Goldout/Herzy honor/GameDay etc

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Goldout/Herzy honor/GameDay etc

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:56 pm

I posted this on the blog and usually don't believe in the winning on emotion, but does anyone else think we win this week because we will be so hyped and things will just go our way?
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Re: Goldout/Herzy honor/GameDay etc

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:57 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I posted this on the blog and usually don't believe in the winning on emotion, but does anyone else think we win this week because we will be so hyped and things will just go our way?

No.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby talon on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:59 pm

honestly, I'm worried that all this will be more of a distraction than anything.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:02 pm

Under The Person That NYCEagle Does Not Want Me To Mention, I believe the team would use this to play with more emotion. I don't see that happening with Coach Sadface.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby 15Radnor on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:04 pm

These things usually backfire with us.
94, thanks for the motivation!
15Radnor
Carney Hall

Postby swimsmart on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:05 pm

Yes, emotion will play a big role this weekend, which favors BC.
swimsmart
n00b

Postby barstoolbcfan on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:09 pm

I what kind of world does Emotion trump Speed. Get real.
HOW COOL IS THIS!?!!!
barstoolbcfan
n00b

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:13 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Under The Person That NYCEagle Does Not Want Me To Mention, I believe the team would use this to play with more emotion. I don't see that happening with Coach Sadface.

The sooner you accept that we are what we are, you'll get rid of your negativity. Man, the negativity in this town SUCKS!
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:20 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I posted this on the blog and usually don't believe in the winning on emotion, but does anyone else think we win this week because we will be so hyped and things will just go our way?

I don't know if we'll win, but I'm pretty sure we'll be jacked to hell and will manhandle the Seminoles. If we lose, it will be due to mistakes.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:25 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
I don't know if we'll win, but I'm pretty sure we'll be jacked to hell and will manhandle the Seminoles. If we lose, it will be due to mistakespoor coaching.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby barstoolbcfan on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:29 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
I don't know if we'll win, but I'm pretty sure we'll be jacked to hell and will manhandle the Seminoles. If we lose, it will be due to mistakespoor coaching.

careful here, bignick goes to gridiron dinners. rah-rah.
HOW COOL IS THIS!?!!!
barstoolbcfan
n00b

Postby 31southst on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:32 pm

In games like this when I think we will be very fired up, I hope we start on defense. I tend to think emotion translate to better play on defense than on offense. This seemed to happen a lot with Matt Ryan (when he was too hyped up his early passes would sail).
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby buconvict on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:46 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Under The Person That NYCEagle Does Not Want Me To Mention, I believe the team would use this to play with more emotion. I don't see that happening with Coach Sadface.

+1...

So +1 is cool again?

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:48 pm

No.

Before the season started, I predicted a BC win in this game due to FSU's graduation losses and coaching woes. Now that I realize BC's coaches are no better, I'm not so confident. They desperately need a pass rush in this game in order to stand a chance, and I don't trust Spaz to turn the defense loose. In fact, I think the cushion will be in full effect Saturday.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:05 pm

I think we win this if we don't turtle like we did at Clemson. We have the talent. Our team will be fired up. Say what you want about Spaz and his motivational skills, but this game is being framed as getting behind Herzy, and it's pretty apparent Herzy is a guy that both offense and defense will walk into a burning building for.

This could be a good momentum swing for our season. Clemson can be a ugly footnote at the beginning of the year rather than the standard.

Here's hoping.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby rceagles14 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:18 pm

campion {l Wrote}:I feel that if we can get an early lead and keep FSU from scoring we should win.

no shit? Ya think so?
rceagles14
n00b

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:23 pm

rceagles14 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:I feel that if we can get an early lead and keep FSU from scoring we should win.

no shit? Ya think so?

you called him out well there.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:27 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:

+1...

So +1 is cool again?

no - 10 demerits for quoting me

is that the word of the day? demerits...
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:29 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

+1...

So +1 is cool again?

15 demerits for asking that question, 15 more for quoting him.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:35 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

+1...

So +1 is cool again?

15 demerits for asking that question, 15 more for quoting him.

damn, i think i've accumulated like 50 demerits so far today... :whiteflag
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BigPete on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm

Whomever coined Coach Sadface has my mark. Genius.
BigPete
McGuinn Hall

Postby TampaDoubleEagle on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:57 pm

Sadly, no.

1) GameDay has been at BC before for BC/FSU, when we had better players and better coaches. We lost.
2) FSU seems to be better on the road than at home this year.
3) We seem to have a thing about beating FSU at home.
4) Aren't we like 4 for our last 4 in "big games" at our opponent's stadium? (I can think of ND "Green Jersey" and FSU "Blackout/Unconquered" off the top of my head, but I seem to think there were others.) Not seeing any real boost for the home team due to hype. May even work the other way.
5) Emotion only carries you so far. Eventually, talent and coaching make the difference the overwhelming majority of the time.

Of course I hope I'm wrong about all of this.
TampaDoubleEagle
Carney Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:13 pm

BigPete {l Wrote}:Whomever coined Coach Sadface has my mark. Genius.

Thank you. It was a weak day at work but I'm glad I was productive at something today.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby janebc on Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:16 pm

TampaDoubleEagle {l Wrote}:

Sadly, no.

1) GameDay has been at BC before for BC/FSU, when we had better players and better coaches. We lost.
4) Aren't we like 4 for our last 4 in "big games" at our opponent's stadium? (I can think of ND "Green Jersey" and FSU "Blackout/Unconquered" off the top of my head, but I seem to think there were others.) Not seeing any real boost for the home team due to hype. May even work the other way.
5) Emotion only carries you so far. Eventually, talent and coaching make the difference the overwhelming majority of the time.

While I agree with several of your points, Tampa, I must resepctfully disagree on a couple: while I have certainly not been happy with what I have seen so far, I certainly do not have suffiecient evidence to call Spaz :toby 's inferior or Tranquill less than Nemo in the coaching department; while the Wake 4th quarter lead evaporation was classic :toby , at least Spaz, to the best of my knowledge, is not sitting his best talent on the bench; I also question whether QP was any better at the first FSU game than Shinskie is at this point.
janebc
McGuinn Hall

Postby TampaDoubleEagle on Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:34 pm

janebc {l Wrote}:
TampaDoubleEagle {l Wrote}:

Sadly, no.

While I agree with several of your points, Tampa, I must resepctfully disagree on a couple: while I have certainly not been happy with what I have seen so far, I certainly do not have suffiecient evidence to call Spaz :toby 's inferior or Tranquill less than Nemo in the coaching department; while the Wake 4th quarter lead evaporation was classic :toby , at least Spaz, to the best of my knowledge, is not sitting his best talent on the bench; I also question whether QP was any better at the first FSU game than Shinskie is at this point.

A fair quibble. So far, I do believe Tranquill < Bible, although I'm not a fan of either. But I'll accept your point that it's a bit early to pass judgment.

As for the personnel comparison, it's not just the QB's. I actually think Shinskie > QP. But I'll take the prior defense over the current defense and the prior O-line over what we've seen so far from this year's O-line. (As has been discussed to death, nearly the same O-line was a strength last year, so I'm still holding out hope that they return to form. SOON.)
TampaDoubleEagle
Carney Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:57 pm

Good news about Herzy in the last week, GameDay, Gold Out, Florida State at home. All that's missing is an amped up Alumni Stadium (or student section at least) and a big first play for the Eagles. Whether we come out on offense or defense for the first drive of the game, if there's big play like an interception or a touchdown to get the momentum going our way, I say things will look good.

:angrychicken
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby janebc on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:34 pm

Yes, I think we're all hoping about the O-line. And what I fear is that Spaz is looking very :toby -esque; of all the many things that drove me insane about :toby, keeping Matty and Paul Pete (and Mike Cloud, if my memory serves me) on the bench was the WORST; Spaz, at the very least, can't be accused of that.
janebc
McGuinn Hall

Postby apbc12 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:21 pm

I worry a bit about playing with too much emotion, especially with a young team. If the team comes in really hyped, then something goes wrong (say, early turnover or a big play from FSU's offense), I can see the emotion swinging 180 degrees.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby MoMoneyBC on Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:25 pm

Alumni is gonna be going nuts and looking crazy once it gets dark.
MoMoneyBC
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:36 pm

I'm expecting to hear a lot of

The only time I can remember whalepants standing up is two years ago F$U because they wouldn't want to ruin their khakis due to the monsoon.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Next