Coach Flip Mention

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coach Flip Mention

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:12 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:Also:

-Allow walk-up tailgating on Brighton and Newton campuses and in the satellite lots, and attempt to gain usage of more satellite lots closer to campus (how about the shopping center on the corner of Hammond and Rt. 9?)
-Get rid of the Staties, rely on BCPD and rent-a-cops (with Newton PD for backup if necessary) for security
-Expand the tailgating hours....contrary to popular belief this can be done, it will just take a little bit of negotiation

As much as I would love to get rid of the Staties, I don't think this can be undone. You know what these fucks would do, there would be DUI check points surrounding Alumni on gameday. Instead, just get rid of the 30min rule so they don't have anything to get mad about.

Great, get rid of the 30 minute rule. Then tailgating would be marginally better and no one would be watching the football team play. I remember Alumni circa 1996-1999. The Conte ghosts were the only people in the stadium prior to the start of the second. Basically, its a shitty fucking fanbase that needs to be told to go into the stadium.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:25 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

-Allow walk-up tailgating on Brighton and Newton campuses and in the satellite lots, and attempt to gain usage of more satellite lots closer to campus (how about the shopping center on the corner of Hammond and Rt. 9?)
-Get rid of the Staties, rely on BCPD and rent-a-cops (with Newton PD for backup if necessary) for security
-Expand the tailgating hours....contrary to popular belief this can be done, it will just take a little bit of negotiation

As much as I would love to get rid of the Staties, I don't think this can be undone. You know what these fucks would do, there would be DUI check points surrounding Alumni on gameday. Instead, just get rid of the 30min rule so they don't have anything to get mad about.

You need the Staties. Way too big of an area for our rent-a-cops to cover. That said... this is a boondoggle for the Troopahs. Absolutely no need to put up with any who offend the fans.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:39 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Great, get rid of the 30 minute rule. Then tailgating would be marginally better and no one would be watching the football team play. I remember Alumni circa 1996-1999. The Conte ghosts were the only people in the stadium prior to the start of the second. Basically, its a shitty fucking fanbase that needs to be told to go into the stadium.

Mind your own business. What the fuck do you care what other people do?

I care when I am sitting on empty aluminium watching football players look up at six people during warmups and wondering why they decided to go to BC to play in front of fans that would rather pay 5000 dollars to drink beers on a shitty softball field than either (a) watch the game; or (b) stay home, drink beers and watch the game.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:43 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

You need the Staties. Way too big of an area for our rent-a-cops to cover. That said... this is a boondoggle for the Troopahs. Absolutely no need to put up with any who offend the fans.

Even if you had the name of the offending Statie, I doubt they would do anything about it - union rules.

How many BC fans really want more than 3 hours to tailgate?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:49 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

I care when I am sitting on empty aluminium watching football players look up at six people during warmups and wondering why they decided to go to BC to play in front of fans that would rather pay 5000 dollars to drink beers on a shitty softball field than either (a) watch the game; or (b) stay home, drink beers and watch the game.

The jailhouse tactics have been alive and well for some time. How has the attendance been when the players run onto the field? Christ... Herzy's first game... how many people were in their seats to watch that miracle? NOTHING has changed attendance-wise since they started bullyclubbing donors.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:51 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Even if you had the name of the offending Statie, I doubt they would do anything about it - union rules.

It's not so much that more than 3 hours is needed, it's more the flexibility of showing up at a time of your choosing and the fact that everywhere else in the free world doesn't have to circle the gate until a clock strikes the exact second. It's kindergarten shit and, combined with a number of other factors, promotes a more tense, less leisurely experience all-around.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:55 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

The jailhouse tactics have been alive and well for some time. How has the attendance been when the players run onto the field? Christ... Herzy's first game... how many people were in their seats to watch that miracle? NOTHING has changed attendance-wise since they started bullyclubbing donors.

That's not true. No, people aren't in their seats for kickoff because they are still wandering in/hitting the bathroom (I saw Herzy run on, but honestly most games I tend to miss a couple plays here and there), but they certainly are in their seats sooner than they were without the 30 minute rule.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:57 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

I can't go back further than 1996 as a season ticket holder, but the tendency to stroll in in the middle of the second quarter has been greater curtailed over the past few years. Not a statement on attendance, but rather the arrival times of those that actually are in attendence. With a few exceptions, it has been much better the past few years. Some of that is likely related to the Jags/Ryan era.

Regardless, even if it hasn't gotten better, the point remains - it's lame. You paid to park, you paid for tickets - go to the game. Players deserve better than BC fans.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:00 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

It's not so much that more than 3 hours is needed, it's more the flexibility of showing up at a time of your choosing and the fact that everywhere else in the free world doesn't have to circle the gate until a clock strikes the exact second. It's kindergarten shit and, combined with a number of other factors, promotes a more tense, less leisurely experience all-around.

Good point but this is not entirely within BC's control, unlike the 30min rule.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Regardless, even if it hasn't gotten better, the point remains - it's lame. You paid to park, you paid for tickets - go to the game. Players deserve better than BC fans.

Yes, the players do deserve better than BC fans.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:04 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Yes, the players do deserve better than BC fans.

Fans who actually go to the game. Or watch them on TV, at least.

And who can lose those pesky 15-20 lbs.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:10 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Good point but this is not entirely within BC's control, unlike the 30min rule.

That's true. I agree with Philly though that it wouldn't be as tough to expand it as they try to make you believe. How about this - a trial period where one or two areas open earlier than the normal time for one or two big games? That makes it easier to police for that short time and it could prove to the neighbors how it would help the flow of traffic while also showing them that it wouldn't be out of control. It's irrefutable that when they expanded from 2 to 3 hours that traffic improved. I watch people cruise into the Mod lot just a little bit later every game now - which spreads out the jam. Before the mad scramble to the gate not only was ridiculous (it still can be), but it took away tailgating time that was not generous to begin with because of the congestion. Expanding the time again would only further sieve out the layers of fans who wish to show at different times.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:13 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

That's not true. No, people aren't in their seats for kickoff because they are still wandering in/hitting the bathroom (I saw Herzy run on, but honestly most games I tend to miss a couple plays here and there), but they certainly are in their seats sooner than they were without the 30 minute rule.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't close down tailgating once the kickoff occurs. They are free to do that if they like. However, they shut the shit down THIRTY MINUTES before kickoff... which means they start reminding you that they will be shutting you down 1-hour before kickoff.

I'll give another example. I've mentioned this before... but... did you know there is a provision in the Parking Agreement that states "No games." One time we arrived early and were waiting for the car with the beer to show up. We had the food and things like water. So, we set up the table and filled a cup with water and randomly stared throwing the bottle cap at it to see who could get it in. A cop comes up and says "No drinking games." We explained that we weren't drinking... hadn't even gotten the alcohol yet. He responded "Doesn't matter... you are playing a game and were told to crackdown on ALL game playing." I called Ath Dev that Monday to express my outrage. They said that it was our hard-and-fast rule. No cornhole, Baggo, horseshoes, washers... anything... and ESPECIALLY no drinking games like quarters, Beirut or anchorman. This is the fucking clownshoes shit we put up with under Gene. This has absolutely nothing to do with Newton, the neighbors or liability. Give us thousands for parking and tickets. Sit dispassionately in the game and watch boring-ass football. And, don't hope for anything by marginal success.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:30 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I'll give another example. I've mentioned this before... but... did you know there is a provision in the Parking Agreement that states "No games." One time we arrived early and were waiting for the car with the beer to show up. We had the food and things like water. So, we set up the table and filled a cup with water and randomly stared throwing the bottle cap at it to see who could get it in. A cop comes up and says "No drinking games." We explained that we weren't drinking... hadn't even gotten the alcohol yet. He responded "Doesn't matter... you are playing a game and were told to crackdown on ALL game playing." I called Ath Dev that Monday to express my outrage. They said that it was our hard-and-fast rule. No cornhole, Baggo, horseshoes, washers... anything... and ESPECIALLY no drinking games like quarters, Beirut or anchorman. This is the fucking clownshoes shit we put up with under Gene. This has absolutely nothing to do with Newton, the neighbors or liability. Give us thousands for parking and tickets. Sit dispassionately in the game and watch boring-ass football. And, don't hope for anything by marginal success.

I suspect that comes down from an authority higher than Gene. They think students and fans can (and will) turn any game into a drinking game, and they're right. It's part of BC's crusade against binge drinking.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:32 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I'll give another example. I've mentioned this before... but... did you know there is a provision in the Parking Agreement that states "No games." One time we arrived early and were waiting for the car with the beer to show up. We had the food and things like water. So, we set up the table and filled a cup with water and randomly stared throwing the bottle cap at it to see who could get it in. A cop comes up and says "No drinking games." We explained that we weren't drinking... hadn't even gotten the alcohol yet. He responded "Doesn't matter... you are playing a game and were told to crackdown on ALL game playing." I called Ath Dev that Monday to express my outrage. They said that it was our hard-and-fast rule. No cornhole, Baggo, horseshoes, washers... anything... and ESPECIALLY no drinking games like quarters, Beirut or anchorman. This is the fucking clownshoes shit we put up with under Gene. This has absolutely nothing to do with Newton, the neighbors or liability. Give us thousands for parking and tickets. Sit dispassionately in the game and watch boring-ass football. And, don't hope for anything by marginal success.

I suspect that comes down from an authority higher than Gene. They think students and fans can (and will) turn any game into a drinking game, and they're right. It's part of BC's crusade against binge drinking.

Either way, it's retarded. Do they think if there are no drinking games, people won't binge drink at tailgates? Come on, BC is a Catholic school, not Baptist or Methodist.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:34 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

I'm not saying that they shouldn't close down tailgating once the kickoff occurs. They are free to do that if they like. However, they shut the shit down THIRTY MINUTES before kickoff... which means they start reminding you that they will be shutting you down 1-hour before kickoff.

I'll give another example. I've mentioned this before... but... did you know there is a provision in the Parking Agreement that states "No games." One time we arrived early and were waiting for the car with the beer to show up. We had the food and things like water. So, we set up the table and filled a cup with water and randomly stared throwing the bottle cap at it to see who could get it in. A cop comes up and says "No drinking games." We explained that we weren't drinking... hadn't even gotten the alcohol yet. He responded "Doesn't matter... you are playing a game and were told to crackdown on ALL game playing." I called Ath Dev that Monday to express my outrage. They said that it was our hard-and-fast rule. No cornhole, Baggo, horseshoes, washers... anything... and ESPECIALLY no drinking games like quarters, Beirut or anchorman. This is the fucking clownshoes shit we put up with under Gene. This has absolutely nothing to do with Newton, the neighbors or liability. Give us thousands for parking and tickets. Sit dispassionately in the game and watch boring-ass football. And, don't hope for anything by marginal success.

I didn't actually say whether they should or shouldn't, but that it is actually affecting the time at which the butts get in the seats. Your contention was that because they weren't all in for kickoff that it wasn't having any effect. People are definitely in earlier. Like 4-8 minutes into the game clock rather than mid-2nd quarter. Significant difference.

It's funny you mention that because I first got the "no games" talk this season (in fact I may have brought it up in this forum) and was blown away. Swear to God, didn't know about it until this season. Got home and checked the parking agreement and there it was. It's total and utter BS - no argument there.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:37 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

Either way, it's retarded. Do they think if there are no drinking games, people won't binge drink at tailgates? Come on, BC is a Catholic school, not Baptist or Methodist.

It's under the same line of thinking that says students won't binge drink if they can't have kegs, beer balls, or central sources. :roll:
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:37 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

It's under the same line of thinking that says students won't binge drink if they can't have kegs, beer balls, or central sources. :roll:

bingo
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:49 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

bingo

It's fucktarded. We are the only school in America with such a situation. Is that because we are literally the most out of control boozehounds? Or is it because we have been so browbeaten by this facist regime that we will accept anything? Based on the rationalizing posts in this thread, it is clearly the latter.

What's next?
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:So... check this shit out. I go to enter the game for what turned out to be our only win this year (against Iona Prep). The Troopers explained that each person in attendance must go through a full body cavity search. I think this is pretty freaking outrageous thing to deal with just to watch some crap football.

I suspect that comes down from an authority higher than Gene. They think students and fans can (and will) sneak alcohol into the game, and they're right. It's part of BC's crusade against binge drinking.

bingo
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:58 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

bingo

It's fucktarded. We are the only school in America with such a situation. Is that because we are literally the most out of control boozehounds? Or is it because we have been so browbeaten by this facist regime that we will accept anything? Based on the rationalizing posts in this thread, it is clearly the latter.

RV Row in South Bend 2002. The official Bag-o* carrier was unable to make the trip. I did what I could while substituting. As I made the rounds offering Bag-o to any BC student or fan, I was stopped by an Indiana State Trooper. "No drinking games allowed." "Bag-o isn't a game, it's a way of life." Silence. I then threw Bag-o into the nearest garbage figuring my response had put me on a significantly shorter leash. Who the hell wants to trek back to Indiana for a court date for defending the right to distribute a $4 bag of wine?

*Bag-o is a the bag taken out of a box of wine. To drink, one must kneel down and allow a steady stream to fill their mouth. One is not allowed to walk away until you smack the bag and yell "Bag-o". An extreme Bag-o is when one goes beyond kneeling to, say, taking a Bag-o from below a 2nd story window or the like.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:11 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:It's fucktarded. We are the only school in America with such a situation. Is that because we are literally the most out of control boozehounds? Or is it because we have been so browbeaten by this facist regime that we will accept anything? Based on the rationalizing posts in this thread, it is clearly the latter.

By fascist regime, are you talking about the Gene D regime, or the Office of the Dean for Student Development, which sets the campus alcohol policy?

And I happen to agree with you that BC fans, which are primarily composed of BC alumni, have been so browbeaten that they will accept this, especially the post-nerdification alumni, as TRE would remark. It's also a product of the enduring fragments of puritanical culture in the Commonwealth that force bars to close by 2 AM and think happy hour is the devil.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:22 pm

Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:07 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

This rule is going to cost me so much more damn money next year...like hundreds if not into the thousands. it's so gay. A natty keg gets you 165 beers for mid 50's...50ish dollars will get me 3 30's next year. So so gay. Yeah, because I'm going to drink less because it'll cost me more :roll:
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:31 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

bingo

RV Row in South Bend 2002. The official Bag-o* carrier was unable to make the trip. I did what I could while substituting. As I made the rounds offering Bag-o to any BC student or fan, I was stopped by an Indiana State Trooper. "No drinking games allowed." "Bag-o isn't a game, it's a way of life." Silence. I then threw Bag-o into the nearest garbage figuring my response had put me on a significantly shorter leash. Who the hell wants to trek back to Indiana for a court date for defending the right to distribute a $4 bag of wine?

we played flip cup etc. while tailgating at south bend without any problems. Their rule may state "no drinking games" but i think it's rarely enforced ( you apparently ran into a 50 on a power trip ).
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Mosi on Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:06 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:ATL - What's the latest word on ticket sales?

If he says anything above brutal I'd be shocked.

Some :skank called me the other day asking why I didn't renew my ticket sales despite numerous deadlines passing... i have only a pair of tickets so if they are hounding me things must be really bad.

as I posted above, looks like I wasn't the only one gettin the calls

was expecting a call, when I got one from a 617 # i didn't know.. "Hi Mosi, this is _______ from the BCAA calling about your football season tickets"

one ticket

upper corner

proactive calling

shitty schedule

sales must be waaaaaaay down
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:03 pm

The local bigots are more to blame for the no games rule than Gene. The local bigots prowl the tailgates with cameras looking for such activity that they will then use against BC. These bigots are one of the reasons for the Shea ticket rule.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BCDF22 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:20 pm

I am as big a critic of the tailgating policy as anyone, but we've been playing cornhole on Shea Field with customized BC corn hole boards for the past 3 years and we have not had a single issue. IVe been on shea the last 4 years, and things have gotten dramatically better in terms of the police presence. they have been far more relaxed the last few years in terms of forcing people into the game, forcing people out of the lots, and things like games etc. its no where near what it should be, but things have been FAR better on Shea the last 2 years
BCDF22
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:39 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

The local bigots are more to blame for the no games rule than Gene. The local bigots prowl the tailgates with cameras looking for such activity that they will then use against BC. These bigots are one of the reasons for the Shea ticket rule.

Good info. Can you elaborate more?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Thornton Melon on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:58 pm

My true frustration with everything BC and Gene related is that they are completely freaking tone-deaf. I don't know whether the administrative side of the operation is good or not. There's really only the BJ Raji thing to look back on and really question in that regard in the last many years.

But Gene has no feel for his customer base - which is basically made up of four types of stakeholders - the sort of National media/General University; old diehard alumni types; recent alumni types, and local sports fans who are ambivalent about BC or even maybe negative about BC but want to attend college sporting events.

The immediate argument to some degree is "Well, Boston is a sports town". I would agree with that, but it's also arguably the greatest college city in the world.

The frustration that I have is that the Athletic Department has no strategy other than to portray stability. For some reason they believe that the best marketing pitch for the University is that basically year in, year out, you get the same thing from us. No matter what the sport. Gene loves the consistency mantra.

To me, Boston fans eat up the history angle. The Red Sox/Celtics/Bruins are all about history. Patriots not so much, though it will be that way in the future...but why are we not focusing Flutie to Hasselbeck (or skip him) to Ryan now to Chase the Chosen....from Romo to Boyd to Herzy to St Luke? Or OL University (pick the current guy you want to focus on)....People eat that stuff up. Instead it's the Dan Duquette "More days in first place" regime.

I almost wonder whether you need an empty suit to be the face of the franchise and let someone with a brain do the actual work. But this guy inspires no one to want to attend games. Shit, you could promote Kevin Rogers this year....

Hoops - last time you had a freshman class like this next years class was the Curley/Abram/Huckabee group - people remember that Elite 8 run, sell that stuff.

You can see why Tom O'Brien lasted so long with this group - these guys are the athletic department equivalent of Tom O'Brien, competent but ultimately afraid of their own shadows...
Thornton Melon
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:00 pm

Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:My true frustration with everything BC and Gene related is that they are completely freaking tone-deaf. I don't know whether the administrative side of the operation is good or not. There's really only the BJ Raji thing to look back on and really question in that regard in the last many years.

But Gene has no feel for his customer base - which is basically made up of four types of stakeholders - the sort of National media/General University; old diehard alumni types; recent alumni types, and local sports fans who are ambivalent about BC or even maybe negative about BC but want to attend college sporting events.

The immediate argument to some degree is "Well, Boston is a sports town". I would agree with that, but it's also arguably the greatest college city in the world.

The frustration that I have is that the Athletic Department has no strategy other than to portray stability. For some reason they believe that the best marketing pitch for the University is that basically year in, year out, you get the same thing from us. No matter what the sport. Gene loves the consistency mantra.

To me, Boston fans eat up the history angle. The Red Sox/Celtics/Bruins are all about history. Patriots not so much, though it will be that way in the future...but why are we not focusing Flutie to Hasselbeck (or skip him) to Ryan now to Chase the Chosen....from Romo to Boyd to Herzy to St Luke? Or OL University (pick the current guy you want to focus on)....People eat that stuff up. Instead it's the Dan Duquette "More days in first place" regime.

I almost wonder whether you need an empty suit to be the face of the franchise and let someone with a brain do the actual work. But this guy inspires no one to want to attend games. Shit, you could promote Kevin Rogers this year....

Hoops - last time you had a freshman class like this next years class was the Curley/Abram/Huckabee group - people remember that Elite 8 run, sell that stuff.

You can see why Tom O'Brien lasted so long with this group - these guys are the athletic department equivalent of Tom O'Brien, competent but ultimately afraid of their own shadows...

Excellent 13th post
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy