First Trivia Quiz of New Nexus

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

First Trivia Quiz of New Nexus

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:34 pm

Ok. we have said everything that can be said about the Wake game and we have generally given our preliminary thoughts on the FSU game. So, while we are in a lull. You can play the 81 Eagle Trivia Quiz and the winner gets to change 81 Eagles avatar. Past winners include:

Trivia 1.0--Campion

Trivia 2.0- TRE

Trivia 3.0- Notorious Orange ( are you here and hiding under a diff name?)

Here you go:

Trivia 4.0

1. The Ameica's Cup competition was held in this New England city until it was wrestled away and yet to be returned

2. Name the Oldest high school football rivalry in Massachusetts west of Route 128.

3. What was the now famous local headline when undefeated Harvard and Yale played to a 29-29 tie with Harvard coming from way behind to get the tie?

4. Name the two Massachusetts HS running backs to wear the famed Number 44 at Syracuse.

5. What native of Worcester lived his childhood dream and became a catcher for the Red Sox?

6. Name the three HS teams in the Big Three Conference.

7. What famous Celtic played for Holy Cross and coached BC in Bball?

8. Only one Mass. HS football team has ever been ranked number 1 nationally. What was that team and what Central Mass. team knocked them from Number 1 in a mid-season game.

9. In the 60's/70's, there was a Central Mass. HS hockey team that made the State finals about 10 out of 12 years but only won it twice. What was the team?

10. What did Dr. Tom Davis get his doctorate in?
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Re: First Trivia Quiz of New Nexus

Postby HustlinOwl on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:39 pm

I would have bet money you were NotoriousOrange.
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:44 pm

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:I would have bet money you were NotoriousOrange.

Damn, a lost opportunity to win a bet. Looks like you are BCS bound my friend. Try not to get throttled like Hawaii. That won't help your argument.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:52 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:Ok. we have said everything that can be said about the Wake game and we have generally given our preliminary thoughts on the FSU game. So, while we are in a lull. You can play the 81 Eagle Trivia Quiz and the winner gets to change 81 Eagles avatar. Past winners include:

Trivia 1.0--Campion

Trivia 2.0- TRE

Here you go:

Trivia 4.0

1. The Ameica's Cup competition was held in this New England city until it was wrestled away and yet to be returned

NEWPORT, RI

2. Name the Oldest high school football rivalry in Massachusetts west of Route 128.

NO IDEA

3. What was the now famous local headline when undefeated Harvard and Yale played to a 29-29 tie with Harvard coming from way behind to get the tie?

NO IDEA

4. Name the two Massachusetts HS running backs to wear the famed Number 44 at Syracuse.

ROB CONRAD

5. What native of Worcester lived his childhood dream and became a catcher for the Red Sox?

BOB MONTGOMERY

BROCKTON, EVERETT NO FUCKING CLUE

BOB COUSEY

8. Only one Mass. HS football team has ever been ranked number 1 nationally. What was that team and what Central Mass. team knocked them from Number 1 in a mid-season game.

NO IDEA, BUT EVERETT HAS CLAIM TO A NATIONAL TITLE IN LIKE 1912.

9. In the 60's/70's, there was a Central Mass. HS hockey team that made the State finals about 10 out of 12 years but only won it twice. What was the team?

NO IDEA

PSYCHOLOGY
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:55 pm

Sorry, the Everett that won the national title is in Ohio. I saw it the other day when we were arguing about Everett dominating Mass fottball the past few years.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Chilltown on Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:01 pm

3) Harvard Beat's Yale, 29-29
Chilltown
n00b

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:Ok. we have said everything that can be said about the Wake game and we have generally given our preliminary thoughts on the FSU game. So, while we are in a lull. You can play the 81 Eagle Trivia Quiz and the winner gets to change 81 Eagles avatar. Past winners include:

Trivia 1.0--Campion

Trivia 2.0- TRE

Here you go:

Trivia 4.0

NEWPORT, RI

NO IDEA

NO IDEA

ROB CONRAD

BOB MONTGOMERY

BROCKTON, EVERETT NO FUCKING CLUE

BOB COUSEY

NO IDEA, BUT EVERETT HAS CLAIM TO A NATIONAL TITLE IN LIKE 1912.

NO IDEA

PSYCHOLOGY

Campion can usually do the whole trivia quiz but we generally do it collectively. The first one that gives all the correct answers wins. Here is the feedback from 2bg9's attaempt. Lend a hand guys.

1. Correct

2. Hint: Both Mill towns are located off Route 2 and generally play Everett and Brockton annually.

3. No hint there. You either know it or don't

4. Correct, there was only one and it was Rob Konrad. Joe Morris from Ayer, MA did not wear #44.

5. Incorrect. He now manages a team in Worcester that might be Single or Double A.

6. Brockton is correct. Everett is not. Hint: One is a famous whaling town and the other HS is in Fall River.

7. Correct.

8. The NUmber 1 team is more famous for boxers. The team that upset them is one of the teams from question #2.

9. Their nickname is the Dandies and a university in Alabama shares its name.

10. Alex Trebek says close enough: Sports Psychology
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:18 pm

Chilltown {l Wrote}:3) Harvard Beat's Yale, 29-29

That's correct. Add it to the other correct answers and keep going. First one to present ALL correct answers in ONE post wins.

EDIT: Still need correct answer on 2,5,6,8,9. See hints above under my reply to 2bg9's attempt.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:27 pm

Newport, RI

Guess: St Peter Marian vs. St. John's Shrewsbury

Harvard Beats Yale!

Rob Konrad, St. John's Prep and Joe Morris, Ayer HS. (Total guess on Morris, but I know Konrad did

Rich Gedman

Brockton, New Bedford and Durfee

Heinsohn or Cousy. Put a gun to my head: Cousy

Leomnister beats Brockton in 1988. My memory was it was a season-opening game, though. They were on the front page of USA today and featured future BC Eagles Darnell Campbell and Jay McGillis, God bless his soul. Rudy Harris played for teh Clemson and had a few years in the NFL. EDIT - I was wrong. It was mid-season.

St. John's Shrewsbury (Total Guess)

Education

[/quote]
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:46 pm

DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:1. The Ameica's Cup competition was held in this New England city until it was wrestled away and yet to be returned

Newport, RI

Guess: St Peter Marian vs. St. John's Shrewsbury

Harvard Beats Yale!

Rob Konrad, St. John's Prep and Joe Morris, Ayer HS. (Total guess on Morris, but I know Konrad did

Rich Gedman

Brockton, New Bedford and Durfee

Heinsohn or Cousy. Put a gun to my head: Cousy

Leomnister beats Brockton in 1988. My memory was it was a season-opening game, though. They were on the front page of USA today and featured future BC Eagles Darnell Campbell and Jay McGillis, God bless his soul. Rudy Harris played for teh Clemson and had a few years in the NFL. EDIT - I was wrong. It was mid-season.

St. John's Shrewsbury (Total Guess)

Education

[/quote]

Dr. Jack is oh so close. #2 and #9 still need help. See the hints above under my response to 2bg9. Stick with Cousy and Konrad. Dr. Jack takes the lead BUT, the WINNER is the first to present all correct answers in ONE post.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:08 pm

Diamond Ferri.

:toby
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:34 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:4. Name the two Massachusetts HS running backs to wear the famed Number 44 at Syracuse.

Diamond Ferri.

:toby

Every time I hear or see that name I get a brain fart.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:43 pm

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby janebc on Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:50 pm

No. 2 Lee - Lennox?
janebc
McGuinn Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:57 pm

janebc {l Wrote}:No. 2 Lee - Lennox?

Not that far west. Think Central Mass and who beat Brockton when they were #1.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby apbc12 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:59 pm

9. Spring Hill?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:03 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:9. Spring Hill?

See the hints under my response to 2bg9's attaempt. Spring Hill is not a University in Alabama nor is their nickname the Dandies.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby apbc12 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:09 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

See the hints under my response to 2bg9's attaempt. Spring Hill is not a University in Alabama nor is their nickname the Dandies.

I don't know crap about high school hockey in Massachusetts, I was just guessing. Spring Hill is a college in Mobile. It's one of the older Jesuit colleges (and one of the older Catholic colleges) in the US. I was just guessing, figuring the Jesuit connections might have brought it to your attention. I also figured it's obscure enough that you might call it a university when it's actually a college (poor bastards don't have an engineering school).

Now you know some extra trivia.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:13 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

I don't know crap about high school hockey in Massachusetts, I was just guessing. Spring Hill is a college in Mobile. It's one of the older Jesuit colleges (and one of the older Catholic colleges) in the US. I was just guessing, figuring the Jesuit connections might have brought it to your attention. I also figured it's obscure enough that you might call it a university when it's actually a college (poor bastards don't have an engineering school).

Thanks I will file it away.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:24 pm

Here are the coorect answers so far with hints. See below.

Trivia 1.0--Campion

Trivia 2.0- TRE

Here you go:

Trivia 4.0

Newport, RI

Hint:See one of the teams involved in #8

Harvard beats Yale 29-29

Only 1. Rob Konrad

Rich Gedman

Brockton, Durfee, New Bedford

Bob Cousy

#1 Brockton was beaten by Leominster

Hint:The name of a University in Alabama, nickname of the High school is the Dandies, a toll stop on the Mass Pike. Famous hockey coach Dick Longeuil.

Sports Psychology
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby holycross87 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:31 pm

#8. Brockton was defeated by North Middlesex
holycross87
Carney Hall

Postby holycross87 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:36 pm

#9. Isn't Auburn (Ma) HS nickname the Rockets?
holycross87
Carney Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:43 pm

holycross87 {l Wrote}:#9. Isn't Auburn (Ma) HS nickname the Rockets?

#1Brockton was defeated by Leominster

Auburn was the Dandies back in the 60/70's/ Not sure if they changed it.

You should be able to answer number 2 and WIN the CONTEST by submitting all correct answers in ONE POST.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby dixieagle on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:49 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

Thanks I will file it away.

Oddly enough, my husband (also a B.C. guy - Class of '74) teaches broadcast journalism at Spring Hill College (he's a news anchor here.) The college is actually considerably older than B.C. (1830) - rather surprising in the deep south.

Great trivia quiz; wish I'd been online early enough to play.
dixieagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby holycross87 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:52 pm

Leominster plays Fitchburg on Turkey Day...2nd longest only to Wellesley-Needham. Actually a greater NB guy here (Mattapoisett/teach at Dartmouth HS) but my years at HC gave me some CMass perspective.
holycross87
Carney Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:14 pm

holycross87 {l Wrote}:Leominster plays Fitchburg on Turkey Day...2nd longest only to Wellesley-Needham. Actually a greater NB guy here (Mattapoisett/teach at Dartmouth HS) but my years at HC gave me some CMass perspective.

Leominster/Fitchburg is the answer to #2
Auburn is the answer to #9. It's a trick question because Auburn's nickname was the Dandies until 1992 so I gave that hint correctly since I was referring to their hockey teams in the 60/70"s. They changed their nickname to the Rockets in 1992.

If you present, all the correct answers in ONE POST, then HC wins. I have the perfect avatar for you--the HC logo as my avatar. But, you have to complete the task to win bf someone beats you to it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby holycross87 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:24 pm

Trivia 1.0--Campion

Trivia 2.0- TRE

Here you go:

Trivia 4.0

Newport

Leominster-Fitchburg

Harvard beats Yale 29-29

Rob Conrad and ?

Gedman

NB, Durfee and Brockton

the Cooz..my dad's classmate HC '50

Brockton defeated by Leominster

Auburn High

Sports Psychology
holycross87
Carney Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:32 pm

HC87, the winner of Trivia 4.0. I will post up the HC logo avatar in the morning. Thanks to all for playing.

Bonus Question: When was the last TOTAL Solar Eclipse in Massachusetts and what was the ONLY viewing spot in the State?
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:36 pm

I want fucking extra credit for getting your stupid trick question about Syracuse right.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I want fucking extra credit for getting your stupid trick question about Syracuse right.

Ok. Fair is fair. I will post any avatar you want for one week provided you PM it to me in uploadedable form 100x100 pixles. After that, it's the HC logo for HC87.

You can buy an extra week if you can answer the bous question.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium