Moss

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Moss

Postby claver2010 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:33 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Santonio is bigger than you think.

Clearly I don't know him like you do. :orca

I respek you
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:34 am

I'd take Holmes over Edwards any day.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:40 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'd take Holmes over Edwards any day.

As would I. He has much better hands.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:36 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

I don't get the Dougie. Never have.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:58 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:They'll be lucky to make the playoffs this year and going forward.

Whupps.

*I still respeck you.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:03 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Just because this board has been dead for a while:

Braylon Edwards: 33-598-6
Randy Moss: 23-339-5

Over their careers Moss has been better no question but this year Braylon has been much better esp considering Moss has had 2 HOF QBs throwing to him while Braylon has a "terrible QB"

Updated...
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:08 am

Throwing to Braylon Edwards on 3rd down = :whiteflag

Carry on.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:45 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Don't think they are going to run away with it but it is safe to say they are the best team in the division.

This thread is hilarious this morning.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:58 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Don't think they are going to run away with it but it is safe to say they are the best team in the division.

Hilarious? No. Funny? Yes.

twballgame9 {l Wrote}: Trading Moss makes no sense. Period. Trading Seymour made perfect sense.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DrJackRyan on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:03 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:Yeah, there must have been some sort of a blow-up, because this just doesn't make sense. The Pats need the weapons this year, because they're just going to have to outscore people sometimes. As a Bills fan, I can say that any team that we put up 30 on has some serious defensive deficiencies. (Although 7 of those were on special teams, still...)

The Pats D always gets much better as the year goes on, but yeah, this defense is young and stupid, though potentially dominant down the road. They need to score points.

The Pats defense is not going to get better this year. It's full of morons like Meriweather who are more concerned with SportsCenter than winning.

Trading Randy Moss for a mid round draft pick reeks of the "we're smarter than you!" arrogance that the Pats have been displaying the last 3 years. Same with the Richard Seymour deal. They won't keep either draft pick ultimately as they'll trade down, pick up some back up scrub, and they'll be out of the league in 4 years.

The continued downfall of the Patriots...gotta love it.

The dark night of failure is always descending on the Patriots and yet it is always landing on the Jets.
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:18 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

twballgame9 {l Wrote}: Trading Moss makes no sense. Period. Trading Seymour made perfect sense.

Meh, nobody could forsee the trade for Branch, which made this trade a lot more reasonable. Otherwise the Pats' WR corps was Welker, Tate, Price, and Edelman. Not exactly putting the fear into defenses.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:43 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

Meh, nobody could forsee the trade for Branch, which made this trade a lot more reasonable. Otherwise the Pats' WR corps was Welker, Tate, Price, and Edelman. Not exactly putting the fear into defenses.

Why? you honestly think Branch is that much of a difference maker? His career since being traded by the Pats surely doesn't suggest that. The guy couldn't get playing time over Fat Mike Williams for Coach Sunshine Carroll..

Brady makes good receivers great... The idea you need a dominant WR is a hoax of sorts, with a great accurate QB the WR doesn't have to get open by 5+ yards to catch a pass... That clear out first down to branch was a great example in the first half. Woodhead split out slot left, and ran a clearout... Branch faked outside and got a half step to the inside of cromartie...Brady gets the ball there = big first down..
They run that shit all day long...
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:06 pm

The Knife of Asia {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

Why? you honestly think Branch is that much of a difference maker? His career since being traded by the Pats surely doesn't suggest that. The guy couldn't get playing time over Fat Mike Williams for Coach Sunshine Carroll..

Brady makes good receivers great... The idea you need a dominant WR is a hoax of sorts, with a great accurate QB the WR doesn't have to get open by 5+ yards to catch a pass... That clear out first down to branch was a great example in the first half. Woodhead split out slot left, and ran a clearout... Branch faked outside and got a half step to the inside of cromartie...Brady gets the ball there = big first down..
They run that shit all day long...

Brady and Branch have an uncanny chemistry together. And that accounts for something huge.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:33 am

It says something about how the Jets view Braylon Edwards that they decide not to re-sign him in no small part due to questions about his character and instead sign a guy who's been in jail for almost two years.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:38 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:It says something about how the Jets view Braylon Edwards that they decide not to re-sign him in no small part due to questions about his character and instead sign a guy who's been in jail for almost two years.

I'd obviously prefer Braylon over Plaxico but I think Braylon will command a little more than 1 year for $3 mill. They needed money to sign another starting CB -not that I'm in love with Cromartie either.

Edit: But thank god they didn't sign Moss.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:42 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:It says something about how the Jets view Braylon Edwards that they decide not to re-sign him in no small part due to questions about his character and instead sign a guy who's been in jail for almost two years.

I'd obviously prefer Braylon over Plaxico but I think Braylon will command a little more than 1 year for $3 mill. They needed money to sign another starting CB -not that I'm in love with Cromartie either.

It kind of sucks for the Jets the way Cromartie had them by the balls after Asomugha signed with Philly. Like Hayneworth, despite his talent he is one of the last guys in the world you want to have to depend on.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:50 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

It kind of sucks for the Jets the way Cromartie had them by the balls after Asomugha signed with Philly. Like Hayneworth, despite his talent he is one of the last guys in the world you want to have to depend on.

Eh 4 for 32 isn't terrible considering the market for CBs this week (which has been an absurd week).

Make no mistake Cro is a fucking moron (just read his twitter machine sometimes) but I'd rather have someone with his issues than someone like Haynesworth or Moss who openly just quit on the field.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:54 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Eh 4 for 32 isn't terrible considering the market for CBs this week (which has been an absurd week).

Make no mistake Cro is a fucking moron (just read his twitter machine sometimes) but I'd rather have someone with his issues than someone like Haynesworth or Moss who openly just quit on the field.

Moss never quit on the Pats, and putting him in the same category as Haynesworth is ridiculous, but at least this thread is now back on topic. :dildodog
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:55 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Not a Jets fan, but this was a good price for a guy who already knows the system, coaches and players. He's also an excellent kick returner.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:56 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Moss never quit on the Pats, and putting him in the same category as Haynesworth is ridiculous, but at least this thread is now back on topic. :dildodog

It doesn't matter what team he was on when he quit on the field, it's just that he does is the problem I have with him.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:03 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

It doesn't matter what team he was on when he quit on the field, it's just that he does is the problem I have with him.

While it doesn't impact my evaluation of his character (which obviously isn't very high), this absolutely matters from a practical perspective. That Moss has only quit on losing teams indicates that he wants to play for a winner, and the fact that the Jets will win more than they will lose over the next few years indicates that Moss would be a better risk for a team like New England or NYJ than it would be for a team like Cleveland or Cincinnati. This is obviously a hypothetical as it's not happening, but it's very much relevant in terms of the likeliness of the player being dependable.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:06 am

You do realize there's something called a salary cap in the National Football League, right? Because it doesn't sound like you do.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:08 am

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Not a Jets fan, but this was a good price for a guy who already knows the system, coaches and players. He's also an excellent kick returner.

It's not the $$ that I'm critical nor is it his talent, it's the four years that I find to be borderline unconscionable. Just in the way that I would be beside myself about the Pats signing a Moss or a Haynesworth or even an Ochocinco to a four year deal (and I know that Cromartie is better at this point in his career than any of the guys I just mentioned), the external off-the-field issues make the length of this deal a tremendous risk. The fact that there weren't any other top-notch CBs on the market after Asomguha signed elsewhere is what gave Cromatie all the leverage in the negotiation, and it's why he was able to get a very player-friendly deal.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:11 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

You do realize there's something called a salary cap in the National Football League, right? Because it doesn't sound like you do.

I realize that the NFL salary cap is largely a crock of shit that can be fairly easily manipulated, and that this is something the Jets to their credit have mastered. How else would you explain a $50 million deal for Santonio Holmes with a cap hit of merely $2.5 million?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:12 am

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

This. Would've preferred a 3 year deal, as they're kind of already giving up on Wilson which I don't like, but it is what it is when you're in a win now mode. He'll be the kick returner, and while it is an injury risk doing so, he is explosive.

Signing Plax and Cromartie over Braylon is a no brainer.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:15 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

When has that stopped the Jets from signing big names before? Seriously, though, they go out, sign a big name, and have a bunch of guys restructure. It's typically a good practice in the short-term but it will more than likely get your ass in the long-term as it continually defers the charges until later on. That's what got the Cowboys and 49ers in the late-90s, early-2000s.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:16 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

I realize that the NFL salary cap is largely a crock of shit that can be fairly easily manipulated, and that this is something the Jets to their credit have mastered. How else would you explain a $50 million deal for Santonio Holmes with a cap hit of merely $2.5 million?

You're an idiot. They did manipulate it to the max. Look at the players they have on their team. If you think Tannenbaum said, gee, I'd rather have Plaxico over a guy who's been in the system for two years, has a great relationship with Sanchez, over 1000 yards and 8 touchdowns last year, you're an idiot.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:18 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

When has that stopped the Jets from signing big names before? Seriously, though, they go out, sign a big name, and have a bunch of guys restructure. It's typically a good practice in the short-term but it will more than likely get your ass in the long-term as it continually defers the charges until later on.

I used to believe this, but not anymore. The Patriots-mouthpiece Boston media has been telling us this for 6 or 7 years now, but I see no appreciable change in the Jets' ability to get the guys they want in trades and free agency. I thought it was supposed to catch up with them 2 or 3 years ago, but it never happened. The NFL cap is a borderline scam. The Patriots' and Jets' approaches to building a team are diametrically opposed, but I truly believe now that both methods can work.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:21 am

The Jets couldn't resign Holmes, Edwards, Cromartie, and Smith (not to mention other important players)...to think they could would be stupid. Check out what those players were making last year, then come back to me and say they could.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:24 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

You're an idiot. [bunch of non-coherent ramblings]

I don't for a second believe that it was as simple as a one-or-the-other proposition. The Holmes deal as an example that teams can offer big contracts with small cap hits (so that they are both team and player friendly in the short-term) is absolutely relevant in demonstrating that the Jets likely could have signed both Cromartie and Edwards had they chosen to. Obviously salaries had something to do with the Jets' signing Plax as opposed to Braylon, but I believe that Edwards' less than stellar dependability did as well.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium