I wish Tom O Brien never left.

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: I wish Tom O Brien never left.

Postby Bumpers on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:03 am

If TOBy were still our coach, we'd have lost to a sucky Wake Forest team today. Just sayin.

:bag :whiteflag :whiteflag :bag

:suicide
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby Bender on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:25 am

Do we all agree that if TOB never left the team would be better than it is today? I saw someone say that they wished Jags was still our coach, I think the real issue with this team is that Spaz is a slightly worse coach than TOB and he is coaching a team that should be led by an absentee senior class that Jags never bothered recruiting. If BC wants to pretend it's one of the big boys then they can go out and hire a coach for big bucks, but they'd rather be a good team that brags about its graduation rate, puts players in the NFL and then they run a PR campaign about how their academics standards are too high to compete.

TOB was the coach you want Sunday through Friday, Jags was the coach you wanted on Saturday. Spaz is TOB's disciple.
Bender
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:27 am

Bender {l Wrote}:Do we all agree that if TOB never left the team would be better than it is today?

No. Did you catch the Wake/NCSU score?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby janebc on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:37 am

Bender {l Wrote}:Do we all agree that if TOB never left the team would be better than it is today? I saw someone say that they wished Jags was still our coach, I think the real issue with this team is that Spaz is a slightly worse coach than TOB and he is coaching a team that should be led by an AD senior class that Jags never bothered recruiting. If BC wants to pretend it's one of the big boys then they can go out and hire a coach for big bucks, but they'd rather be a good team that brags about its graduation rate, puts players in the NFL and then they run a PR campaign about how their academics standards are too high to compete.

TOB was the coach you want Sunday through Friday, Jags was the coach you wanted on Saturday. Spaz is TOB's disciple.

Your point ignores the fact that BC has an AD, supported by an indifferent administration, who has sacrificed the football program to his insatiable ego.
janebc
McGuinn Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:39 am

A bunch of linemen recruits left the program over the past few years and they allowed this situation to develop, the guys who stepped into the starting lineup this year are duds and it will be a couple years before they know if the recent recruits are any better. They should have recruited a few JUCO OL the past couple years but they took a chance and lost the bet and there are going to be at least two dismal years ahead, and many more if they don't bring in a semi charismatic coach to turn things around before they become a Vanderbilt type laughing stock.

Wetzel is a JR and never got any serious playing time - even when the OL struggled last year (too), flashing red light that he wasn't going to be the "next Costanzo" and they don't have any plan "B" for the most important OL position. Cleary bombed out at LG last year so he gets promoted to starting RT because Goodman is still hurt and there's no plan "B" there either.

The talking heads still refer to the "big" BC OL but they're actually confusing slow for big, the BC line with Gallick and Spinney starting is actually kind of small by current standards. They should be saying the small, slow and inexperienced BC line has had problems run and pass blocking. If they want to get journalistic they can add that the BC line has struggled ever since Spaz hired a line coach with almost no experience coaching OL.
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:30 pm

by Eaglekeeper on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:18 pm

TOB loved BC, he hated GDF. TOB was at the Frozen 4 last year, he is a good friend of JY.

1. Not correct. TOB used the BC job from day 1 as way to get the UVA job. He never had any love for BC and in fact, would not recruit VA for fear that it might hurt his chances for the UVA job.
B. TOB hated GDF more than any of us. I did not learn this until after he left. Many of the things he did that we criticized him for, he did to spite GDF.
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:47 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

TOB loved BC, he hated GDF. TOB was at the Frozen 4 last year, he is a good friend of JY.

1. Not correct. TOB used the BC job from day 1 as way to get the UVA job. He never had any love for BC and in fact, would not recruit VA for fear that it might hurt his chances for the UVA job.
B. TOB hated GDF more than any of us. I did not learn this until after he left. Many of the things he did that we criticized him for, he did to spite GDF.

Are you saying he played Porter over Ryan, punted from the other team's 25, rigidly brought in a new qb the first series of every second quarter, played not to lose and was generally a pussy just to spite GDF?
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:50 pm

Was he spiting GDF when he ran off Russell Wilson for that stiff Glennon? How about when he fucked over Ryan Glasper to secure that coveted 9th win before he bailed for NCSU?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Where did the sudden love affair for :Toby come from?
Am I so drunk that I landed at The Island of Misft Posters and didn't realize it?
Yikes, this board revisionist history is troubling.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:57 pm

It's just corners.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:24 am

TOB loved UVA so much he went back to be an assistant under London after NC State.

While TOB and Daz are very different, they share the bond that they both are so stubborn that they will never break through their respective ceilings and will both be frustrated with the unrealistic and ungrateful BC fans.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:51 am

Again at least Daz doesn't hate BC like the Marine Quartermaster
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BostonCollege1 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:50 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

How could you not know that TOB hated the greasy one?
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:32 am

I miss :toby . At this point, I most certainly wish he had never left. My feelings for the marine sharp shooter is very.... (sigh) passive-aggressive.

Toby beat all the teams in 2006 that Jags lost to in 2007 with the same players, all one year younger. There was slight improvement over 8 wins a season by the end of his tenure at BC. By the time the mid 2000s were upon us, Toby was hitting 9 and even 10 wins a season (if you include the Toby "Bowlshit" winning streak.) In 2003 they had 2 players on the entire team worth mentioning (one defensive back from RI who was probably the only guy who could tackle 5-star athletes, and a sturdy tailback who almost saved us as a sophomore when William Green had to smoke a joint) and they still won 8 and beat VPI in Blacksburg. 2004 was a very good season, 2005 & 2006 were excellent seasons (I remember a win vs VPI 22-3 and a "dancing" Hokie.) Remember taking the safety to win and beat F$U in Tallahasee? Is there anyone here who is going to foolishly say that Toby couldn't have AT LEAST gotten the 2007 team into that exact same "Bowlshit" game against Michigan State in December of 2007 and beat their ass? In that sense (and that sense alone) Jags accomplished nothing more than Toby ever did. Toby's recruiting was consistent and excellent (far-FAR better than what we have now.) And Toby owned Notre Dame, OWNED THEM! We all HATED Toby NOT because he was a bad coach. He was a very good coach, dare I say an excellent coach. IMHO, he was the 3rd best HC in BC football history. But we did hate him (and I did too.) And why?

• Half the members of EO (myself included) were in college the years the #2 HC in BC history was coaching, and we compare instinctively expect similar results all our lives
  • He had no filter with the media. He bitched and moaned saying how hard it was to recruit at BC because he had to travel so far to find acceptable players (what a lazy ass)
  • He denigrated his own employer, saying that there was some artificial ceiling of wins that was the maximum that ANYONE could ever achieve at BC thus hurting the PRIDE of everyone at EO
  • The annual WTF loss (including the game of which we do not speak)
  • Miami owned him (0-for-forever)
  • He liked to play with the grass before a game, a little embarrassing coach
  • PRIDE: benching the best tailback that anyone has ever recruited at BC because he just had to smoke a joint, benching for a game against the eventual National Champion no less
  • Not knowing the rules and going for 1 point in the third OT vs Miami
  • And his deplorable player evaluations in always starting the wrong QB which may have indirectly led to so many annual WTF losses

The above bullet points are the reasons why we all hate the man that many of us now want back. We remember all the bad stuff, and not too much of the good stuff. That is just human nature.

:toby had a way of doing things that many of us just didn't agree with but made perfect sense to :toby . Almost every single frosh gets a redshirt (William Green and I think Damien Woody the notable exceptions.) No one is above being benched for breaking his rules. And his offensive game plan was pretty consistent one year to the next, regardless of the personnel. We saw these things as weaknesses, qualities of an inferior coach who could never think outside the box. What we didn't understand then (that I understand now) is that these little behaviors were a quality that Toby used in seeing the big picture, trying to develop a program that wins at LEAST 8 (consistently) and can bully the crap out of the teams they are supposed to bully. We had that then. We don't have that anymore.
Last edited by innocentbystander on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:39 am

you really are fucking delusional.

i'm not reading all that because the first paragraph alone made my eyes bleed. but i have one question... if tobias was so awesomesauce and the greatest recruiter and evaluator of talent, why did he continue to start porter over matt ryan? you have pointed out ad nauseum that tobias found and created matt ryan but you're forgetting that really all he did was bury matt on the bench.

if you think tobias really would have elevated matt to the levels that logan rasied him matt's senior year, i will put you on foe and never read another one of your posts again.

of all the retarded things you ever said, the above is the retardedest
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:41 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:you really are fucking delusional.

i'm not reading all that because the first paragraph alone made my eyes bleed. but i have one question... if tobias was so awesomesauce and the greatest recruiter and evaluator of talent, why did he continue to start porter over matt ryan? you have pointed out ad nauseum that tobias found and created matt ryan but you're forgetting that really all he did was bury matt on the bench.

if you think tobias really would have elevated matt to the levels that logan rasied him matt's senior year, i will put you on foe and never read another one of your posts again.

I answered all of this in the above post. I will not answer it again. Take the time and read it. And read it S-L-O-W-L-Y.

Patience tre. Have some patience. Please.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:45 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}: Is there anyone here who is going to foolishly say that Toby couldn't have AT LEAST gotten the 2007 team into that exact same "Bowlshit" game against Michigan State in December of 2007 and beat their ass?

florp (PING)
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:48 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}: Is there anyone here who is going to foolishly say that Toby couldn't have AT LEAST gotten the 2007 team into that exact same "Bowlshit" game against Michigan State in December of 2007 and beat their ass?

florp (PING)

I'm sorry AC, I must have missed the part of meeting where someone explained how the Champs Bowl wasn't just another, ordinary, Bowlshit bowl, just like all the other NON New Years Eve and New Years Day bowls that BC attended....
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:56 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

I answered all of this in the above post. I will not answer it again. Take the time and read it. And read it S-L-O-W-L-Y.

no you didn't - unless you are saying matt ryan was redshirted until he was a RS Junior

the time has come - upon this day, nospace receives the bozo filter. god have mercy on his hole
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:00 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

no you didn't - unless you are saying matt ryan was redshirted until he was a RS Junior

I covered this in the last bullet point in Toby's inept player evaluations. Matt still started every single meaningful game his Junior year (even with a cast on his broken foot) and he started half of them his sophomore year when Toby got with the program

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:the time has come - upon this day, nospace receives the bozo filter. god have mercy on his hole

(sigh) :shrug oh well, I tried
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:04 am

Tom O'Brien never won 10 games at BC. No space is fucking retarded.*

*Apologies to mentally disabled people, they get a bad rap here.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:06 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Tom O'Brien never won 10 games at BC. No space is fucking retarded.*

in 2006, the team won 10 games (bowl win included.) Are you going to sit there and say just because Spaz coached the bowl game over Navy it doesn't count? You don't think Toby was going to beat Navy?

Now who is the retard.... counselor?
Last edited by innocentbystander on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:08 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Tom O'Brien never won 10 games at BC. No space is fucking retarded.*

in 2006, the team won 10 games (bowl win included.) Are you going to sit there and say just because Spaz coached the bowl game over Navy it doesn't count?

The team won 10 games. Tom O'Brien was the head coach at NCSU for the 10th.

You, toastmaster.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:10 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

in 2006, the team won 10 games (bowl win included.) Are you going to sit there and say just because Spaz coached the bowl game over Navy it doesn't count?

You, toastmaster.

Will you stop being a stubborn baby for just once in your life? Please... grow up.

innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:10 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}: You don't think Toby was going to beat Navy?

Just saw this edit.

Hypothetically, I think BC wins the ACC in 2006 if Logan and Jags are coaching. Wow, that is really easy, I get why you do it!
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:10 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

florp (PING)

I'm sorry AC, I must have missed the part of meeting where someone explained how the Champs Bowl wasn't just another, ordinary, Bowlshit bowl, just like all the other NON New Years Eve and New Years Day bowls that BC attended....

Any bowl outside of the Orange, Sugar, Rose, and Fiesta is what you term "Bowlshit". You are correct in saying that BC did not make one of the big games. However, that is not evidence that...you know what? Fuck it.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:11 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You, toastmaster.

Will you stop being a stubborn baby for just once in your life? Please... grow up.

This is an awesome post.

The whole reason this board exists is because the people here do not agree with your revisionist version of events.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:12 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Just saw this edit.

Hypothetically, I think BC wins the ACC in 2006 if Logan and Jags are coaching. Wow, that is really easy, I get why you do it!

We were talking about :toby

All I did, was say everything about the man that drove us all crazy. Don't go crazy on me because of your anger towards Toby. I didn't coach the team. I am just painfully aware of all the pluses and minuses of Toby.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:13 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Just saw this edit.

We were talking about :toby

All I did, was say everything about the man that drove us all crazy. Don't go crazy on me because of your anger towards Toby. I didn't coach the team. I am just painfully aware of all the pluses and minuses of Toby.

You missed a lot of minuses.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:16 am

"How's your hip?" he asked.

"It's coming along," Glasper replied.

"You'd better hurry your ass up," O'Brien said. "Because you only have eight games left in your college career."

The coach could have forgotten. Once the season starts, coaches are busy and distracted and often lose sight of details that don't pertain to next week's game. Maybe the coach needed to be reminded of the details. So the player reminded him.

"I'm redshirting," Glasper said.

"No, you've been cleared by the doctor to play," O'Brien said. "You're choosing not to play."

Glasper was shocked into silence. But O'Brien continued.

"I hold the keys to what you do," the coach said. "We don't have to grant you a fifth year. Besides, I can't count on you."
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium