Questions About the D

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Questions About the D

Postby billyshelby on Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:36 pm

Watching the shockdot feed (and thanks for that) was difficult. Offense is a little easier to pick up than D, though. So...

1) Why did our secondary get so torched?
2) It didn't seem we blitzed at all in the last 8 minutes, but did we run exclusively prevent?

I could see we got no rush all game, but I couldn't tell if we weren't blitzing, getting beat on good passes, or just getting flat out beat.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Re: Questions About the D

Postby janebc on Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:39 pm

We didn't blitz at all, and I still do not understand why. You are right-our secondary got torched, with a few exceptions.
janebc
McGuinn Hall

Postby 15Radnor on Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:42 pm

No blitz=Receivers running around everywhere=More difficult for secondary to cover.

Also, the Cushion was in full effect. Skinner is accurate and exploited it.
94, thanks for the motivation!
15Radnor
Carney Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:44 pm

15Radnor {l Wrote}:Also, the Cushion was in full effect. Skinner is accurate and exploited it.

And this was what was the most aggravating thing about Tranq and Spaz's decision to kill clock with so much time left. I would be ok with the decision if 1) we attacked the QB on defense after punting and 2) we weren't facing a good, experienced QB like Skinner. Given that neither happened, you've got to nut up and see if your freshman QB can get the ball downfield and put the game away.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:49 pm

Like Shinskie, the Snake had all day to throw. The secondary could only do so much. I will admit that Fletcher got burned bad on that big pass play in the first quarter.

Does "exclusively prevent" mean only 3 down linemen? If so, no, they rushed four. But they still couldn't keep Skinner and Wake's receivers inbounds.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:51 pm

with no pass rush, skinner had a ton of time in the backfield all day. Its just impossible for the secondary to be able to cover when a QB has that much time in the backfield. That being said, Skinner is a solid college QB and made some good throws. Fletcher got totally burned and misplayed that ball up the wake sideline, and the secondary got caught cheating on that long Wake run.

I really thought that the defense, for the first 3 quarters, did a great job containing Wake, considering the lack of pressure that Skinner was under. I also think that Skinner was able to exploit our youth at the linebacker position. He seemed to hit alot of guys in the middle of the field while he had all day back there, areas that a linebacker would most likely be dropping back to cover.

I just dont understand why McGovern is so adamant about NOT bringing any pressure outside of the 4 man rush. The defensive front did nothing, except allow Scafe to make some bonehead plays, and the passiveness was the reason Wake got back in this game.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Byrdcall J on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:19 pm

To be fair, I think I saw BC blitz one time during those two drives and it was on Skinner's first TD pass in the fourth quarter. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we brought two outside linebackers on the rush but it completely failed and Skinner calmly threw it into the endzone.
Byrdcall J
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:28 pm

Byrdcall J {l Wrote}:To be fair, I think I saw BC blitz one time during those two drives and it was on Skinner's first TD pass in the fourth quarter. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we brought two outside linebackers on the rush but it completely failed and Skinner calmly threw it into the endzone.

You're right and I still think it was the correct call. I was fine with it. Too little, too late.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:29 pm

BC has been playing the DE up on the strong side a lot this season. Makes it look like an OLB blitzing. But I do recall that they brough McLaughlin on that play.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Byrdcall J on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:05 pm

Not sure if anyone else caught the end of ND-Purdue, but after Purdue got the ball back they were down 3 points with about 30 seconds and had two timeouts lefts. Not really a lot of time to work with but certainly there was at least some risk of Purdue completing a pass or two over the middle to get them within range of a desperation field goal, but rather than tempt fate, Tenuta threw everything at the Purdue QB on first down, who crumpled to the ground helplessly beneath the blitzing Irish D. A stark contrast from the cushion we saw repeatedly during the 4th quarter of the BC game.
Byrdcall J
Carney Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:27 pm

Almost finished watching the game back. One of the main problems with the D was McLaughlin. He was guessing at times and was getting burned in pass coverage. He probably needs to be the back up until he is 100%. he was a definite liability today.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:42 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Almost finished watching the game back. One of the main problems with the D was McLaughlin. He was guessing at times and was getting burned in pass coverage. He probably needs to be the back up until he is 100%. he was a definite liability today.

The main problem with the defense is that Ramella and Albright are the two worst pass rushers in the history of college football. Also, if you are going to play nickel and rush 3-4, put some god damn corners in the game to cover the backs and receivers. 8 seconds to throw + McLaughlin covering a back or WR = unfair.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:23 am

billyshelby {l Wrote}:Watching the shockdot feed (and thanks for that) was difficult. Offense is a little easier to pick up than D, though. So...

1) Why did our secondary get so torched?
2) It didn't seem we blitzed at all in the last 8 minutes, but did we run exclusively prevent?

I could see we got no rush all game, but I couldn't tell if we weren't blitzing, getting beat on good passes, or just getting flat out beat.

ZERO pass rush allowed Wake to get wide open. Skinner had forever to throw.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:24 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Almost finished watching the game back. One of the main problems with the D was McLaughlin. He was guessing at times and was getting burned in pass coverage. He probably needs to be the back up until he is 100%. he was a definite liability today.

The main problem with the defense is that Ramella and Albright are the two worst pass rushers in the history of college football. Also, if you are going to play nickel and rush 3-4, put some god damn corners in the game to cover the backs and receivers. 8 seconds to throw + McLaughlin covering a back or WR = unfair.

That did not play nickle; they stuck to the base 4-3.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:00 am

I think in the last 7 years this exact post had been made...elelventy billion times.

No pass rush and we do not blitz....

More cushion space that my kids future perverted boyfriend needs to learn--2 sofa cushions.

We Blitz??

You blend??

BC need a complete nuclear enema flush job of our AD through our football staff except for Loco.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:02 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

See Hail MAry post.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:07 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I meant if you are going to play prevent, play nickel.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Return to Alumni Stadium