Response to Talon's Irrelevent question.

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Response to Talon's Irrelevent question.

Postby talon on Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:26 pm

TampaDoubleEagle {l Wrote}:To answer Talon's hypothetical question, damn right I'd be glad BC won. I wouldn't be happy about the game, but I would, in fact, be happy about the win. I like winning. I'd be livid about the way we played, embarrassed about practically losing to a Division II/I-AA team, scared about the rest of the games on our schedule, maybe even depressed based on what I saw, but I'll take a win any day over a loss.

which question are you answering? The one about needing a DII team to miss a last minute chip shot field goal to seal the victory? Or the one about losing to a DIAA team, but getting the victory after the fact because of a forfeit?

but more importantly, would you question the fandom of someone who expressed disappointment in the manner of victory?

My problem with NorthEndEagle is that he takes the attitude that:

If BC wins, it doesnt' matter how they win, anybody who expresses the slightest bit of concern is not a fan and (secretly) hates BC. I just wanted to see NorthEndEagle say that there are circumstances in which BC can win, but BC fans can still be concerned about the way BC won. He obviously can't do that.

For him (or anyone) to suggest that any one here was upset that Wes Davis recovered that fumble in overtime is retarded. I think the majority opinion is that we all are happy that Johnson stripped the ball and Davis recovered, yet at the same time, we are concerned that the decision to turtle up and sit on the lead led to the necessity of that play. BC should have gone for the kill midway through the 4th quarter. Instead, they assumed they could run out the clock. That decision almost led to a loss.

But, I guess it's just easier to say "I came after BC beat Northeastern; you didn't. I'm a better fan than you."
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby TampaDoubleEagle on Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:35 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:A BC Guy should not be happy when BC loses, even though they may have played a great game, shown signs of promise, left everything on the field, blah blah blah.

DoubleEagle is correct.

At the end of the 2001 BC-Miami game (when it looked that BC might win, right up to the last play where Miami ran that interception back for a pick-6) I thought BC played a great game, showed signs of promise, and left everything on the field. And yet, I was still happier with BC's performance against Wake Forest (at the end of the game) than I was with the Miami game 8 years ago. And the only reason why I was happier was because BC won on Saturday.

Winning makes me happy. Losing, doesn't. How the team played the game, is secondary to the scoreboard.

Bingo. In fact, it was BECAUSE we lost that 2001 Miami game despite playing such a great game and being in position to win and making me think we were actually finally going to beat them for the first time since 1984 and Flutie that I felt absolutely MISERABLE after that game was over. And we certainly played a much better game of football in 2001 vs. Miami than we did in 2009 vs. Wake Forest.
TampaDoubleEagle
Carney Hall

Postby TampaDoubleEagle on Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:39 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
TampaDoubleEagle {l Wrote}:To answer Talon's hypothetical question, damn right I'd be glad BC won. I wouldn't be happy about the game, but I would, in fact, be happy about the win. I like winning. I'd be livid about the way we played, embarrassed about practically losing to a Division II/I-AA team, scared about the rest of the games on our schedule, maybe even depressed based on what I saw, but I'll take a win any day over a loss.

which question are you answering? The one about needing a DII team to miss a last minute chip shot field goal to seal the victory? Or the one about losing to a DIAA team, but getting the victory after the fact because of a forfeit?

but more importantly, would you question the fandom of someone who expressed disappointment in the manner of victory?

My problem with NorthEndEagle is that he takes the attitude that:

If BC wins, it doesnt' matter how they win, anybody who expresses the slightest bit of concern is not a fan and (secretly) hates BC. I just wanted to see NorthEndEagle say that there are circumstances in which BC can win, but BC fans can still be concerned about the way BC won. He obviously can't do that.

For him (or anyone) to suggest that any one here was upset that Wes Davis recovered that fumble in overtime is retarded. I think the majority opinion is that we all are happy that Johnson stripped the ball and Davis recovered, yet at the same time, we are concerned that the decision to turtle up and sit on the lead led to the necessity of that play. BC should have gone for the kill midway through the 4th quarter. Instead, they assumed they could run out the clock. That decision almost led to a loss.

But, I guess it's just easier to say "I came after BC beat Northeastern; you didn't. I'm a better fan than you."

I read NorthEndEagle's posts differently than you do. I really don't think he espouses the viewpoint you are ascribing to him. But that's beside the point.

You and I are basically on the same page. I just think the whole thing went nuts over the use of the word "happy".

I was pleased with the way we played the first 50 minutes or so of the game. And pissed at the last 10 minutes of regulation and the entire overtime. It was, as many here correctly recognized, like watching TOB and Deep Sea Dana all over again. And that REALLY SUCKS.
TampaDoubleEagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:16 pm

There is a distinction between "winning close" and "winning against a shitbag program that lost to Baylor despite playing like a choking TOB wannabe suckbag puscadore fucktard". The former is cool - see Clemson a few years back, and is sometimes more satifying than blowing a motherfucking team out. The latter, which happened last weekend, sucks donkeydick and is almost as bad as losing.

All winning is better than losing. The point is that the Wake game was at the bottom of the "winning" spectrum and just barely above "losing to a really good team whilst playing well."
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby mod6A on Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:07 pm

i think this board needs more outsiders. while annonying, the likes of historylesson et al provided a collective enemy for posters to take aim at.
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby BigPete on Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:29 pm

NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:I am always happy that BC wins. I'm a fag.

Why yes you are Vincent.
BigPete
McGuinn Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium