Looking back....

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Looking back....

Postby eagletx on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:26 am

The good, the bad and the ugly.....

Despite the fact that the Eagles nearly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, I choose to view this game as one more step in a progression to who knows what....but I want to take the half-full approach at this juncture, as we are 3-1...but .....

Good thing: Shinskie appeared to have realized some progression, though there are still some glaringly clear examples of his inexperience and how much further he needs to go. His lobs in the flat may have worked in HS, but... and I did see him look off a receiver once and complete a pass to a secondary choice...he has arm strength....I think he will progess with experience, so let's declare the experimentation over and move on...His performance yesterday on balance was a postive.

Good thing: Finally, FINALLY, I saw some evidence of the kind of player I was led to believe Josh Haden could be...he seemed to really run aggressively to the line and showed explosiveness and little hesitation. That suggests to me that he took a big leap forward in maturity. If he continues to run with the abandon he displayed yesterday, it is very clear his best games are ahead of him.

Good thing: OL turned around from the debaucle of last week. At times they manhandled what was admittedly a not very impressive Wake defense. Being right behind the BC bench, I saw/heard a very emotional Tom Clairborne in the face of some of the dline man at one point in the game, asking them if "that was good enough for you!!???" I assume that goes back to the tiff during practice Thursday, when some players manhood got called out.....

Good thing: We have a real stable of receivers. McMichael's catch was spectacular, Larmond Jr. impresses, and Justin Jarvis had a career game for himself.

Bad thing: Breakdowns in secondary allows big plays. You know, I could villify the secondary but, Skinner could have gotten a haircut and full manicure with the time he had available...so I'll give the secondary a conditional pass, though there did seem to be some mixups that need to be corrected...which leads to...

Bad thing: No effective pass rush or rusher on the DLINE....zero, nada, nil, zilch....this is a big big problem...there is no one on the dline who has shown the speed, technique, or ability to shed a block and get pressure on the QB...nothing there....which leads to....

Worst thing: The defensive play calling never waivered, even as it became increasingly apparent to the 6 year old in front of me that BC had to blitz Skinner and force his hand....they clearly had to supplement the meager pressure supplied by the defensive line, and they didn't...time after time after time after time after time....This was the one thing in my mind that almost cost the game that should not have been that close, frankly....This is a serious coaching/play calling deficiency....

Summary: Wake will go as far as their offense will take them. They were not a good defensive team, and still they nearly won the game in the last 5 mins. The shame of this fiasco falls on McGovern's shoulders, as it was apparent that they were unwilling or unable to come up with something to disrupt Skinner. It wasn't like they were surprised by anything, as the situation evolved continuously over the course of the whole game, where Skinner stood back there and waited, and waited, and waited for a receiver to break open....and McGovern apparently didn't try anything different to disrupt the status quo. Ugh.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Re: Looking back....

Postby WarEagle on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:33 am

I agree with pretty much everything. The biggest thing I pulled from yesterday is that this team can win games, but they need to be used correctly.
WarEagle
Carney Hall

Postby 15Radnor on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:09 am

Agreed on all counts.
94, thanks for the motivation!
15Radnor
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:35 am

Can I get a ruling on whether we can start spelling "debacle" "d-e-b-a-c-l-e"?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:37 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Can I get a ruling on whether we can start spelling "debacle" "d-e-b-a-c-l-e"?

Sorry, that invalidates whatever I said.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:51 am

Finally, FINALLY, I saw some evidence of the kind of player I was led to believe Josh Haden could be...

Hold on. I think you are being WAY too critical of Haden.

He is an 18 or 19 year old true sophmore. He did not redshirt (yet). I doubt he will. He is playing against men 2 or 3 (sometimes 4) years older than him. Cut him some slack. Yes, he looked excellent yesterday. God only knows how much we will need that speed and explosiveness vs FSU on Saturday. But I don't think it is fair to have expected him to be some world beater tailback by now and we have been waiting much too long for a game like this to happen.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:45 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Can I get a ruling on whether we can start spelling "debacle" "d-e-b-a-c-l-e"?

Sorry, that invalidates whatever I said.

Oh,, no, I agreed with everything you said. Just the third or fourth time you talked about the dabaucle and I was trying to figure out what that was.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:59 pm

relieved that the o-Line was better. Not upset completely with the secondary, hard to do anything when skinner has years. I offer a solution a 3-4 defense. We don't have great pass rushing d-lineman so we use a linebacker as an every down blitzer. This way we could also get big mac and Kuechly on the field at the same time. I also would not be opposed to the Momah switch to DE. It would be great to have a speed rusher in the school of Kiwi.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:01 pm

And Haden was hurt all of last year.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:12 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:relieved that the o-Line was better. Not upset completely with the secondary, hard to do anything when skinner has years. I offer a solution a 3-4 defense. We don't have great pass rushing d-lineman so we use a linebacker as an every down blitzer. This way we could also get big mac and Kuechly on the field at the same time. I also would not be opposed to the Momah switch to DE. It would be great to have a speed rusher in the school of Kiwi.

HJS is going to have a field day with this.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:37 pm

Prevent D is always disgustiad, especially when you have a DL who can't get to the QB.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:59 pm

De-Buckle

It's what the whalepants do after the early Thanksgiving feeding.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:38 pm

Watching the last 2 drives for WF there were 16 snaps and we brought a blitz on only 3 of those plays for a 19% frequency.

Of the three blitzes, twice we brought an extra LB, once we brought 6. During those 3 blitzes, one resulted in a holding penalty, another was a 2 yard scramble by Skinner.

One of my friends is having lunch with Spaz, I told him to ask about the disgustiad on the last 2 drives.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:43 pm

Larmond was wide open in the endzone in OT my God what a joke.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:46 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Watching the last 2 drives for WF there were 16 snaps and we brought a blitz on only 3 of those plays for a 19% frequency.

Of the three blitzes, twice we brought an extra LB, once we brought 6. During those 3 blitzes, one resulted in a holding penalty, another was a 2 yard scramble by Skinner.

One of my friends is having lunch with Spaz, I told him to ask about the disgustiad on the last 2 drives.

As Dan rather would say....what is the frequency..

Blitzing is a repetitive practiced skill and timing and instinct move.

BC has never blitzed much so increasing the frequency is a start, but you better ahve a DC who knows how, where and when.

BC DOES NOT HAVE THESE TYPES OF COACHES LIKE LSU AND SOUTH CAROLINA.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby MoMoneyBC on Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:22 pm

we need an akins type player to pass rush
MoMoneyBC
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:32 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:relieved that the o-Line was better. Not upset completely with the secondary, hard to do anything when skinner has years. I offer a solution a 3-4 defense. We don't have great pass rushing d-lineman so we use a linebacker as an every down blitzer. This way we could also get big mac and Kuechly on the field at the same time. I also would not be opposed to the Momah switch to DE. It would be great to have a speed rusher in the school of Kiwi.

I don't know what you are talking about. I happen to agree with this Merryman. If we can switch from man-blocking to zone-blocking from snap to snap on the Oline... I have no idea why we can't seemlessly switch between 4-3 and 3-4.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:32 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I don't know what you are talking about. I happen to agree with this Merryman. If we can switch from man-blocking to zone-blocking from snap to snap on the Oline... I have no idea why we can't seemlessly switch between 4-3 and 3-4.

5 stars for your sarcasm.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:40 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

5 stars for your sarcasm.

I am not saying that this will happen or could happen this season, I'm saying that this would be the best thing for this specific team. I know that this won't happen we will have to come up with other ways to get to the QB but this is what would work if this was a madden team and you could completely change schemes with the drop of a hat.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium