Old BC pics

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Old BC pics

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:18 pm

wow.. Memory Lane.

Too bad we can't do the Time Tunnel deal and go back in time. The 74 Time Machine....

I can see telling Canty who would discuss the Bruins for 58 minutes of Computer Science...

"Hey, Mr. Canty, one day there will be portable small computers you can sit on your desk and lap and command keys and your stupid fucking computer cards run in the basement for my C+ will be obsolete with new computer program language and we will all send message through the air!"

Canty.. "Fucking drunken NY Ranger asshole!"

Yup...

Ya think I should buy this Microsoft stock at $1.26 or Yankee tickets?

AOL online...WTF is that?

Yahoo? what a bunch of Yahoo's, yeah like that is worth something!

WTF would want to listen to sports events on a computer?

Yup....74 blew em all off.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:05 pm

Coke head.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:25 am

campion {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Now, I like all the old unis better?

I must be old.

Concannon was a Round 1-- #1 pick.

I like the 3 if it was maroon and the shoulder stripes gold.

Thanks.

Here's what those uniforms looked like. This is Larry Marzetti being sacked vs. Syracuse, 1964. The game was a huge BC upset, by the way.

was it a bigger upset than texas or yale? THIS IS IMPORTANT

No. Those were both bigger. But the 64 Syracuse win demonstrated that BC could win without Jack Concannon.

That Syracuse game (which I attended) was a huge upset, but also a thorough fluke that prefigured Hail Flutie. BC led for most of the game by bottling up a powerful Syracuse offense, until Syracuse went ahead on a very late touchdown. The game appeared over then, but on the final play, Marzetti heaved the ball down the middle on a crossing pattern, a tall BC receiver made a leaping catch as the final gun sounded, the Syracuse safeties behind him collided and knocked each other down, and the receiver trotted into the end zone untouched for the winning score. It was a unique moment; nothing else remotely as exciting happened in football during my four undergraduate years at BC. (Ironically, Marzetti -- a very erratic passer -- was soon replaced as starting QB by Eddie Foley, who played the position with considerable success for that season and the following one. He wasn't as good as his son Glenn, but he was an accurate passer with an adequate if not especially strong arm.)
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby JConman on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:32 am

campion {l Wrote}:While Don Hasselbeck might be responsible for forcing Reebok Red on BC, the problem really started with Joe Yukica who changed the uniforms and the color from maroon to red as soon as he got to BC. He claimed that maroon was "too dark for TV." As though BC was on tv all the time in 1971...

Mike Esposito scores vs,. Villanova, 1973.

Wow, didn't realize how red those unis were way back then. They look like the 49ers.
JConman
Carney Hall

Postby Mosi on Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:16 pm

AMDG {l Wrote}:
Mosi {l Wrote}: I don't recall but I know that we didn't play Texas HERE twice during those years, I may have been drunk but I would have remembered that

and Campy, I think that the '65 game at the Point was the first road trip that I went on also, small f'ing world all I remember is the stoplights every 20 feet in Pokieskie (sp)

BC lost to Texas 42-19 on 9/14/74. This was the first game that the band wore band uniforms instead of the blazers and slacks worn in prior years.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/acc/boston_college/yearly_results.php?year=1970

man i must have really been stinkin shitfaced as I have no memory of that game at all

edit, readin '74 post about the td on the 1st play brings it all back. I think it was Earl Campbell's first game as well
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:37 pm

campion {l Wrote}:Back in the day cars only parked on Shea Field after everyplace else on campus was filled. 1974.

I am 37th from the right in the 14th row.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Brooklyneagle on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:55 pm

BC-Syracuse, opening day, 1964

Thanks, Campion, for the memories.

But memory plays tricks on us all. Concannon had indeed graduated, but I don't think he was anything like the #1 draft pick.

True, BC had led late in the fourth quarter, but Syracuse (ranked at the time 12th or 13th, I believe) scored and then tied the game on a two-point conversion run in by their quarterback (whose name, I think was Mahley). Not the first time we'd had trouble stopping this guy on the ground. Boy, was I crestfallen. I'd already suffered through three hard-fought loses to Syracuse, at least two of which we could easily have won. Syracuse, not too many years past its national championship, was an elite program. BC was not. A scrap of craved legitimacy had slipped through our fingers, yet again.

After the kickoff, we had the ball near midfield with something like a minute or less left. We ran the ball once or twice and appeared to be playing it safe for the tie. Agony in the old wooden Alumni stands. (In those days, if regulation ended with the score tied, that was it.)

Then, Larry Marzetti heaved that pitiful, wobbly pass toward BC captain, the late Bill Cronin, with 12 seconds left. No fewer than three Syracuse defenders were on him, but they knocked each other down, and Cronin ran untouched the twenty or so yards into the endzone. Miracle. Disbelief. No yellow flags.

There was enough time after the touchdown that we had to kick off to Syracuse. One of the Syracuse players tried to start a fight, but the game was over. I was there too, and that's how I remember it. It was, by far, the biggest sports thrill of my years at BC.

Some years later, I played a touch football game on the Washington Mall against Marzetti and other BC guys, I forget who won, but the interesting part is that Marzetti was then a Washington lawyer, if I’m not mistaken. No apparel or recreation management majors on BC teams then or now.

Speaking of Concannon and memory tricks, many years ago I was working in NY with a guy from Penn State, who claimed he had seen Concannon play against the Nittany Lions in Happy Valley. Swore up and down. Saw it with his own eyes. Now, of course, I knew very well that we had not played Penn State in the Concannon years. Told him to look it up when he went home. But the day of that argument was either his or my last day at that job. We would never see one another again. But, a few years later, by freakish accident, I ran into him as he was getting off an elevator somewhere in NY, and I was getting on. As we passed each other, he had time to say just one thing, “You were right.” Doesn’t happen very often.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:14 pm

campion {l Wrote}:Here are a couple of pictures of QB Ken Smith. People forget that he was the QB who beat Texas in 76. All they remember are his problems. I was in a couple of classes and a whole lot of booze ups with Ken. He was a talented kid who fell like a stone. A very sad story of self destruction. Let's just say that Ken was the Lindsay Lohan of BC quarterbacks, and leave it at that. I have no idea where he is today, but I think of him often and wonder how he's doing.

This is pretty irresponsible campy. But I'm sure you already knew that.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:14 pm

Camper what year did you graduate?

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Mosi on Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:36 pm

Campy, I seem to recall that Broadway Kenny did some time in prison in Louisanna

and if you boozed with Broadway Kenny, I think you and I must have shared a pint or two somewhere in the mods during the day
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:15 am

campion {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:Here are a couple of pictures of QB Ken Smith. People forget that he was the QB who beat Texas in 76. All they remember are his problems. I was in a couple of classes and a whole lot of booze ups with Ken. He was a talented kid who fell like a stone. A very sad story of self destruction. Let's just say that Ken was the Lindsay Lohan of BC quarterbacks, and leave it at that. I have no idea where he is today, but I think of him often and wonder how he's doing.

This is pretty irresponsible campy. But I'm sure you already knew that.

I have done nothing irresponsible. This isn't like your unsubstaniated calumnies against a certain BC player last Fall. Ken Smith's issues were in the newspapers and all over talk radio and the TV news for a month.

Far from unsubstantiated. Yet there is a huge difference. One day at a time...
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby 1413overut on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:43 pm

I witnessed some of Smith's drinking as well...Campy - 1980? Me too, and since Jim Cotter was my Guidance Counselor as well I'm guessing we are classmates from back there too...

I don't think many backs ever ran toss sweep better than Esposito.
1413overut
n00b

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:49 pm

Eddie Eagle's real last name is Belfour, and he got caught drunk driving in a Fubu shirt and offered the cop "a billion dollars" to let him go.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:11 am

Keep the old pictures coming Campy
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:03 am

Thanks Campion - these pictures are enjoyable to look at
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:28 am

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Thanks Campion - these pictures are enjoyable to look at

I like old BC sports photos. Do you like old BC sports photos?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby NDubEagle on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:35 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Thanks Campion - these pictures are enjoyable to look at

I like old BC sports photos. Do you like old BC sports photos?

I do too. Thanks for doing this Mr. C.
NDubEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby westcoastbernie on Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:38 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}: I would love to be buried on one of those. I wish it had a small BC logo in the upper shoulder.

They did have a BC seal on the right shoulder. The team is carrying first year coach Jim Miller off the field after defeating Holy Cross, 1962.

I was thinking in front, but that seal is even cooler.

Maroon Jersey, Gold numbers, Gold/white/Gold piping, BC Insigina that I ahve a patch for in my drawer on one shoulder and the interlocking old BC on the other........I could retire making thousands of those beauties.

That, that is a uni.

BC brings back the old shoulder logo.
westcoastbernie
Carney Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:19 pm

You revived a thread that sat dormant on the interwebs for 9 and a half years. Is that a record?
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:38 pm

DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:40 pm

DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium