Theo Epstein on Felger and Mazz

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Theo Epstein on Felger and Mazz

Postby buconvict on Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:39 am

http://www.cbssports.com/local/boston/p ... massarotti

A pretty interesting conversation, as Theo went pretty in depth explaining how he values players, specifically JD Drew and his .900 OPS, and how the FO basically ignores RBIs.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Re: Theo Epstein on Felger and Mazz

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:00 am

74's favorite stat is the RBI.

Give me a guy who hits .250 and drives in 100 every time --Casey

You have to produce runs at the plate in the clutch. Period.

Theo was blessed. The Sox were a great club built by Lucchino, Theo had money, picks, and made some nice moves too, but he had the $$$$ and resources like Cashman.

The GM for the Twins....not so blessed but still there every year.

Like I said put Cashman or Theo on the Pirates team and call me.

Tell your wife go buy a new pair of shoes for a special outing for $6.00? :pontif

On the other hand you have the Minyadada of the Mets.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby shockdoct on Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:47 am

Don't listen to a lot of boston radio anymore, but this was a surprisingly candid interview.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:51 am

shockdoct {l Wrote}:Don't listen to a lot of boston radio anymore, but this was a surprisingly candid interview.

I found out I like Toucher and Rich on the new Sports station. I think not liking any Boston sports teams outside of BC kind of hinders my chances at liking sports talk radio here.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle05 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:11 am

Toucher and Rich are a hell of a lot better than Dennis & Callahan, who are borderline unlistenable at this point.
BCEagle05
n00b

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:23 am

BCEagle05 {l Wrote}:Toucher and Rich are a hell of a lot better than Dennis & Callahan, who are borderline unlistenable at this point.

Agreed. I only really enjoyed the Golf Twins for their Headlines segment, but Toucher and Rich are that ridiculous through their entire show. The Dating on Demand, pinkhat trivia, and pro wrestling interviews are all stellar segments. Plus, they actually talk hockey.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle05 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:35 am

Stupid as it is, I also get a kick out of when they read the mailbag through the computer automated voice (even if it is a blatant ripoff of the guy who would call into EEI's whiner line as Dan Duquette with the computer voice)...
BCEagle05
n00b

Postby branchinator on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:11 am

buconvict {l Wrote}:http://www.cbssports.com/local/boston/podcasts/felger-massarotti

A pretty interesting conversation, as Theo went pretty in depth explaining how he values players, specifically JD Drew and his .900 OPS, and how the FO basically ignores RBIs.

Did he explain why he valued Julio Lugo at $36 million over 4 years? That would be interesting. Does the FO also ignore defense, batting average, OBP, slugging %, etc.?
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:18 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:http://www.cbssports.com/local/boston/podcasts/felger-massarotti

Did he explain why he valued Julio Lugo at $36 million over 4 years? That would be interesting. Does the FO also ignore defense, batting average, OBP, slugging %, etc.?

Don't stop a Lugo. I'd still like to hear about Gagne.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby buconvict on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:

Don't stop a Lugo. I'd still like to hear about Gagne.

I thought Theo answered the Gagne question quite well when he called him a "really bad pitcher".

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby branchinator on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:52 pm

Gagne wasn't a free agent signing though. Lugo was one of the worst players in the league for half a season with the Dodgers and still Theo gave him a huge deal that no other team would have come close to matching. I understand about Drew but Lugo always perplexed me. He's never been good.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:18 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:Gagne wasn't a free agent signing though. Lugo was one of the worst players in the league for half a season with the Dodgers and still Theo gave him a huge deal that no other team would have come close to matching. I understand about Drew but Lugo always perplexed me. He's never been good.

Lugo musta thought --don't get into a car accident like Jon Koncak of the NBA---, on the way over to signing that miracle gift and act of stupidity.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:21 pm

How much of Lugo was on management? I don't know the answer. No matter what, it was a clusterfuck signing him, and giving him lots of cash.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:23 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:Gagne wasn't a free agent signing though. Lugo was one of the worst players in the league for half a season with the Dodgers and still Theo gave him a huge deal that no other team would have come close to matching. I understand about Drew but Lugo always perplexed me. He's never been good.

The BK Kim signing also falls into the realm of inexplicable. On the whole though, it's hard to argue that Theo hasn't done an excellent job.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby buconvict on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:48 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

The BK Kim signing also falls into the realm of inexplicable. On the whole though, it's hard to argue that Theo hasn't done an excellent job.

Kim, as bad as he was, was probably a more valuable asset than Shea Hillenbrand.

I have no possible explanation for Lugo. He was a bad player who was signed to a terrible contract.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:49 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Kim, as bad as he was, was probably a more valuable asset than Shea Hillenbrand.

I have no possible explanation for Lugo. He was a bad player who was signed to a terrible contract.

You're right. I was thinking of the extension he got after the 2003 playoffs. That was putrid.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby MrAwesome on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:05 pm

Toucher and Rich are a couple of absolute butt nutts. I like Dennis and Callahan for Callahan's politics.
MrAwesome
Carney Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium