BC-FSU offensive gameplan

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

BC-FSU offensive gameplan

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:10 pm

POINT 1 - FSU is notorious for being unable to stop the spread option. South Florida reiterated this this past weekend. And we have seen it personally with Crane and Harris running the same spread option play like 14 straight times in a backbreaking, game winning drive last season.

POINT 2 - As ATL noted, part of the improvement in the line play was calling more zone blocking plays this past week.

POINT 3 - Zone blocking goes hand in hand with the spread option.

POINT 4 - Tuggle would be a great zone option running QB.

CONCLUSION - Although I have conceded that Shinskie is the guy, Tuggle should see some snaps this weekend. I doubt he will, but that would be taking advantage of a huge FSU weakness. FSU bloggers have blogged endlessly about Mickey Andrews' inability to stop that play.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Re: BC-FSU offensive gameplan

Postby Eagledom on Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:25 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:POINT 1 - FSU is notorious for being unable to stop the spread option. South Florida reiterated this this past weekend. And we have seen it personally with Crane and Harris running the same spread option play like 14 straight times in a backbreaking, game winning drive last season.

POINT 2 - As ATL noted, part of the improvement in the line play was calling more zone blocking plays this past week.

POINT 3 - Zone blocking goes hand in hand with the spread option.

POINT 4 - Tuggle would be a great zone option running QB.

CONCLUSION - Although I have conceded that Shinskie is the guy, Tuggle should see some snaps this weekend. I doubt he will, but that would be taking advantage of a huge FSU weakness. FSU bloggers have blogged endlessly about Mickey Andrews' inability to stop that play.

Agreed. But I think Spaz was determined to find one QB. I hope he realizes the difference between a QB roation and a change of pace.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:29 pm

In the last two games at Alumni, FSU has killed us with interception returns. Therefore I think the offensive gameplan should be:

1.) Run up the middle of first down.
2.) Run up the middle of second down.
3.) Chuck a bomb on third down. Even if its intercepted, it will serve the same purpose as a punt.

Tranq's gotta mix it up a little bit, too. I advise sending in Flutie for some pooch punts on third down. That'll keep FSU on their heels and really help us in the field position battle.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby bcfan85 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:39 pm

the gameplan will be the same one they'll use for all 12 games
bcfan85
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:39 am

bump based on Conroy's speculation.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:46 am

Spot on TW. Unfortunately I think you'll see Shinskie sit in the pocket and get killed like BYU's QB did. I also fear we won't go after Ponder even though South Florida had their way with their Oline on Saturday.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:51 am

Not sure if anyone remembers this, but Gunnell faked a reverse on like every running play last year, and it worked awesome. FSU just looked stuck when Gunnell would fake it and Harris/Haden were ripping off huge runs. The Wildcat would also work well this week for the season reason. Although true, I have no faith in this staff at all putting together a reasonable gameplan.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:51 am

I agree with you ATL, but the fact that Spaz hasn't named a starter after Shinkie's pretty good performance, and his comments about how Shinskie has yet to show that he can do it against an athletic team, lead me to believe that they are actually contemplating it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:02 pm

I am as hate filled for Spaz and Tranq as the next guy, but I see some real opportunities for them to prove me wrong. First up - recognizing that FSU cannot beat a spread option team, and utilization of the right personnel to accomplish this.

Next up, designing a defensive gameplan to adjust for the fact that Albright and Ramella are god awful and need help keeping Tyrod Taylor in the pocket. Same goes for the following week against NCSU.

Finally, a recognition that Jimmy Clausen kills soft zone D, and a gameplan that sends the house at him on a regular basis.

These things are basic issues that any knowledgeable fan, and certainly any good coaching staff, would recognize. The only one that requires anything dramatic is the FSU gameplan. I will give Spaz these 4 weeks to show me that I am wrong about him. There is no reason that BC cannot come out of this 4 game stretch with at least 2 wins. In fact I expect Spaz to have the boys flying for two of those games (NCSU and ND), so I'd like to see 3-1.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:09 pm

There clearly is a way to win this game with proper coaching, therefore I will go in with an open mind about the strategy. Surprise me Spaz.

Note this is not excusing the vanilla playcalling that appeared in previous games.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:12 pm

Has Uncle Dave been named starter? Or are we still switching off?
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:14 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Has Uncle Dave been named starter? Or are we still switching off?

No starter named, which is what led Conroy to his speculation. Spoaz made comments abount not being sure if Shinskie was ready for the athleticism of FSU. However, Spaz did say the QB situation was "status quo", which likely means both that a) Shinskie will start the game and b) they may decide to use both.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:46 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Spot on TW. Unfortunately I think you'll see Shinskie sit in the pocket and get killed like BYU's QB did. I also fear we won't go after Ponder even though South Florida had their way with their Oline on Saturday.

wasn't this the OL your lover said was the best in the ACC? (where's the giraffe smiley when i need it)

*i respect you and your blog
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:30 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Spot on TW. Unfortunately I think you'll see Shinskie sit in the pocket and get killed like BYU's QB did. I also fear we won't go after Ponder even though South Florida had their way with their Oline on Saturday.

If we don't put pressure on Ponderosa then FSU will be riding off into the sunset with a 4 score victory.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby apbc12 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:36 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
If we don't put pressure on Ponderosa then FSU will be riding off into the sunset with a 4 score victory.

:suicide
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby tallsy on Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:42 pm

I was actually encouraged by Spaz's post-game comments this week about getting more pressure on the QB. I think he can see that this is not a vintage FSU team. (Naturally, watch Spaz put on constant pressure this game, and Ponder look like Matt Ryan against Ga Tech.)

As for the QB thing, that's just a tough call. You want to take advantage of Andrews's inability to defend the spread. OTOH, if the lack of stability at QB needs to end and FSU's secondary is there for the taking.

Va Tech - Forget about TT. Just focus on no special teams miscues. The entire team feeds off that energy. In a game without momentum, their offense will be just as stagnant as ours.

If we're looking ahead to ND, the key is to put pressure up the middle. Blitzing from the outside is useless because Clausen will just step up in the pocket and take advantage of man-to-man or find the TE in the seam. I would try some version of the Tampa 2, and deny him the deep outside receiver, and just pray that McLaughlin has remembered how to cover the pass by then.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:32 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:I was actually encouraged by Spaz's post-game comments this week about getting more pressure on the QB. I think he can see that this is not a vintage FSU team. (Naturally, watch Spaz put on constant pressure this game, and Ponder look like Matt Ryan against Ga Tech.)

As for the QB thing, that's just a tough call. You want to take advantage of Andrews's inability to defend the spread. OTOH, if the lack of stability at QB needs to end and FSU's secondary is there for the taking.

Va Tech - Forget about TT. Just focus on no special teams miscues. The entire team feeds off that energy. In a game without momentum, their offense will be just as stagnant as ours.

If we're looking ahead to ND, the key is to put pressure up the middle. Blitzing from the outside is useless because Clausen will just step up in the pocket and take advantage of man-to-man or find the TE in the seam. I would try some version of the Tampa 2, and deny him the deep outside receiver, and just pray that McLaughlin has remembered how to cover the pass by then.

You are wrong about Taylor. He lights Albright and Ramella the fuck up with his wheels.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:03 pm

Bump
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:26 pm

Not sure if this means anything, or if anyone is still wondering who the qb will be but the depth chart for FSU has Shinskie then Tuggle orMarsco

http://bceagles.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/bc/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/depth-chart
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:32 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Not sure if this means anything, or if anyone is still wondering who the qb will be but the depth chart for FSU has Shinskie then Tuggle orMarsco

http://bceagles.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/bc/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/depth-chart

That's more or less what the progression has been the last 4 games. Before it was Tuggle then Shinskie OR Marco. Tuggle will be the #2 guy, just like Shins was #2 when Tuggle started.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium