Coach Flip Mention

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coach Flip Mention

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:19 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:he's such a better poster when he has a filter imposed on him.

It's true.

In other news, every day that goes by without a public statement from GDF that he doesn't want the Vols job has to be a good thing, I would think.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:16 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:he's such a better poster when he has a filter imposed on him.

and a new audience that laps up his cut-and-paste charms as being new and fresh.

i do enjoy that he still has to take swipes at us even though those guys have no idea what he's talking about. talk about narcissism

Kinda like you finding him over on a UT site and posting it over here?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:18 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

and a new audience that laps up his cut-and-paste charms as being new and fresh.

i do enjoy that he still has to take swipes at us even though those guys have no idea what he's talking about. talk about narcissism

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:23 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:ATL - What's the latest word on ticket sales?

If he says anything above brutal I'd be shocked.

Some :skank called me the other day asking why I didn't renew my ticket sales despite numerous deadlines passing... i have only a pair of tickets so if they are hounding me things must be really bad.

Hansen's story is familiar. I haven't heard anything specific from the ticket office. I know that all the blame is being pointed at the schedule, the economy, and HD TV. No one blames the product on the field, the face of the program or the game day experience.

I just can't see buying season tickets when three of the games are Duke, WF and UMass. I'm fine playing those teams because they should be easy wins but they won't sell tickets.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:30 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

I'm thinking TRE did not wander to the UT site on his own, but was rather informed by one of the select few included on a BCC email from the mysterious stranger sent early Wednesday morning that included a link to the post in question.

I am not TRE's mole.
Last edited by DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:33 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:anybody want to go fagtagging?

the mysterious stranger is rocking the tennessee board hard.

EDIT - you have to apply for access. i'm think my alias listing may keep me behind the velvet ropes

One would think that a person who detests Flipper would want to encourage UT to hire him, not wave giant red flags of warning. But since when has logic applied to the man?

He needs a new board to cut and paste the same posts about GDF and he's banned on every BC board, so I guess this is his plan now.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:41 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Nothing unusual about checking out the board of a team that is supposedly considering making a run at your school's AD.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:58 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Nothing unusual about checking out the board of a team that is supposedly considering making a run at your school's AD.

Not at all. There's also nothing unusual about snark concerning the pignocchio-homogeddoner relationship.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:01 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Not at all. There's also nothing unusual about snark concerning the pignocchio-homogeddoner relationship.

Nope, if anything it's the right thing to do.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:53 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:without him here i don't know what to think about all these stories that are going on right now related to a some other school needing an athletic director and our school having an athletic director and maybe our athletic director could be their athletic director... and that other story about bc doing that stuff with those things/people and all those other really important stories

oh well, back to the summer of dicks... you know since good old congressman weiner's proven that the mtbsc are the only people interested in talking about weiner.

in other news, i'm sad to see that he hasn't died yet. that is all

how could you say that about rep. weiner? his wife is pregnant for god's sake. :dildodog
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:40 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:ATL - What's the latest word on ticket sales?

If he says anything above brutal I'd be shocked.

Some :skank called me the other day asking why I didn't renew my ticket sales despite numerous deadlines passing... i have only a pair of tickets so if they are hounding me things must be really bad.

Hansen's story is familiar. I haven't heard anything specific from the ticket office. I know that all the blame is being pointed at the schedule, the economy, and HD TV. No one blames the product on the field, the face of the program or the game day experience.

I have received this call as well a couple of times from a guy telling me that we have FSU on a Thursday night! I live in New York City so FSU on a Thursday night is not a + for me. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:46 pm

Poll on Vols Page:

Who should be the next AD?
Poll ends on 06/14/2011
Gene Defilippo: 52 votes
Charles Davis: 28 votes
David Blackburn: 31 votes
Sam Bartholomew: 11 votes
Condredge Holloway: 24 votes
Phil Fulmer: 66 votes

Please take Gene, I love flux. Plus I want someone with no loyalties to pick the next football coach 3 years from now.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:22 pm

GDF is in much of the same position as TOB was when he left for NCS.
GDF could stay at BC for 5 more years and hope that he retires with Bill Flynn type of status. Or, he can work those same 5 years and retire with twice the money.
Just like TOB, GDF probably thinks he is under-appreciated. And, just like TOB, the good times that he road are coming to an end.
I personally believe the disasterous tix sales and donations this year hurts him. I believe that the mess he created of the FB program is catching up with him. I think that the BC job has never been as unattractive to him as it is today.

So... let's say Billy Leahy fires GDF tonight for expressing interest in Tennessee. Who do we get? I don't have a freaking clue. So... I'll spitball some ideas.

There has been a very prominent trend to hire ADs with no sports admin background, but solid business background. Take the ADs at Michigan and ND for example or the PAC10 commish. This trend really opens the world to BC... as they could hire a successful, aggressive wheeler-and-dealer to head the organization (something the Northeast has in spades). So, BC can go grab a Boisi or Gabelli or Paul Fireman or even Gregory Barber.

If you want an executive with sports connections (though not necessarily college), you could look at a guy like Ray Anderson from the NFL (who played for Stanford and graduated Harvard Law) or one of the ESPN execs with BC ties (like akum Traug Keller).

If they want to take someone from the world of college administration, I'd propose someone like Mark Womack (SEC) or Mark Rudner (B10)... both are career Conference Office guys who were in charge of the Media Contracts awarded to their respective conferences. Another interesting (though older) suggestion would be Chris Hill. He is a Jersey guy who spent the past 25 years at Utah and has overseen their amazing success. However, he is also a devout Catholic. If you are looking for a name of someone who would definitely take the job and is qualified to handle it... I'd mention Sean Frazier (who is a minority, from Long Island, is Deputy AD at Wisconsin, was the AD at Clarkson and Merrimack (although the Merrimack split may not have been amicable) and spent time at Maine) who specializes in hockey and has now taken BB under his wing at Wisco, but also played FB for Bama.

Ultimately, BC would do a real legit nationwide search. They would tap into their connections with trustee Bob Kraft and alum Mara. What I would really want is someone who will let coaches coach... bring fun back to gameday... win back fans... hire the best available regardless of price or expectations... and perhaps most importantly, aggressively position BC as the most desirable school in the ACC (should we run into another conference go-around).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:52 am

If GDF does pursue the UT job, he should be fired. Fair's fair, right?? At least Jags was trying to move up to the NFL, not going after another college job.

It's ironic in that Gene let TOB walk and fired Skinner, both of whom did a lot of good things for BC but who were past their sell-by date (several years past in TOB's case). Gene is probably in the same situation now himself. I do think he's done some good work here (the ACC move, staying as far away from Jerry as possible) but it's time for some fresh blood. Interest in BC athletics as a whole, aside from hockey, has seriously stagnated the last few years--even with a new, exciting basketball coach who brings a lot of the same things to the table in that sport that Jags did for football.

I really can't say I know a lot about the various potential AD candidates out there (never even heard of most of the guys HJS mentioned) but Frazier sounds like he would be almost a perfect fit for BC. Assistant AD at a school that has "big time" programs in all 3 major sports (and is also a good academic school), originally from Long Island, extensive hockey experience including 2 HEA schools, Clarkson, and HEA/WCHA/ECAC conference offices, currently on the NCAA hockey championship committee, and is a former Alabama football player to boot. UW is probably as "big time" as any school in the country gets taking football/hockey/hoops all into account, obviously you'd have to find out what he would bring to the table in terms of business acumen and coaching hires but his resume seems like a pretty damn good fit for us. Move Spaz upstairs to assistant AD for football operations and you've got a win-win.

I question how you can be so sure that we'll conduct a legit search for a new AD, though. My worry if Gene leaves is that you'd end up with the Spaz hire part 2. By most accounts the Mickey Mouse-ification of BC athletics starts from Fr. Leahy, and if someone who doesn't believe BC sports should be a big deal is in charge of hiring the new AD we're most likely going to get someone who believes the same.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:06 am

The reason Jags got fired is that he and GDF had an agreement that Jags would be at BC for a few years before looking around. GDF has been at BC for a while thus has earned the right to look around. I'm not GDF fan but let's not confuse facts.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:20 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The reason Jags got fired is that he and GDF had an agreement that Jags would be at BC for a few years before looking around. GDF has been at BC for a while thus has earned the right to look around. I'm not GDF fan but let's not confuse facts.

Is this supposed to be in red?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:22 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:I question how you can be so sure that we'll conduct a legit search for a new AD, though. My worry if Gene leaves is that you'd end up with the Spaz hire part 2. By most accounts the Mickey Mouse-ification of BC athletics starts from Fr. Leahy, and if someone who doesn't believe BC sports should be a big deal is in charge of hiring the new AD we're most likely going to get someone who believes the same.

The Mickey-Mousification of Boston College is 100% attributable to GDF. Hell... I view it as the most enduring part of Coach Flip's legacy.

Fr. Leahy is agnostic towards college athletics. His #1 criteria will be to hire someone who will run a clean program and keep graduation rates up. He wants nothing to do with the negative press the school received from the Department as he took office.

That said, I've heard that, during his time at BC, Fr. Leahy has learned how sports are woven in at BC. He has seen first-hand the benefits that come to the school from it (see ACC Academic Consortium). He knows that the donors expect winning (though not dominant) teams. He gets that.

But, I think he also thinks it is a bit silly and far down the list of what a University President should care about. As a result, the Board will be running the search. He will certainly interview the finalists (and may ultimately determine which is chosen (not unlike the FB search when he chose TOB over Edsall and Gilbride)). But, we have very capable and connected web of benefactors at BC (like John Mara, Bob Kraft and John Buehler). I am confident that they will be able to find qualified candidates.

It should be noted that Fr. Leahy’s ambivalence towards athletics and the complacent nature of our fanbase makes the job pretty attractive. Whoever gets it will have autonomy to run the programs the way he wants (and maybe even be called Coach).

But, everyone should remember one other thing. While the present trend is to hire a Jack Connor’s-type, the AD job often goes to whoever is the best at fundraising. In that realm, it could be someone who the school believes has a good rapport with the donors and alumni. So, we can’t be entirely surprised if they look seriously at Flutie, York or even Spaz.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:35 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:I question how you can be so sure that we'll conduct a legit search for a new AD, though. My worry if Gene leaves is that you'd end up with the Spaz hire part 2. By most accounts the Mickey Mouse-ification of BC athletics starts from Fr. Leahy, and if someone who doesn't believe BC sports should be a big deal is in charge of hiring the new AD we're most likely going to get someone who believes the same.

The Mickey-Mousification of Boston College is 100% attributable to GDF. Hell... I view it as the most enduring part of Coach Flip's legacy.

dominant) teams. He gets that.

But, everyone should remember one other thing. While the present trend is to hire a Jack Connor’s-type, the AD job often goes to whoever is the best at fundraising. In that realm, it could be someone who the school believes has a good rapport with the donors and alumni. So, we can’t be entirely surprised if they look seriously at Flutie, York or even Spaz.

Spaz? Have you ever met him or been to a fund raising event with him?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:39 am

My worry (which is a combination of things I've heard from people and simply a gut feeling) is that Fr. Leahy doesn't want to deal with the inconveniences that accompany a big-time athletics programs--the risk of an OSU-type situation, tens of thousands of people descending on the campus 6-7 Saturdays a year not just to watch a football game but to sit around drinking for hours upon hours, occasional campus "disturbances", etc.

As a BC football and basketball fan I'd love to have York as AD, as a BC hockey fan I wouldn't be thrilled about it. Not only does he have a number more years left on the bench but he would cast a long shadow over the next hockey coach (this hasn't been an issue at Wisconsin or Oregon, but while Alvarez and Bellotti were both excellent coaches they were not Jerry York). I don't think Flutie would want the job and Spaz is certainly a BC guy who still can contribute to the football program, just probably not as the head football coach and IMO not as the AD either.

Not saying he's the answer, but we might want to consider a BC guy who is very media-savvy and whose resume is eerily similar to that of USC's new AD--Mike Mayock.

I would have 4 major questions for any prospective AD:

1. What is your standard of success for the football and basketball programs, and how much leeway will you give the coaches who were hired by your predecessor?

2. What will be your strategy with regards to the hockey program? (The correct answer here is "stay away from it other than to provide support when requested, and allow CJY to hand-pick his successor when he retires")

3. How do you plan on growing BC's brand and fanbase, particularly among local non-alums?

4. How do you plan to improve the football gameday situation and what will you do to work with the school administration and the cities of Boston and Newton to expand tailgating hours and open up new areas for tailgating, preferably on a pay lot basis?
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:23 am

Those are a fan's question. They would (at best) be tangentially discussed during the cursory interviews with the search committee.

Leahy will ask about compliance... about academic focus... about fundraising... he should also ask about positioning BC should another conference-palooza happen.

Do you think it is a coincidence that GDF who has ruled BC Athletics with complete autonomy is suddenly looking at a job he passed on 7 years ago???? I have always said that Leahy/the Board never cared about whatever Coach Flip was doing in athletics so long as that there (a) wasn't a scandal and (b) the money continued to flow (via tix and donations). Once either of those happened, GDF would have to start answering to people. With the FB program struggling from his meddling and tix sales and donations driving right the fuck off a cliff... he might as well go to Tenn because he would have as much freedom there as he will at the Heights. I think this all was quite evident from his overly defensive answers about being Coach Flip and hiring Rogers. In the past (like when Jags and Spaz hired their staff), he talked openly about helping interview candidates and using his connections to find the right guys. Now... with Rogers... a guy he knows... he never even fucking talked to him until he arrived on campus??????

Fr. Leahy realizes that there is some importance to a strong athletic department. He ain't gonna sell the school's soul and he certainly won't do anything that might ever bring another scandal to the Heights. But, he knows that there is a direct link between money and applications and he has seen what conference affiliation can impact academics (as BC's research dollars have improved with the cross-studies done through the ACC Consortium). Fr. Leahy's first impression of big time college athletics wasn't great... but that 15 years ago. And... it should be noted that under those dire conditions and when his disdain for sports was at an all time high... he still managed to hire GDF, Skinner and TOB.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:51 am

I think not bringing another scandal here should be pretty much the #1 priority. GDF has done a decent job and leaves whoever the new AD is in a fairly good position. No matter who the AD is, I'll be honest with you, the parking and tailgating situation isn't going to improve. I'm fairly convinced there's not a damn thing GDF or anyone else is going to be able to do to fix that situation. Look around BC. Where exactly are you going to open up more parking spots?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:56 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I think not bringing another scandal here should be pretty much the #1 priority. GDF has done a decent job and leaves whoever the new AD is in a fairly good position. No matter who the AD is, I'll be honest with you, the parking and tailgating situation isn't going to improve. I'm fairly convinced there's not a damn thing GDF or anyone else is going to be able to do to fix that situation. Look around BC. Where exactly are you going to open up more parking spots?

Agreed on the parking/tailgating issues. The only hope was construction of new lots or a garage on the Brighton campus, and the Brighton moonbats made sure that wasn't in the plans. If anything, the Master Plan is going to reduce the number of parking spaces on campus.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:29 am

I think the whole "scandal" thing is being WAY overblown here. Everyone is acting like if the school doesn't hire the absolute perfect guardian a gambling scandal is immediately going to break out and bury the school like some ancient plague that has been kept dormant.

Newsflash: Something like that could happen under anyone's watch.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:35 am

I think the first priority should be to bring another scandal in. We are in dire need of some publicity, and the free cars could be a good recruiting tool.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I think not bringing another scandal here should be pretty much the #1 priority. GDF has done a decent job and leaves whoever the new AD is in a fairly good position. No matter who the AD is, I'll be honest with you, the parking and tailgating situation isn't going to improve. I'm fairly convinced there's not a damn thing GDF or anyone else is going to be able to do to fix that situation. Look around BC. Where exactly are you going to open up more parking spots?

Agreed on the parking/tailgating issues. The only hope was construction of new lots or a garage on the Brighton campus, and the Brighton moonbats made sure that wasn't in the plans. If anything, the Master Plan is going to reduce the number of parking spaces on campus.

Want to know how the parking/tailgating issues could improve????
1. Allow anyone to enter Shea... even without a ticket.
2. Don't shutdown access to Shea in the last hour before the game.
3. Don't start rushing people into the game until 10 minutes before the game.
4. Have a sitdown with the Staties and fire anyone who has a complaint of being heavy-handed or disrespectful to the paying customer.

Sincere appreciation for those who donate and attend games would go a long effing way too.

You could also have a DBS while rewarding long-suffering fans. For instance... DBS is supplemented by legacy. For instance, lets say the DBS for a seat is a $1000 donation. But, the school offsets that amount by $25 for each year a season ticket is bought. So, if you've held season tickets for 20 years, your DBS for renewal of that seat is now just $500.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:21 am

Also:

-Allow walk-up tailgating on Brighton and Newton campuses and in the satellite lots, and attempt to gain usage of more satellite lots closer to campus (how about the shopping center on the corner of Hammond and Rt. 9?)
-Get rid of the Staties, rely on BCPD and rent-a-cops (with Newton PD for backup if necessary) for security
-Expand the tailgating hours....contrary to popular belief this can be done, it will just take a little bit of negotiation
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:03 pm

I asked BC for an official statement from Gene.

“While I am a Tennessee graduate (Master's Degree) and love UT and Knoxville, my heart is here at Boston College. I am very fortunate to have the only job I want. Anne and I will remain at BC for many years to come."

http://atleagle.blogspot.com/2011/06/of ... ne-re.html
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:21 pm

ATL, why the fuck did you go and do that???
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:06 pm

This sucks. Now we're stuck with Flipolean Bone-a-fart forever.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:08 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:Also:

-Allow walk-up tailgating on Brighton and Newton campuses and in the satellite lots, and attempt to gain usage of more satellite lots closer to campus (how about the shopping center on the corner of Hammond and Rt. 9?)
-Get rid of the Staties, rely on BCPD and rent-a-cops (with Newton PD for backup if necessary) for security
-Expand the tailgating hours....contrary to popular belief this can be done, it will just take a little bit of negotiation

As much as I would love to get rid of the Staties, I don't think this can be undone. You know what these fucks would do, there would be DUI check points surrounding Alumni on gameday. Instead, just get rid of the 30min rule so they don't have anything to get mad about.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium