Only one televised ACC game this week???

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Only one televised ACC game this week???

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:00 pm

Am I reading this correctly? Outside of PPV (GamePlan) or choppy Internet feed (360)... it appears that the only televised game is on ESPN this week is FSU vs. GTech. Is that true??? I find that incredible and ask what kind of "deal" do we have from Disney where our mid-October game aren't even receiving REGIONAL coverage. Look... I like the whole GameDay thing and the NHL can speak to how ESPN will simply ignore covering you if you leave. But, the other conferences realize that you can't let ESPN have rights over more than one game a week. They simply freeze out coverage by sticking games on PPV, 360 and ESPNU. Speaking of ESPNU... is that supposed to be below 360? I ask because they are televising NCS vs. Duke on there. I can assure that there is more interest in BC-VT than there ever would be in a game (football, basketball, flip-cup, etc.) of RCC and DU.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: Only one televised ACC game this week???

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:08 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Speaking of ESPNU... is that supposed to be below 360? I ask because they are televising NCS vs. Duke on there. I can assure that there is more interest in BC-VT than there ever would be in a game (football, basketball, flip-cup, etc.) of RCC and DU.

ESPN/ABC can select two games before Raycom. Raycom gets third pick. If ESPN fails to put two ACC games on ESPN/ABC or ESPN2, then Raycom picks second. Raycom picks ahead of ESPN U. The NCSU-Duke game was selected after our game.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:22 pm

So... while most of the northeast won't get the game... because Raycom has never bothered attaining a station in the market (or established a relationship with someone like the WB)... there will be areas of Jacksonville who won't be so deprived. Whew! That's a relief.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:30 pm

I was stunned that ESPN didn't pick up BC/Va Tech. They love story-lines, and the rivalry over the last few teams between these two teams is something that they could have easily played into high ratings.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:56 pm

I think it clear that they based their decision on us royally sucking. After all, they only had 54-yard Clemson game and the should-have-lost Wake match-up to base its decision.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:05 pm

4 out of 5 games I have to watch on my pc.

ND will be NBC.

WTF is Central Michigan.

I got the fucking U....I can't buy or access the fucking 360!
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby quillisswill on Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:21 pm

Is Pitt v. Yukon the ABC regional? Very craptastic, although it won't stop me from rooting for Pitt to beat them by 20.
quillisswill
n00b

Postby gallopingghost on Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:46 pm

This absolutly sucks. I can't believe ESPN will not be braodcasting this game. This is ridicuolus Back in the BE days Jefferson Pilot would braodcast just about every game, except for the cupcakes. Fuck you Raycom!!!
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby UnionvilleUConnFan on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:08 pm

Not to be a jerk about it, but I think the whole world is sick of BC v. VT games; you guys play each other more than the Red Sox and the Yankees.
UnionvilleUConnFan
Carney Hall

Postby apbc12 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:22 pm

Oh yeah? Well the whole world is sick of UConn vs. . . .umm . . .

Who does UConn play sometimes?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby UnionvilleUConnFan on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:29 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:Oh yeah? Well the whole world is sick of UConn vs. . . .umm . . .

There have been a couple barnburner games against Temple, for one.
UnionvilleUConnFan
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:31 pm

UnionvilleUConnFan {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:Oh yeah? Well the whole world is sick of UConn vs. . . .umm . . .

fixed.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:41 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
UnionvilleUConnFan {l Wrote}:

Although I don't agree with your goals of being a day care provider, I respect the hell out of this post.

OT have any of you bitching about this watched any of the craptacular games of the acc this year? The acc is NOT good. Accept it.

I also respeck the original post from uconnblueandwhite: "Not to be a jerk about it, but I think the whole world is sick of BC v. VT games; you guys play each other more than the Red Sox and the Yankees." Thought it was funny as hell... especially considering BC-VT has played more times over the last 2 years than any other match-up.

As for the ACC, yeah... it has pretty much sucked this year... but except for the Clemson game the coaches didn't bother trying to win, OUR games have been exciting... what with all the prevent and stuff. VT's games have also been pretty entertaining... as have GT's and Miami's. Basically, you will get an interesting watch whenever one of those 4 play. If they happen to be playing against each other, it is must see TV. There in lies the disappointment of being broadcast on Raycom. I also don't want to mention that the last time we played on Raycom we netted 54 total yards.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:48 am

As a comparison... what is a more interesting game? BC vs. VT or BC vs. NCS?
Well, apparently Disney feels it is the latter. While they passed on this week's game against the Hokies, they are proudly broadcasting our RCC match-up on ABC at 3:30.
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/4 ... -announced
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby shockdoct on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:58 am

It is pretty clear if they had a mulligan this week they would have picked up the BC/VT game. Unfortunately they have to pick the schedule 2 weeks in advance and the clemson game really screwed us over.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby Mr. O on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:15 pm

The ACC doesn't play in a vacuum. The games in other conferences also dictate what ACC games will be picked up by ESPN/ABC. The new SEC contract has left the ACC with fewer TV slots not to mention more Big 10 games being shown.

Also, aren't there 3 games on TV this week?
Last edited by Mr. O on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. O
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:23 pm

Mr. O {l Wrote}:The ACC doesn't play in a vacuum. The games in other conferences also dictate what ACC games will be picked up by ESPN/ABC. The new SEC contract has left the ACC with fewer TV slots not to mention more Big 10 games being shown.

I can assure you that if TV could get a redo, they would put BC/VT in the alternate ESPN/ABC slot at night in Lane Stadium. They just made the decision after a horrible Clemson loss, and they thought BC was going to suck.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:As a comparison... what is a more interesting game? BC vs. VT or BC vs. NCS?
Well, apparently Disney feels it is the latter. While they passed on this week's game against the Hokies, they are proudly broadcasting our RCC match-up on ABC at 3:30.
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/4 ... -announced

Let's not forget the role that the miraculous Not-A-Loss game against Wake played. I think that with that coming on the heels of the Let's-Hope-This-Won't-Get-Ugly Clemson game and with VT just pounding Miami... ESPN felt that televising another 50-yard performance wasn't the best entertainment for the money. But, now, with VT #5 and BC 4-1, they look silly.

As for the "they picked better games" argument. This is what they are televising on Saturday:
Auburn vs. Arkansas
Purdue vs. Minnie
Wisco vs. PSU
Oregon vs. UCLA
Baylor vs. Okla
Pitt vs. UConn
Colo vs. TX
GTech vs. FSU
Mich vs. Iowa

Clearly, the game they picked over VT-BC was UConn-Pitt. Now, maybe that has something to do with a contract (as I assume they have to televise a NBE once a week). But... outside of that... there is no way in the effing world Disney would pick a game in the loser bracket of the UNC-NCS-Pitt-UConn tourney over a chance to broadcast the #5 team seeking revenge against its rival. BTW... the Purdue-Minnie and Okla-Baylor and Colo-TX games are all equally unwatchable. I mean... with PSU-Wisco and Mich-Iowa already getting airtime... did they REALLY feel an undying need to provide the country with Boilermakers-Gophers???? Those two teams COMBINED have the same number of wins as BC.

I just think that this underscores how Swofford needs to find another network. ESPN is just too in bed with the B10, SEC and B12. The ACC (and PAC10) are relegated to second-class citizens (while the NBE is nonexistant). CBS/Fox/NBC needs to be given first choice... ESPN needs to be given 2nd and 3rd choice (with a REQUIREMENT that it be ABC, ESPN or ESPN2) and some kind of syndicate receiving the other games. Only way we should be staying at Disney is if they promise 3 televised games each week on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2. Much like the B11 is apparently getting.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Mr. O on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:35 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Mr. O {l Wrote}:The ACC doesn't play in a vacuum. The games in other conferences also dictate what ACC games will be picked up by ESPN/ABC. The new SEC contract has left the ACC with fewer TV slots not to mention more Big 10 games being shown.

I can assure you that if TV could get a redo, they would put BC/VT in the alternate ESPN/ABC slot at night in Lane Stadium. They just made the decision after a horrible Clemson loss, and they thought BC was going to suck.

That game is much more attractive now...I agree. But the games are picked when they are picked (12 days before) unless they use a 6 option. I think they only get to use the six day options twice a year or something like that.

Big 10 and SEC are getting more slots this year and the ACC is getting hit hard because of it. It doens't bother me because I go to the games. ESPNU at 4 pm against Duke is a perfect start time for me. Looking forward to the trip to Boston next weekend as well for the 3:30 start. We have had great start times all year.
Mr. O
n00b

Return to Alumni Stadium