Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:35 pm

Walsh601 {l Wrote}:After calling the BC job "the bottom of the ACC", blauds has started to drop names (some retreads and some from reading this board): Whipple, Tim Murphy, Dorean, Diaco.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=3417

While I often disagree with Blauds, I do agree with him on the issue of excessive vitriol. We all want Spaz fired and have certainly posted many fair criticisms, but calling him Coach Fuckface is not the Jerry York way.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:39 pm

I nominate Pedro. His chalupa of the week is way better that any game plan the current staff is coming up with.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:40 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Walsh601 {l Wrote}:After calling the BC job "the bottom of the ACC", blauds has started to drop names (some retreads and some from reading this board): Whipple, Tim Murphy, Dorean, Diaco.

While I often disagree with Blauds, I do agree with him on the issue of excessive vitriol. We all want Spaz fired and have certainly posted many fair criticisms, but calling him Coach Fuckface is not the Jerry York way.

The Jerry York way doesn't include not trying, destroying the program, failing to recruit and throwing players under the bus, either. Maybe if Spaz showed an inkling of Jerry York's class and competence, he would treated likewise. Instead, he's a piece of shit and I don't care if anyone likes that I said it.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:11 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Addazzio has entered firm no territory. Golden doesn't seem like a great option right about now.

I've liked Golden for a while and would take him in a heartbeat, but I simply do not think it would realistic (would be expensive and messy since Miami is a fellow ACC school). That said, I'm of the belief that Diaco isn't just a real candidate, but is looking like the odds-on favorite. I understand that BB has been in resume checking mode for a while and is impressed with everything he's heard about Diaco. Obviously, others will have a chance to beat him out, or the two may hate each other after an interview, or Diaco gets Iowa... but, I think we are getting to the point where we can start throwing odds on him getting the job... which I'd put at 30%.

Btw... I still think BC announcing Spaz's retirement/non-retention should happen in the next day or two. No inside info here... just think it is best to resolve the I obvious before Senior Day. Spaz can finish out the season and the whalepants can give him a golf clap next week for putting a rekindling of the Holy Cross series back on the table.

ATL did a ND preview with the guys from the blog at Blue Grey Sky. He addressed the Diaco as HC issue and the response seemed to be that he wouldn't be ready for a HC job. Mentioned that Kelly limits his exposure to the media because he has come off very awkward in interviews in the past. I went back and watched some stuff on YouTube and thought Diaco came off very well. Seems to be very smart and well spoken, and understands the idea of building a program and the steps you have to take year by year as you infuse a program with more talent.

With all that being said, if available the search should start and end with Golden.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:16 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Fuck you, fuck Coach Fuckface, and fuck that unemployed hack who needs to come here for content for his shitty blog.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:50 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Fuck you, fuck Coach Fuckface, and fuck that unemployed hack who needs to come here for content for his shitty blog.

I agree. Fuck Coach Fuckface and fuck Ajerseyfuckface too!
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

The Jerry York way doesn't include not trying, destroying the program, failing to recruit and throwing players under the bus, either. Maybe if Spaz showed an inkling of Jerry York's class and competence, he would treated likewise. Instead, he's a piece of shit and I don't care if anyone likes that I said it.

Nice Guy Frank is a total a-hole. Not enough bad things could be said about him. He has been basically throwing salt on the earth behind him as he started telling people he was simply waiting to be fired after gene was shown the door. He has literally shown no class from day 1. At least Dan Henning beat Notre Dame once. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:18 pm

blauds is full of it. It is most certainly the "BC way" to smear coaches and players when its convenient, using blauds himself and other mambers of the media. See: O'Brien, Skinner, Jags, Montel, etc. "Good guys" don't punch their OC in the face during halftime - just sayin'.
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:24 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Nice Guy Frank is a total a-hole. Not enough bad things could be said about him. He has been basically throwing salt on the earth behind him as he started telling people he was simply waiting to be fired after gene was shown the door. He has literally shown no class from day 1. At least Dan Henning beat Notre Dame once. :ace

Frank is a Dick. he bitched about not getting a job he was unqualified for and throws everyone under the bus. man up bitch
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:34 pm

I like how Blauds hasn't properly set up his Adsense account.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:40 pm

If BC interviews the likes of Jim Turner, Mark Whipple, Don Brown and Tim Murphy... then, BC is not the bottom of the ACC, they are the bottom of FBS.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:43 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

If BC interviews the likes of Jim Turner, Mark Whipple, Don Brown and Tim Murphy... then, BC is not the bottom of the ACC, they are the bottom of FBS.

The way its written, even Blauds is admitting this isn't based on anything more than him pulling names out of someplace. I doubt he's got any insight or ins anywhere at this point.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:21 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

The way its written, even Blauds is admitting this isn't based on anything more than him pulling names out of someplace. I doubt he's got any insight or ins anywhere at this point.

Just read the article. I love how he fucks up the Google Adsense.

He mentions how BC has operated under GDF and calls that fucking bastardization the "BC way". That was the DeFilippo way. I'm hearing early reports about BB and they all point to him not fucking around. I think its very possible that Spazoo will be flat out fired.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:43 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Just read the article. I love how he fucks up the Google Adsense.

He mentions how BC has operated under GDF and calls that fucking bastardization the "BC way". That was the DeFilippo way. I'm hearing early reports about BB and they all point to him not fucking around. I think its very possible that Spazoo will be flat out fired.

I think we should all take great comfort in the fact that blauds has literally gotten every part of this story wrong from pretending his pal frank is a "good guy" to his hope each week to finally have an I told you so moment when he kept stalling looking for something to throw in our faces as the moment nice guy frank turned the season around. Blauds has no clue what Bates is going to do. All he can do now is write up the excuses for his friend Frank. It was comical that he tossed in how frank has handled all of this. Luigi has cried from day one about how terrible his situation is to anyone who would listen and has never for a second accepted any responsibility for this mess. I thought Frank turned this entire thing around with better practices before the MD game? Pure comedy the crap blauds is writing at this point. :ace
Last edited by Logitano on Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:16 pm

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:I nominate Pedro. His chalupa of the week is way better that any game plan the current staff is coming up with.

Bulletproof argument. I graciously accept.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:53 pm

http://irish.nbcsports.com/2012/11/10/g ... n-college/
Is Bob Diaco auditioning for a job? Notre Dame’s defensive coordinator is starting to become a national commodity. And as the energetic, passionate leader of the resurgent Irish defense, Bob Diaco has started to find his name on some athletic directors’ short-list for upcoming vacancies.

Diaco is a guy that seems like a good fit for the Eagles if they decide to make a change at head coach and look to pluck a young assistant. He’s from the northeast, recruits well, and has learned from a few head coaches that know a thing or two about football.

While he’s still got to learn some of the finer touches that go along with being the face of a program, Diaco might be getting a closer look from Eagles athletic director Brad Bates, the man who was hired last month to take over Boston College sports.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:13 pm

Would he bring the 3-4 that so many football weird0s have been clamoring for?

Sarcasm aside, he has to be near the top of Bates' list
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:43 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Would he bring the 3-4 that so many football weird0s have been clamoring for?

We don't know how Bates is going to run his department, but Diaco will probably be at the top of every AD's list come January. I'd love it, but I don't see BC winning a bidding war against Tennessee, USC, and Arkansas, among others.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:47 pm

joemack13 {l Wrote}:I guess.. the challenge is recruiting those players when your team blows. And the young players that you mention had a roster full of upperclassmen playing next to them. It will be at least 3 years, in the absolute best case scenario, before we can even hope to be contending for something like an ACC championship.

good coach has us back to 6-6 and a bowl next season
average coach has us back to 6-6 and a bowl in 2 seasons
we'll be challenging for Atlantic division title in 2-3 years MAX
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:57 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

For the record, Coach Fuckface (TM hansen) should never be in the same sentence as Jerry York. Jerry York, the quintissential BC Guy, has absolutely nothing in common with that clown running the football team.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:08 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Would he bring the 3-4 that so many football weird0s have been clamoring for?

We don't know how Bates is going to run his department, but Diaco will probably be at the top of every AD's list come January. I'd love it, but I don't see BC winning a bidding war against Tennessee, USC, and Arkansas, among others.

USC???
As for Tennessee, Arkansas, Kentucky and possibly Auburn or NCS... Diaco is not a great fit. While I think he would be excellent at BC (just like I thought Golden would be), I think he is a terrible marriage for those SEC-ish programs (much like I think Golden is a fish outta water in MiamI).

You will see some combination of Hudspeth, Dykes, Malzahn, Petrino, Stong taking those open positions.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:13 am

I think we also need to consider the fact that there are going to be limits on what Bates is allowed to spend on a new coach and staff considering they'll also be paying Coach Dickhole until 5 years after he's dead. I think Bates will have the best intentions in this, but question one is whether Leahy and our oblivious and incompetent BOT will let him off the leash.

Consider me pessimistic about who we'll be able to bring in for the relative pittance Bates will be allowed to spend.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby 31southst on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:31 am

I just listened to a podcast where Bruce Feldman discussed some offseason coaching possibilities and thought I'd pass along the interesting points he made. He mentioned Pat Narduzzi again but this time said he "could have a shot" at BC, making him sound less likely than when he put his name out as a possibility over the summer (he sounded like more of a possibility for Cinci if Butch leaves). He also said that he heard BC "might want to go offense" for the HC (Greg Roman?). He later mentioned Diaco as an assistant to watch who might get an HC gig but didn't mention any schools in particular for him.

The one new name he put out as a possibility for both BC and Purdue that I hadn't seen mentioned is John McNulty of the Arizona Cardinals, previously of Rutgers. I took a quick look at his bio and I can't say I'd be particularly excited.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:06 am

31southst {l Wrote}:The one new name he put out as a possibility for both BC and Purdue that I hadn't seen mentioned is John McNulty of the Arizona Cardinals, previously of Rutgers. I took a quick look at his bio and I can't say I'd be particularly excited.

Shinskie does need a drinking buddy.

b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:12 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:Consider me pessimistic about who we'll be able to bring in for the relative pittance Bates will be allowed to spend.

Why does everyone keep saying that again? We pay a SPED over a million. We didn't hire him solely for cost savings. I don't think its outrageous to think we'd pay a fully functional human being between 1.5-2.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:17 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:Consider me pessimistic about who we'll be able to bring in for the relative pittance Bates will be allowed to spend.

Why does everyone keep saying that again? We pay a SPED over a million. We didn't hire him solely for cost savings. I don't think its outrageous to think we'd pay a fully functional human being between 1.5-2.

If anything, I'd feel good about the money we will offer solely based on the fact that IB is so sure that we will not offer a lot of money to the next coach.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:00 am

31southst {l Wrote}:I just listened to a podcast where Bruce Feldman discussed some offseason coaching possibilities and thought I'd pass along the interesting points he made. He mentioned Pat Narduzzi again but this time said he "could have a shot" at BC, making him sound less likely than when he put his name out as a possibility over the summer (he sounded like more of a possibility for Cinci if Butch leaves). He also said that he heard BC "might want to go offense" for the HC (Greg Roman?). He later mentioned Diaco as an assistant to watch who might get an HC gig but didn't mention any schools in particular for him.

The one new name he put out as a possibility for both BC and Purdue that I hadn't seen mentioned is John McNulty of the Arizona Cardinals, previously of Rutgers. I took a quick look at his bio and I can't say I'd be particularly excited.

Why would you hire the Arizona WR coach when you could hire the New Orleans OC?
Why would you hire Matt Campbell when you could hire Dave Doeren?
Why would you hire Pat Narduzzi when you could hire Bob Diaco?
This is where I come to with each new coach name... so often there is readily available a much better option who would likely kill for the job.

As for BC wanting to go for a head coach who has an offensive background... this is my fear. Each and everyone of BB's previous hires were immediately OCs before taking over. In surveying the list of potential candidates, there simply aren't many good ones from that side of the ball that would readily be considered "fits" at BC (thus eliminating Hudspeth, Malzahn, Dykes and Kliff "the Savior" Kingsbury). Assuming coaches like Calhoun, Mendenhall, Petersen and Whittingham are impossible to land... outside of top tier candidates Roman, Jones and PCJR, you are looking at our solid second tier names: Willie Taggart, Darrell Hazell, Mike Sullivan and Mario Cristobal. After that, you really drop down into the world of HIGH risk, moderate reward... Matt Campbell, Steve Addazio, Josh McDaniels, John McNulty, Sean Ryan, Mark Whipple and, of course, Dave Clawson.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:38 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Why would you hire the Arizona WR coach when you could hire the New Orleans OC? If he doesn't want to coach at BC.
Why would you hire Matt Campbell when you could hire Dave Doeren? If he doesn't want to coach at BC.
Why would you hire Pat Narduzzi when you could hire Bob Diaco? If he doesn't want to coach at BC.

I think that is the answer.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:42 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:I just listened to a podcast where Bruce Feldman discussed some offseason coaching possibilities and thought I'd pass along the interesting points he made. He mentioned Pat Narduzzi again but this time said he "could have a shot" at BC, making him sound less likely than when he put his name out as a possibility over the summer (he sounded like more of a possibility for Cinci if Butch leaves). He also said that he heard BC "might want to go offense" for the HC (Greg Roman?). He later mentioned Diaco as an assistant to watch who might get an HC gig but didn't mention any schools in particular for him.

Why would you hire the Arizona WR coach when you could hire the New Orleans OC?
Why would you hire Matt Campbell when you could hire Dave Doeren?
Why would you hire Pat Narduzzi when you could hire Bob Diaco?
This is where I come to with each new coach name... so often there is readily available a much better option who would likely kill for the job.

As for BC wanting to go for a head coach who has an offensive background... this is my fear. Each and everyone of BB's previous hires were immediately OCs before taking over. In surveying the list of potential candidates, there simply aren't many good ones from that side of the ball that would readily be considered "fits" at BC (thus eliminating Hudspeth, Malzahn, Dykes and Kliff "the Savior" Kingsbury). Assuming coaches like Calhoun, Mendenhall, Petersen and Whittingham are impossible to land... outside of top tier candidates Roman, Jones and PCJR, you are looking at our solid second tier names: Willie Taggart, Darrell Hazell, Mike Sullivan and Mario Cristobal. After that, you really drop down into the world of HIGH risk, moderate reward... Matt Campbell, Steve Addazio, Josh McDaniels, John McNulty, Sean Ryan, Mark Whipple and, of course, Dave Clawson.

I'd be terrified for the program if we hired Josh McDaniels and very nervous if we hired Matt Campbell but to call either moderate reward seems wrong. Either could be a major homerun (I doubt it) but could be based on no more than McDaniels background and Campbell's age. The others in your last category are all names that I would be somewhere from disgusted by the hire (addazio, wipple, clawson) to unimpressed (McNulty, Ryan).
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:50 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I'd be terrified for the program if we hired Josh McDaniels and very nervous if we hired Matt Campbell but to call either moderate reward seems wrong. Either could be a major homerun (I doubt it) but could be based on no more than McDaniels background and Campbell's age. The others in your last category are all names that I would be somewhere from disgusted by the hire (addazio, wipple, clawson) to unimpressed (McNulty, Ryan).

McDaniels isn't coming.

If we hire anyone from your disgusted list, it might be in attempt to cross the program
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

PreviousNext