresno seems to be coming to an end (and McElwain could have a number of those assistants available to him). That said, you'd have to assume that the assistants would most likely come from the John L Smith coaching tree (I'd suspect someone like Doug Nussmeier). It's unlikely that McElwain would be able to bring many (if any) coaches along with him from Bama. The assistants down there of note are Mike Groh, Jeff Stoutland, Bobby Williams and Sal Sunseri. On a side note, I think Bama's other coordinator (Kirby Smart) may turn out to be a superstar. He's only 35 now... and has never been North of Georgia... but, I expect him to be something like the head coach of UGA soon.

Paul Chryst has lived his entire life in Madison, Wisconsin. He was born and raised there... went to college there... and has coached there for all but 5 years. As a result, I think it is somewhat questionable if he'd leave for another gig (probably why he turned down Texas last Spring). Nonetheless, Chryst's resume currently reads very much like the one TOB had when he arrived. I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Nor do I think hiring another Wisconsin native is a no-go. I do, however, think it could be challenging for Chryst to round out a staff. The one unique opportunity may lie at Oregon State. The 5 years Chryst wasn't at Wisconsin, he was studying under one of the great college coaches... Mike Riley (spent 2 years with him with the Chargers and then 3 at OSU). Given the issues going on at Oregon State, it is possible that Mike Riley's reign is coming to an end. While doubtful, I guess there is a small chance for Chryst to pull a Logan-like hire with Riley. Regardless, there are probably a number of OSU assistants for which Chryst would likely have his pick. I really don't see Chryst pulling in anyone from the current Wisco staff unless he promises to give someone like Dave Huxtable the DC position.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium