VT time announced

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

VT time announced

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:25 am

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/rec ... 28aaa.html

game time for tech is announced. this is total bullshit, how the hell does this game end up being a 12:00 kick.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Re: VT time announced

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:27 am

The ACC is retarded. I'll be there anyway.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:30 am

ill be there as well, i was hoping for 330 kick worst case, 12:00 is a disaster.

Ill keep praying for this time to switch however unlikely it may be.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:30 am

Look the day game won't hurt us anyway as far as environment. Hopefully half the crowd is still asleep.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:32 am

The Gametime won't change. 2 Questions for you:

(1) Are you staying in Blacksburg or outside? We're in Roanoke
(2) Plans before the game?

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:ill be there as well, i was hoping for 330 kick worst case, 12:00 is a disaster.

Ill keep praying for this time to switch however unlikely it may be.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:35 am

Why have the game at noon? Because the ACC is sick and tired of seeing BC win just enough ACC games to go to Tampa with their 300 fans.

In 2006 VPI played BC at night, and VPI got their asses kicked 22-3. In 2007 VPI played BC at night and VPI lost at home 14-10. But VPI plays BC in the afternoon at neutral site, and VPI wins. In 2008, VPI plays BC at night and VPI loses. But VPI plays them at noon at a neutral site and VPI kicks BC's ass.

Sooooooo.... if you are VPI and you want to beat Boston College (or if you are ACC officials angry at all things BC), it is real simple: don't have VPI fucking play BC at night!
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:37 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Why have the game at noon? Because the ACC is sick and tired of seeing BC win just enough ACC games to go to Tampa with their 300 fans.

In 2006 VPI played BC at night, and VPI got their asses kicked 22-3. In 2007 VPI played BC at night and VPI lost at home 14-10. But VPI plays BC in the afternoon at neutral site, and VPI wins. In 2008, VPI plays BC at night and VPI loses. But VPI plays them at noon at a neutral site and VPI kicks BC's ass.

Sooooooo.... if you are VPI and you want to beat Boston College (or if you are ACC officials angry at all things BC), it is real simple: don't have VPI fucking play BC at night!

Lay off the weed.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:45 am

TV picks the game times, not the ACC, Innocentdumbass. TV would prefer to see VT get upset on national TV at night - it makes for great fucking TV. VT/BC nightgames have been some of the highest rated in ACC history.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:49 am

Boston College at Virginia Tech, RAYCOM, 12 noon
Indiana at Virginia, ESPN360.com, 3:30 p.m.
Georgia Southern at North Carolina, ESPN360.com, 3:30 p.m.
Duke at NC State, ESPNU, 4 p.m.
Maryland at Wake Forest, ESPN360.com, 6:30 pm
Florida A&M at Miami, ESPN360.com, 7 p.m.
Georgia Tech at Florida State, ABC, ESPN, or ESPN2, 8 p.m.*

This is the schedule. Honestly, considering the stinkers on here outside of GT @ FSU, I can see why we're on Raycom it's the second best game of the week though I'm suprised we're not on the U instead of Duke @ NCST which will completely suck as a football game.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby talon on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:50 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Why have the game at noon? Because the ACC is sick and tired of seeing BC win just enough ACC games to go to Tampa with their 300 fans.

BC fans who don't go to Jacksonville or Tampa for the ACCCG have forfeited the right to complain about other BC fans not going to Jacksonville or Tampa.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:52 am

The Raycom thing is credit to BC. Raycom gets 3rd pick after ESPN selects two games. What's weird is that ESPN/ABC is only using one game of their allotted two ACC games. Their ESPN U games come after Raycom has selected. NASCAR and the SEC taking up more ESPN slots is killing the ACC this year.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:52 am

I was counting on that game being a 330 start. :evil:
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:53 am

talon {l Wrote}:

BC fans who don't go to Jacksonville or Tampa for the ACCCG have forfeited the right to complain about other BC fans not going to Jacksonville or Tampa.

I went to Tampa. Can I bitch at the RV driver?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:53 am

The problem is that there are 2 or 3 good SEC games that weekend, so ESPN passed us over.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby shockdoct on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:01 pm

No the ESPN and SEC have a multi-billion dollar tv deal.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:06 pm

That's also unfortunate haha

shockdoct {l Wrote}:No the ESPN and SEC have a multi-billion dollar tv deal.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:06 pm

I'll be that guy. I like the noon start. I have to be somewhere that evening.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:07 pm

A Noon start is fine if you're watching on TV because you have the rest of your day. The Noon start sucks if you're planning on going to the game because it's just too early and everyone is half asleep.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:15 pm

TV picks the game times, not the ACC, Innocentdumbass.

Well that is not entirely true, is it tw? In fact, the ACC isn't all powerful at picking game times (or gamedays) either. Afterall, BC is prohibited from having more than one Thursday Night game every 4 years. This prohibition was created by the local residents who live near Chestnut Hill lobbying with city and state politicians to create this little, fuck-you-football, restriction. So even if ESPN or the ACC wanted to have BC on Thursday Night once a year, because the game is highly rated, 3 of those 4 games would have to be away games. Ratings be damned, ESPN has NO POWER to force a Thursday Night game at Alumni that is for sure.

Now VPI may not have the anal retentive local residents that BC has, but they DO like playing on Thursday Night (Enter Sandman, "...off to never-neverland.") And VPI has an incredible winning percentage with Thursday Night games. In fact, there is only one team that has ever beaten VPI on Thursday Night (a team that has beaten them repeatedly on Thursday Night.) Take one guess as to who that team might be? Is it any wonder why BC wasn't already scheduled to play them on Thursday when we played them at Lane Stadium on Thursday Night in 1995, 2003, 2005, and 2007? (Perhaps there are other forces at work here?)

VT/BC nightgames have been some of the highest rated in ACC history.

On Thursday Night, yes. But this isn't Thursday.

I don't remember seeing the ratings for BC's game vs VPI last year (on Saturday Night) but it wouldn't surprise me if the ratings were so-so, certainly less than the ratings that were had at State College Pennsylvania last Saturday Night. The ACC is not the end-all, be-all, for night game tv ratings. Personally, I'd love it if that game was Saturday Night. We'd all get to see it on tv. The whole nation gets to see it. And BC plays well at night. But there are quite a few other games that week (Florida at LSU being the most obvious) that look to be even more interesting and draw more viewers than BC @ VPI. And if ESPN can't have that game (because CBS has it), then certainly, undefeated Michigan at undefeated Iowa will still be a higher rated game then BC @ VPI.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:17 pm

Just FYI, the VT @ BC game last year was the same night as Red Sox @ Rays Game 6 of the ALCS and the 2007 game on Thursday Night was the same night as Game 2 of the World Series.

So if the rates are skewed, that's the reason.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby WilpertsRevenge on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:26 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:TV picks the game times, not the ACC, Innocentdumbass.

Well that is not entirely true, is it tw? In fact, the ACC isn't all powerful at picking game times (or gamedays) either. Afterall, BC is prohibited from having more than one Thursday Night game every 4 years. This prohibition was created by the local residents who live near Chestnut Hill lobbying with city and state politicians to create this little, fuck-you-football, restriction. So even if ESPN or the ACC wanted to have BC on Thursday Night once a year, because the game is highly rated, 3 of those 4 games would have to be away games. Ratings be damned, ESPN has NO POWER to force a Thursday Night game at Alumni that is for sure.

Now VPI may not have the anal retentive local residents that BC has, but they DO like playing on Thursday Night (Enter Sandman, "...off to never-neverland.") And VPI has an incredible winning percentage with Thursday Night games. In fact, there is only one team that has ever beaten VPI on Thursday Night (a team that has beaten them repeatedly on Thursday Night.) Take one guess as to who that team might be? Is it any wonder why BC wasn't already scheduled to play them on Thursday when we played them at Lane Stadium on Thursday Night in 1995, 2003, 2005, and 2007? (Perhaps there are other forces at work here?)

VT/BC nightgames have been some of the highest rated in ACC history.

On Thursday Night, yes. But this isn't Thursday.

I don't remember seeing the ratings for BC's game vs VPI last year (on Saturday Night) but it wouldn't surprise me if the ratings were so-so, certainly less than the ratings that were had at State College Pennsylvania last Saturday Night. The ACC is not the end-all, be-all, for night game tv ratings. Personally, I'd love it if that game was Saturday Night. We'd all get to see it on tv. The whole nation gets to see it. And BC plays well at night. But there are quite a few other games that week (Florida at LSU being the most obvious) that look to be even more interesting and draw more viewers than BC @ VPI. And if ESPN can't have that game (because CBS has it), then certainly, undefeated Michigan at undefeated Iowa will still be a higher rated game then BC @ VPI.

What? You make zero sense in relation to the the two statements you quoted.
WilpertsRevenge
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:27 pm

There is no way that the Michigan Iowa snoozefest outdraws BC/VT outside of Big Ten country. BC/VT has set a precedent in terms of the type of game that gets played - exciting.

The only reason that this is a noon game is that the TV people think that VT is going to kick the shit out of BC. Period.

Up against a playoff game involving the Red Sox, the VT/BC game was, at the time, the highest TV ratings for a Thursday night game ever. People outside of Boston know that that game is generally a great matchup, and tune in. That is actually why it is always a night game. This year, the TV people don't think so. When BC looks to outsiders to be a legit contender again, that game will go back to being perrenially at night. There is no damn ACC conspiracy. The ACC wants one of its fiercest rivalries on in prime time.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:33 pm

Couldn't agree with you more, nationally, people think VT is going to kick the crap out of us. Hell, VT thinks they're going to kick the crap out of us. I can't really argue but that's the reason the game is at Noon.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby talon on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The ACC wants one of its fiercest rivalries on in prime time.
And the only way the ACC can guarantee that the game is in prime time is scheduling it for a Thursday night.

Scheduling the game on a Saturday means that ESPN gets to choose (directly or indirectly) what time the game is played.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:34 pm

What? You make zero sense in relation to the the two statements you quoted.

What I'm saying is that there are better games for tv the Saturday Night we play VPI even if it would be better for us if the game were at night. And I'm also saying that perhaps VPI might be :whiteflag on playing BC on Thursday Night.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:37 pm

Just FYI, the VT @ BC game last year was the same night as Red Sox @ Rays Game 6 of the ALCS and the 2007 game on Thursday Night was the same night as Game 2 of the World Series.

Great. The Red Sox look to win the wildcard and will probably be playing the same night BC is at VPI. So, another reason for ESPN to broadcast 5-0 Michigan at 5-0 Iowa.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCdee on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:51 pm

I am a little bummed that the game won't be in high def...but I do think it's an advantage to play at The Magical Lane Stadium at noon...hopefully, the crowd won't be as rowdy. I am excited that I'll get to listen to Doc announce the game...keep earning those cheeseburgers!!
:ginger
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:52 pm

I hate Raycomm.
I hate all people named Ray.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:53 pm

...but I do think it's an advantage to play at The Magical Lane Stadium at noon...

Not for BC it isn't. We really, REALLY want to play them at night, and it doesn't matter where we play them.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:55 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:...but I do think it's an advantage to play at The Magical Lane Stadium at noon...

Not for BC it isn't. We really, REALLY want to play them at night, and it doesn't matter where we play them.

With a freshman QB, I'd rather play them in the day at Lane Stadium. It's not even close.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium