Butch-er Davis ...I mean WTF were you thinking?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Butch-er Davis ...I mean WTF were you thinking?

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:24 pm

I have watched football for 50 years....why the run and why not a FG with a great kicker.

Redemption with 1 second?

WTF?
Last edited by BCEagle74 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Re: Butch-er Davis ...I mean WTF Were you thinking?

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:26 pm

He should be fired no matter how it turns out.

Absolute TOBlundersesque clock management.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:31 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:He should be fired no matter how it turns out.

I don't think he intended for his players to run out onto the field for the FG before the QB spiking it...that mat be the special teams coach fault. The run may not have been a great call but it did get his FG kicker into good range.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby SignalDeafeningNoise on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:35 pm

Was just about to start this thread, but you beat me to it.
So, you run the ball with 16 seconds left, which isn't a bad call given that the D is protecting against the home run end zone pass. At worst you get maybe a little better field position, and minimize the int risk. BUT, when you run with 16 seconds left and have no timeouts, have your guys on the same page to spike the ball immediately. How does the field goal unit think they have any business on the field for the next play?
Butch just lucked out, but that was pretty disgraceful.
And speaking of disgraceful, Tennessee's unraveling as we speak...
Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, but it expresses a courage little seen in this day and age...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4OPr_QxoFg
SignalDeafeningNoise
n00b

Postby commavegarage on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:37 pm

What a game
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:41 pm

Then they missed a Kiwi late personal foul in the drive before the stupid run call.

The UNC RB then lies there like he is dead for 2 seconds and if there is an injury you are dead?

Butch needs to be fired.

NO FUCKING WAY YOU RUN. NONE.
Last edited by BCEagle74 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:44 pm

I think Butch had the spike called, but one of the FG unit lineman (#71 I think) came running onto the field, which caused a few other FG linemen to think "Oh shit, we gotta get out there too."

Somewhere Les Miles is watching this game, chewing on a piece of grass and nodding his head in approval.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:48 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

I don't think he intended for his players to run out onto the field for the FG before the QB spiking it...that mat be the special teams coach fault. The run may not have been a great call but it did get his FG kicker into good range.

Barth was already in good range and the penalty essentially wiped out the gain from the run. Kid's the best kicker around, let him kick and take no chances with the clock.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Re: Butch-er Davis ...I mean WTF were you thinking?

Postby SignalDeafeningNoise on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:57 pm

Wow. Absolute abortion...
Regardless of the undisciplined play on both sides, and the apparent lack of leadership, not a bad win in what was clearly a home game for TN. I loves to see me some SEC suckasses cryin' like babies on the sidelines...
Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, but it expresses a courage little seen in this day and age...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4OPr_QxoFg
SignalDeafeningNoise
n00b

Postby janebc on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:57 pm

74 beat me to the punch. The collective coaching minds of Spaz, Nyquil & Toby could not have done a better job of clock management at the end of regulation than Butch. At the same time, all of the above-mentioned trio, unlike Butch, would have rolled over and played dead even before taking the field against Tennessee, an SEC team that has unmatched resources we have no business trying to compete with.
janebc
McGuinn Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:26 pm

Give me a break.

We all know Spaz would never have run the ball or thrown for the end zone before trying the field goal...any opinions to the contrary are invalidated upon review of the final 45 seconds of the Clemson game. This is one situation where Spaz having his balls in a jar on GDF's desk would have paid dividends comparatively to what actually happened.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:34 pm

UT eats a dick and so do their fans. I can guarantee you that the UNC fans didnt give any gay-ass "ACC" chants at the end of the game. They probably celebrated and then didnt have sex with any of their blood relatives.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagledom on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:04 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Barth was already in good range and the penalty essentially wiped out the gain from the run. Kid's the best kicker around, let him kick and take no chances with the clock.

The run wasn't that bad - it was the fucking idiots on the FG team running onto the field that even made the clock an issue in the first place. Hell, the QB spiked the ball with a second left even after 2 seconds of trying to waive the fuckers off the field. There would have been no 5 yard penalty had they not done so. Now, as far as whether the fault of the FG team running onto the field is the head coach's or the Special Teams coach's, that's another issue.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:10 am

Isn't there a runoff for a penalty by the offense with no timeouts, maybe just in the NFL, or I could be making that up completely?

Seems to me like UNC shouldn't have been rewarded with the opportunity to kick a FG for fucking up.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Eagledom on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:12 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Isn't there a runoff for a penalty by the offense with no timeouts, maybe just in the NFL, or I could be making that up completely?

Seems to me like UNC shouldn't have been rewarded with the opportunity to kick a FG for fucking up.

I think there is in the NFL...and it seems like ther should be more than a 5 yard penalty with no run-off when you spike the ball with 16 guys on the field.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Buttercup on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:14 am

Here's what I don't get. UNC spikes the ball with too many men on the field, and it works out in their favor. The clock still stops, and they only lose 5 yards. How many times have you seen a game or a half run out while a team tries to get lined up to spike the ball? So from now shouldn't the strategy be to snap the ball as soon as it's put down (heck have a wideout do it if a center isn't at the line yet) with no regard to whether you're lined up yet, how many players you have on the field, how many guys are still moving around? Take whatever 5 yard procedure penalty the refs give you and be able to run another play?
Buttercup
Carney Hall

Postby EagleDave on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:14 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:Isn't there a runoff for a penalty by the offense with no timeouts, maybe just in the NFL, or I could be making that up completely?

I think there is in the NFL...and it seems like ther should be more than a 5 yard penalty with no run-off when you spike the ball with 16 guys on the field.

This occurred to me as well...I felt like Butch caught a break with the penalty...shouldn't have been the case.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:14 am

Never invite disaster with an injury and some ref not stopping the clock or anthing and yes NFL only and a 10 second runoff.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:16 am

Buttercup {l Wrote}:Here's what I don't get. UNC spikes the ball with too many men on the field, and it works out in their favor. The clock still stops, and they only lose 5 yards. How many times have you seen a game or a half run out while a team tries to get lined up to spike the ball? So from now shouldn't the strategy be to snap the ball as soon as it's put down (heck have a wideout do it if a center isn't at the line yet) with no regard to whether you're lined up yet, how many players you have on the field, how many guys are still moving around? Take whatever 5 yard procedure penalty the refs give you and be able to run another play?

I have a feeling this rule will be changing soon.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:22 am

A few years ago, maybe even 7 or 8, some Divsion III or II, I do not remember, a team committed a penalty or something and instead of the game being over on something they did wrong, they were given another chance and scored and it was all over the ESPN and they changed the rule since the offending team was rewarded.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby SJeagle09 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:52 am

I was at the bar so I was wondering what exactly happened that allowed them the opportunity to take the kick. NFL they run off 10 seconds, so the fastest show on turf couldn't hit a deep ball to Bruce and then have him hike it to Holt, who would then spike it. (its prob been around longer but for whatever reason I think of them when thinking of this scenario)

Couldn't believe it, but I'm not complaining since it helped my abysmal Bowl pick em.

Didn't know that Barth was the best kicker in the nation, did he win all the awards? I gotta agree with OJ here that running with 16 seconds is not a bad call, that should be plenty of time to spike it.

Also anyone see the UT QB after they kicked their extra point in OT?? He first did the "double choke/head chop move" then saluted into what eventually ended up as a hail hitler... There was no penalty.
:pontif
SJeagle09
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:59 am

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:I think Butch had the spike called, but one of the FG unit lineman (#71 I think) came running onto the field, which caused a few other FG linemen to think "Oh shit, we gotta get out there too."

Somewhere Les Miles is watching this game, chewing on a piece of grass and nodding his head in approval.

This is exactly as I saw it too. The idiot long snapper started jogging out there as if the clock was stopped and some other idiot linemen thought they suddenly needed to follow.

First, the sideline is Butch's responsibility and there was utter chaos there. Second, Butch couldn't get the play call in on time for the run. Yates (who had a terrible career after a once promising frosh campaign) was screaming at the sideline to call a play and then was screaming at them for calling a run. Third, calling a run there was terrible. There was a good chance that they wouldn't get the first. As a result, you are playing with fire to have the OLine get lined up in time. Even without the pandemonium, there woulda been only two more seconds left. If Droughns ran for 2 more yards (meaning the Oline had to run further to line up) or if he tried a cutback during the run, the game would end. Yates' disgust and disbelief at Davis' incompetence was priceless. His body language was that of "I am so fucking glad to be done with this clownshoes program."
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:05 am

HJS {l Wrote}: Yates' disgust and disbelief at Davis' incompetence was priceless. His body language was that of "I am so fucking glad to be done with this clownshoes program."

I have been critical of Yates in the past, but he had a very good year.

I don't know what was worse last night, Butch's incompetence or the Vols and their fans carrying on like toddlers.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Mosi on Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:58 am

Butch got his ass saved on the penalty, but all I was thinking was 'what is in the water in NC, with 2 of the 3 dumbest clock management coachs there' him and :toby

and we all know that :spaz2 is the 3rd
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:03 am

Same exact thing I was thinking...apparently not I guess.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:11 am

#73 Brennan Willliams was also involved with the colossal fuckup by the fg unit. Just watched it again on espn and no way should this happen. It was something right out of the Rolly Clown College book of idiocy.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:17 am

Speaking of Brennan Williams, where did his POS father send the untalented younger son?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:19 pm

On a side note, I noticed Josh Adams got some "Lady Boy Polo Hat" Memorial garbage time last night.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:47 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:On a side note, I noticed Josh Adams got some "Lady Boy Polo Hat" Memorial garbage time last night.

I think he has been the starter for them all year and been seeing a ton of time. He is in the same WR package as Jones. Adams was definitely in those last two offensive series. I guess, my point is that he is a legit player for UNC.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:03 pm

Adams is definitely a legit player but like everything else that is UNC football the offense is dysfunctional. He is the type of player who needs to get his hands on the ball and for some reason they never distribute the ball to their receivers. UNC is more geared to going over the middle with the TE. That could be the result of the TJ Yates factor but it seems that Adams has big time talent and is being wasted.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium