McShay on Montel

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

McShay on Montel

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:56 am

2. Boston College RB Montel Harris
It's not easy to garner national attention when playing for a disappointing Boston College team, but Harris earned some love this week for the role he played in the Eagles' 16-10 upset of Clemson. The 5-foot-10, 197-pound junior accounted for 36 of Boston College's 42 rushing attempts in a win that snapped a five-game losing streak, finishing with 142 rushing yards and a 36-yard touchdown catch. Harris may never be a full-time starter in the NFL but he is earning the respect of NFL scouts this fall with his toughness and versatility, which should earn him a spot in the middle rounds of the draft.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=5751649
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: McShay on Montel

Postby branchinator on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:14 am

Harris is great but he doesn't seem like an NFL player to me. He's small but not particularly fast so I'm not sure where he fits in most offenses but hopefully he gets a shot somewhere.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:37 am

I actually disagree. I think Montel, if in the right system, will be a very good back. Many systems require a RB to have vision and cutting ability... not flat-out speed. Emmit Smith was slow as hell... but was perfect for the Cowboys system... same with Terrell Davis. LT is twice as slow as Shon Greene for the Jets, but LT is the better back.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:54 am

I hope he makes it in the NFL, but I fear he will not.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:55 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:I hope he makes it in the NFL, but I fear he will not.

DON'T BE AFRAID!!!
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:58 am

The Raycom guys called him Montel Williams at one point during the game.

NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby chuckiedukes on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:00 pm

There's always a place in the NFL for a RB with great vision, balance, strength and escapability. Look no further than Ahmad Bradshaw, the NFL's leading rusher. He ran a 4.6 at the combine.

Montel may not get drafted high -- or at all -- but he will play on Sundays.
chuckiedukes
n00b

Postby 31southst on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:01 pm

chuckiedukes {l Wrote}:There's always a place in the NFL for a RB with great vision, balance, strength and escapability. Look no further than Ahmad Bradshaw, the NFL's leading rusher. He ran a 4.6 at the combine.

I completely agree. The only problem is I honestly have no idea what Montel will run. If he's 4.6 or under I think he'll find a place. I can't rule out him running something like a 4.7-4.8 and then I don't know.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:01 pm

He's not getting drafted. He might have a Mike Cloud career because he is a hard worker.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:He's not getting drafted. He might have a Mike Cloud career because he is a hard worker.

Probably true. I sure hope he succeeds though.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:12 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:LT is twice as slow as Shon Greene for the Jets.

That is 100% false.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:14 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

That is 100% false.

You mean LT doesn't run a 9 second 40?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:16 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

That is 100% false.

bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:17 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

That is 100% false.

Have you seen the two play this year?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:18 pm

Haha, Baldwinjr gets so worked up over the Jets. He can't even see that pedro is agreeing with him. Adorable.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:26 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
chuckiedukes {l Wrote}:There's always a place in the NFL for a RB with great vision, balance, strength and escapability. Look no further than Ahmad Bradshaw, the NFL's leading rusher. He ran a 4.6 at the combine.

I completely agree. The only problem is I honestly have no idea what Montel will run. If he's 4.6 or under I think he'll find a place. I can't rule out him running something like a 4.7-4.8 and then I don't know.

The broadcasters said yesterday that Ryan Torain runs a 4.71 and he's a quality NFL back. I think if a back has good enough vision he can run in the NFL without an excellent 40 time, but it may be that there are plenty of guys with vision who also have good 40 times.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:29 pm

The problem with Montel is that he lacks literally every measurable that GMs covet. We've seen over the last three years that he's a great back, and I have no doubt that he would succeed in the right NFL system, but I have a hard time seeing NFL GMs recognizing that without watching him extensively as we have.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:33 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

That is 100% false.

Yes. Yes I have. Do you ever not have that giant plunger in your anus?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:46 pm

Wow... I can crap on BC, but the second I make a mistake regarding the back-up RBs for the Jets, I am crucified. I was originally going to use Leon Washington as the example, but then I remember he was traded in the offseason. I meant to use Joe McKnight as the example. I also have a mental block when it comes to Greene. I have trouble thinking of him as a big back as I always remember him as a smaller/average-sized back when he was coming out of Atco.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby branchinator on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:22 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

The broadcasters said yesterday that Ryan Torain runs a 4.71 and he's a quality NFL back. I think if a back has good enough vision he can run in the NFL without an excellent 40 time, but it may be that there are plenty of guys with vision who also have good 40 times.

Ryan Torain is like 230 pounds. He's purely a power back so a 4.7 isn't as big of a deal. Harris is small by NFL standards but doesn't have great speed so that hurts him as a 3rd down back. However, I bet a team that runs zone blocking would potentially be interested in him.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby branchinator on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:25 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

That is 100% false.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe Pedro was only watching the Red Zone channel yesterday and, thus, wasn't able to see ANY of the Jets' RBs...
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:27 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

That is 100% false.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe Pedro was only watching the Red Zone channel yesterday and, thus, wasn't able to see ANY of the Jets' RBs...

Mark Sanchez is really getting it together this year. He's going to be a superstar, and the Jets are the best team in their division.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:29 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

That is 100% false.

Mark Sanchez is really getting it together this year. He's going to be a superstar, and the Jets are the best team in their division.

Yes, and Braylon Edwards = Randy Moss.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:30 pm

SURE BUT HOW MANY JETS GAMES HAVE YOU WATCHED!?!?!?!?!?!
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:30 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

That is 100% false.

Braylon Edwards is like a Randy Moss who can't catch and kind of sucks at running routes.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:39 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

Ryan Torain is like 230 pounds. He's purely a power back so a 4.7 isn't as big of a deal. Harris is small by NFL standards but doesn't have great speed so that hurts him as a 3rd down back. However, I bet a team that runs zone blocking would potentially be interested in him.

NFL website lists him as 6'1" and 212 lbs.

http://www.nfl.com/players/ryantorain/profile?id=TOR105154

Never let facts get in the way.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:44 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

That is 100% false.

Braylon Edwards is like a Randy Moss who can't catch and kind of sucks at running routes.

And drives drunk instead of high
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:02 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

NFL website lists him as 6'1" and 212 lbs.

http://www.nfl.com/players/ryantorain/profile?id=TOR105154

Never let facts get in the way.

6'1 212 is just about the same build as Montel's 5'10 200. I think that Montel will fit in somewhere in the late rounds because of his college production. I think he's a guy that if given the touches will work himself extremely hard to succeed. I don't think he'll be a number 1 back but i think he could be of use to a lot of teams.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:09 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

That is 100% false.

And also, Braylon Edwards is like a Randy Moss that is still on an NFL team.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:14 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

That is 100% false.

And also, Braylon Edwards is like a Randy Moss that is still on an NFL team.

Please stay on topic, bummer.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium