Patriots Weirdos

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Patriots Weirdos

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:51 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:No spin. The guaranteed money is triple Sherman and Peterson, and nearly double Haden. It's foolish.

That said. it would be great to have Revis back, Pats aren't close to the same defense playing cover 2 without Revis and Browner. Regardless that contract is stupid, and the Jets won't be .500 before it is over, unless Chip Kelly agrees to take it on.

Not a Jets fan, but this is a pretty fair deal. It is such a good deal that it already has Pats fans re-entering their alternate Patsy universe where even basic arithmetic bends to the narrative.

The rationalization asserted by the JoePa-denier quoted above is that Revis' guaranteed money of $39mm is TRIPLE the guaranteed money paid Sherman and Peterson. Sherman received $40mm in guaranteed money and Peterson received $47mm.

ive got no problem with guaranteeing this year, next year, and a 1/3rd of the 3rd year in the deal.

dont really see why anyone would. im not gonna base a contract for an elite player on "well, i want to be able to get out of the deal a year early if he gets seriously injured". if he does, shit happens.

That's the point. Sherman and Peterson's contracts have protections for if they get hurt. Sherman is not full guaranteed until February 2016. If he gets hurt now, he never sees that full $40 million

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/07/shermans-40-million-will-be-fully-guaranteed-within-21-months/

HJS bullshit notwithstanding, I would have signed Revis for that money too, if I were the Pats. I would not have done so if I were the Jets.

Sherman and Peterson are also young and have two functioning ACLs.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:51 am

brees isnt going anywhere til after this season. his cap number is insane

he also didnt look the same last year
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:53 am

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:No spin. The guaranteed money is triple Sherman and Peterson, and nearly double Haden. It's foolish.

That said. it would be great to have Revis back, Pats aren't close to the same defense playing cover 2 without Revis and Browner. Regardless that contract is stupid, and the Jets won't be .500 before it is over, unless Chip Kelly agrees to take it on.

Not a Jets fan, but this is a pretty fair deal. It is such a good deal that it already has Pats fans re-entering their alternate Patsy universe where even basic arithmetic bends to the narrative.

The rationalization asserted by the JoePa-denier quoted above is that Revis' guaranteed money of $39mm is TRIPLE the guaranteed money paid Sherman and Peterson. Sherman received $40mm in guaranteed money and Peterson received $47mm.

ive got no problem with guaranteeing this year, next year, and a 1/3rd of the 3rd year in the deal.

dont really see why anyone would. im not gonna base a contract for an elite player on "well, i want to be able to get out of the deal a year early if he gets seriously injured". if he does, shit happens.

That's the point. Sherman and Peterson's contracts have protections for if they get hurt. Sherman is not full guaranteed until February 2016. If he gets hurt now, he never sees that full $40 million

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/07/shermans-40-million-will-be-fully-guaranteed-within-21-months/

HJS bullshit notwithstanding, I would have signed Revis for that money too, if I were the Pats. I would not have done so if I were the Jets.

Not a good deal for the Pats. This is the Jon Lester policy. Don't sign a 30 year old for huge guaranteed money for 5 years. McCourty is 27.

OK I get it. What I don't get is not signing Browner. He was cheap money. Bill must think highly of Malcolm Butler.

The theory appears to be that without Revis, they are going to play zone and Browner is only useful in press coverage. I say play press coverage, give dennard help and resign Browner. But that's just me.

PS Revis is not a pitcher.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:54 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:brees isnt going anywhere til after this season. his cap number is insane

Jets had room for Brees before Revis. He would have been a difference maker.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:55 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:brees isnt going anywhere til after this season. his cap number is insane

oh really? i didn't know they did.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:55 am

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:57 am

So who cares about Revis? I root for the Giants and they probably aren't going to factor into the postseason in any meaningful way.

Can our Philly fans here over-react to Chip Kelly's moves? I wish I knew more Philly fans right now simply so I could read their facebook rantings.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:58 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

oh really? i didn't know they did.

What's the point of the sarcasm here? This is more HJS than commave and I am confused.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:59 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:So who cares about Revis? I root for the Giants and they probably aren't going to factor into the postseason in any meaningful way.

Can our Philly fans here over-react to Chip Kelly's moves? I wish I knew more Philly fans right now simply so I could read their facebook rantings.

Chip Kelly is getting them to the playoffs last year. They started 4-0 after all.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:00 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:So who cares about Revis? I root for the Giants and they probably aren't going to factor into the postseason in any meaningful way.

i assume most of it is driven by ryan day-blogboy (atl went to jared)
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:01 am

HJS {l Wrote}:http://abc7.com/sports/darrelle-revis-back-to-jets-for-$70m/553029/
http://thornography.weei.com/sports/bos ... s-is-gone/

Again, not sure the point here. Pats fan says he guesses they didn't think he was worth it, but he disagrees.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:03 am

Useful website so that HJS can see the actual guaranteed money at signing: http://overthecap.com/position/cornerback
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:11 am

HJS {l Wrote}:http://thornography.weei.com/sports/boston/2015/03/10/why-revis-is-gone/

You automatically lose the argument for citing Jerry Thornton.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:31 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:How do you guys see the pats addressing the whole in the secondary created by the Revis departure. Do they sign/trade for a high level CB, sign a mediocre one and focus our efforts this off-season on the Dline and offense, or go the draft route which hasn't worked well for BB? Or something else entirely

Play cover 2 and score a lot. It's a shitty formula, but a crappy secondary got them to the 2011 SB and multiple AFC Championship games. It's good enough for the AFC
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:34 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:How do you guys see the pats addressing the whole in the secondary created by the Revis departure. Do they sign/trade for a high level CB, sign a mediocre one and focus our efforts this off-season on the Dline and offense, or go the draft route which hasn't worked well for BB? Or something else entirely

Play cover 2 and score a lot. It's a shitty formula, but a crappy secondary got them to the 2011 SB and multiple AFC Championship games. It's good enough for the AFC

chip kelly's offense will score a lot of points in the super bowl too...
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:39 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That's what I was fearing. I hate it, but it has proven successful. Hopefully we can get another offensive weapon to help out.

I'd be shocked if they don't make a run at Percy Harvin
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:50 am

For those interested in a world outside of Foxboro, this would be up there as one of the quintessential Bucs' moves. Trading the number 1 overall selection for a completely spent Drew Brees. I so hope this happens... not the least of which would be the entertainment value of Rapeis dealing with the NOLA nightlife.
http://neworleans.suntimes.com/new-orle ... ees-jameis
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:55 am

And... since many can't/won't respond about NFL topics outside of the Patsies... what is the deal with Brandon Browner? I haven't read anything really about him and just realized that he is a Free Agent. With Revis gone, why not just re-sign him? Always thought he was a wildly underrated player for the Pats last year.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:57 am

HJS {l Wrote}:And... since many can't/won't respond about NFL topics outside of the Patsies... what is the deal with Brandon Browner? I haven't read anything really about him and just realized that he is a Free Agent. With Revis gone, why not just re-sign him? Always thought he was a wildly underrated player for the Pats last year.

Asked and answered counselor.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:58 am

HJS {l Wrote}:For those interested in a world outside of Foxboro, this would be up there as one of the quintessential Bucs' moves. Trading the number 1 overall selection for a completely spent Drew Brees. I so hope this happens... not the least of which would be the entertainment value of Rapeis dealing with the NOLA nightlife.
http://neworleans.suntimes.com/new-orle ... ees-jameis

This would be funny.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby gallopingghost on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:26 am

So the Jets draw a line in the sand: "We are not going to give Revis a monster contract." They then precede to let him use 3 prime years of his career for Tampa and NE, after which they sign him to a monster contract. This is hilarious.

Meanwhile Rex is all "fuck you very much."
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:30 am

HJS {l Wrote}:And... since many can't/won't respond about NFL topics outside of the Patsies... what is the deal with Brandon Browner? I haven't read anything really about him and just realized that he is a Free Agent. With Revis gone, why not just re-sign him? Always thought he was a wildly underrated player for the Pats last year.

Mods, please move HJS' other posts to the Bucs and/or Saints Weirdos thread(s).
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:31 am

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:So the Jets draw a line in the sand: "We are not going to give Revis a monster contract." They then precede to let him use 3 prime years of his career for Tampa and NE, after which they sign him to a monster contract. This is hilarious.

The defense wasn't the primary reason the Jets sucked.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:54 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Mods, please move HJS' other posts to the Bucs and/or Saints Weirdos thread(s).

no
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:01 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:So the Jets draw a line in the sand: "We are not going to give Revis a monster contract." They then precede to let him use 3 prime years of his career for Tampa and NE, after which they sign him to a monster contract. This is hilarious.

this is the nospacian version of contract analysis
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:21 pm

im just waiting for more spin...its priceless

schefter tweets out yesterday that the jets are the favorites w the pats making one last run at him

then some guy in the boston media says the pats were actually out over the weekend and were trying to get the jets to bid against themselves.

ill take schefters word for it on that one
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:10 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:then some guy in the boston media says the pats were actually out over the weekend and were trying to get the jets to bid against themselves.

haha, which one said this?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:39 pm

jets gave up a 7th round draft pick for a guy who is a significant upgrade over Geno smith. I'll take it every day
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:48 pm

Revis with his Jets contract would've taken up $21m of the Pats cap, which is about 17%. That's a lot for a non-QB.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:05 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:jets gave up a 7th round draft pick for a guy who is a significant upgrade over Geno smith. I'll take it every day

Enjoy Fitzy, who flamed out in both buffalo and houston. Also, Chris Crane is a significant upgrade over Geno Smith

The market for Mariota is drying up fast. If Tennessee doesn't take him, it looks like a long day in the green room.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium