Was BC win the last straw for Bobby Bowden?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Was BC win the last straw for Bobby Bowden?

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:26 am

domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Re: Was BC win the last straw for Bobby Bowden?

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:34 am

The calls from the fanbase are getting louder and louder.

F$U has had the same problems the past couple of years.
1) Inconsistency, they blow out BYU and then need a late drive to beat Jacksonville St. I think the inability to get his players up for a game lies on the coach (we all saw his pregame speech against us last year, I almost fell asleep) but it also speaks volumes to the person they bring in. They think they can just show up and beat people without putting in the work.
2) Stupid play, they might be able to recruit all of the SPEED in the world but they are just f*cking idiots. Last year against them on our 9 minute ice the game drive, the drive should have been over around our own 45 as they stopped us on third down but they got a personal foul unnecessary roughness. Last year they lead the ACC in penalties and again on Saturday they 7 penalties for 79 yards.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:44 am

Another huge problem for Bobby Bowden is that one of his rivals, Florida, has become the best program in college football under Urban Meyer and his other main rival, Miami, looks to be on its way back to consistent top 10-15 status as well. That means that FSU is going to be a distant 3rd in the pecking order for the top Florida talent. Hell, even South Florida may steal some FSU players every now and then.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:49 am

From a BC perspective I want him to stay as long as humanly possible. Not only would a legit FSU(what it could be) in the Atlantic be a really tough game every year, maybe close to what Miami used to be in the OBE, but also if Bobby retires then Joe-Pa will too and we might end up with a legit national title contender sharing the Northeast with us.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:57 am

The problem at FSU... and at Maryland... is that they went ahead with that stoopid Head-Coach-In-Waiting nonsense. It (a) causes some dissention amongst the staff as loyalties are split between the in-coming and out-going head coaches and (b) means that you are promoting from within even though the head coach was fired becuase your program sucked... you would NEVER do that if you weren't contractually so required.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:01 am

HJS {l Wrote}:The problem at FSU... and at Maryland... is that they went ahead with that stoopid Head-Coach-In-Waiting nonsense. It (a) causes some dissention amongst the staff as loyalties are split between the in-coming and out-going head coaches and (b) means that you are promoting from within even though the head coach was fired becuase your program sucked... you would NEVER do that if you weren't contractually so required.

I mostly agree with you, I wonder though how much Bobby fucks things up from within though. Does he know he's a figurehead? and is the lack of discipline something that is directly caused by him(in his CEO type role)? I think the coach in waiting concept is retarded also, but Jimbo Fisher might be all right if he could get rid of the old man's meddling, or maybe not, maybe he already runs the show himself and the current FSU is exactly what the Jimbo Fisher FSU will look like.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:22 am

I would love for Bobby to stick around and sink the program, but getting Fisher on the hook for another five years is a blessing for BC. There is no way he is getting FSU back to the where it was. He's Dabo Swinney with a better recruiting territory.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:25 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}: He's Dabo Swinney with a better recruiting territory.

I enjoyed this comparison, but it begs the question, is Spaz, Dabo with a worse recruiting territory?

I certainly hope not.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:28 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I enjoyed this comparison, but it begs the question, is Spaz, Dabo with a worse recruiting territory?

I certainly hope not.

I thought everyone decided he's TOB with a mustache.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:31 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I certainly hope not.

I thought everyone decided he's TOB with a mustache.

Well of course he is, but he could turn out to be some even more complex amalgamation of mediocrity, we'll know soon enough.

(I am trying to get on board with the Spaz regime, I honestly am pleasantly surprised by some aspects of his coaching so far.)
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby weinerdog on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:32 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I would love for Bobby to stick around and sink the program, but getting Fisher on the hook for another five years is a blessing for BC. There is no way he is getting FSU back to the where it was. He's Dabo Swinney with a better recruiting territory.

That wouldn't necessarily be a blessing. Dabo is 2-0 against BC.
"...and, more importantly, me."
--Gene DeFilippo, January 7, 2009.
weinerdog
McGuinn Hall

Postby talon on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:45 am

HJS {l Wrote}:The problem at FSU... and at Maryland... is that they went ahead with that stoopid Head-Coach-In-Waiting nonsense. It (a) causes some dissention amongst the staff as loyalties are split between the in-coming and out-going head coaches and (b) means that you are promoting from within even though the head coach was fired becuase your program sucked... you would NEVER do that if you weren't contractually so required.

I can understand the Head Coach In Waiting for a coach that's near retirement age. Assuming FSU didn't suck, a recruit may want to play for FSU, but might be concerned that Bowden won't be there for the players four years. If the program still has some success, it provides a sense of continuity.

I don't understand why Maryland's doing this. Freidgen's not a legend and he's not really near retirement age. Maybe they're worried recruits will assume he'll probably die of a heart attack in the next 3 years.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:52 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I certainly hope not.

No, Spaz is not considered the hot young, energy guy with the silver tongue for recruits. TOB with a mustache works for now. Once we know where this is truly headed we can come up with better analogies for Luigi. I am hoping it is Bill Walsh with hair dye.

And although Swinney is 2-0 against BC, I am glad he is at Clemson. As I've said before, that program has potential but he is not waking the sleeping giant.

Think of it this way, during most of TOB's tenure in the Big East, Miami and VT were definite losses each year. Right now there is no program on our schedule that we mark as a L in August. Given their facilities, histories, and "can the kid sign his name?" recruiting policies, both FSU and Clemson could become annual losses for us. Thankfully their ADs have handicapped their programs and made the division an annual crap shoot.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby weinerdog on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:37 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Think of it this way, during most of TOB's tenure in the Big East, Miami and VT were definite losses each year. Right now there is no program on our schedule that we mark as a L in August. Given their facilities, histories, and "can the kid sign his name?" recruiting policies, both FSU and Clemson could become annual losses for us. Thankfully their ADs have handicapped their programs and made the division an annual crap shoot.

Fair point, but if :spaz3 really does turn out to be :toby 2.0, we may as well scribble VT back in as an annual L. This Saturday will tell all. If we see a re-emergence of the 2005 gameplan, I'm mailing a pile of fresh shit to Napoleon's office.
"...and, more importantly, me."
--Gene DeFilippo, January 7, 2009.
weinerdog
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:43 pm

talon {l Wrote}:

I can understand the Head Coach In Waiting for a coach that's near retirement age. Assuming FSU didn't suck, a recruit may want to play for FSU, but might be concerned that Bowden won't be there for the players four years. If the program still has some success, it provides a sense of continuity.

I don't understand why Maryland's doing this. Freidgen's not a legend and he's not really near retirement age. Maybe they're worried recruits will assume he'll probably die of a heart attack in the next 3 years.

Not having a head-coach-in-waiting certainly hasn't hampered diaper-wearing Paterno (either on the field or in recruiting). I think naming Fisher has probably hurt Bobby's chances of an easy exit while simultaneously putting Fisher behind the eight-ball.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:29 pm

Bowden was done after this year and it looks like they are about to make it official.

He failed his Music Appreciation Class at Phoenix.

My wife said for $350, she woulda given him an A.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:01 am

Hello, this is the Red Buttons Retirement Village calling for Mr. Bowden, your Garnet and Gold 8HP scooter is ready!
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium