Is it time for a Boston bowl game?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Is it time for a Boston bowl game?

Postby EagleMD on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:08 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4517004

I have not yet been accepted to link school. Hopefully this works
EagleMD
n00b

Re: Is it time for a Boston bowl game?

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:30 am

Wasn't there a Big Apple Bowl for a few years?

I like the idea of a Yankee Bowl. Too bad the ACC isn't getting involved.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:32 am

Not until we get the retractable. Even so, folks from Boston won't show up and then they will say we don't stay at home well.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:36 am

There are already too many bowl games. I know BE fans think this is going to propel them to the big time, but I doubt venue alone is going to draw eyes to the game.

That said, I will defend this bowl in one respect: the general tone I've seen from the greater football world is "hahaha it will be cold how lame." This sentiment is seen by the loudest and most jerked-off fanbases in the SEC, typically. To them I say: man the fuck up. It's football. It's been played and played well north of the Mason-Dixon line. You guys let everyone know how the best brand of football evar is played is played in the South and no one can compete. Surely, you wouldn't be afraid of a little snow or the threat of 30-degree weather.

Stop being pussies.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:36 am

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:Not until we get the retractable. Even so, folks from Boston won't show up and then they will say we don't stay at home well.

Amen.

fak that sheet taking da trowwley to faking BC in the faking snow.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:40 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:There are already too many bowl games. I know BE fans think this is going to propel them to the big time, but I doubt venue alone is going to draw eyes to the game.

That said, I will defend this bowl in one respect: the general tone I've seen from the greater football world is "hahaha it will be cold how lame." This sentiment is seen by the loudest and most jerked-off fanbases in the SEC, typically. To them I say: man the fuck up. It's football. It's been played and played well north of the Mason-Dixon line. You guys let everyone know how the best brand of football evar is played is played in the South and no one can compete. Surely, you wouldn't be afraid of a little snow or the threat of 30-degree weather.

Stop being pussies.

Top notch. Domes are for pussies, and football is not a summer sport.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby talon on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:44 am

The Yankee Bowl people better hope that a local team is available every year (Syracuse, Rutgers, UConn). People need to make bowl game plans on 2-3 weeks notice. If I can find a good deal on a flight and hotel room, I go. If it's prohibitively expensive, I think twice.

Everyone gives the Boise Bowl a hard time, but in 2005, if that game was played in Salt Lake City or Denver, I'd have booked a ticket as soon as I could. The fact that flying into Boise is ridiculously expensive kept me from going (I think the cheapest flight I found from anywhere on the east coast was in the $650-$700 range).

I think NYC is a great place to visit during the holidays, but I can't imagine that booking a flight to NYC and getting a hotel room around New Year's Eve is going to be an inexpensive trip. I could see Big XII fans thinking that it would be worth the cost if this was just a step below BCS in terms of prestige. I can't imagine fans of a team that finished 2-4/3-5 in conference play shelling out the money to see a mid-level big east team.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby BCVincimus on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:45 am

A college football festival weekend to start the college football season at Gillette would be nice (i.e.Notre Dame/BC vs. BC/ UConn on a Saturday then the preseason AP No. 1 and 2 on Sunday....) . Competing against established Bowls in Dec/Jan would be very difficult...August or bust..
BCVincimus
n00b

Postby 1981Eagle on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:46 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:There are already too many bowl games. I know BE fans think this is going to propel them to the big time, but I doubt venue alone is going to draw eyes to the game.

Stop being pussies.

They are pussies in the SEC about travelling to the cold. I'm not aware of any SEC team that has travelled north after October 31 since the famous BC-Alabama third qtr blackout game in 83. The Tide couldn't take playing in freezing rain and a gale force wind and got spanked by the Eagles. They promised they would kick our ass the next year at Legion Field but BC kicked their ass again. It was great when we played and beat the baby rapists. Now, I'm suppose to get excited when Wake comes to town.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Shredder on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:58 am

Cold weather bowl games played outside are stupid. Indoor games in cold weather cities aren't much better. Since the bigger bowls (which are all warm weather cities) will still get the better picks, any new bowl, especially one in cold weather, would be stuck with bad teams. The players don't feel rewarded by playing a nothing game and freezing in the process. Fans, who would likely not be from the northeast because there aren't many football programs up here, will have even less of a reason to go to a junk bowl game. Boston and New York are better cities than Detroit but at least the Motor City Bowl is played inside. It makes sense the Big East wants a bowl game in the north because their teams lose money when they go to bowls. With a bowl in NY or Boston, UConn can just carpool. If there were one in the Meadowlands, Rutgers won't have to worry about crossing state lines and they can use NJ's Corrections' buses.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby UnionvilleUConnFan on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:15 am

Neutral site games are becoming all the rage and I'm sure Gillette and the new Meadowlands would love to have a UConn/Rutgers v. BC "kick-off" game. Too bad GDF will never let that happen. :(

The Yankee bowl will do well for a few years; not sure how much staying power it will have. That may not matter, as the college football landscape may look much different by 2015.
UnionvilleUConnFan
Carney Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:17 am

UnionvilleUConnFan {l Wrote}:Neutral site games are becoming all the rage

Tee hee
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby tallsy on Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:02 am

I think the Yankee Bowl can be successfully marketed to the Big XII fans as a trip to NYC. I think the tougher sell may be the non-Rutgers/unconn/cuse Big East teams that may not see NYC as much a draw. Success or not I agree that this will not catapult the bowl into the upper echelon of college football. The cache of DC won't help the EagleBank Bowl and Vegas hasn't helped the Las Vegas Bowl.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby buconvict on Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:36 am

talon {l Wrote}:The Yankee Bowl people better hope that a local team is available every year (Syracuse, Rutgers, UConn). People need to make bowl game plans on 2-3 weeks notice. If I can find a good deal on a flight and hotel room, I go. If it's prohibitively expensive, I think twice.

Everyone gives the Boise Bowl a hard time, but in 2005, if that game was played in Salt Lake City or Denver, I'd have booked a ticket as soon as I could. The fact that flying into Boise is ridiculously expensive kept me from going (I think the cheapest flight I found from anywhere on the east coast was in the $650-$700 range).

I think NYC is a great place to visit during the holidays, but I can't imagine that booking a flight to NYC and getting a hotel room around New Year's Eve is going to be an inexpensive trip. I could see Big XII fans thinking that it would be worth the cost if this was just a step below BCS in terms of prestige. I can't imagine fans of a team that finished 2-4/3-5 in conference play shelling out the money to see a mid-level big east team.

Every so often people make a point that cannot be improved upon, yet I feel the need t acknowledge that I agree with everything that's been said.

This is one of those times. :kudos

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium