I wish Tom O Brien never left.

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: I wish Tom O Brien never left.

Postby Iggle on Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:38 pm

I wasn't watching college football at all when TOB was the BC coach, so can someone tell me how his first 4 years felt at the time compared to Daz? on paper the whole thing seems like a wash. The winning percentages for the two are comparable for the first 4 years, but TOB has the highest number of wins in 1 season in his 4th with 8, so I can imagine feeling like the team is on the upswing vs. Daz quickly getting the team respectable and then losing a ton of close games year 3 and getting waxed repeatedly against good teams in year 4.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:18 pm

Iggle {l Wrote}:I wasn't watching college football at all when TOB was the BC coach, so can someone tell me how his first 4 years felt at the time compared to Daz? on paper the whole thing seems like a wash. The winning percentages for the two are comparable for the first 4 years, but TOB has the highest number of wins in 1 season in his 4th with 8, so I can imagine feeling like the team is on the upswing vs. Daz quickly getting the team respectable and then losing a ton of close games year 3 and getting waxed repeatedly against good teams in year 4.

It was almost the inverse. Year 1 and Year 2 were rough. We lost to Temple and Navy when they were terrible. He didn't know the OT rules against Miami. Ran it four straight times against ND at the one. But expectations were super low. In retrospect, those teams underachieved and had talent. Year 3 felt like a breakthrough. We got killed in the bowl, but there was a lot or optimism about Year 4. EA was also a first mover online and we were hearing a lot about the great recruits. There were two DTs from New Jersey -- Hinds and Crosson -- who were supposed to change BC Football. Year 4 was a real letdown. We started the season with a blowout loss to WVU and ended with a blowout loss to Miami. TOB also started driving us nuts with the THass-BSP second quarter experiment. We were invited to a bowl, but got killed in the media for not being deserving. However, we had a strong showing against ASU to finish the season on a high note.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:30 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}: Year 4 was a real letdown. We started the season with a blowout loss to WVU and ended with a blowout loss to Miami. TOB also started driving us nuts with the THass-BSP second quarter experiment. We were invited to a bowl, but got killed in the media for not being deserving. However, we had a strong showing against ASU to finish the season on a high note.

sounds familiar

listened to north korea's podcast w daz, ricky brown & gallop. not to sound crass but what exactly does gallup do? had to chuckle whenever meter brought up ryan taking the leap gallup had to defend deep sea and the ginger. defended the 2nd quarter qb switch routine, sticking with pick 6 over ryan, etc
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:51 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Iggle {l Wrote}:I wasn't watching college football at all when TOB was the BC coach, so can someone tell me how his first 4 years felt at the time compared to Daz? on paper the whole thing seems like a wash. The winning percentages for the two are comparable for the first 4 years, but TOB has the highest number of wins in 1 season in his 4th with 8, so I can imagine feeling like the team is on the upswing vs. Daz quickly getting the team respectable and then losing a ton of close games year 3 and getting waxed repeatedly against good teams in year 4.

It was almost the inverse. Year 1 and Year 2 were rough. We lost to Temple and Navy when they were terrible. He didn't know the OT rules against Miami. Ran it four straight times against ND at the one. But expectations were super low. In retrospect, those teams underachieved and had talent. Year 3 felt like a breakthrough. We got killed in the bowl, but there was a lot or optimism about Year 4. EA was also a first mover online and we were hearing a lot about the great recruits. There were two DTs from New Jersey -- Hinds and Crosson -- who were supposed to change BC Football. Year 4 was a real letdown. We started the season with a blowout loss to WVU and ended with a blowout loss to Miami. TOB also started driving us nuts with the THass-BSP second quarter experiment. We were invited to a bowl, but got killed in the media for not being deserving. However, we had a strong showing against ASU to finish the season on a high note.

Wasn't it five straight runs against ND (IIRC there was an offsides on one of the runs)?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:20 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}: Year 4 was a real letdown. We started the season with a blowout loss to WVU and ended with a blowout loss to Miami. TOB also started driving us nuts with the THass-BSP second quarter experiment. We were invited to a bowl, but got killed in the media for not being deserving. However, we had a strong showing against ASU to finish the season on a high note.

sounds familiar

listened to north korea's podcast w daz, ricky brown & gallop. not to sound crass but what exactly does gallup do? had to chuckle whenever meter brought up ryan taking the leap gallup had to defend deep sea and the ginger. defended the 2nd quarter qb switch routine, sticking with pick 6 over ryan, etc

Now that he is out of Football Operations, Gallup's job is to be Mr. BC Football. He's the historian, networker, point of contact for the Football alums, etc. He is supposed to raise money too. I haven't heard anything on how he is doing on that front.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:44 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

sounds familiar

Now that he is out of Football Operations, Gallup's job is to be Mr. BC Football. He's the historian, networker, point of contact for the Football alums, etc. He is supposed to raise money too. I haven't heard anything on how he is doing on that front.

does everyone call him "coach"?
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:37 pm

If you drained all the testosterone from the Lord of the Dudes and transfused it into TOB, would that be a good coach?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:06 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:If you drained all the testosterone from the Lord of the Dudes and transfused it into TOB, would that be a good coach?

Ketchup would start to disappear from from the supply depot.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium