Patriots Weirdos

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Patriots Weirdos

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:03 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:for the record, id much rather pay revis 3 yrs at 17 mil a year or whatever the number is as opposed to two/three mid tier players for longer contracts and more money.

to your point tw, i dont think theyre close, so id prefer to keep guaranteed money short

only way they get close is if they bring back the sanchez / braylon tandem.

You fill out finished rosters with elite corners. You don't start teams with them.

I think the Pats are willing to go 4 years, 14.5 a year with about 30 million in front-loaded guaranteed money. Anything more than that for a team that is not on the cusp of the Super Bowl is stupid.

you have to reach the minimum spending threshold. you dont do it by giving 10 mil a year on lengthy contracts to mediocre players. thats how you end up like the oakland raiders.

You are worse than the Oakland Raiders if you reach the threshold by spending it all on a corner.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:04 pm

Evidently Drew Brees is available, the Jets could make the threshold there and they might be able to score some points.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:27 pm

Percy Harvin released. Don't be surprised if that piques interest to the North.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:45 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:for the record, id much rather pay revis 3 yrs at 17 mil a year or whatever the number is as opposed to two/three mid tier players for longer contracts and more money.

to your point tw, i dont think theyre close, so id prefer to keep guaranteed money short

You fill out finished rosters with elite corners. You don't start teams with them.

I think the Pats are willing to go 4 years, 14.5 a year with about 30 million in front-loaded guaranteed money. Anything more than that for a team that is not on the cusp of the Super Bowl is stupid.

you have to reach the minimum spending threshold. you dont do it by giving 10 mil a year on lengthy contracts to mediocre players. thats how you end up like the oakland raiders.

You are worse than the Oakland Raiders if you reach the threshold by spending it all on a corner.

well i guess its a good thing the going rate for corners isn't 50 mil / year then.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:48 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

well i guess its a good thing the going rate for corners isn't 50 mil / year then.

Yet.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:58 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

The Jets don't need to spend 50 million to meet the floor - 50 million puts them way over the cap.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:59 pm

Word on the street is Revis wants a reasonable # but all of it guaranteed, which is the problem for the Pats.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby mod6A on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:59 pm

unsure if i need to start another thread for this, and i apologize if this sullies up your patriots/jets talk.

but what the hell is chip kelly doing in philadelphia? seriously. just what?

:whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:41 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Word on the street is Revis wants a reasonable # but all of it guaranteed, which is the problem for the Pats.

to the Jets as expected. Word is he got $39m guaranteed.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:01 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Word on the street is Revis wants a reasonable # but all of it guaranteed, which is the problem for the Pats.

to the Jets as expected. Word is he got $39m guaranteed.

5 years 70 million, 39 million guaranteed. Not sure who the biggest retard is here, but it ain't Belichick.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:38 pm

Muhammad Wilkerson's agent must be kicking his chops. The Jets will be much improved next year. They might win 6 games.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby Bunratty on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:45 am

Revis only got $39M guaranteed. Short money in the elite CB world. Patriots got too content with their super bowl win and really effed up and cheaped out on a bona fide generational player and game changer. BB may be brilliant, but sometimes he does stupid things. Went from Super Bowl favorite to just another contender. Epic stupid.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:09 am

That is never short money in the salary cap world. I would have paid him but I am not stupid enough to have won four super bowls.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:21 am

patriots spin is excellent

looking forward to pats fans going back to saying hes a worse cornerback than had to be moved from cornerback devon mccourty again.

its basically a 3 year deal...if the jets were to find andrew luck 5.0 in the draft this year they still wouldnt have to pay him til after 3 years. and i expect the cap to be significantly higher in 3 years than it is now

itll make my sundays less miserable. no brainer
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:21 am

There is no spin here. Revis is a great talent and I wanted him back. Would have paid him the money the Jets did. But until the Jets actually get a real QB, I'm not exactly worried. As the Pats' offense showed in the SB, they don't need to throw to outside WRs to score points.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:48 am

No spin. The guaranteed money is triple Sherman and Peterson, and nearly double Haden. It's foolish.

That said. it would be great to have Revis back, Pats aren't close to the same defense playing cover 2 without Revis and Browner. Regardless that contract is stupid, and the Jets won't be .500 before it is over, unless Chip Kelly agrees to take it on.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:49 am

PS, I would have paid him too, as I said in my "spin" above. Fucking Jets fans, winning the offseason Super Bowl again.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:50 am

PSS - If the Jets want to beat the Pats, the better signing for head to head would be Browner. Revis ain't covering the Pats' #1 weapon.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:14 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:PSS - If the Jets want to beat the Pats, the better signing for head to head would be Browner. Revis ain't covering the Pats' #1 weapon.

you must be bored at work
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:22 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:PSS - If the Jets want to beat the Pats, the better signing for head to head would be Browner. Revis ain't covering the Pats' #1 weapon.

Because I said that that Revis is going to get 40 million to cover Brandon LaFell?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:25 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

Because I said that that Revis is going to get 40 million to cover Brandon LaFell?

yes
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:35 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:No spin. The guaranteed money is triple Sherman and Peterson, and nearly double Haden. It's foolish.

That said. it would be great to have Revis back, Pats aren't close to the same defense playing cover 2 without Revis and Browner. Regardless that contract is stupid, and the Jets won't be .500 before it is over, unless Chip Kelly agrees to take it on.

Not a Jets fan, but this is a pretty fair deal. It is such a good deal that it already has Pats fans re-entering their alternate Patsy universe where even basic arithmetic bends to the narrative.

The rationalization asserted by the JoePa-denier quoted above is that Revis' guaranteed money of $39mm is TRIPLE the guaranteed money paid Sherman and Peterson. Sherman received $40mm in guaranteed money and Peterson received $47mm.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:36 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:No spin. The guaranteed money is triple Sherman and Peterson, and nearly double Haden. It's foolish.

Not a Jets fan, but this is a pretty fair deal. It is such a good deal that it already has Pats fans re-entering their alternate Patsy universe where even basic arithmetic bends to the narrative.

The rationalization asserted by the JoePa-denier quoted above is that Revis' guaranteed money of $39mm is TRIPLE the guaranteed money paid Sherman and Peterson. Sherman received $40mm in guaranteed money and Peterson received $47mm.

Former agent and CBS columnist:

Joel Corry ‏@corryjoel 7m7 minutes ago
Highest paid CBs-Amount fully GTD at signing Revis-$39M Haden-$22,078,193 Peterson-$16.25M Sherman-$14.231M
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:37 am

As a reference https://twitter.com/corryjoel

He must be a Pats fan
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:38 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

ive got no problem with guaranteeing this year, next year, and a 1/3rd of the 3rd year in the deal.

dont really see why anyone would. im not gonna base a contract for an elite player on "well, i want to be able to get out of the deal a year early if he gets seriously injured". if he does, shit happens.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:41 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

ive got no problem with guaranteeing this year, next year, and a 1/3rd of the 3rd year in the deal.

dont really see why anyone would. im not gonna base a contract for an elite player on "well, i want to be able to get out of the deal a year early if he gets seriously injured". if he does, shit happens.

That's the point. Sherman and Peterson's contracts have protections for if they get hurt. Sherman is not full guaranteed until February 2016. If he gets hurt now, he never sees that full $40 million

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/07/shermans-40-million-will-be-fully-guaranteed-within-21-months/

HJS bullshit notwithstanding, I would have signed Revis for that money too, if I were the Pats. I would not have done so if I were the Jets.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:46 am

The Jets have boatloads of cap space. They weren't going to be denied here. If I'm the Jets, I dangle the 6th pick for Brees. There's no point in having Wilkerson, Revis, Marshall, etc. when your QB is Geno Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick. The Bills and Jets are basically in the same position: improved but nowhere near a contender because of who's throwing the ball.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:47 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:The Jets have boatloads of cap space. They weren't going to be denied here. If I'm the Jets, I dangle the 6th pick for Brees. There's no point in having Wilkerson, Revis, Marshall, etc. when your QB is Geno Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick. The Bills and Jets are basically in the same position: improved but nowhere near a contender because of who's throwing the ball.

This. I said yesterday that they should spend the money on Brees, not Revis.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:49 am

Although I would say that Brees' cap number would put the Jets WAY over the cap now that they are paying Revis. Not sure they can do both without magic.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby gallopingghost on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:50 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

That's the point. Sherman and Peterson's contracts have protections for if they get hurt. Sherman is not full guaranteed until February 2016. If he gets hurt now, he never sees that full $40 million

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/07/shermans-40-million-will-be-fully-guaranteed-within-21-months/

HJS bullshit notwithstanding, I would have signed Revis for that money too, if I were the Pats. I would not have done so if I were the Jets.

Not a good deal for the Pats. This is the Jon Lester policy. Don't sign a 30 year old for huge guaranteed money for 5 years. McCourty is 27.

OK I get it. What I don't get is not signing Browner. He was cheap money. Bill must think highly of Malcolm Butler.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium