Shakim Phillips to UCONN

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Shakim Phillips to UCONN

Postby joesim on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:36 pm

what an idiot, i guess not even Schiano wanted him
http://www.metro.us/boston/sports/artic ... g-to-uconn
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Re: Shakim Phillips to UCONN

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:39 pm

joesim {l Wrote}:what an idiot, i guess not even Schiano wanted him
http://www.metro.us/boston/sports/artic ... g-to-uconn

who cares
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:45 pm

Some of you are fucking dense. If he doesn't want to be here, suddenly he's the son of satan. Would you be bitter if a whole year of eligibility was burned for one reception? Thought so. Take it easy...
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby TheGuru on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:44 pm

He only had one reception because he had about 5 drops as well. He reminded me of another athlete from days gone by -- Jim Abbott.
TheGuru
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:43 am

Anyone that passes a negative judgment on Shakim Phillips is a little downy. Just saying.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:10 am

I can't wait to hear what HJS or BCnyeagledouchbagfagolafuckstick has to say about this.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:23 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Anyone that passes a negative judgment on Shakim Phillips is a little downy. Just saying.

I agree with IB, who gives a shit. As for not passing judgment, depends on the comment. We all heard the rumors of him being soft and not handling press coverage well.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:24 am

TheGuru {l Wrote}:He only had one reception because he had about 5 drops as well. He reminded me of another athlete from days gone by -- Jim Abbott.

This is really kind of a dick thing to say, but I admit it made me laugh.
Abbott did have better catching skills, though.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:18 am

I still say there is more to this story than we know.

1) He went from trying to get his NJ buddies to commit in July to transferring August. what changed in a matter of weeks? if i was guessing man or an irresponsible poster, then i would guess failed NCAA drug test or grades. if this is the case, then it would be mind boggling because although these "random" NCAA tests are supposed to be "unannounced" everyone knows they are telegraphed and coordinated well in advance. anyone that fails one reaches a :seanwilliams level of stupidity. Internal BC drug tests are much more secretive and are easier to fail but the penalties are far less severe.

ii) As for Phillips talent, anyone that calls him a bust based on the limited, injury-filled season is an asshat. i think he has a lot of upside and could have been special at BC if not for injuries and some other bad breaks.

c) as to why he did not transfer to rutgres, i find this very surprising and would like to know why. did schiano really not want him? i wonder how the rutgres board feels now after their premature ejaculatory celebration upon news he was transferring OUT of BC and presumably IN to schiannoville.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:41 am

Maybe it's just a Haden like thing- highly touted recruit who didn't like being slotted behind someone else (swigert)?
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:55 am

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:Maybe it's just a Haden like thing- highly touted recruit who didn't like being slotted behind someone else (swigert)?

I actually believe this might be the case (the Haden thing), but (since he went to the Big East and not the ACC) I repeat my earlier statement, who cares?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:08 pm

It is interesting to lool at the players that we thought should have committed or transferred and see what they are doing.

I was just reading that Forst ended up being a bust at RU and isnt starting this year like last year.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Anyone that passes a negative judgment on Shakim Phillips is a little downy. Just saying.

This. He was a big enough recruit that the staff let him wear #1. Now he's gone, and it sure as hell isn't because the team is too deep at WR.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby eagletx on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:47 pm

Nothing from nothing leaves nothing...in fact we are ahead with an added scholarship slot.

HS rep, stars and unfulfilled promise cost us nothing in the end.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:49 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:Nothing from nothing leaves nothing...in fact we are ahead with an added scholarship slot.

2 stars are better than 4 stars, slow players are better than fast players, trust the staff zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :bored
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby bcnyceagle on Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:20 pm

My reaction when we found out Phillips was leaving: This is not good our program's future, depth, etc.
My reaction to finding out he's transferring to Uconn: Who cares?
bcnyceagle
Cushing Hall

Postby eagletx on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:50 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:Nothing from nothing leaves nothing...in fact we are ahead with an added scholarship slot.

2 stars are better than 4 stars, slow players are better than fast players, trust the staff zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :bored

Simply stated he never played a meaningful down at BC....but as you still weep yourself to sleep over the loss of all that production from Davis, Tuggle and Haden, I understand.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:34 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Simply stated he never played a meaningful down at BC....but as you still weep yourself to sleep over the loss of all that production from Davis, Tuggle and Haden, I understand.

Probably because he left before he got a chance to play a meaningful down. But yeah you're right, he's obviously overrated and a terrible person and a bad fit and that's why he was just an afterthought to the staff. Oh, he was one of their top targets you say? I guess they just have way too many receivers, that must be it. Too much speed and depth at the skill positions, right? All is well. Trust the staff. :clownshoes
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:54 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Probably because he left before he got a chance to play a meaningful down. But yeah you're right, he's obviously overrated and a terrible person and a bad fit and that's why he was just an afterthought to the staff. Oh, he was one of their top targets you say? I guess they just have way too many receivers, that must be it. Too much speed and depth at the skill positions, right? All is well. Trust the staff. :clownshoes

I'm not saying that anyone has to trust the staff. But (this time last year) if I had to guess two true freshman wide receivers that would have made a real impact on the 2010 team, it wouldn't have been Amidon or Swigert.

I think Tranq and :spaz2 probably expected much more of Phillips and he didn't deliver. And with Swigert and Amidon producing, he probably realized his career at BC was going to suck for the same reason Josh Haden's did.

You know how many 4-star players never get to see the field in Columbus Ohio, Tuscalossa Alabama, and Gainesville Florida? Quite a few. Sometimes, they really fuck-up (big time) at Rivals.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby gaelfu on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:03 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

I think Tranq and :spaz2 probably expected much more of Phillips and he didn't deliver. And with Swigert and Amidon producing, he probably realized his career at BC was going to suck for the same reason Josh Haden's did.

What exactly did they produce last year that was so great? Last time I checked, our passing game was a disaster and part of that had to do with how our receivers couldn't get separation. I'd say they showed some promise perhaps for true freshman, but their actual production was marginal at best (less than 1000 yards and 6 tds combined). I think losing Shakim hurts because he could have given us a different dimension at the wr spot long-term and some insurance in case Swigert or Amidon don't take that next step.
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:51 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

I'm not saying that anyone has to trust the staff. But (this time last year) if I had to guess two true freshman wide receivers that would have made a real impact on the 2010 team, it wouldn't have been Amidon or Swigert.

You know how many 4-star players never get to see the field in Columbus Ohio, Tuscalossa Alabama, and Gainesville Florida? Quite a few. Sometimes, they really fuck-up (big time) at Rivals.

I don't know what BC team you watched last year, but that team had just about the worst offense I've ever seen at BC. That's not a knock on Swigert and Amidon, but it's Betarded to say that because they had two freshmen contribute last year that they're set at the position and they don't need anyone else. Anyone who followed the recruiting process last year knows that WR was a priority, and Phillips was a top target.

You really missed my point by mentioning Alabama, Florida and OSU. Yes, those programs lose 4-star players every year. That's because they're beaten out by other top players and there's so much depth that some guys get lost in the shuffle and have to transfer for playing time. They actually have more Shakim Phillips' than they know what to do with. BC? Not so much. Phillips was the top target in a position of need. Now he's gone. That sucks.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby eagletx on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:03 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

You know, mistakes are made all the time by rating services, coaches and recruiters, and, oh surprise, surprise, 17 and 18 year old kids.
Phillips himself said he left because he didn't fit in....I have no idea what that means: could be he couldn't cut in in the classroom; could be he got his nose out of joint because he found himself playing behind others; could be that the "system" being introduced by Rogers wasn't his game; could be the coaches weren't treating him like the 5 star superstar he was. I frankly don't know what his issues were. But Phillips chose to leave the program...and I say given his choice, nothing ventured, nothing gained. He may turn out to be a superstar elsewhere (but that is not a frequent occurrence once you commit to sitting out a year and/or choose a "can't miss" opportunity like UCONN as your landing ground....simple fact of the matter is HE choose to leave. :violin But I know it is tres fashionable that all "bad" things are ultimately the coaches issue....so despite any evidence to the contrary, in your mind, lacking any factual basis, it ultimately must have been the coaches' screwup.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:33 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

You know, mistakes are made all the time by rating services, coaches and recruiters, and, oh surprise, surprise, 17 and 18 year old kids.
Phillips himself said he left because he didn't fit in....I have no idea what that means: could be he couldn't cut in in the classroom; could be he got his nose out of joint because he found himself playing behind others; could be that the "system" being introduced by Rogers wasn't his game; could be the coaches weren't treating him like the 5 star superstar he was. I frankly don't know what his issues were. But Phillips chose to leave the program...and I say given his choice, nothing ventured, nothing gained. He may turn out to be a superstar elsewhere (but that is not a frequent occurrence once you commit to sitting out a year and/or choose a "can't miss" opportunity like UCONN as your landing ground....simple fact of the matter is HE choose to leave. :violin But I know it is tres fashionable that all "bad" things are ultimately the coaches issue....so despite any evidence to the contrary, in your mind, lacking any factual basis, it ultimately must have been the coaches' screwup.

Speaking of lacking any factual basis, because he doesn't want to be here any more it must mean he sucks and he's an immature punk, since you believe the staff is above criticism. :dildodog
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:56 am

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:43 pm

Two words: Spiff ee.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:45 am

He had a TD last night. Anyone know the story behind why he left?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:51 am

MoJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:He had a TD last night. Anyone know the story behind why he left?
He was the wrong "fit."

thought i would save him some time
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:21 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:He had a TD last night. Anyone know the story behind why he left?

He actually had 2 TDs.

It feels like he left forever ago. I don't remember why or have the story, but I just remember thinking he was horribly mismanaged. Spaz burned his redshirt, then he got injured, recovered, but then did not get into another game. That's how I remember it, anyway.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:34 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

He actually had 2 TDs.

It feels like he left forever ago. I don't remember why or have the story, but I just remember thinking he was horribly mismanaged. Spaz burned his redshirt, then he got injured, recovered, but then did not get into another game. That's how I remember it, anyway.

Sounds right...and I don't have bonepenis rotting my brain.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:24 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

He actually had 2 TDs.

TRUST TEH STAFF!!!!1
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium