Wait, Boise State is #5 in the polls?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Wait, Boise State is #5 in the polls?

Postby branchinator on Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:16 am

Am I living in some bizarro world or something? I know this post will attract HustlinOwl like a fly on poop but I just took a look at their schedule. This team isn't losing another game and will make a BCS game due to this shit schedule. Could they conceivably make the national championship game if there are no undefeated teams at the end of the year other than Trucker U?
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Re: Wait, Boise State is #5 in the polls?

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:23 am

Its that tough schedule and the double baked potatoes with real bacon bits sent to the voters.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby UnionvilleUConnFan on Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:30 am

campion {l Wrote}:What-- Am I the only one rooting for a Boise State/ South Florida national championship game?

No.

:ginger :ginger :ginger :ginger :ginger :ginger :ginger :ginger :ginger :ginger :ginger

:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

:pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle
UnionvilleUConnFan
Carney Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:50 am

campion {l Wrote}:What-- Am I the only one rooting for a Boise State/ South Florida national championship game?

I hope this happens so the BCS finally blows up from a complete national outrage.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:52 am

They remind me of WVU with Slaton and White. The (appear to) have a high-powered offense, little to no defense (exhibit A vs Fresno State), and a shit schedule that paves the way for an undefeated season. The whole scenario is exacerbated by the fact that the preseason pollsters recognized all this, and placed them with a preseason ranking in the teens in anticipation of them beating up on creampuffs. Their only "test" was Oregon, a team that looked ill-prepared to play in week 1.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:19 pm

Am I living in some bizarro world or something? I know this post will attract HustlinOwl like a fly on poop but I just took a look at their schedule. This team isn't losing another game and will make a BCS game due to this shit schedule. Could they conceivably make the national championship game if there are no undefeated teams at the end of the year other than Trucker U?

Alabama is losing to Florida in the SEC Championship again (probably.) Then they will be out. Texas may lose to Oklahoma, then they might be out. LSU will lose to Alabama. Florida (without Tebow) will probably lose at LSU. And Iowa either loses at Ohio State or they lose to Michigan.

Yes, it is very possible that Boise might be left at number one at the end of the year. And Boise State in the National Championship is bad karma for the BC$.

What-- Am I the only one rooting for a Boise State/ South Florida national championship game?

No you aren't the only one campion. Several of us (who want playoffs right fucking now) want the BCS shitstorm. It appears South Florida got stronger by losing Grothie. They might not lose a game.
Last edited by innocentbystander on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:20 pm

Don't forget about Houston. The BCS "computer algorythms" are going to love them after beating TT and OK-State, provided they remain undefeated.

More shit for the BCS shitstorm.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:28 pm

they don't bring enough fans

That is perfect. AN even shittier team than Boise State in the National Championship would surely be bad for the BC$. Looking at their schedule, who beats Houston?
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby 1981Eagle on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:31 pm

I will all come out in the end. They will get bitch-stomped like Hawaii did when they were undefeated. No one is taking these games lightly anymore after Bama and OK got beat in BCS bowls by the WACsters. They beat an ill-prepared Oregon on the Blue Turf. Had the game been at Autzen, the result would have been different. BSU will be playing a real team in a real bowl on a neutral field. They will get stomped.

One big diff between a BC fan and Boise fan is that when BC was Number 2, we all enjoyed it and hoped for the best but we weren't littering the airwaves with "BC is great and deserves a shot at the NC" bullshit. Had we run the table, then we would have made that case. These BSU fans ACTUALLY believe their team deserves a shot despite the weak schedule etc. Amazing. I think it proves it messes up your brain to eat too often at Olive Garden. The FDA is now conducting clinical tests to verify.
Last edited by 1981Eagle on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby shockdoct on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:32 pm

I am shocked..shocked I say...that HustlinOwl has been online all day and somehow has resisted temptation to respond in this thread.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby BCWest on Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:48 pm

All the SEC teams are going to beat each other. So only one will survive undefeated. Is BSU is undefeated and there is no 2nd undefeated team in the country, the will be ranked 2nd in the Coaches and Harris and they will get into the BCS champ game. I will submit they get in even if Cincy were the "3rd" undefeated team. But, why get ahead of ourselves, there is lots of football left to play!

As for whether or not BSU deserves to go if they go undefeated, who knows. I can see their argument. But the BCS has made so things can be screwed up. It should not be this way.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby branchinator on Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:51 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:All the SEC teams are going to beat each other. So only one will survive undefeated. Is BSU is undefeated and there is no 2nd undefeated team in the country, the will be ranked 2nd in the Coaches and Harris and they will get into the BCS champ game. I will submit they get in even if Cincy were the "3rd" undefeated team. But, why get ahead of ourselves, there is lots of football left to play!

As for whether or not BSU deserves to go if they go undefeated, who knows. I can see their argument. But the BCS has made so things can be screwed up. It should not be this way.

What exactly is Boise State's argument?
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby mod6A on Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:47 pm

the WAC is a dirty conference. teams like New Mexico State play in the WAC. dirty. that truckdriving school does not belong in the CG.
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:26 pm

What exactly is Boise State's argument?

There are two arguments, exactly:

#1) They beat Oregon. Given the sodomization CAL took on Saturday, Oregon might win the Pac-10. If Oregon beats USC, Oregon WILL win the Pac-10. The BCS National Championship knock on schools like Boise State are that they don't play anyone. Well, if Oregon winds up winning a BCS conferance, what more could you have asked of Boise?

#2) Utah. All Utah did last year was run the table. Still, Utah was in the Sugar Bowl while once-beaten subjectively-chosen Oklahoma and once beaten subjectively-chosen Florida played for all the marbles. Utah whaled on Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. Alas, Florida struggled to beat Alabama in the SEC Championship. So, the BCS totally screwed up by NOT having Utah in the National Championship. How fair would it be to screw Boise now?
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby buconvict on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:35 pm

The reason no non-BCS conference team should ever be in the BCS title game is because of the weakness of their schedule. Great BSU beat Oregon. Awesome. Lemme know how they'd do if after beating Oregon they had to then play USC, UW, Cal, ASU, UA, WSU, OSU, Stanford, and UCLA.

It is inconceivable that a team who plays that schedule and has the talent that BSU has wouldn't lose a game or two. A playoff would solve alot of problems, but so would BSU making the title game and losing to Florida by 60 points the way OSU did for three straight years.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:41 pm

The reason no non-BCS conference team should ever be in the BCS title game is because of the weakness of their schedule. Great BSU beat Oregon. Awesome. Lemme know how they'd do if after beating Oregon they had to then play USC, UW, Cal, ASU, UA, WSU, OSU, Stanford, and UCLA.

Which brings us to argument #3, if a BCS conferance refuses to admit Boise State as a member of their conferance, how can you hold them accountable for not playing everyone IN a BCS conferance? Using this logic, only BCS teams would ever be allowed to play in BCS games. If that is the case, then you truly do have a cartel and Boise might have a lawsuit.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HustlinOwl on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:50 pm

They deserve to go because they're the best team in the country. And we travel well!

Phvck Yeah!

Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:53 pm

On this board you can say "fuck yeah."
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby MoMoneyBC on Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:12 pm

haha
MoMoneyBC
Carney Hall

Postby talon on Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:16 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Which brings us to argument #3, if a BCS conferance refuses to admit Boise State as a member of their conferance, how can you hold them accountable for not playing everyone IN a BCS conferance?
Boise State has four OOC spots. Sure, there aren't many that are willing to give them a home-and-home, but if they're willing to play three of four of their OOC games on the road, they could upgrade from the MAC/CUSA teams that they usually play.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby buconvict on Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:21 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:The reason no non-BCS conference team should ever be in the BCS title game is because of the weakness of their schedule. Great BSU beat Oregon. Awesome. Lemme know how they'd do if after beating Oregon they had to then play USC, UW, Cal, ASU, UA, WSU, OSU, Stanford, and UCLA.

Which brings us to argument #3, if a BCS conferance refuses to admit Boise State as a member of their conferance, how can you hold them accountable for not playing everyone IN a BCS conferance? Using this logic, only BCS teams would ever be allowed to play in BCS games. If that is the case, then you truly do have a cartel and Boise might have a lawsuit.

Then they should grow some balls like BYU and play Oklahoma and FSU. Then maybe people will take them seriously. Memphis manages to overcome their pathetic conference in hoops by playing an absurd schedule at the start of the season to make up for it.

BSU plays one decent team and then jogs to the finish line, and that's why nobody truly respects them. BYU went to Dallas (a city overflowing with OU alumni) and played Oklahoma. Then, they played FSU. Had they won that game, I'd argue that in addition to their decent conference (MVC >>> WAC), they'd have an argument. Boise State has no place in the BCS title game. None. Mercifully, they will never have the chance to go.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:44 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:On this board you can say "fuck yeah."

You, of all people, should recognize it's a play from "BC Eagles Phvck Yeah!" that was in somebody's sig on EI(Don't remember who it was).
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:47 pm

Talon and BUC are correct. Look at OK. They still have to play real teams including Miami this week probably without Bradford. Florida may be without Tebow this week. USC had to go without Barkley last week--and lost. There is no real let up in the BCS conferences once you get into conference play. You have a bad day with losts of penalties/turnovers or your best players can't play--then you lose or barely skid by. In the BCS conferences, there are a few bottom dwellers like a Duke but usually you better bring your A Game and A Players each week or you will risk getting beat. Ask LSU that should have gotten beat by lowly Miss. State. BUC is right. Play one decent game and jog to the finish. Get some real OOC games like Talon says. Do what Fresno does "Anyone, anywhere, anytime". Quit worrying about home and homes. Once you earn the respect, you will earn some home and homes. BSU can beat all but two teams in the WAC with their 3rd string--a bad game/turnovers/injuries do not matter against such weak opposition. It does in the BCS.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:52 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:Then they should grow some balls like BYU and play Oklahoma and FSU. Then maybe people will take them seriously. Memphis manages to overcome their pathetic conference in hoops by playing an absurd schedule at the start of the season to make up for it.

BSU plays one decent team and then jogs to the finish line, and that's why nobody truly respects them. BYU went to Dallas (a city overflowing with OU alumni) and played Oklahoma. Then, they played FSU. Had they won that game, I'd argue that in addition to their decent conference (MVC >>> WAC), they'd have an argument. Boise State has no place in the BCS title game. None. Mercifully, they will never have the chance to go.

Even though I don't like you, I agree with you completely. There's a huge camp that wishes the OOC was significantly ungraded(me one of them). The AD has taken the strategy of 'win a lot of games and it will bring good things'. I guess it's paying off cause BSU is "#5 BABY".
:ginger

The same strategy in basketball is failing miserably.
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:59 pm

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:They deserve to go because they're the best team in the country. And we travel well!

Phvck Yeah!

This has to be the ugliest stadium in the country. It looks like something an Eastern Bloc country would build.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:07 pm

It takes a long time to earn national respect. Sure, you need to win lots of games but then you also need to upgrade the schedule and win against the baby rapists. This will come as a surprise to all except us old timers but here goes. Do you realize that despite Rip Engle's and Joe Paterno's success at Penn St., that Penn State was basically the BSU of the East in the 60's and into the 70"s. Year after year PSU would go undefeated or maybe one loss against their traditional eastern rivals (Pitt, WVU, BC, Temple, Rutgers, Cuse etc.). They had several undefeated years where not only did they not win the MNC but weren't even in the top 3 or top 5 and usually got shafted by the major bowls--there were only about 8 bowls at the time.

So, they started scheduling the Ohio St., Michigans, Alabamas, Nebraska's, ND's etc. At first, they didn't fare real well against these teams. But, they eventually rose to the task and speed of these teams and eventually became a national power. That's the road map. Stop with the cupcakes and schedule 3 out of 4 real OOC games so you can make a legitimate claim as a BCS buster or be invited to a BCS conference. Otherwise, you will never get the national respect you want. Knocking off one good BCS team a year, even in a major bowl, will not get you to the top which is the goal of every FBS team except NCS where 8 or 9 wins is just fine.
Last edited by 1981Eagle on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:18 pm

Oxen : Ox :: Fagen : ????
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby AdamBC on Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:04 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:Oxen : Ox :: Fagen : ????

I wish I could exalt the shit out of this comment.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:28 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:It takes a long time to earn national respect. Sure, you need to win lots of games but then you also need to upgrade the schedule and win against the baby rapists. This will come as a surprise to all except us old timers but here goes. Do you realize that despite Rip Engle's and Joe Paterno's success at Penn St., that Penn State was basically the BSU of the East in the 60's and into the 70"s. Year after year PSU would go undefeated or maybe one loss against their traditional eastern rivals (Pitt, WVU, BC, Temple, Rutgers, Cuse etc.). They had several undefeated years where not only did they not win the MNC but weren't even in the top 3 or top 5 and usually got shafted by the major bowls--there were only about 8 bowls at the time.

So, they started scheduling the Ohio St., Michigans, Alabamas, Nebraska's, ND's etc. At first, they didn't fare real well against these teams. But, they eventually rose to the task and speed of these teams and eventually became a national power. That's the road map. Stop with the cupcakes and schedule 3 out of 4 real OOC games so you can make a legitimate claim as a BCS buster or be invited to a BCS conference. Otherwise, you will never get the national respect you want. Knocking off one good BCS team a year, even in a major bowl, will not get you to the top which is the goal of every FBS team except NCS where 8 or 9 wins is just fine.

Your preachin to the choir. In a one game playoff this years BSU team could beat anybody in the country on a neutral site. They probably don't have the depth to go through a really hard schedule without a loss. When a BCS conference opening comes up give BSU a call and I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to join. Until you or anybody else hands out that offer, don't complain about midmajor schedule strength. BSU is what it is.

Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby buconvict on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:13 am

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:Your preachin to the choir. In a one game playoff this years BSU team could beat anybody in the country on a neutral site. They probably don't have the depth to go through a really hard schedule without a loss. When a BCS conference opening comes up give BSU a call and I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to join. Until you or anybody else hands out that offer, don't complain about midmajor schedule strength. BSU is what it is.

BSU could not beat "anybody". YOU'RE insane if you think that.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium